Home
Posted By: rifletom Retiring! - 09/24/16
Finally. After too many years, Sept 29, just four and a half days. That's it! Then Sat Oct 1, going up to Idaho to do a little upland bird chasing for a couple weeks. Man, I've been looking forward to this.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congrats! Good luck. Many seem to take a little while to adjust, few regret it.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Retirement is good, I highly recommend it--
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Only 18 years left for me...right around the corner.

Congrats! Stay healthy and enjoy it, you earned it!
Posted By: dale06 Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congratulations!
Retired 4.5 years ago after 39 years at a great company.
I don't miss working, at all.
You may be a little lost for a while, but things will come together.
I have concluded that I don't have to be doing something every minute of every day.
Posted By: Virginian2 Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congratulations! You'll love it!
Posted By: memtb Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
rifletom, A heart congratulations! Just did it myself,one week two days ago!!!!!! Actually it was a layoff/retirement. I was 15 months away from retirement,so with company layoffs offered with a nice severance pkg., I took it. Been looking forward to this since 1970 - the year I graduated HS!!! grin memtb
Posted By: rifletom Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Thanks guys. memtb. I graduated in '69. Been thinking the same thing.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
I was lucky, I retired when I was 52 in 1999.. Have never missed it a bit.. My only regret is I couldn't have retired right out of high school.. Enjoy!!!!
Posted By: EdM Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congratulations. Best job I have ever had.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
What is this 'retirement' thing that you all are going on about?
Posted By: Ringman Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
It really is great for everyday to be Saturday. grin
Posted By: JimR Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
I retired about four months ago. As a friend described it..." It's like being 12 years old and every day is the first day of summer vacation with unlimited possibilities."
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congratulations!!! Enjoy it to the fullest.
Posted By: Allan S. Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
I cannot figure how I had time to work.

Allan
Posted By: EdM Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
What is this 'retirement' thing that you all are going on about?

Perhaps one we planned for many decades ago? It ain't rocket science.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Two years to go. Can't wait.
Posted By: Slidellkid Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congrats. Five years to go.

I want to bird hunt in the Fall, Duck and deer hunt in winter and fish during the summer. Planning on living in one of the northern states (probably Wisconsin or Michigan) to take advantage of moderate summer weather and good smallmouth fishing. I can't take the heat in S.C during the summers any more - they are so brutal they force a guy to pretty much stayed locked indoors for four months.
Posted By: DV_Ramrod Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
congrats! The hardest thing after retirement from experience is finding your purpose and making a difference.

Granted I was medically retired from the military at 25 years old because of OIF, 30% MEB/PEB rated and 100% VA rated.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
Congratulations Tom!

Hopefully in 3 more years I will be retiring and we can meet up at the Angeles Shooting Range on a week day smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
PM me for any retirement advice. I'm VERY good at it! laugh
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
One of the best things about retirement is the schedule!
Posted By: ShurshotOH Re: Retiring! - 09/24/16
I retired 9 years ago the first time, and ended up 4 months later going back to work for another 4 years. I haven't worked now for 5 years and I am loving it. Due to some health problems I wouldn't be able to do much in the way of work now if I wanted to (at least not what I used to do) so it is great that I don't have to anymore.

Enjoy your retirement as long as your health keeps up with you!
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
I am not old enough to retire. But I was laid off and now I am still looking for employment.

I wish you the best of luck and great health in your retirement.
Posted By: skinner Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
If you enjoy your retirement half as much as I have you'll be fine. I retired 10 years ago and the only thing I miss are paid holidays!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats!
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats to Tom and all our retirees. I'm about ten years behind you.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats! I am getting pretty close; about 2 weeks and can start my "terminal leave".... Would like to spend my Aug-Sept in Alaska from now on!
Posted By: Colo_Wolf Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Young guy next door to me asked me what I did for a living and told him a truth - open my eyes in the morning. AS a reward get to do anything I please. Retirement is good.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
We sure have a few things in common. I am not retired yet, but I am planning on it in about two years. I also graduated in 70 and I live in Winchester. We are just a few miles apart, except, I am in Virginia. Congrats on the next chapter!
Posted By: deflave Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats.

