Home
Posted By: krp Tonto Arizona gathering 2017... - 12/29/16
Dates for this year are Feb 10th - 12th. Most of us get there friday and leave sunday morning. Main shoot is saturday, otherwise folks shoot whenever they get a hanker'n. Food supplied friday evening till sunday morning. The same spot as the last two years. I'll put up maps and we'll get into other details as the thread progresses.

Main thing now is the dates are set so start planning.

Kent
ttt
I should be showing my smiling face once again...

PM me for suggestions of what I can contribute or bring...
Dang, I'm going to miss this one as we will be in South America.
Hope to make it. We shall see. miles
😊
Hope I can make this one, but have a business trip that could interfere. Put me in the 'maybe' category.
ttt
so, so far I'm the only out of town guy coming????

maybe I'll win a shooting match if its just me participating!!! WooHoo!
Heck, you'll likely win even if I show up and participate...talk about RUSTY!
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
You're supposed to say "I let Seafire win,cause he's old and I would have felt bad about kicking his azz." wink grin

What's the location for this one? I may actually be in town this year for a change.
Hope you can make it again... it's dead west of Punkin Center, about 1.5 miles of dirt road, good enough I get my fifth wheel into.

Kent
Do you take new guys? I'm only 14 hours away.
You have to submit an application, blood test and financial report... or show up...

Kent
Last year for first timers we had EdM, niffty two fifty and probably some more but I'm old and cant remember.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
You have to submit an application, blood test and financial report... or show up...

Kent

Great! Is there a password? "Leopard" "Thong"?
Yup,there is a password.
me and 300 of my closest friends will be shooting 1000yds at Ben Avery that weekend
http://www.bergerbullets.com/swn/

Poole
"The Three Hundred" are a little out of my league!
Lord willing, I will be there.

Ivan
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Ivan

Looking forward to it amigo.

Kent
Camp on site? Are we allowed to burn firewood? My google fu is weak.
Originally Posted by Ranger_Green

this is basically up a dirt road and a patch in the desert, no issues in the past with fireholes/etc. I don't think there would be any fire restrictions at that time of year.
you find a spot of desert to pitch tent, park trailer, whatever. No fees, no organized campground.
Yes camp on site where we shoot, firewood all over, there are a couple hotels close and some folks do that. I'll find my google images and post them.

Kent
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Outstanding info Gentlemen. Thank you for posting. I am looking forward to this.
Originally Posted by krp
Hope you can make it again... it's dead west of Punkin Center, about 1.5 miles of dirt road, good enough I get my fifth wheel into.

Kent

Thanks Kent. I'll see how it goes. Funny, I wasn't all that far from there today, took a drive and came back down 87 from Payson.

Ivan
Be great to sit around another campfire with you! Looking forward to it.
Originally Posted by Bill Poole
me and 300 of my closest friends will be shooting 1000yds at Ben Avery that weekend
http://www.bergerbullets.com/swn/

Poole

They have a clay shoot the 11th for the FFA out there that I was going to try to attend, but I think I will pass on it. Michael has had way too much fun hanging out and shooting with everyone in Pumpkin Center. He was also last years winner in the one shot competition. grin I think he is hoping for a repeat.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Yup,there is a password.

The password is secret. laugh Are you and Frank going to make it this year? I might need to up my supply of shotgun shells. I will bring my slinger again. I have way too much fun with the shotguns. grin
Judy is in charge of the password... Ken is only the messenger...

Kent
tag
I am planning to be there again this time. I am glad Ranger is coming so I won't be the only one from California.

I am especially looking forward to seeing the great group that was there last year, plus a few more new friends.

Ivan (Bigbuck215), I especially hope you can make it. You deserve to have some more fun after the tough year you have had.
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
You're supposed to say "I let Seafire win,cause he's old and I would have felt bad about kicking his azz." wink grin

keep talking like that, and your wife will be happy for you to make it to my age.... grin
Do you take new guys? I'm only 14 hours away.

That's a boat load closer than I am!
Originally Posted by RoadRunner65
Yup,there is a password.

The password is secret. laugh Are you and Frank going to make it this year? I might need to up my supply of shotgun shells. I will bring my slinger again. I have way too much fun with the shotguns. grin
Not going to make it this year. frown

We are planning on going to Armijio Springs in July though.
Yup,there is a password.

Not going to make it this year. frown

We are planning on going to Armijio Springs in July though.
Bummer! Guess we'll see you guys up north this summer... frown
Elkhunternm,

Ken,you will be missed. I was looking forward to your impressive demonstration of lightning-quick and accurate big-bore rifle shooting!

I sent Rick a PM asking him to make this thread a sticky. Hopefully he will see it and act on it.
blush

You fellas have fun and keep Kent in line. grin
I see how it is... fair warning for Quemado, if you see Ken in the food line, don't be just before or next in line... I don't guarantee against overspray when I spit on his food.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
I see how it is... fair warning for Quemado, if you see Ken in the food line, don't be just before or next in line... I don't guarantee against overspray when I spit on his food.

Kent
Ahh...Then I should go first in the food line. grin
Last...

Kent
Figures. laugh
Those that are worried about bringing anything, don't worry about it. Last year Kent and I supplied most stuff and he just collected enough $ to cover it. Easier this way.

