Home
I need some new waterproof hunting gloves that are thin enough to duck hunt with. By that I mean grab and clip longline decoys, operate a semi auto shotgun and be able to grab shells easily.

I'm not going to spend more than $50 for them since that's a guarantee they will get lost. I've used various gloves in the past with limited success. They're all fine until you start picking up decoys or grabbing downed birds and then the get wet. Lately I have given up and kept a couple cheap pairs of wool gloves in the blind bag and swapped out when they got wet. I see Cabelas has some of their dry-plus gloves on sale so that may be an option.

Is a waterproof thin glove out there or am I searching for a unicorn?
Let us know if you find such a thing. Best system I've found is separate glove (rubber, elbow length) for picking up decoys. As for downed birds, well I've got a helper for that and he doesn't mind getting wet. (See below.)

I got a pair at Gander Mountain a number of years ago that came pretty close and didn't cost too much, don't know if they still carry them. They were pretty cheap and outlasted by far a pretty not cheap pair of some wonder gloves I tried about that time.
best I have come up with was a pair of high cuff black rubber gloves from Ace Hardware. I stuff these into some Bass Pro camo gloves when not doing anything wet.
We normally use the elbow length rubber gloves as well. Just a pain to keep taking them on and off. All this modern technology and we can't make a flexible waterproof glove....
They are called rubber gloves. Get good ones. Chunk them as they wear out. They make good glove liners. The gloves mechanics wear are good.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Is a waterproof thin glove out there or am I searching for a unicorn?

Unicorn.

Try Mechanix under rubber gloves from the hardware store.

Travis
I used to think that a pair of thin, uninsulated Gore-tex gloves would be ideal for hunting in wet, moderately cold weather. I've tried 2 different pairs and I was very wrong. The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back on.

Go to a hardware store and look at gloves for handling chemicals. They have high cuffs, are totally water/chemical proof, and are heavy enough to last for many years. Under $20 usually.
I've used the rubber gloves from a trapping supply place. They aren't warm but dry hands warm up a lot faster than wet ones.

Why couldn't you use dishwashing gloves other than the color? They are thin and molded, could even be used inside a neoprene glove maybe?
Why couldn't you use dishwashing gloves other than the color? They are thin and molded, could even be used inside a neoprene glove maybe?
Playtex handsaver gloves are sold in every grocery store for about $2. They're heavier than most disposable gloves and have high cuffs. They're the only ones I've found that come in XL.
I carry them all the time for dressing big game. As long as I don't nick them with the knife, they're good for 2 or 3 animals. The standard color is yellow but you can find them online in pink.

[Linked Image]
I tried those gloves but went to heavier rubber gloves. Surgical type rubber gloves aren't durable enough.
Neoprene is too thick and sucks for shooting. Dish gloves provide no insulation. The best solution so far sounds like nitrile gloves under a regular pair of rag wool gloves.

The Seirus Xtreme gloves get good reviews.
Yes, cheap, throw away when you are done.
Kast gear makes good fishing gloves. https://www.kastgear.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Innovation-1...=8-1&keywords=waterproof+thin+gloves

Google be your friend. lol
Originally Posted by RickyD
Those look like they could be very useful but they don't come in XL. I haven't found L gloves yet that I can get my hands in.
I bought a pair of Sitka Gear Gore-Tex gloves at Cabela's, thin and waterproof, I think they were $129. Good luck.
Knit gloves and hand warmers are all I ever used while hunting. Decoy retrieval and I go to long, seamless trapper gloves. JME
I wear the cheap mechanics rubber gloves under regular fleece hunting gloves. Even when the fleece gets wet your hands stay warm. Works in cold weather as well as the rubber makes a good barrier and holds the heat in.
I sure would like to find a do it all duck hunting glove. Until that happens here's what I use for decoy gloves in December ice water hunts:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Weat...19029&sr=8-7&keywords=pvc+gloves

My hands do get cold pulling a lot of frozen decoys, but they stay dry. It's much easier to warm them up if they are not wet.

I wear shooting mittens for the shooting part.

405wcf
Neoprene is a good option and you could wear a thin pair of cotton or wool gloves underneath for warmth.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=neoprene+gloves&go=Submit&qs=bs&form=QBLH&scope=web

Nitrile is another good material with lots of options

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nitril...ch&qs=ds&form=QBRE&scope=web
Originally Posted by 405wcf
I sure would like to find a do it all duck hunting glove. Until that happens here's what I use for decoy gloves in December ice water hunts:

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Weat...19029&sr=8-7&keywords=pvc+gloves

My hands do get cold pulling a lot of frozen decoys, but they stay dry. It's much easier to warm them up if they are not wet.

