Home
http://youtu.be/4hcky95pj-8

This guy knows the proper way to operate a bolt rifle! It appears that the length of pull and eye relief aren't quite proper for his build because he's having to remove his cheek from atop the comb of the stock to operate the bolt but he can damn sure kill running boar! Anyone using a bolt rifle that has to remove the butt stock from their shoulder to operate the bolt hasn't had proper training!
anyone that has to move their head doens't have it set up correctly either.....
now that I watched... what a crock of chit commentary.... geez...
It's amazing that so many completely inept and ignorant people somehow manage to hit what they intend to hit.
Results trump technique.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Results trump technique.

Nothing wrong his results for certain!!
I watched a interview with him and he stated he shoots a long length of pull because he shoulders the rifle wierd due to shooting adult guns as a kid.

He also shoots a 270 winchester not a 7mm mag as the video states.

I wish the Boar Fever videos were sold in the USA.

Dink
Originally Posted by rost495

Ugh...I think I mentioned that!

Did it freeze up your way over night??
I didn't watch. Did he use a sling?
You guys do a lot of shooting at multiple running targets? Little tricky to acquire them through the scope at short ranges.
I'm impressed...
I see we have some economists on the thread.

"Well, yeah, it works in reality, but it totally sucks 'cause it doesn't work in theory..."
The video says he is shooting a 7mm Rem Mag. I don't know what length Sauer uses for that, but some Co.s use a long/magnum action for it. The bolt throw may be too long to keep your head on that stock. Plus he's using his fingers to manipulate the bolt rather than the heal of his hand.

It's easy to keep your head down on a short action and most standard actions too, but magnum actions are too long for me to do that.

He's obviously a practiced & talented shooter, but if I was coaching him I'd change his bolt manipulation.
He put a lot of pigs down in a short amount of time.
Wow! You guys sure must be top level shooters and unbelievably experienced driven boar hunters!

Y'all should share your videos of correct bolt manipulation and better shooting on running animals!
Originally Posted by gonzaga
He put a lot of pigs down in a short amount of time.

Sure did, hard to hit moving targets with a rifle. Dude did good.
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Wow! You guys sure must be top level shooters and unbelievably experienced driven boar hunters!

Y'all should share your videos of correct bolt manipulation and better shooting on running animals!

You don't get the conversation at all do you?
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Ugh...I think I mentioned that!

Did it freeze up your way over night??

Froze last weekend, but not this. 42, been that basically since afternoon Friday, and raining lightly.

Formidilosus, most campfire shooters wouldn't have takes a single one of those boars because they are intentionally under gunned and using some silly trick bullet so they have to wait for the perfect shot, "because placement trumps everything", so they would have never even pulled the trigger, let alone hit anything.

I'll admit I haven't done much with running game, but I can shoot a 10 shot 300 yard rapid fire group the size of your palm.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I see we have some economists on the thread.

"Well, yeah, it works in reality, but it totally sucks 'cause it doesn't work in theory..."

i could not have said it any better.

in theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they are not.
The prince shoots a Custom Stocked Sauer 202 in that video (supposedly chambered in 270 win shooting 150 grain bullets). He's considered one of the finest shots on running game ever.

I am sure he take everyone's advice on bolt manipulation....laughing.

Dink
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Formidilosus, most campfire shooters wouldn't have takes a single one of those boars because they are intentionally under gunned and using some silly trick bullet so they have to wait for the perfect shot, "because placement trumps everything", so they would have never even pulled the trigger, let alone hit anything.

Define 'trick' bullet
Anyone using a bolt rifle that has to remove the butt stock from their shoulder to operate the bolt hasn't had proper training!

Will you come show me the proper way to shoot a right handed bolt, left handed? I must be lacking proper training....
Originally Posted by hillestadj
You guys do a lot of shooting at multiple running targets? Little tricky to acquire them through the scope at short ranges.

I've seen that video on an AimPoint commercial. With both eyes open it is relatively simple to scan for your target then shift to the red dot for precision shots. This guy obviously has the precision part down cold.
I wouldn't mind being inept, like that.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

That about wraps it up. I wish I was that bad....
I am impressed but I will be more impressed when I see the videos of the members post their videos on how to really do it. I mean, after the comments I just read, there are some real good on the run offhand shooters here.

Jus sy'n

W. Bill
Nice shootin'!!!

Originally Posted by ingwe

Dont worry, you could always hire a campfire coach to help ya out. laugh
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Yep! No shortage of folks here to tell you what you are doing wrong! laugh
[img]http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg546/elkhunterinnm/th_IMG_2782.mp4[/img]

the pigs didn't seem to act like it was wrong.
Results trump technique.

Nothing wrong his results for certain!!

Yeah, great if you like lots of gutshot and wounded pigs to lean up.
elkhunternm,

That guy needs a brake for two reasons. One to stay on target and two so he doesn't say, "Ouch," after firing that rifle.

Back the the original post. That is some fine shooting. I cannot work my Pierce titanium from my shoulder. It binds up. But, I have no problem with my Weatherby or Savage. All are long action.
Hate to break it to everybody but there's more than a few thousand people in the US that will do the same thing with a 760 and a 12 pack.

