Home
Posted By: kaywoodie Damn!! - 10/14/16
Bunch of grandkids got pocket knives tonight!! Woohoo!

Gramps!!! What an a-hole you are!!!

( they got the maintenance and do not take to school speech!!)

Ahhhh!! Next????? Rifles!!!
Posted By: ingwe Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Pass out the Band-aids and ointment! laugh
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good for you. Did you check with dad first?
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
i didn't see a word in there about parting with some 1895's.
my wife is kind of on me to be generous, going against the fact i am not really.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Yes! Dad was standing right there!!

Knife evening!! Oh. The went thru the safe looking at 22's. No 1895's were harmed in the making of this thread!!!

Centerfire rifles come later!

One little grandson( being a Boche) love him some Mausers!
Posted By: aalf Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Bunch of grandkids got pocket knives tonight!!
Next?????

Mumblety-peg......
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Can't wait to have grandkids to spoil. If I can manage to retire at a reasonable age and my kids do their part, I plan to spend their summers with grandpa fishing, camping, and generally messing about in the woods having the time of their lives.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
I recently reread McManus' story about the 1st pocket knife. Only an 8 year old is mature enough to handle one. A mere 7 year old just can't deal with one.
The 1st steps in ownership are:
1. sharpen it
2. whittle something
3. cut yourself (and bleed all over everything)
4. lose it (of course Mom knows NOTHING about that). After some long begging sessions, a new knife is forthcoming...and it looks JUST like the old one.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Bandaids, bandaids and more bandaids. 😀 I think both my boys cut themselves within 30 seconds of owning a pocket knife when they were little.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Cuttin' themselves is all part of the learning process.

Next is teaching them to sharpen them properly... laugh

Good Job Grampa! smile
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Bandaids, bandaids and more bandaids. 😀 I think both my boys cut themselves within 30 seconds of owning a pocket knife when they were little.

Rights of Passage. lol.

Posted By: poboy Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
When I was a kid a dang ol' pocketknife closed on
my finger. I didn't tell anybody. Some blood. I've
carried one or more ever since that day. Way to go, Bob!
Posted By: WV_Airedale Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good show!!!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
A sharp knife is a safe knife . . . A dull knife is a dangerous knife
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
I foresee some whittled sticks appearing soon.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by aalf
Next?????

Mumblety-peg......

If you ain't played mumbly peg, you ain't lived.

kwg
Whew!!! I thought I screwed up or sumptin!!!

Glad y'all concur!!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
You better hope Child Protective Services doesn't get wind of this caper......

What kind of knives.....
I'm sure you're aware that you really shouldn't play Mubbilty Peg with anything short of an old school Jack or Barlow.....
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
A good friend of mine is a Hunter Safety Instructor and active in the YHEC youth hunter program. Every year he awards a few knives as prizes. When he presents the knives he makes a little speech that goes something like this:

"This Buck knife, like you, is made in the USA. And like your education, it has a lifetime warranty.

It is going to remind you to stay sharp, because a dull knife and a dull mind are dangerous. A sharp knife and a sharp mind are valuable tools.

Also, it reminds you to be prepared. When you drop it in your pocket it reminds you to be prepared for whatever the day or the world may throw at you.

Lastly, and possibly most important, choose your friends wisely, because you will meet people who are not as sharp or prepared as yourself. And if they borrow your knife it may be the last time you see your friend or your knife again."

I gave one of my grandsons his first knife this summer and I used this speech on him. I gave him a Buck pocket knife, made in the USA.

I am sorry that the kids today can't take their knives to school. The Christmas when I was in 6th grade I got a nice little pen-knife. It went to school with me every day from then on, all through Jr. High, High School and college. I still have it, but it is one of at least a dozen pocket knives I have today. I have lost at least two knives over the years, but I never lost that one.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Cuttin' themselves is all part of the learning process.

Next is teaching them to sharpen them properly... laugh

Good Job Grampa! smile

AMEN That.
Posted By: okie Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
My grandfather told me that it cost no more to keep a sharp knife as it does a dull one. He of course was right.
Good job Bob!!!! (I"ll be whetting my knife now)
It's still nice to see that the vast majority of us here are still of the same mind!!

