Home
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...to-plead-for-help-from-humans-after-bei/

Our Foreign Staff

2 June 2016 • 11:46pm

An injured elephant appears to be seeking out humans for help after it was shot by a poacher in an act which surprised Nick Milne and his guests in Zimbabwe, according to photographs.

Ben, a bull elephant, approached the Bumi Hills Safari Lodge and the manager quickly noticed that it had a limp and appeared to be severely injured. In photographs, the elephant is looking inside and it appears that he is indeed seeking assistance.

Unfortunately there was no in-house veterinarian at the lodge because the vet had gone for the weekend.

But one kind vet offered to fly 200 miles from Harare to provide medical assistance to the elephant and arrived within six hours. In that time, Ben apparently waited patiently, supping on water and grazing, MailOnline reported.
Ben looking inside the lodge
Ben had two bullet holes in one ear after apparently being shot by a poacher Credit: Bumi Hills Foundation

The elephant, believed to be 30 years old, was then tranquillised and soon it was discovered that Ben had been shot because of a deep wound in his shoulder.

It is believed to have been a result of a poacher's shot - and it turned out Ben, named after the individual who treated him first, was in fact shot twice after two bullet holes were found in his ear.

Nick Milne, trust manager at the Bumi Hills Foundation, told News24: "Logic would suggest that if an animal has an injury that considerably hampers its mobility, it would not attempt the climb and would rather stay on the level ground near water."

He added: "The dart went into his rump perfectly and he only moved off a short distance in the seven minutes before he went down. He also landed perfectly on his haunches with his right side up a slope, the perfect position considering we needed to work on his left side."
Elephant being washing
A clean after being treated Credit: Bumi Hills Foundation

Usually the the lodge's conservation manager can treat wild animals who are hurt but the individual was away for business.

It was not clear when the incident took place but Ben survived the attempts on his life after the vet treated him and disinfected his wounds. Ben now wears a tracking device to ensure his improvement can be monitored as it continues healing on the property.
More humanization from the left.

GFY
hard to conside4 that an animal with a brain that large wouldn't be able to work out things. my dog will come to me if she hurts herself and favor the wound.
I'm a free speech guy, but 24HCF should ban retard posts.
When someone like TLEE is being told to GFY and labeled a "retard" for posting a damned news article, the Campfire has sunk to a new low.

T's a better man, by a long shot, than most and has been here since the beginning; well respected, at that.
That's right !!!
Originally Posted by 4ager
When someone like TLEE is being told to GFY and labeled a "retard" for posting a damned news article, the Campfire has sunk to a new low.

T's a better man, by a long shot, than most and has been here since the beginning; well respected, at that.

I got to agree with you on this one.
Good story, thanks for posting. Poaching is a very bad business. Hope "Ben" recovers nicely.

I do believe SAC was reffering to Bellydeep but I agree the retard thing was way outta line.

The only reason T posted that article was it was interesting, he had no hidden agenda such as "humanizing" an animal.
Correct.
I definitely will not disparage T LEE but would like to make a couple of comments about the article.

I am familiar with the Bumi Hills Safari Lodge. They are located on Lake Kariba in Zimbabwe and are basically surrounded by a hunting operator on the land side of the property. The hunting concession is over 1,000,000 acres, Bumi Hills is only a fraction of that size.

Several years ago Bumi ran a story that the hunting operator killed the last lion in the area. It was an out and out lie. It was an attempt to garner attention in a "Cecil" fashion. Since the "last" lion was killed the hunting operator has taken several lions with the population steadily growing due to the hunting operator's conservation efforts.

There are other parts of that story that ALL hunters need to pay attention. These stories are written like animals are people with phrases like "attempts on his life". Animals are named to humanize them. We will wake up one day and there will be animal rights written in law.

The anti-hunters have made great strides in making extremely difficult to hunt many species in Africa. They will not stop until all hunting is banned. It is no different than the anti-gun crowd. Do you think they want to stop at AR-15s?

I do not believe much if anything that comes out of Bumi or any other anti-hunting organization.
Why do a bunch of guys who write teary eyed threads about dogs at least once a week get mad when it is suggested that an animal that is probably about five times smarter than your average pooch on the animal IQ scale would be smart enough to figure out that those particular humans might help him?
I do not have a Walt Disney out look, wild animals are wild animals, period. But, the F*CK!NG poachers are the lowest form of scum on the planet. I am glad the elephant got a second chance by knowing where he might be safe and helped.
TLEE,

Poachers are the lowest form of life, or at least right next to the anti-hunters that fabricate lies constantly to end hunting.

The following pictures were taking by a buddy who is a PH in Zim. He was hunting with a client and found a lion in a snare. They stopped the hunt found a vet with a tranquilizer gun, darted the lion, and released it.

Poachers are the purest from of scum, hunters are real conservationists.

[Linked Image]
So this is a wild one or semi adjusted to humans round and about? If truly wild it amazes me the animal comes up with 'I can't beat me so i'll join the ones that never try to harm me'. Guess they are all somewhat semi adjusted by now.
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Why do a bunch of guys who write teary eyed threads about dogs at least once a week get mad when it is suggested that an animal that is probably about five times smarter than your average pooch on the animal IQ scale would be smart enough to figure out that those particular humans might help him?

Ya, and them f:ckers name there dogs too!

It's obvious there try to "humanize" them grin

Shod
Originally Posted by Mike70560

There are other parts of that story that ALL hunters need to pay attention. These stories are written like animals are people with phrases like "attempts on his life". Animals are named to humanize them. We will wake up one day and there will be animal rights written in law.

