Home
Posted By: RipSnort Grits ??? - 12/04/15
If you eat grits on a fairly regular basis, what brand/type do you use and how do you prepare them?

Thanks, RS
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Home made from a friend with a grist mill.

2 cups of water boiling with 1 heaping tablespoon of garlic pwdr in it adding 2/3 cup of grits stirring regular with a whisk, boil slowly and when done add a heaping hand full of shredded sharp cheddar chesse stirring in with the whisk. Put in a bowl and top with a big pat of butter. Guaranteed to keep body and soul together for a spell. ymmv.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
I eat em almost every morning.

Albers is the only brand available around here so that's what I use...4-1 ratio of liquid to grits....cook em slow..low...and covered for 25-30 minutes....

For liquid I use one of those 4-cup boxes of chicken stock...bring it to a boil and then add the grits....sometimes I'll brown some bacon bits and add em (grease and all)...other times I add some chilies....a big handful of sharp cheddar at the end and a splash of 1/2&1/2 to make em creamy...serve with butter and black pepper.

2 fried eggs sprinkled with a liberal dose of hot sauce on the side.

PS...I'm just feeding me so a batch lasts 5-6 days....they microwave well..just add a splash of water and cover for about a minute and a half...
Posted By: agazain Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
From a box -- sorry.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
I'm the only one who eats 'em here. Purely for convenience, I use Quaker 5-minute Grits. No, they aren't as good as slow-cooked, but they'll do.

I eat them plain, with some butter S&P as a side dish to eggs in lieu of potatoes.

But when I want them as the main dish, I make Ham & Cheesy Grits.

Cook grits as usual, and when done stir in a tablespoon of milk, some diced ham, shredded cheese, and a dash of chives.

Fabulous.
Posted By: rpowell Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
cook them and scramble a couple of eggs, and mix the grits and eggs together.
Posted By: spotdoctor Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
People in Chicago don't even know what Grits are.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
I favor the Alabama stone ground McEwen brand. Directions are on the package, if you really need directions.

http://mcewenandsons.com/
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
I prefer magic grits.

Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
People in Chicago don't deserve to know what grits are, demented dimwit Demonrats that they are. Grits are too good for 'em.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Quaker brand.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Geechie Boy mills
Posted By: lotech Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Steaming grits topped with a little habanero cheese,diced green chiles and some thinly sliced spicy home-made elk bratwurst makes for great eating, far better than a typical dull breakfast.
Posted By: shortleade Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
I'm an instant gratification kind of guy so I also use the Quaker 5 minute grits. I eat them in the morning with eggs over medium, cut up eggs let the yolks run and mix it all together...or an evening meal of deep fried bass/bream/white perch and some cheese grits, hush puppies, and cole slaw. Mighty good grazin'
Posted By: GunReader Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Quaker Quik Grits. To 4 servings (per directions) I like to add quite a bit of Velveeta cheese and quite a bit of pepper. A little butter goes in too if I'm not on a health kick at the time.

I'll have to try some of the variations above.

I was raised in Chicago and never had grits until I started trucking.
Posted By: rcamuglia Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Grits = Polenta

Polenta I prefer is coarse ground. Don't fuqk with any instant crap. They don't take long to cook.

I use a 1/2 and 1/2 polenta to oatmeal mix for hot cereal in the morning with raisins and a dash of salt. Add water to this in the bowl you are gonna eat them from. 7 minutes in the microwave on power number 6.

For the starch side Alford other meals, cook with chicken stock on the stove like others have said. I add Gruyere cheese and fresh thyme and eat it in the soft stage for braised meat items.

You can also cook it soft and put it in a sheet pan about 1" thick and refrigerate. When it cools you can cut it in squares and grill it or pan fry
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
45 and a grit has never entered my mouth. Don't intend on one ever doing it either!

Mike
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Quaker. My wife usually cooks them for me on Saturdays and Sundays. A little butter and salt and pepper and I'm good to go. Usually with fried or scrambled eggs and sausage or bacon and a couple of biscuits.

I have to be careful about not falling asleep in church grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Can't get anything but the damned instant kind here in Montucky....
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
45 and a grit has never entered my mouth. Don't intend on one ever doing it either!