Gramps keeps a seegar box of old and assorted Pocket knives he has collected thru the years out in his shop in one of the gun safes. The choosing of a knife from that box is not to be taken lightly. Each knife has a story that is shared with the new recipient.

As many of you already concurred, a rite of passage. wink

Gramps keeps a pretty tight rein here when it come to some things!

wink
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Did you dull them first? grin

Moms and Dads pissed at Grandpa? grin
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Did you dull them first? grin

Moms and Dads pissed at Grandpa? grin

WHAT??????

We all country folk!!!

wink
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good job Bob!

I have no kids or grandkids, but all of my nephews got their first knifes from me.
I am of course, their favorite Uncle. cool
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Both Gramps had passed by the time I was that age. First knife Dad gave me was one of his old Case pocket knives. I was busy carving myself up within the hour. grin
Posted By: saddlering Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good on You! got to spend the weekend with my 2 year Grandson, I think Iv found someone to leave my old guns to i Hope! he love guns calls them his Pow- pows has a toy single action, life size, I showed him Mine! he wants to trade me! lol, told him when hes a bit Older!
Wants to trade!!! That's awesome!!!!
Posted By: 7mmMato Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good Job. I have carried a knife daily since I was 7 or 8 we used to be able to carry them to school. I actually get very anxious if I dont have a pocket knife on my person. One of the reasons I dont like flying. One of the first things I did when I got my luggage was to dig my knife out of the claimed baggage. My wife says I am weird but guess whom is always asked if they have a knife.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
A sharp knife is a safe knife . . . A dull knife is a dangerous knife

At age 7 he had my uncle teach me how to sharpen a knife. On several later occasions, as he squirted blood, he would raise pure hell after having to use my folder, as to why a kid my age needed such a sharp knife.

Todays the first time in my life I remember those times fondly. I still shudder at the time I had to prescribe a steroid-antibiotic ointment for his severely sliced knuckle that he refused getting sutures for.
7mmMato!

I understand. I generally have two knives on me everyday. One a fixed blade. Never can have too many knives.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
First knives, oh how that brings back memories.

Son #2: "uncle Ron, I am going deer hunting. Will you please sharpen my knife". Next day, "Here is your knife John but remember, it is really sharp". Following afternoon on Superbowl day, "Uncle George (the doctor in the family) during halftime can you please stitch me up".

Job finished neatly with somewhere around a dozen stitches.

Son #3. the tough guy: "Mom, I cut myself".
Mon, the not one to panic type, "OK I'll be there in a minute, let me finish what I am doing".
Son #3, "Mom, I really cut myself".
Mom, "I'll be there in a minute."
Son #3, "No Mom, I mean I really cut myself"!

Another trip to see Uncle George and another dozen or so stitches. They all survived.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
It's still nice to see that the vast majority of us here are still of the same mind!!

Gramps keeps a seegar box of old and assorted Pocket knives he has collected thru the years out in his shop in one of the gun safes. The choosing of a knife from that box is not to be taken lightly. Each knife has a story that is shared with the new recipient.

As many of you already concurred, a rite of passage. wink

Gramps keeps a pretty tight rein here when it come to some things!

wink

They're lucky kids to have a cool grandpa like you! I had one and miss him every day.
A n 8! Oh how I miss mine. Over 40 and 50 years ago the left me!!!
Posted By: Texczech Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Good for you. My grandfather did the same thing.

AALF I haven't heard that term since my grandpa passed 20 years ago. You brought back fond memories. Thank you both.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Dull knives are DANGEROUS! They'll slip!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Just a few!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Ok, he had taken my son and his grandson to the river bottom to teach him the finer points in the art of squirrel hunting, as if he knew anything of art or finer points of anything. Son had evidently been remiss in cleaning the chamber of his 20ga old Winchester single shot and a hull stuck. In his typical lack of care fashion he grabbed sons knife and cut a switch of cane, trimmed it down at the joints with the as usual cut toward his joint where the Old Timer stopped in bone. A little more trimming and hull expelled and a strip of hankey tied down and around and the finer points education moved on, after of course, a little hell raising about why in hell a kid his age needed a knife that sharp.
7mmMato!

I understand. I generally have two knives on me everyday. One a fixed blade. Never can have too many knives.

