Home
Posted By: hanco Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Do people up north drink Dr Pepper. Wifey says that is a southern drink???
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Drink it here in Mo.
Posted By: benchman Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
They drink Moxie. Never seen Moxie in the South! Awful stuff.
Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
And here near San Francisco.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Probably, but I bet they don't drink it warm, that's a Southern thing...
Posted By: Partsman Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Seen it up here too.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
When I drank soft drinks I had Dr Pepper sometimes. Now I don't have any desire for soft drinks.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Yes it's drank up here, awful stuff!

If you know what's good for the harmony of the human race you will tell her she was right, Yankees don't drink the stuff. grin
Posted By: byc Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Cheerwine in the South. Same thing to me but way more southern. Makes great BBQ sauce as well.

The few times I do have a soda I usually go DP over Coke and never ever MT Dew. Real Ginger Ale is a fav. Especially, with certain spirits. grin
Posted By: dawggone Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
We drink it here in WY. The best was the original recipe from TX.
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Why the hate for the Dew?
Posted By: dawggone Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Mt Dew was good back when it came in a glass bottle with the hillbilly on it. I may be dating my self here.
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Why the hate for the Dew?

No hate just not a big caffeine drinker. But then I don't even drink coffee. Any of that stuff puts me in the clouds. If I go that route it's usually a 7-UP or again a ginger ale.

Having said that GO JR!!
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
It has long been thought that Dr Pepper was the mixup of a dozen or so leftover syrups, the majority of which was black cherry. Tastes just like that. Its cloying ambiguity appeals primarily to the sweet tooth of a ten-year-old.

For a while, its competitor was the similar-tasting Mr Pibb.
Posted By: pseshooter300 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
I'm not real crazy about Dr Pepper or Mr pibb
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Drinking a warm Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper as I type this. It's drunk up here about like Coke. The best was the Dublin, but that's gone. The wife is addicted. We've got a stack of the 12 packs of green cans out in the garage. It's supposed to be real sugar.
magic flavor ingredient in DP is.......wait for it....prunes!!

Well or so the rumor goes. What do I know!?

One thing I do know is the amount of sugar in a 12 ounce can of soda is obscene. My old Dentist had a shadow box on the wall with glass jars of how much sugar was contained in various food and drink. As I recall, soda was the most at about 12 teaspoons. Juices were also bad.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Yes, we dirnk it up here. I'm just not a big Pepper fan, and I only drink diet pop. The diet version of Pepper is pretty close in taste to the real thing. I'm not real big on cherry flavored pop, but that's just me.
Posted By: Elkhunter49 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Pop ????
Originally Posted by Elkhunter49
Pop ????

Ohio!! We lifeguards at Myrtle Beach always knew which gals came from Ohio!
Posted By: Mittenman Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
We drink Dr. Pepper and call it pop here in Michigan. Your wife is probably thinking of Mr. Pibb which is rarely seen around here but seems common in the South.
Posted By: Whttail_in_MT Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
All I know is Forrest Gump had about 15 of 'em when he visited the White House. Then he had to pee...
Posted By: benchman Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Pop ????
I'm from Erie, Pa. It's pop there. The prunes explain my reaction to Dr. Pepper!
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Why does Dr. Pepper come in a bottle?

Because his wife died.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
We have Dr. Pepper up here.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Yes, we drink it in the nort land. Most folks call it pop but I prefer "soda". I was around too many easterners when I was in the military. It replaced "coke" when I was in Texas.

kwg
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
I drink maybe two sodas a year on impulse, usually quickly regretted. Dr. Pepper is often the one that gets me.

Anybody put peanuts in their Pepsi or RC Cola? That's a WV, Western MD, and PA thang, I believe.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

That's a new one on me. Must be another part of the south as everyone here in south Georgia seems to drink tea, soft drinks, and even water on ice .....even in the winter.....not that it gets very cold. The only hot drink is coffee. The idea of warm Dr. Pepper or Coke is nauseating.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I drink maybe two sodas a year on impulse, usually quickly regretted. Dr. Pepper is often the one that gets me.

