Home
Posted By: ltppowell Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
Not sure why exactly. The only thing it does for a Texas Peace Officer is afford you to buy a gun without a background check. I'm thinking it's kinda a pre-retirement crisis or something.
Posted By: EdM Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
I will be getting mine soon. I am taking the course in a couple of weeks. I am guessing a post-retirement crisis. grin
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
At least it's cheaper than boats. smile
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
Im still debating getting mine
I don't think I would if I weren't a cop, knowing what I do, but they already have all my stuff.
No retirement commission there? wink

Most guys your age would retire from the city and go to the S.O. for a few more years. smile
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Not sure why exactly. The only thing it does for a Texas Peace Officer is afford you to buy a gun without a background check. I'm thinking it's kinda a pre-retirement crisis or something.

When you walk in and buy a gun the first time, and fill out the 4473 then walk out, like in the old days, you'll be glad you got it.

I truly enjoy having mine.
Posted By: K1500 Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
Let's you carry out of state. I am not up on LEO rules, but it used to be you could not carry in another state without a CC permit. It also lets you carry if you get 'suspended' for some reason.
I actually have two. The first is the standard Kentucky CCDW. I got it just before I retired, and then I got my LEOSA credentials after I retired.

I keep up with both, religiously.

Can't have too many safety nets.
I've had mine for several years. It helps when traveling, and I try to be careful about what states I drive through, or land in. I also enjoy not dealing with a back round check when I buy a gun. Does the government know I have guns, yeah they did long before I got my CHL, so it is what it is.
As a cop you cant just buy a gun but a cch holder can. grin grin grin And they wonder why we all think gov. is all f...up. Hell, They gave you a gun.
Originally Posted by K1500
Let's you carry out of state. I am not up on LEO rules, but it used to be you could not carry in another state without a CC permit. It also lets you carry if you get 'suspended' for some reason.

now we're on to something

I spect they'll suspend ole Lt. Pat any day now when they see what a jack booted thug he is to us good ole boys on here. shocked
The great thing about the TX CHL is that we have reciprocal agreements with 35 or 36 other states.
And several LEO's I know got their TX CHL because they got tired of getting delayed by NICS every time they bought a gun.
And I understand that the TX Dept of Public Safety is currently swamped with new applicants.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
I think there's probably a run on them. I was talking to a 60-ish woman who was working at Home Depot, a couple days after San Bernadino. She was biting the bullet to get hers.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
I'll maybe get mine this winter, still debating it.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
The CCW permit closes a gap created by the Gun Free School Zones Act of 1990. It is more theoretical as it pertains to active duty LE within the state of commission (depending on state law), but it is a real problem for retired LE relying on LEOSA. It only closes the gap in the state of residence. If you need chapter and verse, give me a call sometime.

Like CT said, you can't have too many safety nets.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
As a cop you cant just buy a gun but a cch holder can. grin grin grin And they wonder why we all think gov. is all f...up. Hell, They gave you a gun.

AND a car!
Posted By: 4ager Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Very, very cheap insurance.
Texas and Oklahoma need to go Constitutional Carry like Kansas.

Yeah...LEO's can carry in any State, and we've already done everything a CHL holder has done and much more. I just like the thought of being human.
Lt,
I'm assuming that you know that you don't have to take the CHL Course and can apply under special conditions as a TX LEO.
Basically, you submit a letter from your LEO Agency and a $25 fee.
Yessir...just a consent form to use my existing records and the $25.
I got mine in the first batch of licenses Florida issued, back in 1987.
Had been carrying a revolver with me daily though, since about 1960. I'm to the point where I feel nekkid without one on my hip, or in my pocket.
Start with a .22 revolver and work your way up to a .38 Special with target wadcutters. You don't want to develop a flinch.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
you don't need any permit to carry concealed or open in arizona. But it's still good to have a ccw to carry in other states. And it beats the snot out of the ncis or other check system on buying a gun. That 4473 stays with the dealer.

Yeah...LEO's can carry in any State, and we've already done everything a CHL holder has done and much more. I just like the thought of being human.

Pat, you are talking about having one of those HR 218 licenses?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

No, just a State CHL. There is no license required for HR 218 carry, other than a State Peace Officer's license.
Lt. when are you popping smoke?

Got your short timers attitude yet?

laugh

Mike
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

laugh

Mike

I've definitely got the attitude. The date is unknown, but the attitude is bound to hasten things. smile
I hope you get out soon!

Mike
Thanks Mike, I'll be out by summer unless they throw money at me.
Awesome!

Hogs and fish beware grin

Mike
At least it's cheaper than boats. smile

I grew up on the Sacramento Delta where we learned early on that a good friend owned a boat.
I've had mine for several years. It helps when traveling, and I try to be careful about what states I drive through, or land in. I also enjoy not dealing with a back round check when I buy a gun.

There it is.

Plus its just a comfort to be able to have the fuggin' thing on you when you want.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right

laugh

Mike

I've definitely got the attitude. The date is unknown, but the attitude is bound to hasten things. smile

IIRC last pig hunt you advised 10 more years, no?
Posted By: ldholton Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
you don't need any permit to carry concealed or open in arizona. But it's still good to have a ccw to carry in other states. And it beats the snot out of the ncis or other check system on buying a gun. That 4473 stays with the dealer.
??//// 4473 is fed. thing . ccw / chl ID is treated different ?
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/17/15
It's too easy not to do it.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
??//// 4473 is fed. thing . ccw / chl ID is treated different ?

at least in arizona. On purchasing a firearm from a ffl, you fill out the 4473 which is kept with the dealer. If you have a ccw, they make a copy of it, but they do not have to call it in. If you do not have a ccw, they call it in, but it just determines if you are a prohibited person or not. They don't provide the type of weapon or serial number when calling it in.
Posted By: FlaRick Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15

Retirement is great! Just remember not to shoot any popcorn throwers when you go to the movies grin
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15

Actually, as pointed out by Cheyenne, it does more than that as far as Federal law is concerned.