Dave
Posted By: edk Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
i retired last year. Took a real hit on my farm equipment because of low grain prices but i have not regretted quitting for one minute. Congradulations. ED K
Posted By: stomatador Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congratulations.

I've got about 9 years to go and I'll have 40 years of accumulated projects and plans that I'll be behind on when I do.
Posted By: kennyd Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
2 years, work part time to help new guys and the boss. Downside is less money and more time to spend it. I can go to the range during the week now. I do not miss the traffic which is worse now. I really like the afternoon naps.

Downside is wife is chronically disabled, so a lot of time is spent doing doctor/therapist stuff, and I have a burden (not right word, I owe my wife) of housework, shopping, and other things.

Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Enjoy yourself. First year wife and I were retired we spent 55 nights at the deer camp. Hasbeen
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
I retired for the 3rd time in April, this time it took. You will love it, congratulations.

mike r
Posted By: Fullfan Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Retirement is great, I eased into it a 49 years of age. That was 2.5 years ago. No more stress in my life, and the wife and I get along so much better now..

Good luck
Posted By: hanco Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Good for you
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Retirement doesn't depend on age, it depends on money.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16

C O N G R A T S !!!!!!!!!!!!

I retired in November '11

haven't missed working at all......

Good luck !
Posted By: memtb Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
rifletom, I failed to mention....... on the night that I should've been going to work, the wife and I celebrated(went all out) with a nice meal - Top Raman noodles and cheese sandwiches!!! Hopefully that won't be something we "have" do do for the next 30 years! grin memtb
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats!!! I retired four months ago and let me tell you,it is great!I closed that chapter of my life and opened a new one.I feel better,get a few more hours of sleep,lost a few pounds,eat better,don't feel stressed and just feel totally relaxed.Even though I've only been gone four months,it seems like four years.Time really slowed down for me.My life doesn't seem so rushed anymore.I like it,I hope you do too.Enjoy!
Posted By: rifletom Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Thanks guys. I cannot wait to get up to Idaho and get those shotgun's working. Taking my time getting there[Id]. Stopping for the night in Beaver,Utah. Then drive on in to Rigby on Sunday. Nice kick back drive.
Posted By: Whelen Nut Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats! 16 years for me and never once looked back.

Enjoy every minute of it, preferably with a gun in your hand!
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congratulations, I retired two years ago this week!
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Originally Posted by rifletom
Thanks guys. I cannot wait to get up to Idaho and get those shotgun's working. Taking my time getting there[Id]. Stopping for the night in Beaver,Utah. Then drive on in to Rigby on Sunday. Nice kick back drive.

big pawn shop in Beaver........maybe worth the stop...

be sure to buy a 'I Luv Beaver' sticker........ grin
Posted By: tjk Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
I retired 3 yrs. ago. Have never been a high bucks earner, but have watched my spending. Now find myself owning 2 houses; one in NE Wis. and the other in SW NC. Looking to sell my Wisconsin place and move to NC. Lucky for me I own both places without a mortage. Never had any idea I could buy a place in NC (or anywhere) til I looked into my savings and how to actually use them. Now am southward bound and feeling great about it. Retirement is what we spend our whole live working for. Enjoy.
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
I retired fifteen years ago....early retirement that is. I was 57 and my company offered me a package I could not turn down. All my debt had been eliminated prior to retiring.

My advice to anyone considering retirement is to get with a professional person regarding aspects of retiring that you don't understand. Follow that person's advice and adjust your life accordingly.

Endeavor to retire; you won't regret it.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Rifletom: I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I enjoy mine!
I only wish I had retired sooner.
I have been collecting my pension and taking it easy for 19 full years now (plus I started collecting social security 7 years ago)!
If I had known that retirement would be so wonderful I would have retired 3 years sooner.
Enjoy the bird Hunting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: g5m Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Congrats!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Retiring! - 09/25/16
Originally Posted by Timberlake
I retired fifteen years ago....early retirement that is. I was 57 and my company offered me a package I could not turn down. All my debt had been eliminated prior to retiring.

My advice to anyone considering retirement is to get with a professional person regarding aspects of retiring that you don't understand. Follow that person's advice and adjust your life accordingly.

Endeavor to retire; you won't regret it.

^^^^^ This is great advice!!! ^^^^^
© 24hourcampfire