Home
Can't find one.
I think I read one a year or so ago. Maybe somebody saved it and can post it.
didn't he just die within the past month or so?
Yep, he wrote one and posted it here without explanation.
Caused a little ruckus.
As a comic ruse, Ken wrote and posted an obit a couple of years ago. As far as I know, the only actual obit/reminiscence after his death was the 12/30/15 thread here (Dr. Kenneth Howell).

Just got home after some extended travel and am trying to determine if his family has planned/conducted a service or published an obit.

While Ken was hospitalized after his severe burns (late Nov.) some of his buddies here tried to help, kept watch and maintained contact via a group PM. Many nice remembrances were expressed there.
how did the burns occur?
Tell us a bit more about the burns, please. Most of us were unaware.
basically backed up to a space heater, got his clothing on fire.
I hope and trust that Ken would not be bothered or upset by this reply to your request.

One of the effects of his long-ago stroke was that, under what most of us would feel as normal conditions, Ken felt quite cold. Over the years we have done several things in his home to help him stay warm. But he liked to be near a heat source and once ordered a floor stand propane space heater on his own. When I saw how he was using the thing it seemed dangerous, so an alternative was arranged and I removed the propane heater and stored it at my home.

A few months ago his local care-giver called, said that Ken needed/wanted the heater and came up here to get it. This was with a promise that the heater would be fix-mounted on a wall - well above the floor. It was.

I was not nearby when Ken was burned, but apparently he was standing with his back to the heater and his clothing reached flash point. Much of his back was burned and he was airlifted to UNM Hospital in Albuquerque. He did repond to burn treatments but related issues led to his death.
Originally Posted by CCCC
I hope and trust that Ken would not be bothered or upset by this reply to your request.

One of the effects of his long-ago stroke was that, under what most of us would feel as normal conditions, Ken felt quite cold. Over the years we have done several things in his home to help him stay warm. But he liked to be near a heat source and once ordered a floor stand propane space heater on his own. When I saw how he was using the thing it seemed dangerous, so an alternative was arranged and I removed the propane heater and stored it at my home.

A few months ago his local care-giver called, said that Ken needed/wanted the heater and came up here to get it. This was with a promise that the heater would be fix-mounted on a wall - well above the floor. It was.

I was not nearby when Ken was burned, but apparently he was standing with his back to the heater and his clothing reached flash point. Much of his back was burned and he was airlifted to UNM Hospital in Albuquerque. He did repond to burn treatments but related issues led to his death.

I was aware of the burning incident, and knew that it could end up costing him his life.

Sad deal all around.

The man had guts to stick it out as long as he did. I very much respect a man with guts. RIP Ken.
Thanks, C4. And a sincere thanks to you guys who were near enough to look in on the old buzzard.
anyone have a pic of Mr Howell? been following his posts off and on for a long time...be nice to put a face to the name.
[Linked Image]
Ken broke my camera!

Last summer at Quemado, I asked Ken if I could take his pic and, of course, he consented.

I took the pic and noticed a red light started blinking on my camera. I didnt know what it meant, so I turned the camera off and on again, to see if it might reset and the light would stop blinking, but it didnt work. Camera wont take pics.

Camera is still broken, need to throw it away, but the pics were on a card and they were all ok. Ken's was the last one taken.
thank you
[Linked Image]
is there a link to his obit?
His obit is here on the campfire through those that knew him.

Kent
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Ken broke my camera!

Last summer at Quemado, I asked Ken if I could take his pic and, of course, he consented.

I took the pic and noticed a red light started blinking on my camera. I didnt know what it meant, so I turned the camera off and on again, to see if it might reset and the light would stop blinking, but it didnt work. Camera wont take pics.

Camera is still broken, need to throw it away, but the pics were on a card and they were all ok. Ken's was the last one taken.

With his self-deprecating sense of humour, I think Ken would smile at your post.

John
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I hope I'm not overstepping any bounds, I'm going to quote a statement of a mutual friend from before Ken Passed.

'After struggling for quite a while to get his wishes communicated, Ken had the medicos remove the breathing/suction/camera apparatus and tubing so that he could talk and express some things. They seemed convinced that removal of the breathing tube etc. would cause him to have trouble and go downhill quickly, but so far he is holding his own and his 02, BP and heart rates are functioning at about normal levels.

With some good help, Ken was able to explain and reinforce the terms of his living will and the DNR order and affirm his power of attorney declaration. In my view, he wanted all of that to be clear because this latest setback with the pulmonary troubles has been very difficult for him and he seems tired of the extra measures. He openly expresses his wish that the Lord will take him away so that he again can be with Carol Ann'.

My response at the time...

I wish Ken would be around forever, same as I wish the older guys who took us young'uns under their wings, hunting, fishing... how to be a man.

But they've all went their way... and each was ready when it happened.

I have talked with Ken many times about him moving on to the great glory. Obviously the darker it gets the more appealing the light becomes.

I pray Lord, to lift him up... lift up my brother to the light... amen

Kent

Ken was able to pass along goodbyes to us through another mutual friend that was able to spend the last day with him.

see ya after, amigo...
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Ken broke my camera!

With his self-deprecating sense of humour, I think Ken would smile at your post.

John

I hope he so. I think it's funny.
I'm glad he was able to communicate his wishes and control his prolonged suffering to reunite with Carol Ann.

I wish someone who knew him well would write an obit and post it here. It seems odd that there wouldn't be one for a man of his stature and accomplishments. It would be nice to know some things about him.
I thought I found one from the funeral home, maybe I am thinking of someone else, though. They only keep those things up for a set time, so it may well be gone.
An obituary is said to be "in the works" - publication venue unknown. Have requested a copy of that which evolves and will post it on the Campfire as received.
This thread would no doubt better serve than any other obituary likely to be published.
The man had tons of friends and a few good enemies, as any good man should have.
Originally Posted by CCCC

shocked
R.I.P., Doc. Enjoyed you while you were with us.
© 24hourcampfire