Home
Just watch this, its only 5 minutes.

Don't let your faith stagnate

Maybe he should do some sermons when flying PubliK. Get him some converts. wink
"Evangelical Vote"....
people that believe in him can't see it, those that don't see it right away

insert your own politician joke here.
He used to be on TV down here a lot. Loved watching him, the quintessential snake-oil pusher. Man, I miss the Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker TV days.. Which one had the "Prayer Cloth"? (for a donation of course). The Opium of the masses...
I didn't know you were allowed to quote Nietzsche on this forum
Marx: "Religion is the opium of the people" is one of the most frequently paraphrased statements of German philosopher and economist Karl Marx. It was translated from the German original, "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes" and is often rendered as "religion... is the opiate of the masses."

The quotation originates from the introduction of his work A Contribution to the Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right, published posthumously. The introduction (written in 1843) was published in 1844 in Marx's own journal Deutsch-Französische Jahrbücher, a collaboration with Arnold Ruge.

The full quote from Karl Marx translates as: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". Often quoted, the interpretation of the metaphor in its context has received much less attention.[1] Some other people used similar phrases

There, did it twice and for TRH, yes we know Marx was "ein juden"
TFF

God's probably throwing up somewhere after watching the video of those two clowns, using his name to justify why they think they need to have their own private jets...
The funniest part was when he said he didn't need a private jet to scratch his flying bug,...that he could do that in his other airplane.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
He used to be on TV down here a lot. Loved watching him, the quintessential snake-oil pusher. Man, I miss the Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker TV days.. Which one had the "Prayer Cloth"? (for a donation of course). The Opium of the masses...

Jim and Tammy Faye Baker used to live in the tourist town of Gatlinburg TN. They would sell tee shirts that had a face print of gawdy make-up on it that read, I ran into Tammy Faye in Gatlinburg TN.

They ran the PTL (Praise The Lord) club,... it was later known as the PTL (Pass The Ludes, as in qualudes)club.
Marx: "Religion is the opium of the people" is one of the most frequently paraphrased statements of German philosopher and economist Karl Marx. It was translated from the German original, "Die Religion ... ist das Opium des Volkes" and is often rendered as "religion... is the opiate of the masses."

The quotation originates from the introduction of his work A Contribution to the Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right, published posthumously. The introduction (written in 1843) was published in 1844 in Marx's own journal Deutsch-Französische Jahrbücher, a collaboration with Arnold Ruge.

The full quote from Karl Marx translates as: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people". Often quoted, the interpretation of the metaphor in its context has received much less attention.[1] Some other people used similar phrases

interesting - that quote if often associated with Nietzsche

I thought so as well, but doing some research on "Das Kapital" reminded me, so I "googled" it...
Kenny Copeland just watched Iron Man with his grandkids and now he wants to be Tony Stark and have the dancing stewardesses:

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The funniest part was when he said he didn't need a private jet to scratch his flying bug,...that he could do that in his other airplane.

I liked the part where he talked about how annoyed he was with people that kept stopping him asking him to pray for them
.. Which one had the "Prayer Cloth"? (for a donation of course). The Opium of the masses...

That would have been the Reverend Ike, rest his soul..

g

The entire quote changes completely the meaning most often associated with the paraphrase, does it not?
Not from what I remember, it was another form of Baptist-charlatan type.

Sean: I don't think so?
Don't let your faith stagnate

The faith I believe you refer to isn't in men.

If it is, it's already stagnant and putrid.
Snake oil is a powerful Placebo....
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

Jim and Tammy Faye Baker used to live in the tourist town of Gatlinburg TN. They would sell tee shirts that had a face print of gawdy make-up on it that read, I ran into Tammy Faye in Gatlinburg TN.

They ran the PTL (Praise The Lord) club,... it was later known as the PTL (Pass The Ludes, as in qualudes)club.

Many/most Tv evangelists have used some type of 'prayer object' gimmic in their broadcasts at one time or another.

Robert Tilton was the absolute biggest looney-bird charlatan I can recall ever seeing.

I can't watch Robert Tilton without thinking of these

That's HIM! what an entertainer... smile

[Linked Image]
When I used to do bodyguard work, I knew a few guys who did protection for TV evangelists, and with one exception, every one of them were pieces of chit. Drinking, taking drugs, and chasing skirts; ALL of them...LOTS of call girls. And every last one was all about the money.

On the positive side, the TV Evangelists were VERY good guys to work for when it comes to executive protection. They paid pretty well, but they all treat their staff's VERY well, especially the EP staff because the EP staff saw all the BS they did and pretty much had the goods on all of them. So as a result, the guys on the TV Evangelists protection teams were treated very well.

And there's something to be said or that. Contrary to what most people think, bodyguards are typically not treated very well. Yeah you would think someone protecting your life would get treated well, but it's rare that you are. Most resent your presence tremendously...and I can understand that. It sucks to have someone always in your business, even when you go home at night.

The one exception was the guys I met who worked with the Billy Graham protection team (which by the way was one of the best, most professional EP teams in the nation). I met one guy on the team, one guy who has worked with the team, and one guy from the USSS who coordinated with the team on presidential visits. Every last one said they never once saw Graham cross the line. I don't find that hard to believe. After 50 years of being in the public eye, under the microscope 24/7 if he was anything other than what he said he was, he would have been caught by now.
Don't forget Crefalo A. Dollar (the name alone just gets me).

He just had to have a 70 million dollar Gulfstream G650

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...ays-it-is-necessary-for-ministry-139858/

What a piece of chit!!!
I always felt Graham was the real deal
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Don't forget Crefalo A. Dollar (the name alone just gets me).

He just had to have a 70 million dollar Gulfstream G650

http://www.christianpost.com/news/c...ays-it-is-necessary-for-ministry-139858/

What a piece of chit!!!

He's mentioned in the video early on
Originally Posted by KFWA
I can't watch Robert Tilton without thinking of these

Many years ago, I had just gotten home from work at about 3:30 AM and that idiot was on TV.

After a couple of drinks I decided to call up his money line number.

This black woman answered. I said to her, "Of course you realize that you're going to burn in hell for all eternity for this".

She started speaking in tongues.

Cain't nobody speak in tongues like a black woman taking money line calls for Robert Tilton.
My church is nature.
The pew is a tree stand.

Many years ago, I had just gotten home from work at about 3:30 AM and that idiot was on TV.

After a couple of drinks I decided to call up his money line number.

This black woman answered. I said to her, "Of course you realize that you're going to burn in hell for all eternity for this".

She started speaking in tongues.

Cain't nobody speak in tongues like a black woman taking money line calls for Robert Tilton.

TFF!

I would sometimes do the same thing after a rough pm shift... get home at oh-dark-thirty, too wired to sleep, so you slam a couple cocktails and watch the weirdo's on late night TV. I called the Cleo-the-Psychic hotline one time, but never had the balls to call no black lady speakin' in tongues!
Sucker born every minute, not one of these guys can do what they do without suckers sending them money.

They may burn in hell the next time around, but this time they are all doing ok for themselves, like em or not, and I dislike every damn one of em.
Peter Green thought he talked to God as well.......

Every last one said they never once saw Graham cross the line. I don't find that hard to believe. After 50 years of being in the public eye, under the microscope 24/7 if he was anything other than what he said he was, he would have been caught by now.
Agreed. But I'm not aware of anything Billy claimed to be, but a sinner saved by Grace. He may have claimed faithfulness to his wife, but he was not one to call himself out as the great and devout man he truly is and was.

I'm not surprised a bit by improprieties by the would-be pious, noting we all share the same deficiency: humanity. Though it is a shame, particularly the lavishing of luxury upon those who should live reasonably, as did Dr. Graham. I have often wondered who God had the most disdain for, the preachers who stray or those who proclaim it loudly.
Originally Posted by RickyD
I have often wondered who God had the most disdain for, the preachers who stray or those who proclaim it loudly.

Can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect he places both types above politicians who pose for photos while praying in front of the White House.
Sort of like Lady Astor's gold fixtures in her rail car.

"Saves all that polishing"
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
My church is nature.
The pew is a tree stand.
Now THAT's what I'm talking about!!!
I have often wondered who God had the most disdain for, the preachers who stray or those who proclaim it loudly.

Can't say for sure, but I strongly suspect he places both types above politicians who pose for photos while praying in front of the White House.
I doubt he has any disdain for prayer of any kind as long as it's sincere and only He knows if it is. You just like listening to that devil on your other shoulder too much.

I doubt he has any disdain for prayer of any kind as long as it's sincere and only He knows if it is. You just like listening to that devil on your other shoulder too much.

All that praying in public hypocrisy is covered very plainly. You know that.

,...must be the devil making you act like you don't.
Every last one said they never once saw Graham cross the line. I don't find that hard to believe. After 50 years of being in the public eye, under the microscope 24/7 if he was anything other than what he said he was, he would have been caught by now.
Agreed. But I'm not aware of anything Billy claimed to be, but a sinner saved by Grace. He may have claimed faithfulness to his wife, but he was not one to call himself out as the great and devout man he truly is and was.

I'm not surprised a bit by improprieties by the would-be pious, noting we all share the same deficiency: humanity. Though it is a shame, particularly the lavishing of luxury upon those who should live reasonably, as did Dr. Graham. I have often wondered who God had the most disdain for, the preachers who stray or those who proclaim it loudly.

Well who did Jesus despise the most? The religious leadership!

Every "sinner" he encountered was shown nothing but loving forgiveness, understanding, and compassion. When he encountered the Pharisees, he loudly called them a "brood of vipers".

The Sadducee's and Pharisees proclaimed righteousness of themselves, and condemned others. But Jesus knew where their hearts really were, and he despised them; it's the only group of people he was unkind toward. The one Pharisee who was a good guy was treated exceptionally well by Jesus.

All these TV Evangelists are just trying to make more and more money. It's one thing to be an unwilling sinner; that's what we all are. But these guys preach about morality, and then act like a bunch of drunk sailors on shore leave with recent lottery winnings.

A visit from a call girl isn't a "slip" of the morals; especially the 100th call girl. They preach the evils of alcohol (which isn't Biblical by the way), and drink like Ted Kennedy. They do drugs like they're competing against Keith Richards.

Of course they never say that they're not sinners, but it's VERY implied that they don't daily wallow in debauchery; yet they do.

And I get it, even though they are basically evil people, God still does work trough them. Many have their lives enriched by these preachers. Many of them are exceptional public speakers and deliver an impressive sermon each week. But they're despicable people.

The sad part is, the vast majority of their money comes from the poor. People for whom a $10 donation is really not an easy thing to do.
"Well the preacher kept right on saying that all I had to do was send Ten dollars to the church of the sacred bleeding heart of Jesus Located somewhere in Los Angeles, California And next week they'd say my prayer on the radio And all my dreams would come true"
Two chitballs.
[video:youtube]J0_KKg6Wh3Q[/video]
bout time someone brought that around!
Supposedly, Joel and the Missus live off the revenue from his books; he doesn't take a salary from his church. I've only watched him a few times and don't recall him asking for money. He doesn't really preach and he doesn't really teach; he just talks. If that's typical of all that goes on at his church, then it's no wonder it's huge. People usually look around untl they find a church that lets them do what they want. Doesn't make him a crook, just maybe a waste of time.
Once I asked my mom to listen to Chuck Swindal everyday for a full week. I wanted to know if she thought he was a great Christian teacher or a fantastic public speaker. She told me after a week she heard a fantastic public speaker. That's what I think of Jesse.

All that praying in public hypocrisy is covered very plainly. You know that.

And you plainly don't understand it. It simply goes to the intent of the heart, and no one knows that but God.