Mike

No such thing as a "grit" smile
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Originally Posted by spotdoctor

I wonder if they know what mullet is. We had fried mullet and cheese grits for lunch. L.A. soul food...
Posted By: Ron Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Locally ground heirloom grits... for breakfast I do plain,creamy grits. For dinner I usually do do fish or shrimp with jalapeno & cheese grits. Yummmmm!
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

Mike

No such thing as a "grit" smile

Ha, whatever it is they have zero appeal to me.

My wife eats them and uses salt and butter or cheese to make them edible.

Mike
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Grits ??? - 12/04/15
Quaker, both 5-Minute and instant.

I'll unusually fry up about 4 sausage patties and chop them, 4 eggs over easy and mix the whole shebang in a bowl of grits.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Nothin better than shrimp and grits!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by ingwe
Can't get anything but the damned instant kind here in Montucky....

mail order Ingwe, mail order. Use the link in my reply. They ship quickly. laugh
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
People in Chicago

People ? You have been misinformed.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

[Linked Image]

Yes! Yes! Yes!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15

[Linked Image]

Dan, you'll have to educate me on this. I made shrimp and grits with a supposedly authentic old south recipe off the innanet and it was soooo rich I couldn't eat it.....
Originally Posted by shortleade
I'm an instant gratification kind of guy so I also use the Quaker 5 minute grits. I eat them in the morning with eggs over medium, cut up eggs let the yolks run and mix it all together...or an evening meal of deep fried bass/bream/white perch and some cheese grits, hush puppies, and cole slaw. Mighty good grazin'

This about sums up the way I do it. I like the slow cooking kind better but around here all I can usually find is the Quaker 5 minute kind. When we're South I stock up on slow cooked kind.

Wife puts maple syrup on hers....I've told her it's okay, but don't do it in front of anybody when we're down South.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Maple Syrup on grits!!!!!!! shocked shocked

sick
Posted By: spotdoctor Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

I wonder if they know what mullet is. We had fried mullet and cheese grits for lunch. L.A. soul food...

Lower Alabama, I am guessing you had the grits and mullet maybe at the Florabama.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
People (usually Northerners) who put syrup on grits are under the VERY mistaken idea that grits are cereal like Cream O'Wheat.

They are not. Grits are a potato substitute, the carb side of that plate o'grease meal you're having. They should be treated and eaten as if they were potatoes: with butter, cheese, chives...
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick

Lower Alabama, I am guessing you had the grits and mullet maybe at the Florabama.

Pretty close guess. The Road Kill Cafe in Elberta has AUCE mullet (and grits) on Fridays.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Breakfast right now
Fresh venison heart with bacon,onions over geechie boy stone ground grits

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dan, you'll have to educate me on this. I made shrimp and grits with a supposedly authentic old south recipe off the innanet and it was soooo rich I couldn't eat it.....

Same here. I tried one recipe and it was over the top with evaporated mild and something else...can't recall now...nothing like I've had in eateries down south. How about it Dan, got a recipe for that?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
People (usually Northerners) who put syrup on grits are under the VERY mistaken idea that grits are cereal like Cream O'Wheat.

They are not. Grits are a potato substitute, the carb side of that plate o'grease meal you're having. They should be treated and eaten as if they were potatoes: with butter, cheese, chives...

I have tried telling my wife that, but....she's happy with it like that and if Mama's happy....
Posted By: garyh9900 Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
I like Weisenberger Mill grits.
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Are the shrimp & grits recipes ya'll talking about loaded with butter? if so, try substituting olive oil for some of the butter. Don't eliminate all of it though.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Grits ??? - 12/05/15
Maple Syrup on grits!!!!!!! shocked shocked

sick

Sooooo Sorry your honor, but I plead guilty to having done that a few times. blush Please forgive my lack of discretion. ( I still like dogs, and metric caliber rifles, and girls in Cowboy hats and little else, and haven't thought of owning a .270)

I'm one of those poor fools that likes them at times for a substitute hot breakfast from oatmeal, 7 grain cereal, etc. And I love maple syrup.

Like the other gentleman (rcamuglia?) said grits = polenta. So I eat em like that warm sometimes too with other goodies.

Pantry has Bob's Red Mill grits in it right now.

I have used the Great Value from Wally's at times. I'm not a connoisseur of ground corn, sorry again.

Geno
© 24hourcampfire