Travis
Guy is a badass on the movers for sure. Think I've watched that video a dozen times over the years.

I didn't see anything but good hits that were putting the front end in the dirt.

My best record on runners was 6 piggies with 7 shots about as fast as I could run and reload an 03 springfield. Twas a good morning and I was on fire, lots of pig blood was spilt and only one that I spined wasn't dead on arrival.
Originally Posted by deflave
Hate to break it to everybody but there's more than a few thousand people in the US that will do the same thing with a 760 and a 12 pack.

Travis

Laffin'

BMT
This 34 yr. old young man is the hereditary Prince of Oettingen-Spielberg, a region in Western Bavaria, Germany.

His direct line dates to the early 1600's. He and his parents were guests at the Royal wedding of Prince Wm and Kate.

So, with a set up like that, why not take up boar shooting.

IIRC, his rifle has a custom stock with extra long LOP to suit his unique shooting style.

The boy is pretty good...

DF
I'd like to see them do it if you take the 12 pack out of the equation.

Travis

More than a few thousand that would gut shoot a cow elk, standing broadside, with their custom long range 338 Lapua......at 50 yards.
Its tactical! Pass the yellow aviators.

Travis

Speaking of 760s and 12 packs. Pa. Rifle season opens tomorrow!
Originally Posted by Pat85

Travis

Speaking of 760s and 12 packs. Pa. Rifle season opens tomorrow!

Hahaha! Get it done!

Travis
Few thing tougher to hit than a moving coyote and this ain't just one prince of fugking Belgium or WTF.

I killed 3 out of 4 hogs in a hayfield one night with a Rem 760 in 30 06. All were running.

I never duplicated it even though I had other opportunities.

You need to have a good hand working the spotlight.
Many of the hunters I see don't appear to know how to manipulate the bolt at all.

I'm more impressed with the coyote shooting in Travis' video than the Prince. Not saying the Prince didn't do some fine shooting.
I was impressed with the coyote guys until they whiffed a couple shots on the slow moving wounded one. Not that I GAS that they aounded a coyote, but come on that thing was a gimme.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Anyone using a bolt rifle that has to remove the butt stock from their shoulder to operate the bolt hasn't had proper training!

Will you come show me the proper way to shoot a right handed bolt, left handed? I must be lacking proper training....

Be mighty proud too being as how I shot one for a couple of years prior to getting a left hand action for NRA HP Match Rifle shooting!!

If you'll do a little research....you'll find out that Gary Anderson did it pretty well also!!
If I was coaching him, Id have him yell GET SOME!!! when blasting running targets.

Few thing tougher to hit than a moving coyote and this ain't just one prince of fugking Belgium or WTF.

Bavaria is a Federal state in the SW of Germany, several Kilometers from Belgium.

DF

Edited to add, bad day for the 'yotes, great shooting.
If I was coaching him, Id have him yell GET SOME!!! when blasting running targets.

grin grin grin
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I am impressed but I will be more impressed when I see the videos of the members post their videos on how to really do it. I mean, after the comments I just read, there are some real good on the run offhand shooters here.

Jus sy'n

W. Bill

Between Sharpsman and myself, if either had a video camera and knew how to post, there is much wasted effort and time there...

BUT there are videos all over competitive how to run a bolt correctly I'm sure.

Unfortunately with the high amount of folks around here that don't get it, I'm for sure saying great shooting, but what I'm saying is with proper training how much BETTER he could be.

Some folks accept whatever, I've always wanted to try to be better and better... I don't always get there but its sure fun trying.

Damn fine shot, no one here arguing that. Commentary sucked. Needs lessons on proper bolt running.

Nothing wrong with being deflave quality instead of an also ran. lol

BTW I don't shoot running game, my comments are related to bolt operation. I have shot moving targets once in my life and won that match easily but it was irons at 300 yards with an AR and a lifesize silhouette, those are easy to hit with half a blade lead... especially from sitting with a sling.
More than one way to skin a cat, but the 'Fire is nothing if not provincial
I'd like to see them do it if you take the 12 pack out of the equation.

Even Popeye was easy to beat till he applied Spinach.

Yep! No shortage of folks here to tell you what you are doing wrong! laugh

👍👍👍
Results trump technique.

I can't beloved in going to say this...

That's there most succinct comment I've seen you post... Ever.
Sometimes It's better to be lucky than good. I have run a bolt action dry a couple times and had there be a dead critter for every piece of brass. I consider myself to be a mediocre shot at best but I do think I can work a bolt fairly well.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

Jus sy'n

W. Bill

Between Sharpsman and myself, if either had a video camera and knew how to post, there is much wasted effort and time there...

BUT there are videos all over competitive how to run a bolt correctly I'm sure.

Unfortunately with the high amount of folks around here that don't get it, I'm for sure saying great shooting, but what I'm saying is with proper training how much BETTER he could be.

Some folks accept whatever, I've always wanted to try to be better and better... I don't always get there but its sure fun trying.