It is a violation of Federal Law (the Gun Free School Zone Act) to possess a firearm within 1000 feet of a school on public property without a State Issued Permit.

LEO are exempt only if acting in his/her "Official" capacity.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

LEOSA Does Not Exempt in school zones.

http://www.bluesheepdog.com/leosa-school-grounds/

Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

When you walk in and buy a gun the first time, and fill out the 4473 then walk out, like in the old days, you'll be glad you got it.

I truly enjoy having mine.

This, if for no other reason is worth it.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15

Retirement is great, but at this point relish the time you have there. Once you reach your KMA date (Kiss My A s s) and you know you can leave when you want, things are put in a different perspective. Once you leave, you will be both relieved and let down, as no other job I have been able to find has the highs and lows.

As to my state, having a CCW permit does not change the requirement for the background check, and doesn't hasten the process.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
Same here Sam and I was still an active Deputy at the time.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by cv540
Once you reach your KMA date (Kiss My A s s) and you know you can leave when you want, things are put in a different perspective.

I once sat on a plane next to a deputy chief some from Los Angeles area agency. He said that he had imposed a "3 bad day rule" on himself. He said he was pulling the pin whenever he had 3 bad days in a row.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
I can't quit yet. I need an excuse not to be other places.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
Take 2 aspirins and see a therapist in the morning.
Getting a CHL is the first step in your rehabilitation process.

Retiring will be the next step.

When you become apprehensive at the sight of a cop car, you will be fully rehabilitated.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
lol, i don't like to be at home either.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15

OK FOR a dumb Canuck what do all these Letters mean CHL CCW ect ect

norm
I plan on getting mine in the spring. I want to wait until after the first and the official name change. I think their going to start calling it a LTC (license to carry) instead of a CHL.
Originally Posted by norm99

OK FOR a dumb Canuck what do all these Letters mean CHL CCW ect ect

norm

CCW - Concealed Carry Weapon

CHL - Concealed Handgun License
Originally Posted by justin10mm
I plan on getting mine in the spring. I want to wait until after the first and the official name change. I think their going to start calling it a LTC (license to carry) instead of a CHL.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense because the license will allow for open carry as well as concealed carry after the first.
Posted By: norm99 Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
and LEOSA --CCDW leo i get cc i get.

norm
Posted By: Big C Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15

You don't want to take over the soon to be vacant Chief's position? grin

Just out of curiosity, what is it you know that should make someone shy away from getting a CHL? I've taken the class, but never submitted the paperwork. Bad idea to finish the process?
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
Originally Posted by Big C

You don't want to take over the soon to be vacant Chief's position? grin

Just out of curiosity, what is it you know that should make someone shy away from getting a CHL? I've taken the class, but never submitted the paperwork. Bad idea to finish the process?

That's good question.
Bet it has to do with if guns were to be collected by the Feds, Leo's would get to do that. Just print out a list of the 1,000,000 in Tx and bam.
You have your finger prints on file, you will with a CHL
in Texas.
What else can we come up with?
Yeah....everyone without a CHL is invisible.

and the moon is made of green cheese.

P.S. [whisper] have you ever bought a hunting license?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

No, just a State CHL. There is no license required for HR 218 carry, other than a State Peace Officer's license.

Unless you're retired from another state. Then we have to go through the regular CHL process and cost. cry

Ed

That's why I do real estate part time. Get's me out of the house and I can keep an eye out for good deals. Rentals are a nice additional income to retirement. You have income coming in plus your equity continues to go up. Win/Win. Not to mention if you sell something once in a while you make some money. Cop here I know brings in some pretty good additional income, because of all his contacts.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/18/15
I think it's a wise move, Pat. I've taken the class and am getting ready to do the online app myself. I've got FL and UT CCW license, and I'm carrying under LEOSA now, but it doesn't hurt to have an extra credential.
Originally Posted by justin10mm

All the new TX ones coming out now are the LTC.
DPS is over whelmed right now with all the new applications, so you might want to go online and do it now. You will probably get it in 3 to 4 months, with DPS being so swamped. It normally only takes about 60 days in slow times.

NOT to Worry, though, All the current TX CHL holders with the old License, by the way, will still be able to open carry starting on January 1. 2016
Current TX CHL holders will receive the up-dated LTC when they come up for renewal.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Applied for my CHL Today - 12/22/15
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Very, very cheap insurance.

You were saying?
Ltppowell: I am considering doing the same thing as you.
I have the somewhat universal retired L.E.O.'s C.C.W. (C.H.L.) but that does not aid in the process of buying firearms.
And that process is sometimes delayed up to a day anymore by "system failures".
I frequently travel on gun buying ventures and I would hate to loose out on a buy due to not having the "standard" state C.C.W. that would allow me to buy without the call-in process for the 4473's!
And this, some free advice, ignore ANY jitters regarding "pre-retirement" - I should have retired at 25 years service but foolishly went 29 years.
IF... I had known how WONDERFUL and rewarding retirement would be I would have been out of there at 25 years and ONE day!
Get your time in and get out before something goes awry.
I hate giving governments money (cost of the state C.C.W.) but in this instance I am going to fork it over.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire