Home
Prince - Saw him in Minneapolis and had no idea what to expect. The guy blew doors! Guitar playin son of a gun with vocal chops and showmanship to boot! I was floored.

George Harrison - I know a bunch of you homos don't like The Beatles, but you're taste is all in your mouths. wink George was a heck of a humble dude and his music post Beatles is really worth checking out.

Kiss - Bought a ticket to their reunion tour on a lark and was not a fan in the least. I left hoping I'd see a show that good again.

Townes Van Zandt - Well, you should probably just check him out. Mellow, Sunday morning coffee drinking music.

Luke Bryan - He's Uber Homo and has nothing to do with good music let alone being under rated in any way, shape or form. He's on this list strictly so you guys that listen to him will stop on account of him being queerer than Ingwe's .270...

Waylon Jennings - I know Billy Joe Shaver wrote a lot of his tunes, but the way he delivered songs kills me. He was just so different from anyone else out there and he remains that way to this day. The epitome of electric country music in one person.

The Byrds - I can't even tell you about Sweethearts of the Rodeo because you won't believe me.

Hickory Wind. Mr. Parsons at his finest.

The Beta Band.
Neil Peart of Rush...most know of his percussion genius, but most of Rush's songs he penned.
Originally Posted by broomd
Neil Peart of Rush...most know of his percussion genius, but most of Rush's songs he penned.

Does Rush still have the chick singer?
Duke Ellington is the most underrated American composer. His body of work is amazing.

As far as musicians, it all depends on your favorite instrument. I am partial to Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs.

Cracker blues in its finest form.

YMMV.

Hard to believe its been almost 43 years. But dam those Martins sound good still

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPu_G-T28iU

Originally Posted by Higbean

Still a three man band...Geddy, Alex and Neil...
Phil Anselmo.
Always up for one of the Flying Burrito's ablums....
Back in the day (1971) we had John Sebastian for Spring Weekend. I know, What a Day For a Daydream but, not on this night. The band rocked and brought the house down....
Stewart Copland, great drummer and now he composes lots of music. He was part of what made the Police so good.

Opeth is a band full of great musicians.

Gojira writes great songs despite it being death metal, they guy uses melody and the guitar and drum parts aren't your average run of the mill gallops and blast beats. I dig'em.

12 foot Ninja, they are a very versitile band and their drummer is great. They are a funny band without resorting to being strait up stupid like Primus. Check out the songs One Hand Killing and Mother Sky. It's heavy metal, salsa, jazz and pop all rolled into one and they pull it off well. Lots of other great songs too, those are just 2 of my favorites.

Johnny Cash, none of his musicians were worth a damn but he himself was a great story teller and it translated well to song.

Journey, killer vocals and everyone in the band was a great musicians especially Steve Smith.

Dime bag Darrel, he wasn't great at music theory but he was a great lead player be spite of it and he could break your ribs with a two note power cord riff. RIP.
Joe Cocker

That dude put more heart and soul into each song than anyone I have ever seen. Did he have a great voice, no. He was still belting out his songs until the day he died.

I suggest you look at a few of his concerts from the 1990's on youtube and watch how hard that man works.
Boston. The late Brad Delps vocals were right there with Steve Perry for the best ever and Tom Scholz is one of the great musical geniuses of our time.
Marty Stuart. Excellent songwriter, can shred just about any instrument he picks up, carries on real country music, etc..

Hank Snow

People are just not aware of his accomplishments. He had one hit (I'm Moving On) that stayed number one for 21 weeks, not even the Beatles can make a claim like that...
[video:youtube]VNo0cGi1xZU[/video]

I like this one.
Marty Stuart sucks....If he is real country music, I hope country music dies. grin

Originally Posted by mtcurman
Marty Stuart. Excellent songwriter, can shred just about any instrument he picks up, carries on real country music, etc..
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
Marty Stuart sucks....If he is real country music, I hope country music dies. grin

So just who is real country music?
Under rated = Gordon Lightfoot

Yeah, Gordon has a lot of good songs.
Mack Davis and David Gates
David Byron & Ken Hensley.
Stewart Copeland

Yes (1971-1977)

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is a great guitarist and writer.
Delbert McClinton, been around a long time.
Steve Cropper
Originally Posted by moosemike
Boston. The late Brad Delps vocals were right there with Steve Perry for the best ever and Tom Scholz is one of the great musical geniuses of our time.

