Home
With everything being formatted for flat screen/HD TV these days...it's got to the point where most of the time I only get the middle 50% of the picture so I've decided to retire the old Sony Trinitron.......I've been waiting for it to die but clearly that isn't going to happen.....

Anyone know an eight year old I can hire to get my remote and other accessories to work with the new beast when I finally make the leap....
If you use a cable provider their remote will be primary with the TV's only used for contrast and stuff like that.
If you go for some add-on devices, it is handy to hire a "remote-bearer" akin to the safari gun-bearer to stand by and hand you the required remote when it is called for. A really good one will be able to determine which remote is needed for the situation, relieving you of the stress of trying to remember which is appropriate when being charged by a hostile program.
I'm not as concerned with the other stuff....mainly I just want the DirecTV remote to turn the TV off and on without having to call and talk to Habieb....
RTFM, I did and I'm dumber than you.
If I read the manual (providing the TV comes with one) will I have to turn in my man card....
Congrats, it's nice to have a 55 inch TV that weighs a lot less than a 30 inch Trinitron smirk especially if you have to move smile
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
If I read the manual (providing the TV comes with one) will I have to turn in my man card....
I could hardly imagine it would be necessary. They're pretty easy to navigate unless you want to do picture in picture, 3d, netflicks, or stuff like that.
I'm not as concerned with the other stuff....mainly I just want the DirecTV remote to turn the TV off and on without having to call and talk to Habieb....

Once set up the Direct TV controller will be the only one you use.
Not the TV one.
I HATE that black bar on top and bottom.
Everything is squished. A tall slender chick looks short and fat.
A fat girl looks like a beached whale.

WTF?

Why is this horseshit the default setting?
Is it to make short armed round guys and fat broads (most Americans) feel better about themselves?

Seems to me default setting should be NORMAL that uses the entire screen.

And all you short squat fat fuggs that want to feel better about yourselves need to get you fat asses off the couch in front of your big flat screen and find something other to do than sit around getting fatter.

this all you old farts need

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

[Linked Image]

Now that is funny
Love my smart tv's
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Love my smart tv's
You're gonna scare him.
FWIW I got a new flat screen and set it up on cable in less than ten minutes. That lets you know it was pretty fuggin' easy for an old fart.
Admit it. Rommel helped!

Well, there's your problem right there, you got the wrong guy, you are supposed to talk to Mujibar. laugh
Originally Posted by ironbender
Admit it. Rommel helped!

Actually my Border Collie was alive and still pretty well when I did it. She set it up and checked to see if all the wiring was up to code. grin

Anyone know an eight year old I can hire to get my remote and other accessories to work with the new beast when I finally make the leap....

I have a 3 almost 4 year old grand daughter that can set it up for you. She's known everything there is to know about TVs , DVD players , cell phones , ipods , ipads , etc since she was 2 years old.

Me , I ain't got a clue about none of that stuff

Mike
I'm in the same boat. I still have a Sony Trinitron Wega that I paid good money for in 2002 that refuses to die. It was one of the first HD TVs. Where I used to think 32" was big enough, I'm now asking myself WTF I haven't upgraded.

I guess I'm getting old or I see it as a sunk cost to spend on technology that will be outdated in 6 months.
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Once set up the Direct TV controller will be the only one you use.
Not the TV one.

That's what I have now and that's fine.....the "once set up" part is where the problem lies....

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

WTF?

I think it's the other way around....when I switched to DTV from Dish last year it included HD but since my old TV doesn't have HD all the people suddenly became tall and skinny....I assumed that the purpose of HD was to make all the fat ass's in Hollywood look skinny....

Originally Posted by BigDave39355

[Linked Image]

That right there is exactly what I need.....where can I get one....
those are custom made grin

by grandkids who are tired of gam gam hitting the source and setup button
I just spent three hours trying to set up a new ROKU cube in the guest bedroom.
Phone call after phone call to tech help with ROKU, Netflix, Sling, Hulu, and the TV manufacturer.
I am afraid I was so flumuxed that I raised my voice to the pakistani kid with ROKU tech.
I need another Bourbon..........

Your DirectTv remote will take care of on and off for both the TV and the box.

Charlie, Funny you should mention a Trinitron, thats what we replaced a few years ago. And damn, that thing was heavy.
Get a "smart" TV, Blu-ray, learn Wi-Fi, a smart phone and more, and learn how to use em, or the next thing you know you want to do things and be completely lost.

Originally Posted by Lonny
Charlie, Funny you should mention a Trinitron, thats what we replaced a few years ago. And damn, that thing was heavy.

Yea Lonny...those Trinitrons were the gold standard back in the day...they dam sure last...that's for sure.....

Originally Posted by 700LH
Get a "smart" TV, Blu-ray, learn Wi-Fi, a smart phone and more, and learn how to use em, or the next thing you know you want to do things and be completely lost.

That's not likely....ask Lonny....
Originally Posted by 700LH

He's lost now... how much loster, do you want him to be?

(FG, I got your back)
Research shows that fewer than one in three people actually use the "smart" functions of their TV sets. I'm one of them. All I want is TV. I don't give a rat's patootie about streaming HULUFlix or any of that other crap.

I turn on and control my set with the DirecTV remote, but have to turn off the "smart" function with the TV remote every time I turn it on. PITA but since I can't turn the "smart" feature off (or haven't a clue how to if it's possible) I'll just hit that big colorful button every time.
Can you imagine hanging a 27 in Trinitron on the wall? How big would the lag bolts have to be?
Don't get a cheaper Westpoint if you want your DTV remote to operate it. We were given one as a warranty replacement and the remote will not program for it.
Originally Posted by Archerhunter

WTF?

Why is this horseshit the default setting?
Is it to make short armed round guys and fat broads (most Americans) feel better about themselves?

Seems to me default setting should be NORMAL that uses the entire screen.

And all you short squat fat fuggs that want to feel better about yourselves need to get you fat asses off the couch in front of your big flat screen and find something other to do than sit around getting fatter.

I think this is backward. Movies are filmed in sizes that don't match your TV, sometimes. If you fill the whole screen, then the picture will be distorted.
I can set some aspects of aspect ratio (how short how fat) on our Dish controller but sometimes I have to go to the Sony Bravia TV controller to get it fight. Circles should be circular.
© 24hourcampfire