Home
http://www.whsv.com/content/news/Mountain-lion-attack-reported-near-Humpback-Rock-385246261.html

guess vdgif will have to admit we have some now.
Yeah, I know that area well and there have been mountain lions there for a LONG time.

Of course, they are saying it's "unclear what attacked the man", so they will spin it as a bobcat.
I can hear it now - large rabid house cat attacked a man.. Mountain lion? No, none around here - trust us..
I doubt they'll admit it, that will cause too many problems.
I had one in my driveway a few days ago...
Originally Posted by srwshooter

ODWC did the same here until one was killed on the road within 40 miles of OKC and the news got ahold of the story. Then they had to admit that Yes there's a population of cats running around, but probably just a few...

yeah right...
Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit

[b][color:#000099]Kill da wabbit....... >>>---------> Click here[/color][/b]
a good friend of mine who is a professional wildlife photographer took a picture of one climbing down a tree on the mountain near me a few months back. clearly a mountain lion and the vdgif still said it was a bobcat.

Gunsmith in No Wilkesboro, NC has a game cam picture of a cougar that would do some serious damage to whatever it ran into.
What's up with those G&F people. Back in ND, people would claim to see one now and and again. They would report it to G&F. G&F would scoff at the idea of big cats running loose on the prairie.

Then after a couple got shot. G&F come up with a season on them real fast. A lot of people claimed that G&F helped introduce them to the state to controll the at the time out of control deer population.
There in one (at least) in Floyd, VA where I deer hunt, but not worth the drama to convince VDGIF... and them mucking about with their 'ologists on private land.

I don't need there "help" and they don't need mine... so don't molest my hunt is best.

KS too
I know for sure that Virginia had one Mountain Lion, because when I was a teen back in the 60's I saw one while deer hunting at Love Lady Gap in Lee County. I watched it for more than 15 min's and if i had a rifle i would have shot it but i was carrying a single barrel shotgun loaded with a slug which it was just out of range of. No one believed me but i know what i saw.
Eastern Cougars have been considered endangered/extinct in many states.

There are several sub-species of "cougar", so just because one is occasionally sighted doesn't mean it belongs to the group that is extinct, or that there is a breeding population in the area.

Most are imported "Western" cougars.

A consensus exists among wildlife officials in 21 eastern states that the eastern cougar subspecies has been extirpated from eastern United States.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_cougar
I watched a mountain lion cross a pasture about 200 yards from me while I was deer hunting in Grayson Co. VA along the NC border in 1993. An impressive critter for sure.

I have also found mountain lion tracks in that same area since.
Yeah, none in Nebraska either...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2lsnWEoCo
Pretty rare for a lion to fugg with people. That was one unlucky dude!

Ton of them out here. Amazing creatures.
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
Yeah, none in Nebraska either...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XV2lsnWEoCo

Good Lord, how many times do you have to shoot a mountain lion to kill it? Three .12 gauges firing multiple times and then a rapid burst from a handgun. Mountain lions aren't that tough. My guess is these officers aren't hunters.
bea175 if that dog every has a litter, I would love to get one of the puppies. Awesome dog!
Here is my opinion on mountain lions in Virginia- click the link for a read

A google search this morning turned up nothing more on the guy that was attacked - you know someone has looked at his wounds
[Linked Image]
All I know is there has to be about 1000 black panthers (the furry 4 legged kind) in the east and southeast. If I had a dime for every person that has told me they've seen a black panther, I'd be rich.

i have had police friends tell me that the park people have brought western mountain lions hear a released them on the shenandoah national park to help control the deer population.they know they are here.
Originally Posted by viking
What's up with those G&F people. Back in ND, people would claim to see one now and and again. They would report it to G&F. G&F would scoff at the idea of big cats running loose on the prairie.

Then after a couple got shot. G&F come up with a season on them real fast. A lot of people claimed that G&F helped introduce them to the state to controll the at the time out of control deer population.

"Hell, I Was There" Then. smile Ditto.
My brother and his hunting partners were seeing wolves while elk hunting annually in Frank Church Wilderness (Middle Fork Salmon) 5 years before they were "introduced" or acknowledged.

I met a griz with cubs in northern Idaho in the late 60's where none existed.... so there was a male around as well.

It's a conspiracy...... smile
Originally Posted by Steelhead
All I know is there has to be about 1000 black panthers (the furry 4 legged kind) in the east and southeast. If I had a dime for every person that has told me they've seen a black panther, I'd be rich.

That's the going thing around here right now. Everywhere you go someone saw a black panther.

No question in my mind at all. Both my son and my ex had lions cross the road in front of them near Winchester. Hell, my cousin has seen one twice while deer hunting near La Plata, Maryland. The first time, it circled around his deer stand growling and in general acting like an ass. Kinda un-nerving for a guy hunting with a point-ed stick.

Won't be long before some azz says, "if the experts say they're not there, they're not there".

I don't necessarily buy into the stories about the game people bringing them in to control deer. They probably were never entirely gone.
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

That's the going thing around here right now. Everywhere you go someone saw a black panther.

Having moved around a BUNCH, I've heard it EVERYWHERE. The last two cases were all near waterways (rivers, creeks) and I told them my guess was an otter. They weren't buying that.

Having moved around a BUNCH, I've heard it EVERYWHERE. The last two cases were all near waterways (rivers, creeks) and I told them my guess was an otter. They weren't buying that.

My wife showed me a post from facebook a couple weeks ago from a citizen that had taken a picture of a black panther that was dead on the side of the road. When people told her it was a large black pitbull that was ran over the battle heated up because it had to be a panther because "pitbulls don't have tails."

We have people around here that won't leave their house because someone saw a black panther in their area. A guy told me the other day that they had to be real because his preacher saw one driving home one night, lol.

At least it's not just around here.
Bigfoot of the southeast!
Bigfoot of the southeast!

We got them too. smile

Had a guy a couple years ago tell me a grizzly bear came up to his tree stand, stood on it's hind legs, and rested it's chin on his tree stand foot platform that was 17' up. He would have shot it but it was bow season.
And folks wonder how Obama got elected.....twice.
buddy told me onetime, sit in this blind i saw a black panther here yesterday. after sitting there about a hr a big black house cat came walking across the sendero.

Oh, they exist alright. And in large numbers. They just don't show up in pictures, just like vampires don't.
Admitting a species exists in range that it's historically been eradicated from leaves states open to meddling from the feral govt.

Once those scumbags and their toadies invoke the ESA, any economic, infrastructure or resource development gets severely suppressed.

The shoot, shovel, shut-up protocol should be in effect here.
http://www.whsv.com/content/news/NEW-PHOTOS-Man-attacked-by-bobcat-near-Humpback-Rock-385474351.html

well,as pedicted. it was a bobcat not a mountain lion.

so they say.
I once had a large male bobcat walk under my ne of my stands. It was a beautiful cat, almost devoid of spots and about 45 lbs. I knew what it was immediately as it stood at 20 yards. For months the neighbors told me stories of a cougar they had seen recently. I know it was that bobcat.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
buddy told me onetime, sit in this blind i saw a black panther here yesterday. after sitting there about a hr a big black house cat came walking across the sendero.

I see a "black panther" at least once a week when leaving to go to work or coming back home when I pass my neighbor's house. I'm pretty sure it comes to visit the neighbor's female cat.
Just read in the Richmond Times Dispatch that a large bobcat was responsible for the attack....
All it will take is someone shooting a mountain lion because they mistook it for a bobcat. DGIF says there's no mountain lions and they also say you can't shoot one.
© 24hourcampfire