Great band but hard to listen to after I learned how animal rights they all are.

No Geddy reached puberty a couple years ago.
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is a great guitarist and writer.

Good choice. He's got a style all his own with some nasty variations of Travis picking.
Dave Grohl.....
James McMurtry.

One of the best song writers and guitarists working today.
He has been cranking out good stuff for 25 years
James McMurtry +1
LOL....I have no idea who half of the performers listed above are....

Singer/Song Writers....Patty Loveless....Bonnie Raitt....

Honorable mention to Leann Rhymes for her rendition of Patsi Cline's "Blue"....I can listen to her sing that song all day and never get tired of it....

Walon or Eric Clapton.....never get old either...

Trent Reznor
TVZ, yep; McMurtry, yep; McClinton, yep; Peart - in a class of his own. Lots of good ones listed.

I'd add:

Mark Knopfler
Chris Rea
J.J. Cale
Ray Wylie Hubbard
John Hiatt
Dave Alvin
Chris Ledoux
Jamey Johnson
Ryan Bingham
Tons of underrated local talent that just never caught the big break.
Peter Green the founder of Fleetwood Mac.

One of the best blues guitarists ever.
Wrote great songs like Black Magic Woman.
Nice lists so far.

A few influences who I think get very little recognition and who stood out to me at one point or another in my life:

Del Amitri - Justin Currie

Jellyfish- Sturmer Manning and Faulkner

Boston- Tom Scholz

Rush- Peart

Fountains of Wayne- Schlessinger (sp?)

Cars - Occassic & Orr

Robert Earl Keen.....the road goes on forever and the party never ends
http://www.laweekly.com/music/top-20-singer-songwriters-of-all-time-4632680
Ry Cooder
Bonnie Raitt
James Brown
Originally Posted by gonzaga
Dave Grohl.....

Grohl is a fantastic musician.
Jesse Winchester, Songwriter and Singer.
Adam duritz of Counting crows
John Prine
Jason Isbell

All of these guys really know how to tell a story in a song.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Few people know of Uriah Heap and the combined talent there. I would agree with these guys and just recently got a Ken Hensley solo album. Everyone should hear "The Wizard" just once to experience vocals and guitar at this level...
James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen and Ray Wylie Hubbard get my votes.
Todd Snider tells a good story.
Poco. So many guys went through that group and then attained stardom solo or in another group.
Former Black Sabbath frontman Tony Martin. Love all eras of the band but no other singer who held the mic for them could come close to matching his vocal prowess.

Also, Doogie White of Rainbow. Incredible voice that few have ever heard.

Steve Marriot and Peter Frampton - Humble Pie

Steve Gaines, damn airplane done robbed us
Bob Segar
Guy Clark

Slaid Cleaves...
Russell Smith

I agree about Gordon Lightfoot! A true musician in every sense of the word.
Steve Harris from Iron Maiden

Lou Reed
I'd never say KISS is "under rated" because they've sold a gazillion albums and EVERYBODY knows who they are, love them or hate them. I do not think they get the credit they deserve as musicians though. None of the original four were professionally trained and none of them could even read music. To reach the heights they reached with those limitations is remarkable. Peter Criss in particular is often maligned as a drummer. I will admit, his glory days are long over and his stamina is gone. But in the early days, he was an animal behind the kit.

Also, his "whiskey" voice made the songs he sang lead on that much better...

Nat King Cole...still great after 50 years. I also liked Roy Orbison. powdr

Plenty of good ones listed. I'll add Mr. Tom Waits.

16 shells from a 30.06
Whittle you into Kindlin'!

or the more prosaic Jersey Girl

I had to revisit Darrell's music. I must be getting old, but I still appreciate his contribution to rock. RIP.
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Few people know of Uriah Heap and the combined talent there. I would agree with these guys and just recently got a Ken Hensley solo album. Everyone should hear "The Wizard" just once to experience vocals and guitar at this level...

The real deal.

Don Felder of Eagles fame.

Not so much, but not mentioned, Van Morrison and Jim Croce.
What's wrong with these guys?

or this guy?

Truth is, musical genius far exceeds recognition.
Tom Waits
David Bromberg
George Strait, George Jones, Alan Jackson.

Warren Zevon, but not because of Werewolves of London
Originally Posted by calikooknic

Damn right. He was their secret weapon that never got the spotlight the others did.
Speaking of the lesser known Eagles I love Randy Meisner's voice in 'Take it to the limit'. They should of had him sing more.
Speaking of the lesser known Eagles I love Randy Meisner's voice in 'Take it to the limit'. They should of had him sing more.

He had some good solo stuff, too. Fantastic voice. It's amazing how much talent there was in The Eagles in their various incarnations.

I would agree, the Eagles missed an opportunity for sure.
Rory Gallagher
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I'd never say KISS is "under rated" because they've sold a gazillion albums and EVERYBODY knows who they are, love them or hate them. I do not think they get the credit they deserve as musicians though. None of the original four were professionally trained and none of them could even read music. To reach the heights they reached with those limitations is remarkable. Peter Criss in particular is often maligned as a drummer. I will admit, his glory days are long over and his stamina is gone. But in the early days, he was an animal behind the kit.

Also, his "whiskey" voice made the songs he sang lead on that much better...

I'm a huge EARLY Kiss fan. Kiss alive and alive 2 are 2 of my most favorite albums. BUT Peter Chris isn't or never was a great drummer and I know cause I'm a drummer. I watched the solo, 3 minutes of single stroke rolls doesn't make you a good drummer. That solo shows no skill what soever. I could have played that about the 3rd month I started playing drums. The best two musicians in the band was Ace and Gene. Paul is a great singer but plays guitar about as well as Peter plays drums. I still love them though.
Buddy Miller.

Dude writes beautiful songs, is a guitar virtuoso, and has done studio work with HUGE names in music yet his work is virtually unknown.
Bob Welch had a great voice. Unfortunately the only really good song it was ever applied to was 'Ebony Eyes'. Fleetwood only hit it big when Buckingham/Nicks replaced him.
Greg Lake & Peter Sinfield
Originally Posted by kecatt
Steve Harris from Iron Maiden

Agree, most people who aren't into this kind of music wouldn't guess how talented that whole band is.
I can't believe no one said Stevie Ray Vaughn the best guitar player in years. Delbert MC Clinton great song writer and singer. Van Morrison just keeps putting out great songs.
Tom T. Hall, Harlan Howard. Neil Diamond had some bubble gum stuff.

If Elton didnt suck off Bernie Taupin he must have hired a chick who did...

Not so much, but not mentioned, Van Morrison and Jim Croce.

I agree very much with these choices. My opinion is that Don Felder is a wizard on guitar, Van Morrison and Jim Croce (who left us way too soon) were great songwriters.
George Strait, George Jones, Alan Jackson.

Yes, very true, those three are about as country as you can get... But I don't know how that makes makes Marty(who had been touring with Lester Flatt and Johnny Cash before he was 20) any less country. He's like the modern day equivalent of Porter Wagoner.
Marty at work.....

He's no slouch on Clarence White's old B-Bender Telecaster either........

Wayne "the train" Hancock is highly underrated as well.
Mark Knophler as a writer and guitarist. Brilliant in both. Here he is at his best...

[video:youtube]v=aoMLXEGyAZU[/video]

Phoebe Buffay!

thanks for the Marty Stuart stuff- that was new to me. Dang good pickin'

I am not sure Knopfler and Vaughan fall in to the under rated category. Not that they aren't great of course but everyone already knew it. Kind of like mentioning Jimi Hendrix ya know?

Neil Peart isn't exactly underrated, for either his drumming or his writing ability. Alex Lifeson, OTOH, has never really gotten his due.
Billy Joe Shaver could be called underrated too I reckon, excellent songwriter. If it wasn't for him, Waylon might have not become as big as he did.
Billy Joe Shaver also gives some of the best interviews of all time.
Originally Posted by Heym06
I can't believe no one said Stevie Ray Vaughn the best guitar player in years.