And you plainly don't understand it. It simply goes to the intent of the heart, and no one knows that but God.

I understand you.
[Linked Image]
They do this kind of crap that causes people to hate them and then they cry "Christian persecution" when in fact there's nothing "Christian" about them.

I shoot one just as fast as a Muzz and for the same reasons.

Here's another one for ya.

The Annointing of Ted Cruz
[quote]And you plainly don't understand it. It simply goes to the intent of the heart, and no one knows that but God./quote]

Ah, but we can.

Matthew 12:33-34 Jesus says,
"'Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart.'"

To support that we look at an instruction in,
2 Timothy 2:22
"Now flee from youthful lusts and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."
2 Peter 2American Standard Version (ASV)

2 But there arose false prophets also among the people, as among you also there shall be false teachers, who shall privily bring in [a]destructive heresies, denying even the Master that bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their lascivious doings; by reason of whom the way of the truth shall be evil spoken of. 3 And in covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose sentence now from of old lingereth not, and their destruction slumbereth not.

2 Peter 2New International Reader's Version (NIRV)

False Teachers Will Be Destroyed

2 But there were also false prophets among the people. In the same way there will be false teachers among you. In secret they will bring in teachings that will destroy you. They will even turn against the Lord and Master who died to pay for their sins. So they will quickly destroy themselves. 2 Many people will follow their lead. These people will do the same evil things the false teachers do. They will cause people to think badly about the way of truth. 3 These teachers are never satisfied. They want to get something out of you. So they make up stories to take advantage of you. They have been under a sentence of death for a long time. The God who will destroy them has not been sleeping.
[video:youtube]MyKNmvJYO7o[/video]
He said, "Come on over here son, let me show you around
Over there's where we put the preachers, I never liked those clowns
They're always blaming me for everything wrong under the sun
It ain't that harder to do what's right, it's just maybe not as much fun
Then they walk around thinking they're better than me and you
And then they get caught in a motel room
Doing what they said not to do"

lol

What a crock...!

Those guys are nuthin' more than charlatans.
Just another free-loading Hypocrite!!

He and Swaggart.....bums-alike!!
Why do some people feel like they gotta go through these charlatans, or anybody else...whether it's a pastor or a pope...in order to get through to their Creator and have a relationship with Him...?
Originally Posted by antlers
Why do some people feel like they gotta go through these charlatans, or anybody else...whether it's a pastor or a pope...in order to get through to their Creator and have a relationship with Him...?
Good question - have never been able to calculate why.

As for the topic and the thread, God is not fooled - one iota. There will be a day - for all.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Supposedly, Joel and the Missus live off the revenue from his books; he doesn't take a salary from his church. I've only watched him a few times and don't recall him asking for money. He doesn't really preach and he doesn't really teach; he just talks. If that's typical of all that goes on at his church, then it's no wonder it's huge. People usually look around untl they find a church that lets them do what they want. Doesn't make him a crook, just maybe a waste of time.

Exactly! He's nothing more than a motivational speaker. Pointless...
Church is big business.
Man, I miss the Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker TV days.. Which one had the "Prayer Cloth"? (for a donation of course).

Pretty sure that was Swaggart. Had a roommate used to watch the guy religiously. When his grandma died and he got $9,000 as his part of her estate, he gave it all to Jimmy. His brother was not amused.

Birdwatcher
Swaggart sure can play the piano like His Cousins, Jerry Lee and Mickey Gilly. Family thing I guess. miles
...I can't ride with a tube full of demons...

Signature material, right there!

Sycamore
Anyone here remeber Earnest trying to "faith heal" the kid with downs syndrom?
Say BayBee!
"bubuh"
"say baby"
'bahbuu"

[Linked Image]
Shysters.
[Linked Image]
"For your love gift of $500 you can get this special Ernest Angley Healing and Salvation edition of the Holy Bible...AND for your love gift of $1000 Brother Angley will personally sign your copy of this beautiful leather bound edition of God's Holy Word"
© 24hourcampfire