Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Where the heck did this come from??? Blanco River in Hays county suppose to crest at 27'!!!! Flood stage is 13'! Raining like all the dickens here!! Daughter took he SIL to VA in Austin this morning. Said they just stuck em in the tornado shelter!

Hadn't had a chance to go look in rain gauge yet. just came on news with tornado warning just about 10 miles west of us!

What a morning!
Posted By: poboy Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Helluvalot of water in Austin.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Yeah ! Was watching the weather til I lost satellite com. You alright there?

Flooding again here! Thunder, lightening, and it's raining pitchforks and Ni66a babies!!!
Posted By: milespatton Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Bob, watch out for that tornado. miles
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
NWS reports tornado damage near you.

I guess it's safe to say your drought is over, huh? It's always like the Morton Salt motto, isn't it?

Wish we could get some. Our water year starts Oct 1, and we're already 2" behind the 2.5" we were supposed to get this normally "wet" month. I recorded a whopping 0.09" at my house yesterday. Whoopee.

Major changes coming in November, they say. Sure hope so. Had our first light frost this morning, so that's at least a hint of change.
So far so good. But it was close according to NWS! Iphone alert hasn't gone off yet. Hell it might not!
Posted By: tommygs Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
raining like heck in north austin. i love it, i love it, i love it. it's always better when it's wetter.
Hey Bob, you ever heard of Dozier Knives? a friend of mine sent me one. i showed it to Bryan and Prather, and they both raised their eyebrows and said that thing was the Wilson Combat of hunting knives.
Well iphone alert finally went off to tell us we are in the middle
Of a flash flood warning! Duh!!!!

Looks like hi wind stuff may be passed us now.

Be careful driving to the shop Tom! Hope the bilge pumps are working! LOL! Dunno if the boss man can handle another flooded show room!
Mark's the guy to ask about that knife! I've heard of em but I'm the white trash of knife owners.
I'm off today. was planning on a trip to academy, and one to sam's club. gotta take care of a few chores. am waiting on it to slack off a bit before i head out.
Don't forget your canoe!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Even raining out here! Participated in a prescribed fire workshop over in Capitan yesterday and it rained out our ranch trip. Drove in rain all the way home and we had thundershowers all night long. Still dripping this morning. El Nino is here!
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I'm the white trash of knife owners.

I can identify!

Lookin' at the radar map, looks like you folks are fixin to get doused. Move yer pipe tobacco upstairs, amigo!
Done deal house sits 4' off the deck! If we start floating here, there are some cities around here that are going to have a few issues!!!! LOL!!!!

Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Originally Posted by tommygs
Hey Bob, you ever heard of Dozier Knives? a friend of mine sent me one. i showed it to Bryan and Prather, and they both raised their eyebrows and said that thing was the Wilson Combat of hunting knives.

good knives, even better friend to give you one.

[Linked Image]
Nice!!!!
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Rained an inch and half here.

So far. Still drizzling.
That's the kind a rain to get Gene! We seem to get it all at once!!!
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
You all stay safe in the bad weather.
Oops! Phone just went off again, tornado warnIng til 11.
Out my bedroom window

[Linked Image]
News talking about record breaking flooding
now. Supposed to be rain thru tomorrow a.m.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Stay safe. Nothing to speak of here. Other than 5 acre grass fire yesterday that was so wet we had to fight the whole thing by hand to stop it. That sucked.

Had to get out of the deer stand before light this morning. We were not supposed to rain until 5pm today or so... the thunder got me off the tripod at 645am....

I've heard of 10 inches in an hour in some places... fire stations in Buda supposed to have 2-3 feet of water inside them
Posted By: EdM Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Kept me up most of the night here between Bergheim and Kendelia. Been on and off this AM but just started pouring again with pretty healthy winds. Needless to say the pool is full and the rain catchment tank is near so. Good news.
Rain has stopped for now. 8" in alread saturated ground! Watched one fence wash out! About 50 yards or so. Had a big burn pile I was about to burn get picked up and floated into fence! Foot and a half of water in front yard. But my new shop in back is ok!!!!! Daughter said they saw cars in town completely inundated. They can't get home yet either. Lots of roads underwater.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Originally Posted by mudhen
Even raining out here! Participated in a prescribed fire workshop over in Capitan yesterday and it rained out our ranch trip. Drove in rain all the way home and we had thundershowers all night long. Still dripping this morning. El Nino is here!