I don't think so much underrated, though. Certainly not among other guitar players.

Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Mark Knophler as a writer and guitarist. Brilliant in both.

He can play the hell outta that guitar.

Also...you can go ahead and laugh, but George Thorogood. There, I said it and I'm glad! Not technically on the same level as SRV, but he can do very authentic Delta style slide guitar and he's damned good at it. He can make his guitar tell a story. GT always seemed to be pigeonholed as a novelty act and never got much respect. I'll be the first to admit his singing leaves something to be desired.
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Mark Knophler as a writer and guitarist. Brilliant in both. Here he is at his best...

[video:youtube]v=aoMLXEGyAZU[/video]

++++1
Songwriting genius, guitar virtuoso.
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Delbert McClinton, been around a long time.

For sure.
Glad to see the love for Steve Harris, and Wayne Hancock. Two of my personal favorites.

Jim Heath, of Reverend Horton Heat is a phenomenal guitarist who's style and song writing cover the gamut from early americana -country-blues-surf-punk- and metal. Check him out.

Old Crow Medicine Show, playing a bluegrass/Americana Style, with some wonderfully unique flair, write and perform some damn good stuff

Song writing, Social Distortion, love em

So many to choose from, but those come to mind first
Freddy Powers has been writing songs for the likes of Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and Waylon since 1962.

+1. IMO, one of the most underrated rock guitarists of all time.
Always felt Jason Isbell doesn't get enough credit for the success of DBT and for what he's doing now.

One of the best songwriters of my generation.

Originally Posted by teal
Always felt Jason Isbell doesn't get enough credit for the success of DBT and for what he's doing now.

One of the best songwriters of my generation.

Yup.
Originally Posted by billy336
Steve Gaines, damn airplane done robbed us
I'm thinking the cause of those deaths were maintenance and/or pilot neglect.
Terry Kath from Chicago. .
Originally Posted by Heym06
I can't believe no one said Stevie Ray Vaughn the best guitar player in years. Delbert MC Clinton great song writer and singer. Van Morrison just keeps putting out great songs.

I saw his last 2 concerts with my daughter.

She gave me a bootleg of the last one as a birthday present.
Never gets old.
Cody Canada of Cross Canadian Ragweed
Jason Boland of Jason Boland and the Stragglers
John Fogerty
Kris Kristofferson. Voice like a gravel road, can't carry a tune, but his writing is poetry and his songs tell a story that makes you feel like you are living it.

drover
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, been around about 50 years, still good. They haven't had many big hits. The only ones I can think of is "Mr. Bojangles", and a big album with the Carter Family, "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".
Eddie Raven
Originally Posted by willowcreek1996
Billy Joe Shaver also gives some of the best interviews of all time.

And he ain't a bad shot either!!

I think in that interview he said he hit that guy "right between a Mother and a phuquer!"
Kerry Livgren, Kansas.

Steve Miller is finally getting the recognition he has deserved years ago. And The Moody Blues are not where they should be in the R&R Hall of Fame.
Mark Farmer. Grand Funk Railroad
Neil Finn.
greg allman & the allman brothers band.
Warren Haynes, Dickey Betts if the Allman Bros
Charlie Gearhart

Mike
Some have been mentioned. As a group: Byrds, New Riders of the
Purple Sage,Trampled by Turtles,Pixies, Bongos, White Stripes.
Solo: Warren Zevon, Lou Reed, Lucinda Williams, John Hartford, Tom Waits, Randy Newman, John Mayall, John Prine, Mazy Star, Sons of the Pioneers.
Originally Posted by drover
Kris Kristofferson. Voice like a gravel road, can't carry a tune, but his writing is poetry and his songs tell a story that makes you feel like you are living it.

drover

Yep, Sunday Morning Great song.
Brian Finch
Brook Benton. I really like this mans voice. I wish I could duplicate it.

Another vote for Warren Haynes.
Christine McVie. Stevie got all the headlines
© 24hourcampfire