Home
Posted By: whelennut Indian motorcycles - 02/07/16
I looked at some this weekend at a motorcycle show. They are retro looking but I think that is cool.
Do any of you own one?
How do you like it?
Posted By: Redneck Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
Couple friends of mine own 'em and they're all very happy.

That's all I got.. smile
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16

Very nice…. I rode an Indian Chief last year.
I would have one , before a Milwaukee Vibraaaatorrrrrr.
Posted By: cbennett Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
I have a 2014 Chief Vintage and a 2015 Scout. I was on HD for 16 years before the Indians and am very happy with the change. No problems at all.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
I think when it warms up I will get a test drive someplace.
Posted By: northern_dave Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
They are Very Sharp, and under the Polaris restructure the price is very doable vs what it used to be. Pre Polaris Indian cruisers like the Chief used to start out at around 40-42k IIRC.

Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
Back in the early fifties, I took an old Indian with the in line four cylinder engine for a ride. I don't remember much about it except that I was told not to "gun it" as the engine torque would cause it to go down. I obeyed.

But it was probably quite different from what you are looking at now. whistle
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
I bought an Indian in the early 70's.
Traded my 1968 z50 honda hardtail and some of my lawn mowing money for a new in box 50cc Indian (assembly required).
My first bike with a clutch.
I was 9 or 10.

smile
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
The last bike was a 2014 Moto Guzzi 1400. I like it very well. But, the Indian is very tempting.
Posted By: ST50 Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
1 1/2 years ago I bought my final (I think) motorcycle, a Softail Heritage. If we had more dealers in the area, I would have seriously considered an Indian. Several riders I know are very happy with theirs.
Posted By: EZEARL Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
On Rt50 just west of Romney,WV at South Branch Guns Steve's collection is on display.

http://www.hampshirereview.com/image_1dae3252-046a-11e5-b5c8-8f592118d683.html

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/n...otorcycle-heads-to-auction-block?image=0
Cool
Posted By: Teal Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
I'm currently motorcycle shopping myself.

Indian Scouts sell like free beer the local dealer told me.
I like their larger offerings and were I looking to buy - Indian would get a serious chance.

At least it's not a ME2 Street Glide.

"What do you ride?"

"Custom Street Glide" (put a different farkle on, even just a sticker and now it's "custom")

"hey - me too...."

I looked hard at the Scout but it's not right for what I want to do. My daily commute is about 80 miles and while the forward controls are nice for cruising, they also don't let you protect your back like you can with a set of mids so the suspension has to be really right. The Scout is a bit soft for my likes in that regard so 11k for the bike and another 1000 or so into the boingers. Wasn't really want I wanted to do. It's almost like a 3/4 sized cruiser. Bigger than an 883 but not really full sized. The old school Tundra of motorcycles.

What's really great about it is that it's forcing HD to move quicker I'd say. That water cooled 1200 cc (basically) motor putting out 100 at the crank is going to force HD to REALLY make a water cooled engine. The Street 500 and 750 aren't the answer.

That said - I'm 90% sure a new Bonneville T120 Black is my next bike. Been talking myself in and out of a Monster 821 for the last 3 weeks.
Posted By: Jglenn Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/08/16
my brother has one of the first year Chiefs and loves it.. has been a perfect bike for him...

Originally Posted by teal

That said - I'm 90% sure a new Bonneville T120 Black is my next bike. Been talking myself in and out of a Monster 821 for the last 3 weeks.

Thruxton doesn't make your socks go up and down?
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Originally Posted by teal

Thruxton doesn't make your socks go up and down?

Much like the Monster - I think it's brilliant as a 2nd bike, not my only bike.

I'm struggling with making sure I understand that the Bonnie is the better choice over the Monster as it is.

I want something that I can hop on, go to work and back most days while also taking off and cruising around Door County, the UP etc and taking a passenger from time to time.

Monster is great at all of that - except the passenger part is probably the weakest part. Thruxton - no passenger provision without spending more $$ on a set of passenger pegs, new exhaust and new seat.

The bonneville black - something with a little work here and there - could look like what McQueen had in the Great Escape or something. Pretty classic bike, tho not the pure sex that is the Monster.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It's also a combination of bang/buck and smiles/miles - Bonnie has 2 rider modes with ABS and heated grips. Monster has 3 rider modes, ABS, Traction control.

Almost had the old man talked into a new Ducati Scrambler on Sat. He's serious enough to sign up to get the notification for demo days this spring.... It's such a light and small bike - like an old enduro from the 70's - but it will do 130 mph and cruise along at 70 no sweat.

Course the runt thinks anything less than a Panigale with 205 hp is simply cutting corners....
I understand and appreciate the Bonnie.

I want a Triumph, don't know why but I have wanted one for years.

I'd likely end up with a Tiger XC though because I have other plans for a hwy bike. I think an XC would be good for me between home and the cabin, be a good bike for an Alaska trip too....

(of course a scrambler would serve the same purpose with retro style points)
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I understand and appreciate the Bonnie.

I want a Triumph, don't know why but I have wanted one for years.

I'd likely end up with a Tiger XC though because I have other plans for a hwy bike. I think an XC would be good for me between home and the cabin, be a good bike for an Alaska trip too....

(of course a scrambler would serve the same purpose with retro style points)

A few years ago my dad had a 68(?) bonnie - was a neat little bike. Kinda really dug it which is why I looked at the Bonneville now.

Video with a Duc and Triumph scrambler in Colorado. NEAT idea and I could see doing something like this for fun. Without the cornball stuff tho -

[video:youtube]rwtWRc5ikMs[/video]
I really like Ducati but no dealer near me.
Originally Posted by whelennut
I really like Ducati but no dealer near me.

Yeah - lucky in that GB which is 40 mins (give or take) from me has a combo Ducati/BMW/Indian/Victory dealer.

Nearest Triumph guy is 90 minutes in Oshkosh.

Then there's Milwaukee with a lot - Aprilia dealer. I looked at the Shiver 750. Just don't want to have to go to Milwaukee for anything if necessary.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Indian motorcycles - 02/09/16

The Bonnies are nice bikes.
I have a '03 Moto Guzzi 1100, and a 1400 Moto Guzzi and a '05 Thruxton.
Not counting the old iron. I tour on all of the new bikes. The Thruxton helps my arthritis , and it is a boast to ride. The new Indian ( chief series) or the Ducati scrambler , I know 2 different bikes,…. get me going.
I have owned a number of Ducati Monsters and had a Stelvio.
I am an old guy.
Faster and faster ….until the thrill of speed is overcome by the fear of death.
About 55 does it for me.
© 24hourcampfire