Damn fine shot, no one here arguing that. Commentary sucked. Needs lessons on proper bolt running.

Nothing wrong with being deflave quality instead of an also ran. lol

BTW I don't shoot running game, my comments are related to bolt operation. I have shot moving targets once in my life and won that match easily but it was irons at 300 yards with an AR and a lifesize silhouette, those are easy to hit with half a blade lead... especially from sitting with a sling.

It would be wasted effort on this crew!
Kind of like 'The operation was perfect, but the patient died'

I have shot moving targets once in my life ..

And yet you talk like you're an Olympic coach, that dude handles his bolt better than you handle your envy.

deflave;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family well and keeping sufficiently warm.

Not only are those boys not the Prince of Belgium - they are Canucks I'd opine by the way they're accents sound to my practiced ear in a few other videos.

Perhaps ingwe could comment on this as he's quite fluent in several Canadian dialects and might be able to pin down where these folks are from.

Anyway, speaking from personal experience few creatures have humbled me more than coyotes - running or stationary.

Buddy did kill two of three one time whilst running a B78 in .25-06 - and of course I managed to miss the one I was supposed to get.... twice..... frown

All the best to you folks in the upcoming Christmas season sir.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by BC30cal

deflave;
Good evening to you sir, I trust this finds you and your fine family well and keeping sufficiently warm.

Not only are those boys not the Prince of Belgium - they are Canucks I'd opine by the way they're accents sound to my practiced ear in a few other videos.

Perhaps ingwe could comment on this as he's quite fluent in several Canadian dialects and might be able to pin down where these folks are from.

Anyway, speaking from personal experience few creatures have humbled me more than coyotes - running or stationary.

Buddy did kill two of three one time whilst running a B78 in .25-06 - and of course I managed to miss the one I was supposed to get.... twice..... frown

Dwayne

Try shooting Jacks in the desert.... wink
I never realized Sauer bolt rifles carried that much ammo - 5 piggies w/ 6 shots, then cycled the bolt 'till the last was verified down.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I never realized Sauer bolt rifles carried that much ammo - 5 piggies w/ 6 shots, then cycled the bolt 'till the last was verified down.

I would imagine the Prince....had a couple of mags joined!!
This used to be a olympic sport..

And from those competing, this is the slickest and fastest action ever produced for this sport... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Xp__8k038
Re: Proper way to operate a bolt rifle...

... is to make sure the bolt slams home solidly before pulling the trigger on your AR. wink
LOL, thats good... was just in a bind this weekend with the dog finding a wounded buck, I generally don't carry a gun on the trail, allowing others to do so... but he was almost out of ammo... was thinking about a shoulder holster and suppressed pistol since it wouldn't be so loud to me and the dog...

But last night I got to thinking....hm... shorty AR, single point sling, even if only a 10 round mag, screw the suppressor on the end.... hmm... maybe there is room for a 6.8 in my life... my 6/6.8 is too heavy and long...

SBR on top of it... hmmm...
Originally Posted by BC30cal

deflave;

Dwayne

Dwayne, Man!
Had I known they were not Americans, I would have belittled them as well.

grin

Happy Thanksgiving friendo.

Travis
BTW teh most pigs I"ve ever had the fortune to run across while holding an AR is 3. In a narrow sendero. 5 shots, 5 hits, all dead...

I'd love to be in on a deal like that. Which actually means I lied above that I don't shoot running game.... I 99% won't.... pigs are another story.... I haven't seen a pig in so many years and that was so long ago I'd totally forgotten about the herd of 3 that didnt' get away...
A few years back, a herd of swine entered a shooting lane while I was deer hunting here in Louisiana, must have been a dozen, boar, sow and a bunch of 80# pigs.

I was in a tall stand, shooting a .300 WM with 180 NBT's. I shot a 250# sow in the head at around 150 yds. and got one of the pigs before they cleared the lane. I was on my cell phone with my wife, asking how she wanted all this pork processed.

Would you know, some of the pigs returned to check on their recently deceased mom and I was able to head shoot two more.

Nothing running, at least not that fast. The 180 NBT's blew up on their heads, horrible entrance wounds. I could see teeth, eyeballs, etc...

DRT all.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I was able to head shoot two more.

Nothing running, at least not that fast. The 180 NBT's blew up on their heads, horrible entrance wounds. I could see teeth, eyeballs, etc...

DRT all.

DF

55gr. V-Max does the same. wink

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I was able to head shoot two more.

DRT all.

DF

55gr. V-Max does the same. wink

[Linked Image]

I'd expect that with a V-max, was surprised to see varmint bullet expansion with a 180 gr. NBT at 3K fps.

I shot a 300# boar at 225 yds, 140 SST out of a 6.5-284 at around 2,900 fps. Put a clean hole right behind his ear, entrance/exit wounds about equal. I didn't expect that, was looking for more expansion. Same gun/bullet ruined a Pronghorn cape at 385 yds. with a huge exit wound.

Go figure. I quit using SST's because of erratic performance. Drilled a WT chest without much (enough) damage, deer ran 150 yds.

DF
© 24hourcampfire