Home
Posted By: Bigbuck215 Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
My Kahr CW45 was stolen from my vehicle in May, 2014. I'm pretty sure I know who took it but can't prove it.

So I filed a police report in the town where it was taken and also told my police officer friend, Todd, about it. December 20, same year, I get a call from Todd at about 8:30 one morning telling me that he had just recovered my gun! He and his partner had been called to a local motel to check out a disturbance that turned out to be two guys and a woman having a disagreement over some drug deal. The woman and one druggie were attempting to get away from the other one so he shot the guy from behind, hitting him in the left thigh. Todd got there right after this bit of excitement had taken place and spotted what he took to be a gun in the perp's pocket. Told him to put the gun down but idiot says he has no gun so Todd pounced him and got the gun.

The dude that got the shot never knew he had been hit until he felt some blood on his leg so Todd is taking him to the hospital and decided to run the serial of the gun. BINGO! My gun! So he quickly called me to give me the good news.

Doctor examines the guys leg, cleaned the in and out holes, put a band aid on them tells Todd that that was the cleanest gunshot wound he had ever seen. No harm done.

So Thursday I get a notice from the PD to come out and get my gun. No hassle at all so now my Kahr is happily keeping me company again, thanks to Todd and the local PD.
Glad it worked out.
Good deal.
Good deal, gdad it worked out for you. Those Kahr .45's are nice pistols. wink

I had one come back to me - a S&W M63 stolen in a burglary - but it was just the opposite of your experience. I was threatened and cussed at by the arresting detective for trying to follow its progress as evidence in a trial and had to get a court order signed by a judge to get the Miami Police to give my stolen gun back to me. Then when I finally went to pick it up some two years after it had been recovered I was forcefully and profanely "reminded" by the property room sergeant of all manner of nasty things the police could and happily would do to me if I so much as sneezed wrong while transporting it back to my car.

The kicker was that it had been used at some point to pistol whip someone and the barrel was bent up at an angle, so even with the rear sight at the lowest setting it still shot way too high.
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
My Kahr CW45 was stolen from my vehicle in May, 2014. I'm pretty sure I know who took it but can't prove it.

So I filed a police report in the town where it was taken and also told my police officer friend, Todd, about it. December 20, same year, I get a call from Todd at about 8:30 one morning telling me that he had just recovered my gun! He and his partner had been called to a local motel to check out a disturbance that turned out to be two guys and a woman having a disagreement over some drug deal. The woman and one druggie were attempting to get away from the other one so he shot the guy from behind, hitting him in the left thigh. Todd got there right after this bit of excitement had taken place and spotted what he took to be a gun in the perp's pocket. Told him to put the gun down but idiot says he has no gun so Todd pounced him and got the gun.

The dude that got the shot never knew he had been hit until he felt some blood on his leg so Todd is taking him to the hospital and decided to run the serial of the gun. BINGO! My gun! So he quickly called me to give me the good news.

Doctor examines the guys leg, cleaned the in and out holes, put a band aid on them tells Todd that that was the cleanest gunshot wound he had ever seen. No harm done.

So Thursday I get a notice from the PD to come out and get my gun. No hassle at all so now my Kahr is happily keeping me company again, thanks to Todd and the local PD.

at least it stayed in town, might have been hard to get back if they got on the freeway and lost/sold it 1000 miles away.

not like the old days, I don't keep much of value in my vehicle anymore.

a) cause I want to keep it and b) I don't want a dirt bag to have it.

It's a shame, but that's the way it is anymore.

Congrats on getting your property back.

Be interesting to find out all the places it's been since away from you.

Sycamore

Posted By: djs Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Glad you got it back. This rarely happens.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
One in a million!
Maybe someday my SR9C Ruger will come home...........
Was it the same guy you thought stole it?
Posted By: rockdoc Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Great result!

And you know it has taken down one dirtbag grin
I love a happy ending!
That is awesome Bigbuck!!

Glad you got it back! That very rarely happens nowadays.
Posted By: jpb Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Great result!

Well, more like it mildly annoyed one dirtbag... smile

Try to find out what ammo he used in your pistol -- and use something else! smile

John
Posted By: efw Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Wow that's crazy excellent news!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I love a happy ending!