The anti-hunters have made great strides in making extremely difficult to hunt many species in Africa. They will not stop until all hunting is banned. It is no different than the anti-gun crowd.

Exactly.

Apparently SACharlie has his head too far up his azz to realize it though.

Nothing against the OP for posting the article, it is interesting. But I recognize anti-hunting propaganda when I see it.
It didn't take, GFY again.
T LEE and Mike70560,

Poachers are the purest from of scum,

They are only one step up from anti- American Democrats.
Thanks Terry
Fück Poachers!!!!!!!!!!
Animals are or can be smarter than most people give them credit for. And that's not "humanizing" them. I got stories.... And they feel loyalty, love, grief, joy, depression. They also figure out real quick where it is safe and where it is not for them to be.

Brings to mind a story my youngest brother tells from one of his college classes- probably psycology. The teacher asked the class to define the main difference between people and animals.

The "correct" answer was that people can reason, and animals can't. My brother (being a big mouth like myself) said," Wait a minute! I have a Golden Retriever that can reason better than half the people in this class". (That might have been true- Buford was amazing!)

Of course, that pissed off half the people in the class. The other half knew who Bob was referring to..... smile
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
It didn't take, GFY again.

That's ok. You're from TX. I didn't expect you to get it without a few 'splainins

Well when you see who posted that GFY..... it should come as no surprise.... Schidt Azz Charlie prides himself in being a leftist Horse's ASS.

yeah, I read the entire thread... and I still stand by the above statement... strictly a troll and contributes nothing to this site.
Mark Levin brought up this story on his radio show yesterday. He was very much anti-poacher and had sympathy for the elephants and rhinos who are being poached out of existence by Obongo's children.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Well when you see who posted that GFY..... it should come as no surprise.... Schidt Azz Charlie prides himself in being a leftist Horse's ASS.

yeah, I read the entire thread... and I still stand by the above statement... strictly a troll and contributes nothing to this site.

I read SAC's reply differently, I saw it as a reply to Bellydeep, not to TLee.
Seafart, Bellydeep is having a hard time with his assignment maybe you can show him how it's done and then both of you can smoke a cig and STFU.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Seafire

I read SAC's reply differently, I saw it as a reply to Bellydeep, not to TLee.

Correct! I stand with TLEE and all his posts on critters.
Originally Posted by SAcharlie
Seafart, Bellydeep is having a hard time with his assignment maybe you can show him how it's done and then both of you can smoke a cig and STFU.

Thats a pretty good comeback. For a Texan, anyway.
Why do I even bother anymore?
Originally Posted by T LEE

You are either an optimist, or a masochist and it really doesn't matter which on these fora as the result is the same.
There was a great article from National Review earlier this week on the ramifications of a society humanizing animals relating to the gorilla shooting.
The MSM saw the success of this after the Cecil the Lion incident.
Last week it was "Scarface the Grizzly Killed By Hunter" until surprise, the bear surfaces with its cubs.

Here was the article.

National Review Article.

I agree!!

ROFLMAO when I read this with your avatar strolling away!
Originally Posted by ransome_henshaw
There was a great article from National Review earlier this week on the ramifications of a society humanizing animals relating to the gorilla shooting.
Last week it was "Scarface the Grizzly Killed By Hunter" until surprise, the bear surfaces with its cubs.

Here was the article.

National Review Article.

The "Cecil" strategy is now #1 in their playbook

#1 Because of the ones that do appreciate your posts.

#2 Because your not the type to let a jackass push you around and win.

There's two reasons need anymore?

Here was the article.

National Review Article.

Good post Ransome. Unfortunately, we've been told for months by the cognoscenti here at 24hour that National Review is a RINO, Neo-Con loser of a rag (since they oppose Trump) and therefore we can't trust a thing they write. crazy Sorry. blush Nice try though. grin FWIW, I like NR too. Lots of good, conservative analysis there. Unfortunately, conservatives aren't welcome here by a high percentage of the folks on this forum.
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Unfortunately, conservatives aren't welcome here by a high percentage of the folks on this forum.

Yeah, some of us become "unwelcoming" when *your* version of a conservative includes Mitt Romney.

Apologies........
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Here was the article.

National Review Article.

Good post Ransome. Unfortunately, we've been told for months by the cognoscenti here at 24hour that National Review is a RINO, Neo-Con loser of a rag (since they oppose Trump) and therefore we can't trust a thing they write. crazy Sorry. blush Nice try though. grin FWIW, I like NR too. Lots of good, conservative analysis there. Unfortunately, conservatives aren't welcome here by a high percentage of the folks on this forum.

Thanks. NR does have some good pointed analysis as leaders of the #NeverTrump crowd though don't agree 100%...Between bad and worse I'll take bad given the number of SCOTUS vacancies. Their editor Rich Lowry did however have this insulting bit of presumptious piety regarding hunters and hunting"

"The question is what should the Cincinnati Zoo have done when forced to choose between the welfare of a prodigious animal and a small human?

This wasn't a case of a hunter who went out of his way at great expense and trouble to shoot a lion or some other glorious creature for the triumphant photo with the carcass and the trophy on the wall back home. This wasn't a poacher who killed for tawdry profit.

This wasn't a fly-by-night roadside attraction abusing the poor creatures in its clutches.

This was a serious, responsible institution confronted with a life-and-death crisis, in real time and not of its devising."

Full article was here via NR and Newsmax.

Rich Lowry on Cincinnatti Gorilla via Newmax/NR
© 24hourcampfire