Anybody put peanuts in their Pepsi or RC Cola? That's a WV, Western MD, and PA thang, I believe.
Don't remember the soda brand,but did put peanuts in a soda.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Dr. pepper is pretty common around these parts. I only drink diet soda (pop) and Diet Dr. Pepper is one of my favorites, got a bottle in the fridge right now. Dr. Pepper's headquartered in Plano TX IIRC and think they are pretty much nationwide. Someone mentioned Mr. Pibb earlier; I can't recall seeing any Mr. Pibb around here in a heckuva long time.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
i use to drink the carbonated prune juice.
Posted By: johnw Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The best version of Dr Pepper was a soda called "Worms". Haven't seen it since sometime in the 80s.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Pop ????
Of course it's pop! WTF else would you call it-and don't give me that "soda" crap!
a coke.
Posted By: Deerwhacker444 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Worked with a guy who grew up in Louisiana/Alabama, everything was a "colddrink", ran together as 1 word...
Posted By: akpls Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by hanco
I've seen it in Barrow. That's about as "north" as it gets.
Posted By: Grizzley4570 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Dublin Dr Pepper....
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
You can still find Dr Pepper around here with the Original Pure Cane Sugar recipe, from time to time. It's all I will drink, if I'm drinking DP.

It was invented in Waco, TX in 1885 by a pharmacist. Contrary to popular beleive, it contain NO Prune Juice, according to DP's web sight.

I lived on that stuff as a kid. Hardly ever drink one now, unless I go to a restaurant that doesn't have sweet iced tea. Then I order a DP.
Mostly drink water nowadays.
Posted By: EdM Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
I occasionally drink HEB's version and find it fine though well behind Fanta Orange. Dear wife and I will occasionally share one usually around 2 AM.
it had prune juice listed as an ingredient, read it on a can one time.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by stxhunter
it had prune juice listed as an ingredient, read it on a can one time.

Yep. That stuff we grew up drinking as kids had prune juice in it Roger. That was back when the original mfg plant in Dublin, TX still made it.
probably haven't had one in over 20 yrs, stuff almost rotted out my front teeth from drinking it with a straw.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
It has long been thought that Dr Pepper was the mixup of a dozen or so leftover syrups, the majority of which was black cherry. Tastes just like that. Its cloying ambiguity appeals primarily to the sweet tooth of a ten-year-old.

I didn't realize I was still 10. DP has been my preferred as long as I can recall, though it went to diet DP and now DP10 is about as good as it gets.

Wife is the same way.

RE up north... we pick up a few "cases" in Eagle River AK every fall on the way to our moose hunt...
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
According to an uncle who worked for Pepsi long ago, the popularity was you could add a lot of alcohol before "burning" it, more than other sodas. True or not? Don't know. But it will take more vodka than others to my taste.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yep. I prefer Pepsi with peanuts but coke or RC will do.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Learned to love it in northern IL as a kid. Bottle of that and a bag of Rolled Gold pretzel sticks was heaven.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Pop ????
Of course it's pop! WTF else would you call it-and don't give me that "soda" crap!

If I called it "pop" then everyone would think I was a yankee. WTF
Posted By: efw Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Yeah we drink it up here my 11 yo loves it!

When we were down where it was invented Kenjs1 hosted us at his camper and had a bunch of glass bottles of it chilled with Elijah in mind. Elijah still talks about how much he liked Ken!
Originally Posted by T LEE
Learned to love it in northern IL as a kid. Bottle of that and a bag of Rolled Gold pretzel sticks was heaven.

I agree T that was one of my favorites!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Dr Pepper was always a bit of a second fiddle in GA. But then, everything was compared to Coca Cola.

Once heard Mt Dew referred to as "Nectar of the 'Tards". Seemed fitting.