Two days of scattered and localized heavy stuff, with some complete cover delivering a gentle steady drizzle. GREAT "growing Weather".

Hope all our Texicans are holding on, in good shape.

GTC
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
You guys stay safe up there.

Send some southward!

No rain here yet.

News just said more flooding at Wimberley.
Onion creek highest ever recorded in Buda!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
just sprinkling in Houston at the moment. Hope it quits fairly early tomorrow, I need to work on deer feeders this weekend, before the opener next weekend smile
Saying tornado hit Wimberley...

You guys keep your heads down!
Posted By: TomA Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Got up at 5 AM to go hunting. Light rain and warm temps. Left the house about 5:30 headed west on 1604 towards I 10 West. Rain got heavier the further west I went. Standing water on highway pulling hard on steering in places. Got to Camp Bullis only to find some 3 feet of water across roadway. Turned around and came home. Found out that at least one car was swept off road after I left. No barricades were up when I got there. Tom
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Out my bedroom window

[Linked Image]
Maybe you should hail Noah's ark when he comes by.
It got deeper Ken! smile
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Guess your drought is over.

Be safe Bob and the rest of you Texans.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Bob, is the new Conex positioned higher than the anticipated peak ?

GTC
Posted By: Scott F Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Beautiful day here in San Diego today. You just stay safe and dry.
Yes!!! Was worried about it. Went out and it is just fine! Suprised hell out of me! I knew for sure there would be 6" of water in it! But high and dry!!! Now dumbazz messkins that put granite counter top factory behind me, well they don't call em wets for nuthin! laugh
Blanco River crested At 42.56 feet. Deadly Memorial Day flood it crested at 43'!
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Just been drizzling here - since last evening. Had .4" when I looked around 7AM. been off & on every since.

Someone needs to post that old Johnny Cash song - "How High's the Water, Momma" for you folks down Texas way!

Read this AM that the hurricane stormed across Mexico, but hurt very few - as 200 million Mexicans were in the USA at the time smile
LOL!!!! Good one Mark!!!

Hell IH 35 closed in San Marcos!!!

Daughter is in town. Just told her to get more beer!!!!!!
I'm goin' on a beer run between downpours.
Be back!
Passes for humor here today!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mudhen Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Saw some pictures on facebook of flooding at Barton Springs and Onion Creek--Wow! ABQ Journal had a story about a church group being rescued from the second floor of a B&B down in Wimberley. Apparently some of their cars were washed away. Onion Creek at Buda set a new flood crest record.

Reminds me of some of the floods back in the 1960s, but these are worse--more concrete, more infrastructure and more people!
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
I just emptied my guage........ three inches so far today........ still drizzling.
Some of the worst flash floods I've ever seen were in places named Arroyo Seco!
Just checked the guage - had .4" last night, and another .5" in it now.
And we're a LONG way from your turf!
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Just checked the guage - had .4" last night, and another .5" in it now.
And we're a LONG way from your turf!

Good for you guys!

Hell, not had any out of this spell. It all went to the Austin area.

Maybe late tonight. wink
Posted By: RIO7 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Damn Bob, put your hip boots on, no rain here, but real windy may get some rain tonight. Rio7
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
We have had 1.6" since midnight. Thank you Lord.

Jim
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15

rain is good.......in our parts.......

hang in there guys...........
Starting a wrap-around here, now we'll get a bit more from the back side.
Won't be long 'til it's snow in that neck of the woods.
Posted By: TomA Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
Just heard on the news that there was a fatality on Camp Bullis.I turned around at the low water crossing about 6:15 AM and that is when they say the vehicle was swept away. It may in fact be another hunter, they have not released a name. Tom.
Posted By: EdM Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/30/15
I took a walk down to the Guadalupe and it is clearly up a fair bit but nothing like the last storms. A neighbors pond is about four feet from running over the weir so he gathered a bunch from my walk on Tuesday. My catchment tank is 3/4 full.
Our first snow is usually around Halloween. Supposed to clear out and drop to around 30 tonight. If the clouds dissipate, it'll get flat cold - maybe 20 or below.
Just talked to my brother - he didn't get much of his hay baled before it rained. Luckily he only got a quarter inch - rain seems to be going around him. Hope his luck holds, as he's only about 85 miles north of me.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Round town just started. More later.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Hope y'all are still OK, Bob! Hang in there, Buddy!
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Just heard on the news that there was a fatality on Camp Bullis.I turned around at the low water crossing about 6:15 AM and that is when they say the vehicle was swept away. It may in fact be another hunter, they have not released a name. Tom.