+1
I had a SP101 taken a couple weeks ago...hope to get the same outcome someday.
Posted By: Ringman Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Bigbuck215,

Very glad for you, man.
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Was it the same guy you thought stole it?

No, it wasn't. I live in Billings, MT, and it was stolen in Cody, WY. I have no idea of how it got back here. Never will, I'm sure as the guy that had it wouldn't say a thing about how he ended up with it.
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by rockdoc
Great result!

Well, more like it mildly annoyed one dirtbag... smile

Try to find out what ammo he used in your pistol -- and use something else! smile

John

For sure! There was three rounds of Federal FMJ with it when I got it back so that must have been what he used. When it was taken, the mag was full of Hydra-Shoks.
For sure! There was three rounds of Federal FMJ with it when I got it back so that must have been what he used. When it was taken, the mag was full of Hydra-Shoks.

Good thing for Dirtbag #2 that Dirtbag #1 decided to change ammo. wink
Posted By: poboy Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Outside Austin here there's a gun store "Storied Firearms".
They like know the story on guns they sell. Guns like this.
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Good thing for Dirtbag #2 that Dirtbag #1 decided to change ammo. wink

Yeah. I bet a Hydra-Shok would leave a much larger exit hole.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Usually stolen firearms change hands a few times before they surface.
Originally Posted by poboy
Outside Austin here there's a gun store "Storied Firearms".
They like know the story on guns they sell. Guns like this.

Maybe I should contact them as I have no need for this one anymore.
Cool. Maybe I'll see my Dan Wesson model 15 357 again. It's been 11 years.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Brother had a Browning Double Auto stolen out of the back window gun rack of his truck once. Three or four years later he went out to go to work one morning and there if was on the seat of the truck...a little beat up but okay.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Brother had a Browning Double Auto stolen out of the back window gun rack of his truck once. Three or four years later he went out to go to work one morning and there if was on the seat of the truck...a little beat up but okay.

Guilt will do a helluva thing to a good man.
It's good that you got it back but terrible that it took 2 1/2 years to get it.
Bigbuck,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is nice to get a piece of good news for a change.

My brother's several firearms, including a nice Savage 99 in 300 Savage were stolen in about 1971. None of them have ever turned up. My brother checked with the police every couple of years for over 30 years with no results.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Someone I know got a gun back after 21 years. It came from someone he suspected all along, but LE had no reason to search the guy or his house all of those years.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/22/16
Ivan,

I am sure that is the one you were telling me about...

Glad it had a happy ending and you got your firearm returned....
Posted By: k20350 Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
A friend had a quad stolen. 11 years later we're going down a state highway and low and behold it was on the side of the highway for sale. Knew it was his cause it had been crashed so he had to put aftermarket plastic on it that didn't fit well. He had to modify the back rack a bit to make it fit. We went back to his place got his old registration and called the Sheriff. He barely wanted it back it had been beaten to almost death in that decade
Milo, I am just as surprised as anyone at how this all played out. My PO friend is one of a very small percentage of LEOs that know anything at all about firearms, I think, and he is very knowledgeable. He had entered the serial number in his computer and said as soon as he noticed that it was a .45 cal Kahr, he checked the number and was very surprised!

That was December 20th of 2014 so it stayed in their evidence room until now. 22 months but I really didn't care as I have a backup or two that filled the gap during it's absence. The dirt bag had it for about seven months and I am very surprised that it stayed in the area. I have tried to keep up with the court proceedings but haven't seen a thing about how it ended up for him.

Miracles do happen!
Originally Posted by Seafire
Ivan,

I am sure that is the one you were telling me about...

Glad it had a happy ending and you got your firearm returned....

That would be the one, John.

Did you ever hook up with Ingwe?
Damn good news BigBuck, glad you got your 45 cal Corrector back. smile
Posted By: Seafire Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
yeah he denied it for obvious reason...

but yeah I got an audience with the Campfire's Pope of Montana....

when I gave a generous donation of course...

it was a wonderful time as was our time at dinner in Billings...

every campfire member needs to get out and meet other campfire members as I had the opportunity to do...it was VERY VERY rewarding!
Funny,

According to a bunch of guys both here and elsewhere on the internet, the .45 is so powerful it only takes a single hit to put a bad guy down, and any limbs hit with it are likely toast.