All that schist is a major factor in the obesity/diabetes epidemic and a reason southerners out weigh the rest of the country by a goodly margin. Kids down there raised on the crap.
Posted By: blanket Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
had coffee, milk, tea and water. Only had a soda when you went to town
Posted By: bubbajay Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
If you mix it with southern comfort they are both drinkable. smile
Posted By: wilkeshunter Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Suuuuuun Drop.....the down home taste that picks you uuup.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16

Terry, if you don't mind me asking, what part or northern IL?
Posted By: tzone Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
It's my #2 favorite
Posted By: hanco Re: Dr Pepper - 08/20/16
Seems like it is most everywhere. I never heard of drinking it hot. We like it ice cold. They don't have when you go to Europe or in Mexico. All they have is yucky Pepsi, but lots of people won't have anything else.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Seems like it is most everywhere. I never heard of drinking it hot. We like it ice cold. They don't have when you go to Europe or in Mexico. All they have is yucky Pepsi, but lots of people won't have anything else.
My Dad was in a Texas National Guard unit with one of the heirs to Dr. Pepper during WWII.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by bigfish9684

Terry, if you don't mind me asking, what part or northern IL?

Will county, Joliet is the county seat.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by bubbajay
If you mix it with southern comfort they are both drinkable. smile

True enough. SoCo and Mt Dew work well together as well.
Posted By: tbear Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
New to me as well. Drinking a diet DP now. Drink 3-4 per day, but also a lot of water. Frequently out of stock in Northern Virginia. At our North Carolina lake house DP is frequently stale when purchased which indicates poor sales. This is near Lake Gaston so many of the residents are retired Yankees.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by tbear
New to me as well. Drinking a diet DP now. Drink 3-4 per day, but also a lot of water. Frequently out of stock in Northern Virginia. At our North Carolina lake house DP is frequently stale when purchased which indicates poor sales. This is near Lake Gaston so many of the residents are retired Yankees.
Sorry to hear of it. Nobody retires to Kansas unless they're from here and in the early stages of Dementia, meaning they can't remember how it was when they lived here before. IOW, I can't imagine being out of Dr. Pepper or Diet Dr. Pepper. Tremendously popular drinks.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Diet Dr. Pepper is probably one of the best tasting diet pops outside those sweetened with Splenda.

Originally Posted by Grizzley4570
Dublin Dr Pepper....

What the hell is that? Dr. Pepper and Jameson's?
Posted By: RWE Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
[Linked Image]
Posted By: milespatton Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Several things to comment on. Peanuts in a coke is a country thing, not a state or region. Here every drink is a coke, even a coke. Soda or pop makes you a foreigner. I used to kinda like DR. Pepper until they thought queer dancers was the way to advertise it. Quit drinking it. Seldom drink any of it anymore, but when I do it is a coke with peanuts. Pisses me off to buy bottled water, but it is better than the city water we are hooked up to. I miss my well, but after it quit, it was not worth it financially to drill another. I need to talk to the man that drilled it, along with His father (which is now dead), to see if it could be deepened cheaply. Wife likes the well because of losing electric during bad winter weather and other storms. miles
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
a coke.
Coke is a brand, not all brands of pop.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
i haven't drank a soda of any kind for 30yrs.i don't like any of it.
Pop ????

If I called it "pop" then everyone would think I was a yankee. WTF
You should be so lucky......
Not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone remember Chocolate Soldier chocolate pop? We use to have that at home all the time when I was a kid. It was Dad's favorite, and we all liked it too. These were the refillable bottles with the deposit on them.
Posted By: agazain Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Just leave the DP out of b-b-q sauce (Stubbs).
Posted By: agazain Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
a coke.

Southern term for "pop", soda water, whatever. "What kind of coke y'all want?" "Dr. Pepper for me. cuz!" Catch up every chance you get.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16

Not in the South. A Person will ask you if you want a Coke. If you say yes, he will then ask you what kind. He is not asking Cherry, Vanilla or any of that stuff. You can answer Orange or Grape without any misunderstanding. miles
Posted By: Pugs Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Growing up in Northern IL and Central IN it was all "Coke" but that's likely due to my Texas mother and Dad from Florida who both went to school in Atlanta. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16

Coke and peanuts.....

still indulge.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Do you know why Dr Pepper comes in a bottle?

Because his wife died
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
rost, my friend, you may not be ten years old - but your taste buds are. I shudder at the thought of drinking anything as cloyingly sweet as Dr Pepper even once. Several a day? Accept the idea that you'll be diabetic.

It requires a different thread, but a discussion of what we drink and how much might be worthwhile.

