Home
Went on the Simms website to purchase a gift certificate as a going away gift for a co-worker. Did not find any gift certificates, emailed Simms, they let me know they don't currently offer those, but "are working on that for the future." Really, with that website no one thought to throw on something as simple as a gift certificate? So, that's $500 I won't be spending with Simms.

Any similar brands I should look at? Hopefully a brand that has waders, jackets, etc., and gift certificates.

Would appreciate any suggestions.
Orvis
Patagonia. Look at their salt jacket for a bomber fishing jacket for your coworker.
Filson sells all that stupid schit fly fishermen like.

Clark
Perfect, thanks guys!
Sadly, those high end folks have markups that rival jewelry stores. I'd be happier with maybe a Cabela's card. When it comes to rods, I buy the components and assemble my own gear for about 30% of retail costs.

Simms does make good stuff. Back in their early days I went for a custom set of neoprene waders. Got about a dozen years our them with some minor repairs. For sure can't do that with today's fabric stuff.

One could try any number of fly shops. I suspect most have some form of certificate.
Never heard of Simms,but when I think of high end fly fishing gear I think of Orvis (as has already been mentioned.)
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sadly, those high end folks have markups that rival jewelry stores. I'd be happier with maybe a Cabela's card. When it comes to rods, I buy the components and assemble my own gear for about 30% of retail costs.

I would agree. A card for Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Sportsmans Warehouse would be my pick, then you're not limited to one brand.
Cabelas carries Simms and I know that Simms requires the retailer to offer the same price as Simms sells online, with some exceptions. Like a lot of higher end fishing stuff i.e. GLoomis, Sage and Lamiglass price fixing is normal.
I have bought most of my custom made bamboo fly rods on ebay. Here is a link to an ebay gift card.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/eBay-Gift-Card-15-to-100-Email-Delivery-/251669833365
Simms is head and shoulders above the competition when the it comes waders and customer service. I've had the same pair for over twelve years of very hard use without a leak. I once bulled through a huge stand of thornbrush when my first pair was brand new and I put a number of pinpricks in it.

I contacted the company and they told me to send them back for repairs. They overnighted me anther set so I would have something to use while the original pair was being repaired. When they sent the originals back to me they let me keep the replacements.

Prior to Simms, I was buying a new set of waders every year or two because no other brand would last me an entire season. I am very hard on waders. I'll never buy another brand (may not need to anyway as tough as these are) they have a loyal customer for life with me.

They may be expensive at the outset but when you break down the price on an annual basis, they are actually cheaper than less expensive brands that have to be replaced more often.
Simms makes good stuff, although it is overpriced, IMO. If you think the person would be very happy with Simms gear, my suggestion would be to buy a gift certificate from a local fly shop that carries an extensive selection of Simms products.

In my experience, many local shops will have decent clearance sales around the holidays, and so the value of your gift certificate could go farther than if the recipient was buying from Simms online at full retail price.
You might consider inquiring at one of the better rod builders, like Sage, Winston, etc.

Or post your question at theflyfishingforum.
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2714967
Simms is head and shoulders above Orvis. Patagonia has good stuff.

I would suggest a gift certificate to a good local fly shop or and on-line fly fishing dealer such as Feather-Craft. Feather-Craft is a dealer located in St. Louis and they carry all of the best brand names, be it waders, fly rods or any other fishing needs. I do a lot of business with Feather-Craft.

Like mentioned buy the gift certificate from a local fly shop that carries Simms. They'll special order direct from Simms anything that isn't stocked. The idea of supporting local tackle shops is a bonus.
Originally Posted by deflave
Filson sells all that stupid schit fly fishermen like.

Clark

Hey, watch yer d*mn mouth
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Patagonia. Look at their salt jacket for a bomber fishing jacket for your coworker.

Evan Chouinard owns Patagonia and directly funds Earth First and other similar environmental terrorist organizations, don't support that [bleep].
I'm sure I'll pizz off the fly fishing snobs here, but no freakin' way am I going to Orvis and spending more on a fly rod that I spent on my last car. I know there's a legitimate reason eveyone needs a thousand dollar fly rod.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I'm sure I'll pizz off the fly fishing snobs here, but no freakin' way am I going to Orvis and spending more on a fly rod that I spent on my last car. I know there's a legitimate reason eveyone needs a thousand dollar fly rod.

Doesn't pizz me off, but I'm more of a St Croix guy..but I don't get the impression was to give the (I assume) avid flyfisher co-worker an Ugly Stik and a handful of Panther Martins as a going away give; that's what they'd do at my office.

Anyhow, Simm's Certainly does make some good stuff, Sage, Loomis, St Croix, Orvis, all top notch. I think Cabela's carries a bunch of it. Other online stores like feather craft might be worth a check as well.