I wear shooting mittens for the shooting part.

405wcf

Those are what I use for picking up decoys. I've often wished for a do it all glove for duck hunting but there's just no such thing. Most of the thin, waterproof gloves will end up ripped, sooner rather than later with all that's involved with launching a boat in the dark at freezing temperatures and none are worth a schitt for handling a gun. About the only way to go is something like shown for picking up decoys, another pair of work gloves for boat launching and travel, two or three pairs of warm gloves light enough to handle a shotgun (because one will get wet no matter what. Still, always have that dream of a pair of gloves I can put on when I get out of the truck to launch the boat and not have to take off or change out until I get back in the truck. Seems like in this day and age someone could come up with something.
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

The Seirus Xtreme gloves get good reviews.

i have had them for a couple years. seem waterproof but i'm not a duck hunter. but they ain't close to what i'd call "extreme". my fingers were cold the other day and it was 30 degrees. they are a very tight fit and take some work to get on but they do allow a good level of dexterity once they're on. because they are tight, when you pull them off the liner comes out and then you have to push each individual finger back in.
As most have said their is no one glove answer. There is no beast that is both trigger weight light, waterproof AND warm. Fix your mind on a two glove system.

Need a pair of gauntlet length heavy rubber or neoprene for the decoy pickup. That is the only purpose for those gloves. Separate pair of thin shooting gloves, some hand warmers and one of those muff's (or whatever their called) that you wear around your neck to put your hands in. That's the system.

I've shot ducks, or hoped to shoot ducks, in some terrible stuff. I don't like being cold. I won't tolerate being wet AND cold.
For late season, long neoprene gloves for setting and picking up decoys (I sit on them to keep them from freezing solid) and for everything else, a muff, hand warmers, and black foam nitrile coated gloves to keep the sting off.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

These work well; Orvis was making a similar one, I use them for cold weather fishing.

Fine for shooting & loading shells, probably not what you want for picking up decoys.

MM
I used a pair of those gauntlet insulated gloves for tossing out and picking up decoys for years. I took them off when in the blind and wore a pair of cabretta leather foam insulated Bob Allen shooting gloves. That was at least thirty years ago but I have never found a warmer glove for hunting than those. They could not be around water as they sucked it up.

I also have one of those hand muffs that your wear with the strap around your neck. Good place to stick a hand warmer.
Seal Skinz do the trick for what you are wanting but once your hand gets wet they are a bitch to get back on. When you are pulling blocks just put a pair of crabbers gloves over them.
Originally Posted by Strick9
Seal Skinz do the trick for what you are wanting but once your hand gets wet they are a bitch to get back on. When you are pulling blocks just put a pair of crabbers gloves over them.

I had a pair of them several years ago, but they didn't hold up to everything involved with launching a boat and getting set up, within a short time they had ripped out on the seams.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

These work well; Orvis was making a similar one, I use them for cold weather fishing.

Fine for shooting & loading shells, probably not what you want for picking up decoys.

MM

I have thought about getting a pair of these for steelheading, but they look like something that wouldn't hold up to a lot of late-season waterfowl work. At $80/pair I don't think I'd risk it.
Harbor freight carries different mil thickness nitrile gloves that might work for you.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back

Rock Chuck, with surgical/sterile gloves you can blow inside to re-expand them, not done in sterile fields of course, but it works without stuffing anything inside. Can also spin them so they close and squeeze them, fingers stretch again. Not sure if Goretex will responde the same as latex, and clearly I have no input into the OPs question grin crazy
I use these for hunting and fishing

https://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves?limit=none
Originally Posted by Sponxx
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The problem is that with damp hands, you can't take them off without the inside layer inverting as you pull your fingers out. Then you have to push them back in with a stick or something before you can put them back

Rock Chuck, with surgical/sterile gloves you can blow inside to re-expand them, not done in sterile fields of course, but it works without stuffing anything inside. Can also spin them so they close and squeeze them, fingers stretch again. Not sure if Goretex will responde the same as latex, and clearly I have no input into the OPs question grin crazy
Gore-tex gloves have the GT membrane inside. When your hands are damp, it'll stick and pull out when you take them off. Blowing in the certainly won't put it back in. I've tried every trick and the best way is to leave them at home. I have 2 pairs that aren't worth the effort.
© 24hourcampfire