That is the standard argument about why an 8 shot 1911 is so much better than a 9mm with a 15-17 round magazine.

classic!
Just goes to show that the hit has to be in or near the right place, huh.

Several years ago three dirt bags hid under tables at the gun show, thinking they were going to make a real haul and might have but the promoter had three fellows as guards. Might have worked but when the guards awakened, the gunfight got started. One DB took six 230 FMJs thru his upper torso but one that hit him in the side of the head was the one that put him down. Instead of LEO dragging him off to a nearby field, they got him all patched up and pumped six units of blood in him. His girl friend tried suing the promoter for using excessive force!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
I wonder how many stolen firearms could be recovered if dealers had an easy access to the registry of stolen firearms and actually used it? The way it is around here it could be traded in 100 times and nobody would know that it was stolen.

Posted By: deflave Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
Now that pistol has a story.

Congrats on the recovery, Ivan.

Travis
Beauty. It even got bloodied.

Congrats.
Posted By: hanco Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
Happy ending!!
Posted By: BGunn Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/23/16
We should start a "Borrow my gun, and shoot your drug dealer" program.

I'd think we'd get some killer (pardon the pun) stories for the Fire...

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by deflave
Now that pistol has a story.

Congrats on the recovery, Ivan.

Travis

Yo, Travis! I gotta give most of the credit to friend Todd and the rest to the rest of the PD. They did make me pretty happy!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Stolen gun comes back home - 10/24/16
OUTstanding news!!

I wonder if Todd's a bit nonplussed about the "cleanest gunshot wound.... no damage...." bit?

What's he usin' - ball ammo??
Originally Posted by Redneck
OUTstanding news!!

I wonder if Todd's a bit nonplussed about the "cleanest gunshot wound.... no damage...." bit?

What's he usin' - ball ammo??

As well as I remember, that may have been the case and add in that the dirt bag really didn't know he had been shot until he discovered some blood on his leg.

Ball ammo is right. Federal FMJ in either a steel or aluminum case. He still had three rounds in the pistol when Todd relieved him of it.
I'm glad you got your gun back. I had a few stolen last year and the pa state police been holding them. I wish I would get em back already. They had the trial already for the perp. What really bothers me is the police won't return my calls.
Even though I knew where my gun was, I never tried to get it back. I figured they would let me know when they were ready and that I couldn't do anything to hurry them up.

Hope you get them back soon.
I Had an ex-wife "steal" a Ruger .22 pistol from me years ago, in the middle of our divorce. After years of my urgings, my son got it back for me for Christmas last year!
Good for you!
Congradulations on getting your gun back! I had one stolen fron my home along with a JW-15 .22cal rifle, computer ,wifes gold jewelry.I told this story on another forum a few years ago, but I'll tell it again cause it'a pretty rare set of circumstances that all came together. The gun I got back was a Colt GoldCup National Match Commander Model, in stainless steel, with Custom Edition stamped on the left side of the frame, kinda rare. 10 yrs. pass and I get a call from the Volusia County Sheriffs Dept. The same deputy that came out on the call was in the Orlando PD evidence room and spotted my gun! He calls me, I have the same phone number, still at the same house, he is still with the same police department He says to call my insurance company and tell them the police have recovered my gun, and he would bring the gun to a substation in Volusia Co. so I could come there to pick up the gun! Well originally the insurance co. replaced my NM Commander Gold Cup with a National Match Gold Cup government model, because Colt wasn't making Commander models. Insurance company says it's been so long, just keep the NM gov. modedl! For 10 yrears I kept the box and paper work for a gun that was gone, just could not toss them cause it was a rare gun. So now I have my gun back complete with the original box/paperwork, and my son has a Government GoldCup National Match! Sorry for the book sized reply but I still can not believe I got my gun back...............buntingmiester
Sounds like you got your gun back in spades!

Good for you!
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Funny,

According to a bunch of guys both here and elsewhere on the internet, the .45 is so powerful it only takes a single hit to put a bad guy down, and any limbs hit with it are likely toast.

That is the standard argument about why an 8 shot 1911 is so much better than a 9mm with a 15-17 round magazine.

classic!

That gun wasn't a 1911. It would have been different if it had been a 1911. Colts are the best. If you get shot with a gun that had MIM parts, you have a much better chance of survival.
© 24hourcampfire