I drink two to three cups of coffee in the morning. I drink unsweetened iced tea or Arnold Palmers when I want something besides cold water the rest of the day. I'll drink maybe one can of ginger ale and one can of beer a week - usually less. I have four alcoholic drinks a week (weekends and Wednesday). And I have a quart of 2% milk, mostly on cereal, each week. That's it.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Diet Dr Pepper is my drink of choice. I guess where I live is North of a lot of places, but it is South of quite a few as well.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by rost495
DP has been my preferred as long as I can recall, though it went to diet DP and now DP10 is about as good as it gets.

Agreed!
Posted By: boatboy Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Wish I could
Dont do caffeine

But I would
Hank

Posted By: FishinHank Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
I can get it up here, love the stuff
Posted By: bea175 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Coke for me when i drink soft drinks
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Dr. Pepper is about all I drink.

Now and then a Gatorade od Propel, but more DP than anything.
Posted By: Teal Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
All over the place here in Wisco. Called soda too. Don't know anyone who calls it pop.

Mr. Pibb is the cheaper alternative here as well.
Posted By: 375fan Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by benchman
They drink Moxie. Never seen Moxie in the South! Awful stuff.

Never heard of it. What is it?
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16

I don't know bout Northerners, i can stand that crap, taste like cold pancake syrup. sick
Posted By: poboy Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Which sody-water do you drink?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
DR Pepper isn't a southern drink.

Ski is a southern drink!
http://double-cola.com/products/ski/
"If your neck's red and your feet stink, Double Cola's the one to drink!"
Posted By: Grizzley4570 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Dublin Dr Pepper
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_Dr_Pepper
Posted By: rost495 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
rost, my friend, you may not be ten years old - but your taste buds are. I shudder at the thought of drinking anything as cloyingly sweet as Dr Pepper even once. Several a day? Accept the idea that you'll be diabetic.

It requires a different thread, but a discussion of what we drink and how much might be worthwhile.

I drink two to three cups of coffee in the morning. I drink unsweetened iced tea or Arnold Palmers when I want something besides cold water the rest of the day. I'll drink maybe one can of ginger ale and one can of beer a week - usually less. I have four alcoholic drinks a week (weekends and Wednesday). And I have a quart of 2% milk, mostly on cereal, each week. That's it.

Did I not mention I moved to diet and then DP 10 which neither are going to do the diabetic thing.

That along with a few quarts to a gallon of water a day keep me going. LOL.

I suspect you don't do southern sweet tea.

BTW the diabetic part will still likely come due to lineage....

I rarely ever drink alcohol.

But its always interesting to be able to see how others roll.

Hvae not had a full on DP in a LONG time... years.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Good on ya, rost. Even with artificial sweeteners, DP is still cloyingly sweet (I assume). I just don't care for sweet things so I haven't had DP since I was a kid. You are more than welcome to my share!

The diabetes comment was intended more for the others in this thread who claim to drink lots of soda/pop/coke. I should have made it a separate paragraph. Probably shouldn't have said it at all, as it seems like preaching.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Nice. I'm from Freeport and we call it "pop."
Posted By: hanco Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
We ask people if you want a coke here for sure. Then ask what kind?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Not so much. I grew up in New York State, and no one drank it. But we all took a trip down south every summer to visit relatives (my mom's side is pure Dixie), and it was a treat to see the layers of six packs of Dr. Pepper my grandmother had on the floor of her enclosed back porch, and ice cold in door of the "Frigidaire." One of the many pleasant associations I have with those days visiting family down south.
Posted By: Steve Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by benchman
Pop ????
I'm from Erie, Pa. It's pop there. The prunes explain my reaction to Dr. Pepper!

Only the non-natives here in Oregon call it anything but pop.
It's not soda. It's POP damnit!

That said used to drink hot Dr. Pepper at football games during my short stint in OK in my tweens. Can't say I've got cravings for since then.
Posted By: Longbob Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Originally Posted by Grizzley4570

This is Dr Pepper at another level. Made with real sugar and readily available in my area in cans along with bottles.
Posted By: hanco Re: Dr Pepper - 08/21/16
Nothing like Dr Pepper at the deer lease. Out of ice chest, on an empty tummy. That first swallow goes all the way down to your toes. Coke with Jack Daniels is there to for the campfire at night. Usually get one six pack of Big Red too.
© 24hourcampfire