Home
Posted By: justin10mm Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
I picked up an old Skilsaw Model 107 at a farm auction and unfortunately it has no blade.

I was wondering if anyone knew if it would accept a standard 10 1/4" circular saw blade or if it uses an actual 10" blade?

My research has been inconclusive.

Not mine but the same model from the internet.
[Linked Image]
looks to me like a 7 1/4 inch saw.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Ha, no. This thing weighs like 30 pounds.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
7.25" is standard size. But they do make 10". I have both. Should be easy to figure which size it is.

That is a worm drive. They are heavier....
Posted By: rong Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
+ 1 on the worm drive,does look like a 7-1/4,lots o torque on those olddies
Posted By: RJY66 Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
Interesting saw. I did not know they made 10 inch or 10.25 skilsaws but google fu say they do. I would either get a 10 inch blade and call it good or take it to a tool place and ask.

No need to go to a gym after using that beast for awhile! laugh
Originally Posted by justin10mm

OK,....you ask for advice, and are now mocking those trying to provide same ?

.....get out a tape measure, stupid.
I don't think 10" blades with the diamond cutout for circular saws are very common.

I just did my best to measure and I'm pretty sure this thing takes a strait 10" blade.

Maybe I'll get a picture for a size comparison.
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by justin10mm

OK,....you ask for advice, and are now mocking those trying to provide same ?

.....get out a tape measure, stupid.

No mocking. When you see the picture you'll get the humor.
This thing has a center hole, right ?

.....you need a little stick 5.125" ( 5 1/8) long.

You figure out what to do with it, from there .

GTC
Measure from the center of the arbor to the blade guard to see if a 10 1/4 will fit in it. As long as it doesn't hit, it'll work. You're only talking a 1/8" difference in radius.
A lot of 7 1/4" saws will accept a 7 1/2 blade.
in my best crocodile dundee voice, "that ain't a saw, THIS is a saw"......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
Have you plugged it in to make sure it still runs?
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

A lot of 7 1/4" saws will accept a 7 1/2 blade.

I remove the lower guard to run 8 1/4's......
Here it is next to a regular 7 1/4" saw.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The diamond shaped arbor is the issue. I think I found one that will work. A guy in the comments says it has the option to knock out the center for a diamond arbor and should work for my saw.

https://www.amazon.com/Tools-MARATHON-Carbide-Circular-14233/dp/B0002KIEZ6

I own two old big wormdrive Skilsaws, a model 107 ten inch blade and a model 127, twelve inch blade. Like their modern descendants, the model 77 variants, they use a diamond shape arbor. It's really difficult to find that type blade in either size, especially with carbide teeth. It's not mentioned or shown in the Amazon description, but this Irwin 14233 is perfect for my model 107, 10" Skilsaw. Also, the Irwin 14070, 14074 and 14076 10" blades have the diamond center option. I'll still have to mill a diamond center into a 12" blade for my Skilsaw model 127, but the Irwin 14080 12" blade is a good starting point.

How dose that work as I've never done it before? I assume it is perforated like an electrical outlet box?

Originally Posted by muleshoe
Have you plugged it in to make sure it still runs?

All 18 amps seem to still be there. grin
I had an 8 1/4" Skil worm drive saw in the late 70's or early 80's. This one is well before that era.

As to the diamond arbor, I grind those worthless things off so I don't have to knock the diamond out of a new blade. I've never had a blade slip with a round arbor even on a table saw and I don't make them "farmer tight" or even close to it.
Posted By: Tim M Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
it takes a 10" blade, they were made in the late 50's and used mostly as a beam saw. Not sure where you find a blade with the knockout in them these days.
Marathon sells a 10". It's listed as a table saw blade but it has the diamond knockout.
Some miter and table saws have the diamond so don't search only for circular saws.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Vintage Skilsaw Question? - 11/13/16
It is a 10 inch saw.
Just find any 10" table saw blade that has the diamond.
I have an old Skil Saw that takes a 7" blade. I had to find a 7" arbor saw blade, and cut the center hole out big enough to make it work. Going from 7 to 7 1/4 doesn't as the standard doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.
I have a vintage 7 1/4 and a vintage 10.

After using either for 30 minutes or so on a framing job you will stick them on a nostalgia shelf and run to Homies to purchase a magnesium frame saw.

Been there, done that.
Originally Posted by Cabriolet

After using either for 30 minutes or so on a framing job you will stick them on a nostalgia shelf and run to Homies to purchase a magnesium frame saw.

Been there, done that.

Yeah. I put mine in the truck bed when it snows for weight to get better traction.
Originally Posted by Cabriolet

Been there, done that.

All well and good except for the fact that a new 10 1/4" wormdrive Skil costs $400 and I paid less than what 2 new blades would cost for this beast.
I have been a carpenter for 40 years. Never heard of a 10 inch circular saw.
But, it does appear that you have one. Like someone said, I wouldn't want to wrestle that Beast around for an 8 hour day.

A guy posted a pic of the 16 inch Makita circular saw. I used to have one of those.
I mostly do log building and timber framing and I thought this thing was the cat's meow when I bought it for $340, about 30 years ago. I had to cut a lot of 6 inch thick timbers and this big saw would do it with ease.
Hell of a saw. Only problem you could not get the thing to zero out and make a 90 degree cut. You could get it to about 89 degrees, then, after a few minutes, it would be at 88 degrees. Always had to adjust it and it just did not want to cut at 90 degrees.

Man that thing was a beast when you lit it up! Because of centrifugal force, if you were standing there holding the thing with it running, you could hardly turn around. It was a giant gyroscope.

I had a buddy who owned the local hardware store, he had a sort of tool museum up high on the walls with old time adzes, broad axes etc hanging up there. I donated the Makita to him and he hung it up there on the wall.
The Skil worm drives are awesome saws. They did make a 10", I have an 8" all metal saw. For a right handed person, the worm drive is the only way to go. The blade and cut is right in eyesight, not looking over the side of the saw.

Crossfire... lighten up man. Don't have to get a prick.
© 24hourcampfire