Home
I still remember the first time I asked some of the old Cartridge guys about WSM's and was told ABC cartridges are a fad. Less than a decade later the 300 and 7-300 were winning 1000 yard bench rest.

But I digress...

3 new cartridge over the last decade have performance that is really hard to touch.
NOW - a lot of this has to do with the bullets available for them but
If you haven't tried these you should at least read on a bit IMO.

204 Ruger -
Accurate, fast, no recoil - just a pleasure to shoot and man do they perform.

260 Rem
No kick, flat shooter, smokes whitetails.

6.8 SPC - in AR platforms.
is now stacking them up, ~2700 fps with a 95 grain TSX wow...

Glad I didn't believe the "we don't need any new cartridges" old guys.

Just say'n.
Spotshooter: I whole heartedly agree with you on both the 204 Ruger (sensational!) and the 260 Remington (superb!) but my list of well performing cartridges would also include a pair of amazing performing rimfire, recent additions - the 17 HMR and the 17 Mach2.
They are both amazingly accurate and amazingly lethal on appropriate sized Varmints and small game.
Interesting topic I will read the other posts herein.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Good catch...

I completely forgot about those 2 - I love my 17 HMR, and HM2.

I guess that makes 5.
The 300 Blackout should hit the list and another one to watch based on the 5.56 case will be the 277 Wolverine...
17 HMR is uber
6.5 Creedmoor
I can't wait to get a .17 Hornet.

Gunsmith is putting together a 22x6.8 for me too.

Still would like a .204

I have been very pleased with my 260, sounds like the 6.5 Creedmoor is doing very well too.
Curious about the 26 Nosler and the 6.5-300 Weatherby? Those should seriously reach out.
.17 Fireball sounds like a dandy, and the .17 Hornet too.
6.5 Creedmoor
There's lots of good ones out there. And many new good ones. I don't get the grumps who insist their choice is the only good one or that a "classic" holds some magic quality. They just have to be right. There is no wrong nor right, just other choices. 30-06 or 270? How about a 284 instead?
It's a hobby so whatever floats YOUR boat is cool.
I didn't marry a redhead and don't drive a Ford. So what? That doesn't make you wrong for doing it. Just different tastes and choices. We still both appreciate women and trucks, right?
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
6.5 Creedmoor

X3
How will these improve over the 'old' cartridges I have already?

Jim
You forgot the 250-3000.

Fast enough, little recoil, kills better than it should. Oh wait, em my bad.
absolutely nothing wrong with a 7x57 Mauser. Still. After all these years. With the latest powders and bullets, it will go head to toe with anything in it's class.
+1 on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Interested to see how the 6mm Creedmoor will fair to the hunting crowd.
Another 6.5 Creedmoor fan, I have a Browning Long Range Hunter that shoots 1/4" groups and I'm not that good a bench shooter!
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
... There is no wrong nor right, just other choices. 30-06 or 270? How about a 284 instead? It's a hobby so whatever floats YOUR boat is cool? ...

This is where I am at. Still playing with .270 and .243. Just got my first 6.5x55 last year. Just bought my first black rifle this year... Might get around to playing with the "cool new" cartridges from this decade before I die. If not, still have plenty of capable options to punch paper and punch tags...
204 Ruger, what an improvement. It will shoot the same weight of bullet a 222 mag will, but slower.

260 could still be improved by necking it down to .257. Oh wait, what about a 257 Roberts?

AR platforms were designed for so many cartridges, we haven't yet seen the beginning.
The 300 Norma looks interesting

CheyTac .408/.375
6.5 creed, 6.5 Nosler
© 24hourcampfire