Home
Posted By: Joseywales Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Pretty sure our dog has ringworm. Can't get to the vet until Tuesday. We have another dog and kids, so I want to prevent a mess.

How contagious is it?

Any home remedy we can start with?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
VERY contagious. We went through it last year with a cat. In short, every animal got it and so did the wife and I. I didn't get it too bad, the wife got it much worse.

If your sure it's ringworm, this will work. Get several tubes, cuzz you're going to need it. Took about 1 1/2 months before everyone was 'healed'.

Don't be tempted to put a bandaid on the humans to keep it from 'spreading'. That shiet loves being enclosed and sweaty. Air is a good thing, along with liberal doses of the cream.

ENJOY!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobhanson1 Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Any of the anti-fungal athletes foot treatments will work. Get the cream version so you can apply it directly to the area.

Unfortunately everyone in the house has likely been exposed so just keep an eye out for spots and make sure they wash their hands after petting the dog.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Blu-Kote
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
lamisil
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Weird, because it almost looks like a tick bite, or other insect bites we see online. They all look so darn close. We sent a picture of it to a friend who is very familiar, but I think a trip to the vet is in order. When I get home, I'll try to post a picture.

We are at s campground and some folks said there's a type of ringworm that's contracted from ground contact, comes and goes on its own? Not sure I've heard of that.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
I haven't run into ringworm in many years. I do remember home remedies, none of which worked. I had a friend back in grade school who got it on his head. His mother smeared it with the juice from black walnut husks and made him wear a nylon stocking over his head. He had to wear that stupid thing for a month while the ringworm spread all over his head. She finally relented & took him to a doctor.
We are at s campground and some folks said there's a type of ringworm that's contracted from ground contact, comes and goes on its own? Not sure I've heard of that.
It's possible. It's a fungus and spores can probably be found about everywhere. Its fairly common for people to get it on their feet if they run around barefoot a lot.
Posted By: ringworm Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
most just put me on ignore.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by ringworm

Done!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
The few times my mules have had it, I washed the area with Betadine soap w/rinse 3 times a day.Took care of it in about a week
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by saddlesore
The few times my mules have had it, I washed the area with Betadine soap w/rinse 3 times a day.Took care of it in about a week

Yep....works on dogs too.....it's what my Vet recommends....
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16

laugh

Tincture of Iodine works.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about and what I was going to suggest. Thanks for the reminder as I thought I already had, but obviously hadn't...
Posted By: ingwe Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

That's what I thought this thread was going to be about and what I was going to suggest. Thanks for the reminder as I thought I already had, but obviously hadn't...

I did. But your quoting him let me see his post grin
Posted By: Wtxj Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

I did. But your quoting him let me see his post grin

I think the Poobah has ringworm, reason for the big ugly hat. whistle
Posted By: ringworm Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
I've adjusted my meds.. Obviously no one noticed. [Linked Image]
Posted By: okie Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Horseman's Dream Fung-A-Way

Cheap and effective...
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
If the dog has long hair, trim it from around the spot/s. UV light is very good anti-fungal treatment.

Any of the anti-fungals (lotrimin, lamisil women's feminine products etc.) will work. But they take time to thoroughly clear up.

I used to get it a few times a year. Cleaning regularly and treating it with something also to dry it out is helpful. On a small spot, I would use clorox. Betadine or alcohol can accomplish the same thing, to dry out the sore and tissue. Makes it hard for the fungus to survive and grow.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
For a dog, this will work every time, but it is off label usage.

Get some injectable Ivermectin from the vet that is designed for deworming cattle. For a "big" dog, the dose is between 2 and 5 cc. It works on fungus, lice, worms, ticks, fleas--just about anything that grows or bites.

One shot and done.
Posted By: bobhanson1 Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Get some injectable Ivermectin from the vet that is designed for deworming cattle. For a "big" dog, the dose is between 2 and 5 cc. It works on fungus, lice, worms, ticks, fleas--just about anything that grows or bites.

One shot and done.

Ivermectin has no effect on a fungus like ringworm. It's strictly for parasites.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10311-003-0049-0
Posted By: viking Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Get rid of cats, if you have any.
Posted By: Archerhunter Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Grandpa always said piss on your feet.
That or take a stroll through the hog waller barefooted.

It's just tinea fungus.

Same as jock itch, the stuff ya spray apple trees in the spring works on all 3 human maladies.

Posted By: johnw Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
I got it from working with the BILs calves 3 years ago. Noticed 2 red raised rings on my left arm. After self treating for 3 days it was spreading to my left ribcage area. Went to the VA clinic and the doc there recommended lamisil cream dosed liberally.

This stuff started on my left arm and after ten days and 20 tubes of lamisil I had it on both arms, my full torso, my neck, and down one leg to the knee.

On my 3rd trip to the VA clinic the doc prescribed 4 pills taken one week apart. Fluconazole, IIRC. It began clearing up the day after the first pill, and was gone in a week.

