Home
Posted By: logger Colonoscopy - Suprep or Miralax - 06/09/16
So it's time for my every ten year colonoscopy. In the past I've used the Miralax method for bowel prep, but now my doc is recommending using a newer chemical mix (Suprep) which takes a prescription. Any advice on the preferred approach? I've read that some people have difficulty gagging down the Suprep, but it requires less fluid intake.
Have used Suprep twice, it's not terrible but not great either. Super salty tasting with a little grape flavoring.

You drink the first 16oz. of solution followed by 32oz of your liquid of choice in the following hour.

Then you wait a few hours and repeat with the second dose and 32oz more liquid.

The first dose goes down pretty easy, the second dose was a little more of a struggle to get down and keep down. But no real problems with it, it works.
It all comes out in the end...
Yup. The first dose of Suprep is not too bad. You're supposed to take the second dose four hours before the procedure - so if you have a 7:30 am appointment like I did, you have to get up in the wee hours.

You also will very likely throw up much of that second dose - your body knows that stuff does NOT belong inside you! And then, you may still be "leaking" the resulting bright yellow liquid right up until they put you under. Most embarrassing.

That was my experience.
Originally Posted by kecatt
It all comes out at the end...

FIFY
A colonoscopy is like being an astronaut: Your part ends with a rearentry.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Have used Suprep twice, it's not terrible but not great either. Super salty tasting with a little grape flavoring.

You drink the first 16oz. of solution followed by 32oz of your liquid of choice in the following hour.

Then you wait a few hours and repeat with the second dose and 32oz more liquid.

The first dose goes down pretty easy, the second dose was a little more of a struggle to get down and keep down. But no real problems with it, it works.
If you drink your liquid of choice first, you likely won't notice the Suprep.
I was told to use magnesium citrate or something like that. my doc allowed me to mix it 50/50 with sprite. The solution was lemon flavored as well. I didn't think it was that that bad.
Yea, the stuff I used I mixed with lime gatorade
I use what ever my doc says to use.
Suprep with water is horrible stuff.

My second dose I mixed it with Sprite which made it somewhat palatable. I saw nothing in the instructions that said you couldn't use Sprite instead of water.

Originally Posted by postoak
Suprep with water is horrible stuff.

My second dose I mixed it with Sprite which made it somewhat palatable. I saw nothing in the instructions that said you couldn't use Sprite instead of water.

I was told I could use pretty much anything with Suprep as long as it was mostly clear and didn't have red, blue, or purple dye in it, ie Sprite, Gatorade, Lemonade, Canada Dry, etc.

Crunching on frozen fruit popsicles directly after chugging the swill really helped me keep it down.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I lost about half my second dose, and I can usually eat or drink anything.
Did it last week.
Dulcolax tablets, Miralax and Magnesium Citrate.
Originally Posted by dale06
I use what ever my doc says to use.

Good for you. Obviously there are options. Why take the hard road if there is a better /easier route.
My doc and I hunt together. He takes care of me. I doubt that he is prescribing the second best option.
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
Did it last week.
Dulcolax tablets, Miralax and Magnesium Citrate.

Goodness.

When it's my turn I am doing the under-cooked pork chop.
Originally Posted by kecatt
It all comes out OF the end...

Fixed it...
I used the prescribed gallon jug it said it will cause diarrhea in the instructions.

well it should say causes NONSTOP FLAMING STARFISH JET SPRAY DIARRHEA !!!!!
at least try and warn a fella sheash.
I don't remember what I used, back in 2000. I do remember the anesthetist gal asking me whether I wanted anesthetic.
I replied "Hell yes I want the stuff that Michael Jackson got."
Today, that would be like saying "I want the stuff that Prince got."

That anesthetist gal broke out laughing. I used to be a paremedic, that is called dark medical humor.
So she used Versed and I give it 2 thumbs up, I felt no pain or discomfort.
Don't remember a thing

My wife tells jokes about me though!
Just get a couple of bottles of castor oil and be done with it. Well, not immediately done, LOL.
Both of us have ours with no anesthesia - uncomfortable, but not as bad as the drug after-effects.
"The Warden" says Go-Litely is an oxy-moron smile
They used to use Citrate of magnesia which produced the desired result so quickly that you had better be firmly seated on the throne before putting the bottle to your lips. Lift-off was achieved before finishing the bottle of that stuff or so it seemed. Glad they have found somewhat kinder gentler means to produce the desired result. Can't say that I miss that vile stuff.
© 24hourcampfire