Home
Trying to decide between a Ruger AR-556 and an Armalite Eagle AR-15. The Armalite is $100 less. Any important differences I should be aware of? (Leaning toward the Ruger, if in fact I buy.)

Thanks.
Steve.
The Ruger has some non standard parts. I'd go with the Eagle.

kwg
Have a ruger. No issues except heavy trigger. Took 1 click of the front sight to sight in out of the box.
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

What non-standard parts does the AR 556 have?
The Eagle is supposed to be an "entry level" AR-15. What deficiencies will it have that can't be up-graded over time?

Steve.
I'd go with the Ruger if for nothing else but the better quality barrel.

As to "non-standard" parts, I guess he's referring to commercial vs. Mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Not a big deal at all IMHO.

As to the trigger issue, most have less-than-perfect triggers out of the box. That's why Geissele has so much of my money... blush

Ed
Eagle. If you are on a budget, upgrade standard parts like the hand guard, trigger and stock later.
Thanks, guys. Keep the thoughts coming.

Steve.
The Ruger is a very well made AR. Milled front sight and gas block, PMag 30 rd magazine and 6 position stock. Like the man said, buy a Geissele trigger and your good to go with no other replacement parts needed.
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
I'd go with the Ruger if for nothing else but the better quality barrel.

As to "non-standard" parts, I guess he's referring to commercial vs. Mil-spec buffer tube assembly. Not a big deal at all IMHO.

As to the trigger issue, most have less-than-perfect triggers out of the box. That's why Geissele has so much of my money... blush

Ed
Having the Ruger, I'd support Ed's recommendation...

I've been pleased with mine..

Acquired mine via Whitakers, ShortAction Shooter...

ya couldn't deal with finer people...

and always a great price... super turnaround...
Another vote for the Ruger.
With the Ruger having a windage adjustable rear sight out of the box, it was my choice.
You won't go wrong with the Ruger. My only upgrade was a Magpul stock and fore arm----no heat shield in the fore arm and it gets hot quick. Probably a common issue with guns at this price point.
I do like Armalite. Good barrels and bolts have lead to a very reliable AR-15.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Originally Posted by kwg020

kwg

What non-standard parts does the AR 556 have?

The big one that is giving folks some issues is the plastic hand guard ring at the rear of the barrel. If you don't turn it just the right way, it breaks or gets stuck. The other is the front sight. Not a huge issue and it's my understanding it has a commercial butt stock.

The last issue is the price. It's meant to be an entry level rifle sold for around $500. Demand has driven the price to closer to $600 or more. I just don't think the rifle is worth the $600 price tag with non Milspec parts. Demand or no demand. Ruger or no Ruger.

I'm sure there is some issues with the Eagle I would not like as well. Since it's an entry level gun I'm sure there were short cuts but:

The question by the OP was "Ruger or Eagle" I would buy the Eagle and not the Ruger and that's the reasons why.

kwg
I've handled both and sold both through my buddy's shop. If I were spending my dimes on one or the other, I'd buy the Armalite.

I do like the Ruger better than the Smith and Wesson Sport, though.
Thanks KWG, I knew about the commercial buffer tube, but I don't see that as a huge issue since you can get just everything for a commercial or mil-spec tube. I did NOT know about the handguard ring. That would be something I'd want to swap quickly.
I was told the S&W was the best buy now days, for a solid entry level AR.

What says the fire?

Thanks guys!

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
I was told the S&W was the best buy now days, for a solid entry level AR. What says the fire? Thanks guys! Virgil B.

Two of my students have shown up with the S&W M&P and I have to say, I like them better than the Ruger or the Armalite.

Great entry-level guns!

Ed
I wanted a Coyote rifle.
The Ruger is perfect except for the heavy trigger.
Thanks KWG, I knew about the commercial buffer tube, but I don't see that as a huge issue since you can get just everything for a commercial or mil-spec tube. I did NOT know about the handguard ring. That would be something I'd want to swap quickly.

In reality, I like building my AR's and I prefer the results over the Eagle or Ruger pretty much for the same money as either.

kwg

If you've got a list of items you plan to swap out on an entry level gun, you'll be dollars ahead just building what you want from the get go and will be starting with what you want. Entry level guns are only cheap if they are what you want as is.
My current AR was a build that I put together with everything I wanted. It's been a great gun. I've been pretty tempted by the SR 556 just because #1 you can never have too many rifles and #2 there have been some really smoking deals on them lately.
Ruger. I own one, love it.

dave
© 24hourcampfire