Before I went to the doc I tried iodine and sunlight. Never even slowed it down. Nothing to fool around with...
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Only a theory, but if you alloy ringworms with lead you won't need a sinker when using them for fish bait, and they won't ring either.
Originally Posted by bobhanson1

One shot and done.

Ivermectin has no effect on a fungus like ringworm. It's strictly for parasites.

If Ivomectin cures it, it was actually mites or something else. It won't get any fungus.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Ivermectin will kill certain breeds of dogs.

I learned that here several year ago. It is also printed right on the Ivermax cattle pour on label.

The only ringworm I have been around is on feedlot calves, especially this time of year. Turning them out on green grass will clear it right up. Ivermax won't do anything, strictly a parasiticide.
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Fella...would you please add a link to "betadine soap" so I can see exactly what you are referring to, I have not seen it here.

Please.
Posted By: cooper57m Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Tea Tree Oil. Ringworm is a fungus and tea tree oil is an anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-bacterial. It's readily found in a pharmacy and is effective and cost effective. Research it. We always keep a bottle of it in the house. This treatment is for if you get ringworm. Dogs and cats may not tolerate undiluted tea tree oil. I would do some research before applying it to your dog.

I just did a little research on tea tree oil for pets. It's not recommended unless it is very diluted. It's apparently toxic to pets but not for people. I usually dilute it with olive oil down to about 50% as this is less irritating and still quite effective.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16

One shot and done.

Nope, it cures ringworm just fine, a fungus. Many large animal vets will tell you the same thing on cattle on higher application rates. It's simply off-label use for ringworm. How it works I do not know, but that it does work is a guarantee and rather well-known for many years in farm/ranch country. Heck, I remember the cow vet using it on our dog back when I was kid, so we're talking at least three decades of knowing about it. Maybe it causes some other reaction in the animal that then results in getting rid of ringworm--bottom line is that the critter will be rid of their fungal infection, whether cow or dog.

It works on cats with ringworm too, if anyone cares about them. Don't quote me, but I think the cat dose is 1/2 cc.

If you give too large of a dose to a dog or cat, yes it will kill them.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16

One shot and done.

Nope, it cures ringworm just fine, a fungus. Many large animal vets will tell you the same thing on cattle on higher application rates. It's simply off-label use for ringworm. How it works I do not know, but that it does work is a guarantee and rather well-known for many years in farm/ranch country. Heck, I remember the cow vet using it on our dog back when I was kid, so we're talking at least three decades of knowing about it. Maybe it causes some other reaction in the animal that then results in getting rid of ringworm--bottom line is that the critter will be rid of their fungal infection, whether cow or dog.

It works on cats with ringworm too, if anyone cares about them. Don't quote me, but I think the cat dose is 1/2 cc.

I run nearly 10,000 head of bulls through the chute a year and many have ringworm that the owners are wanting to clear up.

Ivomec does not kill ringworm. Like Sam said, it is a parasiticide. Kills worms and such. Does nothing for ringworm. The past few years most bulls are getting hit with Ivomec 2 to 3 times a winter as the louse are becoming more tolerant of it and yet there continues to be ringworm everywhere.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Blu-Kote. Kills athlete's foot like a mofo too.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Treating ringworm - 05/29/16
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Blu-Kote. Kills athlete's foot like a mofo too.

Damned right it does.

Copper Sulphate ( also historically known as "Bluestone" )

....don't leave home without it.

GTC
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Treating ringworm - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by Tarkio

One shot and done.

I run nearly 10,000 head of bulls through the chute a year and many have ringworm that the owners are wanting to clear up.

Ivomec does not kill ringworm. Like Sam said, it is a parasiticide. Kills worms and such. Does nothing for ringworm. The past few years most bulls are getting hit with Ivomec 2 to 3 times a winter as the louse are becoming more tolerant of it and yet there continues to be ringworm everywhere.

Well, it works around here on thousands of head of cattle, so maybe there is something else going on. Either different "species" of fungus that respond differently, or else it kills the parasite load so that the critters somehow have a different immune response to the ringworm itself.

Also, are you "pouring" or doing "injectable?" I am only claiming that the injectable works against ringworm, and usually requires a higher off-label dose to do so.
Posted By: bobhanson1 Re: Treating ringworm - 05/30/16

One shot and done.

I'm a mixed animal vet and can assure you ivermectin doesn't treat ringworm at any dose, and this is well documented. As others noted it is most likely mites, lice, mange, or other parasites if ivermectin cures the issue. As the article link I posted above shows ivermectin can actually make a fungus grown better...
Posted By: RHutch Re: Treating ringworm - 05/30/16
Yeah Bob Hanson, but your knowledge and opinion don't count on an innanet forum cause you actually know WTF you are talking about.
Get with the program.... wink

Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Treating ringworm - 05/30/16
If your animal is losing patches of hair, quite likely it's one of the forms of mange rather than ringworm. Mange is caused by a mite and can be cured with Ivermectin.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Treating ringworm - 05/30/16
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Blu-Kote

This...IME works for whatever is wrong with kids, dogs or horses.
© 24hourcampfire