I always carry at least two. One's a switchblade.
Posted By: Scott F Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by 7mmMato
Good Job. I have carried a knife daily since I was 7 or 8 we used to be able to carry them to school. I actually get very anxious if I dont have a pocket knife on my person. One of the reasons I dont like flying. One of the first things I did when I got my luggage was to dig my knife out of the claimed baggage. My wife says I am weird but guess whom is always asked if they have a knife.

When I was just about to become a teen my grandfather told me a gentleman never left home without a knife, a Zippo lighter, a handkerchief for himself and a clean white handkerchief for any lady who might need one.

I am ashamed to say I ignored his advice until I became a man but from the time I graduated I have followed his advice including the Zippo I carried during all the years I did not smoke.

I cannot begin to count the number of times I have given away a clean white handkerchief to a lady who needed it. Today you will not find me anywhere without my grandfathers list on board. Since I started to enjoy cigars my Zippo has a butane insert.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
7mmMato!

You juvenile delinquent !!!! Imagine! A switchblade! laugh

You get that website I sent you earlier???

You look at them Bowie knives????
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
7mmMato!

You juvenile delinquent !!!! Imagine! A switchblade! laugh

You get that website I sent you earlier???

You look at them Bowie knives????

Yes I did. Thanks Bob! Your a BAD influence wink
Well I do what I can! wink
Posted By: CCCC Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Bob, Congrats. Been down this lane with 6 grand kids to date, and the great moments keep rolling on. The rifles are even more fun. Good for you.

I still carry the two pocket blades my PopPop gave me as a young'n - one small and one a bit bigger - they have been very handy, and the blades are now rather thin. Probably take them along in a pocket when I depart.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Very cool K Wood!!!

I got both my nephews nice knives when they turned 12. Little chits have nicer knives than me. Lol.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Thats really cool!

Posted By: Ranger_Green Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by aalf
Next?????

Mumblety-peg......

This!
Posted By: Captain Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
My first knife was a fixed blade. I remember my uncle, home on leave from the navy, holding a small clip point kinda Bowie blade about two inches long. Don't know if I found it or he did.

It was without a handle but it had a hilt and one hole drilled in the tang. I remember following him downhill to the end of the yard and up the steps to my grandfather's shop. There he cleaned up the blade and looking around produced a small brass bottle which he placed on top of the Wilton vise. A torch was lit and solder was melted into the bottle. Holding the blade with pliers, the tang was lowered into the molten lead and then allowed to cool enough to drop it in the grinder's water tray.

Uncle Jack polished the brass bottle and handed it to me. It said .300 SAV. Somehow it had a sheath as well but I don't remember that part. I wonder if Uncle Jack does? Ask me if I know what it was like to be rich. At six years old I did.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

At the age of 6 on I used my $1 weekly allowance to buy a pocketknife...every week. ( Stick around with a 6 year old and see how quick he loses stuff..) Cut myself ...every week...for quite some time..... grin
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Outstanding, Bob!

My two Grandsons already have their rifles from me. grin

I went to my Dad when I was 7 years old and asked him if I could carry a pocket knife. He told me that first I had to learn how to properly sharpen one. I immediately agreed...then came the qualifier.

I had to sharpen his personal three-blade Stockman (all three blades), it had to be sharpened to his satisfaction, no wire edge, no unevenness in the angle(s), and it had to remain as sharp as if he had sharpened it.

It took me almost a year to get it right, but I finally did and earned the right to carry my own knife. I have never been without at least on knife on me at all times, except now when I'm flying.

In that respect, I'm just like 7mmMato, I go digging in my checked bag as soon as I retrieve it from the baggage carousel and stick them in my pocket.

I have given good knives to my kids, my SIL, and most of my nieces and nephews and have taught them all how to sharpen them.

Too bad most young people today don't carry a knife and wouldn't know how to use it if they did. Their loss.

Ed
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
Really enjoyed reading this post. Have many of the same memories. Gave my DIL her first pocket knife.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Damn!! - 10/14/16
My first was a Hopalong Cassidy knife, like the one below, my dad gave me on my sixth birthday.
Boy I thought I was big stuff. I can't remember what happened to it, like ingwe said, six year olds tend to lose stuff.

Great job Gramps! They'll fondly remember you and those knives their whole lives.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire