Home
Some years ago I sold my friend a Remington 700 Varmint in 243. I had done all the load work up and had a .65 shooter with 65 grain V-Max bullets.

But I wanted an AR

He just told me he went to Egypt valley and killed 12 coyotes in 2 days. Egypt Valley is an old strip mine area now a wildlife area. With all the high walls it is not real safe to walk in there at night. The southern portion does not have a lot of trees, grass and scrub brush.

His caller is an old one with a detachable speaker on a long wire. He converted it from cassette to a CD player with an adapter.

He said he shot from the top of the high walls but aimed the speaker at the bottom of the wall reflecting the sound I guess.

Yeah, I should have kept that rifle. Well, at least a friend is enjoying it.
well if you would have gone, and had the AR along you could have killed at least that many and possibly more if he happened to miss a 2nd or 3rd one due to having to run the bolt....

And that barrel will be toast in 1200 or so rounds anyway, but your 223 will be fine for likely at least 3500 or even way more...
I don't know how many rounds are down that pipe, probably in the 500 region. He is still using the fitted brass I made for it. Made from Lake City 30-06 brass and neck turned. I gave him 100 rounds loaded, he may still be using that.
Who calls dogs in August?

Travis
Nobody who calls himself a Texan would... crack ho's, however...
We call them a lot in August. They come in pretty well at night. Shoot them with night vision scope and suppressor. Sub-sonic 308. Some times you get 2 or 3 if you cold cock them. Get pigs at night. If you hit them in the head, the other pigs think they decided to lay down. Tons of fun.
wink
Armednfre,

Is the whole Egypt valley area a high-wall mine, or just part of it ?
I have never looked around there, so don't know.

What did they call the humungus machine that dug that out - the Queen of Egypt or something ?

Myron
Posted By: RWE Re: I should have kept that rifle. - 08/12/16
Originally Posted by speedsixman

What did they call the humungus machine that dug that out - the Queen of Egypt or something ?

Myron

If it was digging gold, I believe they just called it "woman"
Armednfre,

Is the whole Egypt valley area a high-wall mine, or just part of it ?
I have never looked around there, so don't know.

Myron

Google earth that, It's north and east of Piedmont Lake in Belmont and Harrison counties, south eastern Ohio. Looks like an alien landscape from above.

40°07'04.87" N 81°09'21.69" W

He would have been north of Egypt North Road I imagine. Yeah, the whole dang place had the crap mined out of it. Somebody told me there is a few of those they auger mined in, don't know, never saw that. I've been there once, found it all [bleep] up.
Every one I've ever sold.
Armednfree,

If it is that rugged, I fo' sho' ain't goin' there !
This geezer is to old to play billy goat.

There was a huge machine called the "Big Muskie" that dug up the old Ohio Power land in eastern OH, now called "The Wilds"

There was also a slightly smaller 'cousin' machine that I think may have excavated the area you are talking about.

Myron

You made a bad trade!!
If I recall it was called "The Gem Of Egypt". There also was one called "The Silver Spade".
Originally Posted by Armednfree
I don't know how many rounds are down that pipe, probably in the 500 region. He is still using the fitted brass I made for it. Made from Lake City 30-06 brass and neck turned. I gave him 100 rounds loaded, he may still be using that.

Regardless if you couldn't have killed as many with the 223 as he did with the 243 at the same setting, they there is a loose nut behind the butt.
Originally Posted by rost495

Regardless if you couldn't have killed as many with the 223 as he did with the 243 at the same setting, they there is a loose nut behind the butt.

Perhaps so, yet that rifle has my longest kill shot on it. 756 yards on a woodchuck. That would be tough with a 223.

Generally I use 223 from an M-4. Sometimes 22/250 just because I feel like it. Even 308 on occasion.

Why, for no other reason than I feel like it. Don't need no other reason.
Long guns I wish I had back? First AR, bought in 1983...an SP1. Second SP1 bought about '95. 1886 Winchester. 1873 Winchester, 2nd model, 44 WCF. Harrington and Richardson M-1 Garand. Marlin model 39A.
I had a .243, a Whinchester Model 70. It had a 26 inch medium weight barrel. With 40 grains of IMR 4350 and a 70 grain Nosler B/Tip it was just devasting on what ever it hit.
Originally Posted by tzone
Every one I've ever sold.

A little 1964 year model FN Browning Medallion with the prettiest wood I've ever seen in a 270 Winchester, yes I know, 270, but I miss that damn gun.

Gloss 3-9 Leupold in engraved Medallion bases and rings, it loved 150 gr Partitions and a case full of 7828. cry
Oh a few more conversation sake. A Colt King Cobra 4 inch model ( I do have a 6 inch model). A Gen 2 Glock 23. A Winchester 94 Trails End, a Ruger Vaqureo, a Sringfield parts gun M1 Garand, a Savage LE/Tactical 25-06, and an Enfield 1917.
My second Ruger 77 30-06, a "round top", accurate with beautiful wood.
Originally Posted by rost495

Perhaps so, yet that rifle has my longest kill shot on it. 756 yards on a woodchuck. That would be tough with a 223.

Generally I use 223 from an M-4. Sometimes 22/250 just because I feel like it. Even 308 on occasion.

Why, for no other reason than I feel like it. Don't need no other reason.

One of my longest deer kills was with a 223, just under 600..... I've had first round Xs at 800 and 900 with irons quite often at matches with the 223....
The VERY FIRST round I ever fired at 800 with one of my ARs was a center X...

I'd get over it if I were you. LOL. Or go buy another 243 real quick.
Originally Posted by RWE

Myron

If it was digging gold, I believe they just called it "woman"

Bet there's a story there! Maybe more than one.🤔
Kojac,

You are absolutely correct on the "Gem of Egypt", and the "Silver Spade". They were identical twins.

I didn't even know about the Silver Spade, so did some reading about them. Dipperstick type machines with slightly different buckets and arms.
Machine weight 7000 tons each.

The Big Muskie was a dragline type machine and twice the size at 14000 tons.

It is hard to fathom the enormity of those machines.

Myron
Ruger Ultralight in 223

Posted By: DW7 Re: I should have kept that rifle. - 08/13/16
People sell guns?
Originally Posted by hanco
We call them a lot in August. They come in pretty well at night.

Crack ho's?

This thread's hard to follow.
Kojac,

You are absolutely correct on the "Gem of Egypt", and the "Silver Spade". They were identical twins.

I didn't even know about the Silver Spade, so did some reading about them. Dipperstick type machines with slightly different buckets and arms.
Machine weight 7000 tons each.

The Big Muskie was a dragline type machine and twice the size at 14000 tons.

It is hard to fathom the enormity of those machines.

Myron

First one I climbed into had a desk for paperwork. a set of lockers for the operators. and a plug in percolator for coffee.

That's when I realized the 2 D-9s were just support vehicles, for smoothing the way, and moving the extension cord!

Sycamore
Armednfree, Yes!!!! Actually traded it for a Ruger Single-Six. It was a Browning Nomad, .22 semi-auto pistol,with original box and papers,bought at Steinbergs in Baton Rouge when I was around 12 or 13. Best I can remember,it was $69.00 + tax. I really loved that little pistol,but thought I needed a single action revolver!! confused memtb

I guess that I didn't see "rifle" thru the tears of regret, I only saw gun!!! grin memtb
Well, I guess I never needed a 243 when a 223 will do everything. I guess I should sell me 30-06, 308. 7x57, 284 and my 45-70 and just have a couple AR's. Simply because someone else says so.

Of course it was never about need, it is all about want. The reason I want, not something I have to explain.
GEM of Egypt was short for Giant Earth Mover of Egypt Valley. I believe the Mountaineer also worked in the area. Can't remember any being twins, I always thought the Silver Spade was top dog far as load capacity.

Was a young boy when I saw the Gem in action. Incredible machines.

Rob
The first centerfire rifle I ever purchased was a Remington 788 in 243. It was ugly, but extremely accurate. I used it mostly as my truck gun, and killed a ton of varmints with it. For some reason, back then I considered the 243 marginal for deer and only shot a few wit it....all one shot kills, for whatever that's worth. My little brothers sure liked it, as they borrowed it and killed a bunch of deer with it. I did a dumb thing and sold it, probably the worst gun deal I ever made.
I bought a Persian/Iranian Mauser cavalry model from InterArmco in Alexandria Va for $45.00 in 1964. Beautiful rifle, blued to perfection, nice wood, accurate and kicked like a mule with WWII surplus ammo. Used it to hunt with when I went to hunt with my Grand Father and Aunt in and around the Royal Gorge in Colorado.
Traded it in on an engagement ring for wife #1. Learned to trade women and keep the good rifles.

Jim
I bought a Persian/Iranian Mauser cavalry model from InterArmco in Alexandria Va for $45.00 in 1964. Beautiful rifle, blued to perfection, nice wood, accurate and kicked like a mule with WWII surplus ammo. Used it to hunt with when I went to hunt with my Grand Father and Aunt in and around the Royal Gorge in Colorado.
Traded it in on an engagement ring for wife #1. Learned to trade women and keep the good rifles.

Jim
My first center fire rifle was a 788 in 222Rem. Crazy accurate.
I bought a NIB Winchester M70 in the late 80's for $300. A local chain was clearing all calibers out for that price. My local store had a .338 Win mag and some .270s. I already had a rifle in .280 and bought on a whim. After a month I began to wonder what I would need a .338 for and let it go for what I paid for it.
I recall at the time thinking the rifle had poor metal to wood fit and crummy checkering. Not pressed checkering but crummy checkering. It must have been during Winchesters slump years.
© 24hourcampfire