Sad news! I was all over that base on a motorcycle back in the days, bird counts. In the dark and wet easy to see how that could happen.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Hope y'all are still OK, Bob! Hang in there, Buddy!

This!

Let us know.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Two school buses stalled out in high water yesterday morning eek , far north fringe of town in the Hill Country.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...respond-to-high-water-rescue-6600324.php

The creeks coming south through town were way up all day with the runoff.

Maybe two or three inches down on the flats where I'm at. This past few rains have made it real apparent how the marginally higher elevations north of us trigger rains that pass over our heads.

Looks like its going to be Seattle here this winter. The creeks being up is prob'y gonna put a cramp on my weekend morning dog-walking for a spell, most of the green spaces in this town are the flood plains where ya can't build anyway.

Over the past few years they've put in about thirty miles of paved hike/bike trails along the creeks that have transformed this town. I guess this winter we're all gonna see how good a job the engineers did when they planned 'em.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: rost495 Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
it was rough sounding this morning, but we only got 1.5 inches of heavy rain.

I didn't see the news as I finally got to sleep in for once... tagged a buck last night so I didn't have to get up and shower and grab the bow again. LOL.
Posted By: poboy Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Congrats!
Rain stopped sun out and Jeff sent me pick of his buck!!! Dang nice deer!

Dunno if grand daughter made it out for youth hunt this morning.

Looks like anothe inch and a half of rain. Thundered and lightening to all hell!
waiting on sun here. Deer are all over the place.

Only had 1.5 inches total, we were on the edge of all that bad stuff yesterday, and thankful for that actually.

Now I can get back to working on a few guns and checking zero's for friends that wait until the last minute always.

Gives me an excuse to shoot my 257 though, just in case... haven't shot it in a year.... the 300/221 is always on, gets a working the whole year with the can, nice friendly round out to about 150 or so.

Hope like hekc I can plant my last 3 oats patches today/Sunday.

The dang buck that showed up was very old and mature and decided to camp out on the rifle range.... which meant no shooting for me... happens every 5 yeras or so, didn't want to spook him, even though its halloween. LOL.

It thundered so bad here, I figured the pager was bound to go off eventually, but we still ain't out of any of it, fires in houses can be hours later and low water rescue can still happen....
Posted By: milespatton Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Raining here now. Started around midnight, and has been pretty steady, although not real hard. miles
Well hope Yall don't get as much as we did Miles! Be safe
Posted By: texasbatman Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Originally Posted by rost495
it was rough sounding this morning, but we only got 1.5 inches of heavy rain.

I didn't see the news as I finally got to sleep in for once... tagged a buck last night so I didn't have to get up and shower and grab the bow again. LOL.

Congrats on the buck. Nothing like taking one with a bow. smile We got another 2" here. A lot of it passed just to the east of us. It was still drizzling here this morning but is supposed to clear up today.

Glad all of you are safe.

Jim
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Wow! More rain!! - 10/31/15
Rain passed.

Got 1/4" total.

What you guys in the hill country got will be rolling down the rivers here in a couple of days though. wink
Been in some bad thunderstorms on Bullis back in the day. Water runs to the creeks and low spots real fast on all that limestone. In '76 we had a battalion exercise there (USMCR) they secured about 0 dark thirty due to lightening! It hit several trees around us! Just like artillery!! Freakin' unreal! Rain was coming down in buckets!!! We tried to assault a position, lightening was like daylight! A real CF of a time!

we almost washed away at Bullis once on the way to the ranges.... I can't even recall the range name we shot on....

But there was a low water crossing, a car drove across in front of us, I didn't recall it being very deep at all, I totally forgot there where the little concrete curb blocks on it.. couldn't see them... uh oh...

Evidently the larger car we were driving obviously had more profile... it slid sideways the whole time we were creeping across... made it though..

Never again.... safely learned that lesson.

Have been trapped back there too, seems we were on F range but not sure.

Posted By: Wtxj Re: Wow! More rain!! - 11/04/15
Well the rain is supposed to start early in the morning again. Close to opening Saturday. mad
© 24hourcampfire