I think it's a great idea to let the co-worker choose his own purchase with a gift card to a place that has a lot of selection. Picking the just right thing for a dedicated flyfisher can be difficult at best. No doubt there is something he would love though...and would it even be a pair of waders or rod. There are tying vises that could burn a hole in that card all by themselves.
Evan Chouinard owns Patagonia and directly funds Earth First and other similar environmental terrorist organizations, don't support that [bleep].

Well, there does seem to be a an abundance of tree huggers in the community... cool
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Went on the Simms website to purchase a gift certificate as a going away gift for a co-worker. Did not find any gift certificates, emailed Simms, they let me know they don't currently offer those, but "are working on that for the future." Really, with that website no one thought to throw on something as simple as a gift certificate? So, that's $500 I won't be spending with Simms.

Any similar brands I should look at? Hopefully a brand that has waders, jackets, etc., and gift certificates.

Simms is set up to sell through specialty shops. Their internet sales are starting to create waves among their retailers.

Places like Cabela's with schitty house branded stuff use Simm's to get people through the door and then switch them to their garbage. They have a very small selections of sizes and models.

As others said, a gift card to a fly shop is the best way to go.
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting. I'm losing track.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Orvis

Orvis is over-priced, out-dated gear designed for old fat men that really cannot cast and do not spend much time doing it...

wink just my .02 worth.
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Orvis

Orvis is over-priced, out-dated gear designed for old fat men that really cannot cast and do not spend much time doing it...

wink just my .02 worth.

Better get me an Orvis catalog!
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Orvis

wink just my .02 worth.

LOL, I too am beginning to resemble that remark.
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Orvis

wink just my .02 worth.

LOL, I too am beginning to resemble that remark.

I have an Orvis reel.... frown
After two pages of the usual, may I make a suggestion?

Order an Orvis Helios 2 5-wt fly rod with a fast tip. It may be the finest dry fly rod on the planet (I have one and can attest to that) and it's something he'll treasure forever.

Order an Orvis Helios 2 5-wt fly rod with a fast tip. It may be the finest dry fly rod on the planet (I have one and can attest to that) and it's something he'll treasure forever.

How do you know the co-worker is a fat old man that can't cast though?
Try Sierra Trading Post
Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting.

Yep. a tough deal. If I had to avoid everyone that I have a difference of opinion with, there'd be few around I could even talk with. Agree to disagree and get on with life.

Have about 18 fly rods and got 1 more at my retirement event. A wonderful gift by the way as it was built by a coworker.
http://www.mrfc.com/clearance/

This place has best service and prices

I wait til end of year to pick up on closeout

Much better than cabelas

As at least one other suggested, try contacting a local shop for a gift certificate where the lucky recipient can can choose from a wide variety of stuff. Simms is excellent FWIW.
Originally Posted by Pugs

As at least one other suggested, try contacting a local shop for a gift certificate where the lucky recipient can can choose from a wide variety of stuff. Simms is excellent FWIW.

Pretty much said the same. Given what the OP said I'd shy from buying the actual item and stick with 'some' type of card. Lots of advice on here, none wrong (mostly). But short of asking the guy, "do you want a 5wgt rod?", and spoiling what might be a really nice sendoff surprise you could pick wrong. But choosing the right card consider if:

1) Local nice flyshop if guy is retiring and you have a local nice flyshop...not 250 miles away.
2) guy is not boarding a plane to take a new job 2500 miles away 3 days after being given card for awesome local flyshop.

Either of those answers fail and pick something that can accommodate EASY online or local shopping where he is relocating. Just my less than .02.
Why not get him a visa gift card with a nice note telling him to enjoy shopping on the Simms website?
Originally Posted by Bull_Elk
Why not get him a visa gift card with a nice note telling him to enjoy shopping on the Simms website?

Nothing says we know you like a generic $500 visa card...hell that's what I give my tenants when they threaten to sue and I know they 'could' be right.

It's very important that an outgoing employee be appreciated without having any chance to waste his appreciation on anything like moving expenses, a new pistol, or hookers...hence only two choices, cabelas gift card....or......COMPANY LOGO ENGRAVED, GOLD look, watch!!!! Tahhdahhh.
Really do appreciate all the input. Like the local fly shop idea a lot, but he's leaving by year end and moving to New Jersey. Easy target for comments here, but I'll keep going.

We had already planned to get our group together with our spouses for dinner tomorrow night as our holiday gathering, so thought we'd better take the opportunity to also make it a going away recognition. Have ordered roses for his spouse, and want to be able to give him something from the 5 of us left in the group tomorrow night.

