Home
Posted By: kennyd puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
I got a hankering for puffed wheat. Don't see any at the stores. Clerk had never heard of it. Quaker will sell 10 boxes for $39. online, but I really don't need that many.

What happened to it?

BTW, a young workmate saw me eating shredded wheat (old big biscouts) and commented on how it looked just like shredded wheat except it was big. laugh
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
My grandmother on my dad's side used to make sweetened puffed wheat balls for Christmas. Brings back great memories.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Somewhere, we have a picture (circa 1954) of Dad and me sitting at the table. He is eating Puffed Wheat and I am eating Puffed Rice.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
grape nuts
Posted By: 5sdad Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by deerstalker
grape nuts = chunky sawdust
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Super Sugar Smacks! smile
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
If Gerber will sell it you, then they are still making it. Ask your store manager to stock it. They can't stock everything due to shelf space limits, but if you ask, they'll get it in for you.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by kennyd
I got a hankering for puffed wheat. Don't see any at the stores. Clerk had never heard of it. Quaker will sell 10 boxes for $39. online, but I really don't need that many.

What happened to it?

BTW, a young workmate saw me eating shredded wheat (old big biscouts) and commented on how it looked just like shredded wheat except it was big. laugh

The best, Prairie Maid, was moved along three years ago...

http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/2013/08/14/puffed-wheat-plants-proprietor-to-be-sold/
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thats the one!
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
grape nuts

I like grape nuts, but a little went a long way. Seemed like they multiplied in the bowl.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Puffed wheat.....sitting at my grandparents kitchen table summer evenings in the early fifties, eating a bowl of puffed wheat and listening to Yankees baseball while Gramps smoked his pipe. (Prince Albert)

Posted By: joken2 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
One of my favorite shows as a kid, Sgt Preston of the Yukon, was sponsored by Quaker Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice -- "Shot from Guns"

Posted By: Partsman Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
I've seen it at Safeway and a couple others In big bags up here
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16

Loved those when I was a kid!
Posted By: antlers Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
grape nuts

Love it, especially with some raisins added in and some fat free milk poured over it.
Posted By: g5m Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Brings back Memories!
Posted By: krp Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Loved those when I was a kid!

I ate some today.

Kent
Posted By: ridgerunner_ky Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
People drink fat free milk on purpose?
Posted By: Lockhart Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
My two adult kids and wife have all of their lives. All are tall, proportionate and have strong teeth and bones. If I have "milk" with the rare bowl of cold cereal it is soy.
Posted By: antlers Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
I toured Braum's Dairy in Tuttle, Oklahoma. They milk 10,000 cows twice a day. They have a vacuum processor that they run their fat free milk through and it concentrates the milk by removing about a third of the water from the milk, and it also has a significantly higher amount of protein, calcium, and other nutrients. And it tastes rich and creamy.
So yeah, people drink fat free milk on purpose.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by antlers
grape nuts

Love it, especially with some raisins added in and some fat free milk poured over it.

That's the only way I'll eat it. That or peaches.
Posted By: deerstalker Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
Originally Posted by 5sdad
grape nuts = chunky sawdust

grin grin
smother in orange honey they were pretty good.
another cereal i liked was Ruskets
Posted By: Allen917 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
We were Post Cereal at my home growing up. I ate Post Super Sugar Crisps / Golden Crisps. My Dad ate Grape Nuts, usually for supper. Most be good for you, he made it to 99 years of age in relatively good health.

Super Sugar Crisps and Sugar Bear fell out of grace when a democrat named Ira Shannon took it upon himself to "Save the Children" from sugar.

Malt-O-Meal makes a good imitation of Super Sugar Crisps. Comes in big cheap bags.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
I like corn pops sometimes.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
I recently discovered Grape nut FLAKES. Now theres a cereal.
Posted By: joken2 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16

Quaker Puffed Wheat and Puffed Rice highly coveted cereal prize cannon ring. Shot grains of puffed wheat or puffed rice cereal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lockhart Re: puffed wheat? - 12/03/16
I haven't done that since childhood but I remember fresh peach slices on my corn flakes.
Posted By: rost495 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Have for years, since the 70s or 80s when Dad had his first heart attack, have continued on, since we are used to the taste.

Kind of like diet soda... get used to it and the regular stuff is to strong.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: puffed wheat? - 12/04/16
I couldn't ever get properly fueled for a day of work on puffed air and sugar. grin
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: puffed wheat? - 12/04/16
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I like corn pops sometimes.
All the years I was growing up, they were Sugar Corn Pops. They had a song about them being 'shot with sugar through and through'. Then everyone switched to real nutrition. Kelloggs didn't change the cereal but they dropped the 'sugar' from the name and got rid of that song. They're still full of sugar but now they're 'part of a nutritious breakfast'. Yeah, right.
Posted By: buddy Re: puffed wheat? - 12/04/16
I ate puffed wheat for years even had one of those rings, Them and shredded wheat always had deals for kids. I think the only kind you can get now is the is the sugar coated in bags.
© 24hourcampfire