Home
I do not get dew point. (Confession is good for the soul.)
Simple.

The dew point (dew point temperature or dewpoint) is the temperature at which dew forms and is a measure of atmospheric moisture. It is the temperature to which air must be cooled at constant pressure and water content to reach saturation.
Silly me! smile
John-
this might help.
Pretty much a function of the ambient relative humidity

Dew point ...Human perception[6] ...Relative humidity at 32 °C (90 °F)

Over 26 °C Over 80 °F Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses 73% and higher

24–26 °C 75–80 °F Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive 62–72%

21–24 °C 70–74 °F Very humid, quite uncomfortable 52–61%

18–21 °C 65–69 °F Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge 44–51%

16–18 °C 60–64 °F OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge 37–43%

13–16 °C 55–59 °F Comfortable 31–36%

10–12 °C 50–54 °F Very comfortable 26–30%

Under 10 °C Under 50 °F A bit dry for some 25% and lower
Originally Posted by ironbender
John-
this might help.
Pretty much a function of the ambient relative humidity

Dew point ...Human perception[6] ...Relative humidity at 32 °C (90 °F)

Over 26 °C Over 80 °F Severely high. Even deadly for asthma related illnesses 73% and higher

24–26 °C 75–80 °F Extremely uncomfortable, fairly oppressive 62–72%

21–24 °C 70–74 °F Very humid, quite uncomfortable 52–61%

18–21 °C 65–69 °F Somewhat uncomfortable for most people at upper edge 44–51%

16–18 °C 60–64 °F OK for most, but all perceive the humidity at upper edge 37–43%

13–16 °C 55–59 °F Comfortable 31–36%

10–12 °C 50–54 °F Very comfortable 26–30%

Under 10 °C Under 50 °F A bit dry for some 25% and lower

Ours is 78* at the moment. frown
OK wise guys.....

Density altitude?
The temperature ones chilled glass needs to reach for moisture to begins forming on its surface.
Wish you guys had C stuck up your Arse this is America use F for christ sake
A high dew point is when it feels like you don't want to dew anything outside.
Relative humidity is a sort of left-handed way of looking at dewpoint. The dewpoint number is what meteorologists use in their calculations, but relative humidity is what they give to Joe Sixpack.

The simplest explanation of dewpoint is the temperature at which relative humidity reaches 100%. What changes it is the amount of water vapor in the air. The less water vapor, the lower the temp has to be to achieve saturation (100% RH) and therefore condensation.

Just the RH number tells you very little. You can have an RH number of 50% or any other percent with next to no water vapor or a bunch of it. That's why dewpoint is more useful to the experts.

Density altitude relates to atmospheric pressure. Air becomes less dense as altitude increases, as we all know. But because the pressure at the surface changes, what you read on your plane's altimeter may not report your real height above the ground. So density altitude is a correction for the present barometric pressure. Pilots set their altimeters to a reported barometric reading so they know their real altitude.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Today was a good day to illustrate the point. SIC At least it was in Central Iowa.
We have lots of DEW plants in the mountains. It stands for Deer Early Warning. They're plants like mules ear and the like that, when the humidity is low, crunch loudly when you get within 10' of them to warn deer of your approach.
Weather rock has always been my standard. Don't pay much attention to all the other jargon.
I'm determined to never understand dew point. It's a useless piece of information I never needed as a robust 12 year old, how important can it be? laugh
Dewpoint, transistor theory, what women really want...

Lots of things a 12-yo doesn't understand. Even grown up ones.
All the above ^ sounds too complicated.

Fuggit

Mike
when new dry kiln operators start out, sometimes they get confused with the wet bulb temp. and dry bulb temp in sequencing the drying cycle.

a few ruined loads of FAS oak, and they pick up speed pretty quickly.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Dewpoint, transistor theory, what women really want...

Lots of things a 12-yo doesn't understand. Even grown up ones.

I took a senior/graduate level course in solid state physics, i.e. semiconductor physics. Phew!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density_altitude
Every few years we have a high pressure dome that renders altimeters inaccurate. usually in the winter.
Just some quick thoughts for all the 12-yr-olds out there:

1) If the dewpoint is close to the current temperature, it's going to rain.
2) If the dewpoint is really low, don't burn your trash. At least wait until after the sun goes down.
3) On spring mornings, if the dewpoint goes down while the temperature is going up, grab your gun and go turkey hunting. Gobblers love drying conditions as they come off the roost.
4) In the summer, a steeply rising dewpoint often brings on a thunderstorm.
5) In the winter you can still feel the difference. High dewpoints suck heat out of you really fast.
Rocky, I thought relative humidity was the sweat on you balls when screwing you cousin....course I could be wrong. grin

Clyde
Originally Posted by 5sdad

John, the date should be on the payment dew slip..
As they say around here "air you can wear"
Nor do I get the point.

Obviously most everyone that posted on this thread doesn't either.
Right now in scenic Ogden, it's 91°F. The dewpoint is 27°F. Which converts to a relative humidity of 10%.

That 64 degree spread means that a packet of air from the surface would have to be lifted about 11,600 feet before it cools to the dewpoint and forms clouds. (This is called adiabatic cooling, and is roughly 5.5°F per 1,000 feet of altitude change.) Thus, the cloud base here in Ogden right now can't be lower than 11,600 feet above the ground.

And THAT means it ain't a gonna rain.
It is the time at which you reach a conclusion that you would like to get up from your nap and "do" something......Do Point.
© 24hourcampfire