So, even though he's not an old, fat guy 😬 and damn skilled with a fly rod, I got an Orvis gift certificate. They sent it to me within 2 hours, I printed it off and will put it in a card for us to sign. I agree some of their items seem overpriced, but I think he'll appreciate it and will hopefully pick something up that he wouldn't have bought for himself otherwise.

He's a damn fine man and a good friend. Really happy for him, it's a hell of an opportunity, but we're sure going to miss him.
Orvis gift certificate

He will like that very much.
He won't be dissapointed, will be able to use it and will remember the gift...see now finding out he's moving to Jersey changes everything. Might be he goes for a 9 wght to cast for stripers in the surf and a 5 wght would be useless as a tit on a bull.
Pretty sure you can get a gift certificate from Madison River Fishing Company, they carry all that a fly fisherman needs.

Good closeout deals too, if your friend is in to that.

He can use the gift card in person in Ennis for a guided trip on the Upper Madison, or online for Simms waders.

Filson
Originally Posted by 1minute
Someone needs to make a list of everything we're supposed to be boycotting.

Yep. a tough deal. If I had to avoid everyone that I have a difference of opinion with, there'd be few around I could even talk with. Agree to disagree and get on with life.

Have about 18 fly rods and got 1 more at my retirement event. A wonderful gift by the way as it was built by a coworker.
Now that's cool. If someone I knew had the talents to make something like that, I'd much rather have that gift.
So, even though he's not an old, fat guy 😬 and damn skilled with a fly rod, I got an Orvis gift certificate. They sent it to me within 2 hours, I printed it off and will put it in a card for us to sign. I agree some of their items seem overpriced, but I think he'll appreciate it and will hopefully pick something up that he wouldn't have bought for himself otherwise.

He'll be very happy with that I'm sure. Orvis sales are pretty good and bring their stuff down to normal levels. It's also nice stuff. I wear an Orvis vest I bought more than 30 years ago, a little worn but likely more than 1000 days on the water I'm sure and still works great.
Your friend is lucky to have pals like you. You just can't go wrong with a gift certificate because then he can get precisely what he wants with it.

I'm very picky when it comes to fly fishing or hunting gear. I can't tell you how many times I've been in on buying a gift for someone where some people thought it was the greatest thing ever but that I hated or vice versa. When you gift a specific item you never really know how it will be received.. Gift certificates take that uncertainty out of the equation.

I personally like Orvis vests and some of their reels but hate their rods. Asking for opinions on Fly gear is sort of like asking for one's opinion on women. Some like blonds, some like brunettes, and others like red heads. It's all very personal. . .
If you're interested in fly rods Sage would be a good place to start. G. Loomis, Hardy and Winston are good too. High end fly rods mostly run about $700-$800. That seems like a lot but how many of us have spent more than that on rifles? Reels are not as crucial unless you're fishing salt water.
Originally Posted by bowmanh
If you're interested in fly rods Sage would be a good place to start. G. Loomis, Hardy and Winston are good too. High end fly rods mostly run about $700-$800. That seems like a lot but how many of us have spent more than that on rifles? Reels are not as crucial unless you're fishing salt water.

Price isn't the greatest factor in finding a fly rod that works for you. The number of great rods that are out there today are mind boggling. Get out and cast them and see. FWIW, I have a 4 weight Orvis Helios 2 that makes me a much better caster than I am. They're up in that $800 range but if you know what you want and don't mind not having the free warranty replacement if you break, then call the Orvis Outlet store in Manchester and they are available for around $500.

I have a 30 year old Sage 4 piece six weight that was $100 and still love it. I also have an old Powell 8 weight that's my heavy Salt Water rod and Salmon rod. A lot softer than more modern but it lays out the line well. I need to get up to Erie and fish Steelhead sometime.
Really do appreciate all the input. Like the local fly shop idea a lot, but he's leaving by year end and moving to New Jersey. Easy target for comments here, but I'll keep going.

We had already planned to get our group together with our spouses for dinner tomorrow night as our holiday gathering, so thought we'd better take the opportunity to also make it a going away recognition. Have ordered roses for his spouse, and want to be able to give him something from the 5 of us left in the group tomorrow night.

He's a damn fine man and a good friend. Really happy for him, it's a hell of an opportunity, but we're sure going to miss him.

Plus Orvis has a local store in Leawood, on 119th and a couple stores in NJ.
High end? Winston, Thomas & Thomas or Abel. Or better yet a gift certificate to The Fly Shop.

Bob
Holy Crap! I just throw it out there and hope they bite.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Holy Crap! I just throw it out there and hope they bite.

I heard you were quite the ladies man. wink grin
© 24hourcampfire