Camp on site, shoot on site (not on sight eek)

Yes, we will burn wood, mostly mesquite that we scrounge from the trees in the area.

Go. Kent's food alone is worth the trip. I went for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the trip.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Those that are worried about bringing anything, don't worry about it. Last year Kent and I supplied most stuff and he just collected enough $ to cover it. Easier this way.

Sounds good, just let me know how much I need to chip in.

Ken, sorry you and the family wont make it this year, you will be missed.

Hope to see the usual ugly mugs and some new ones this year. grin

I don't want to discourage folks from bringing something to share, but the main food we supply or I end up with too much of this and not enough of that. Its much easier if I get all the main food myself and I am set. Special dish, dessert, alcohol, are obviously welcome and encouraged. Bring drinks and snacks for yourself and a coffee mug. We usually have lots of soda and water bottles brought by locals in case and the store is not far away if we need something.

Kent

That's good to know and would be easier. If I pull this off I may have to combo it with a work trip the week prior. I still plan on ditching the work car and driving the truck with overhead camper in it. I'd really like to make this one work.
ttt
Originally Posted by Seafire
so, so far I'm the only out of town guy coming????

maybe I'll win a shooting match if its just me participating!!! WooHoo!

Watch this space. I'll bet a few more are already thinking about it! grin
We've had some long travelers in the past, I always hope it was worth it for them.

Kent
I'll be up Friday evening. Probably need to leave Saturday night. Hoping I can get the time off from work.

Kent, since Dennis and I are very close, please let me know what I can assist you with. Also, I have two new to me green stoves with 3 burners on the... just had to try them since they've worked well for you.

Anyway, let me know. I'll also try to bring 2 tables for those that need to sit to eat.

Jeff.
Sounds good Jeff.

Kent
I'm thinking mex food, machaca dutch oven enchiladas and elk tacos friday night. Steak and fish saturday night... any thoughts?

Kent
Do you want me to bring some green chile breakfast burritos?
Absolutely! Probably be around 25 folks.

Kent
I'm gonna try really hard to make it.....

sooooo....what are the shooting activities ?
Originally Posted by GregW

That would be great.

Kent
a to me funny memory from last year i think:
couple of guys sighting in this scoped rifle high velocity, low drag at probably over 200 yards.
a fellow attendee pulls out a remington pump carbine in .30remington, opens up and nails the target first shot with iron sights.
don't underestimate old fahrts with old weapons.
Originally Posted by tikkanut

sooooo....what are the shooting activities ?

Dennis runs the shoots, but it is friendly competition, usually cold bore prairie dog, dangerous game follow up big bore, rimfire and others, Dennis will chime in. Lots of fun and different guns and loaning back/forth.

Kent
Lots of guys have been beat by their own gun shot by someone else...

Kent
Darby is bring chili again and also some antelope meat, we may be having lope tacos or some other configuration.

Kent
I haven't decided exactly what we will do, but for sure a Prairie dog shoot and a rimfire shoot at 150 yards again.

A little change to the format this year will be that a gun can only be used one time in a match except for the dangerous game if we have that. You can loan a rifle but then you cannot use it for that same match. It's not fair to the guys shooting a cold (unknown wind )shot when someone else can shoot a rifle and then the next guy can see exactly where it shot and make adjustments.
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by GregW

That would be great.

Kent

February is bee season prep month is my only hiccup, that and just stuff happening....
Last year's shoots were a blast.
Originally Posted by EdM
Last year's shoots were a blast.

Got that right!
Are we going to do a close range rim fire steel sight shoot again ?

25 yards - 5 shots - at least one bullet must hit the center, and then the person with the tightest group?

Same as Armijo Springs last summer ?
Sounds like fun
I was telling my wife how grateful she must feel married to me...

[Linked Image]
TFF
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]

are you sure that look on Cheryl's face wasn't right after you told her Seafire was coming again?....

but his wife couldn't make it???

Last year at Quemado, the girls all sure got along real well... sitting at a picnic table, drinking wine and complaining about their husbands to each other...
And egging Kaywoodie on telling stories... he's a damn chick magnet.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

[Linked Image]
Most likely,you "cut the cheese" and she was on the receiving end. wink

I've seen that look on Judy's face when I done the same thing. whistle
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

hey you outta see them when Bob is schittfaced, they are schittfaced... and pretty much everyone has gone to bed...

Bob could recite the Austin phone book, with one of those French accent things he does, and they would be all goo goo eyed...
It's not fair to the guys shooting a cold (unknown wind )shot

What is your definition of a "cold bore"?
Cold bore. Usually no warm-up starting 15 or 20 minutes before the shoot. When it's your turn, you get to fire one shot at the given target.
Cheryl is a lovely lady - looks like she just tasted one of Kent's antelope tacos.
It's not fair to the guys shooting a cold (unknown wind )shot

What is your definition of a "cold bore"?

That means you get your rifle that you have previously sighted in and take one shot with no opportunity to take test shot to gauge the wind etc.
Deflave will not be attending this yrs event... He said maybe next yr
Originally Posted by 79S
Deflave will not be attending this yrs event... He said maybe next yr

Which one?

New applicants require a vetting process through the committee... bribes are encouraged, actually required.

If you are having your people contacting my people... additional processing bribes are required.

No group applications.

Kent

Get Him and Paladin at the same time, about half lit, and you will laugh until your ribs hurt. Saw that at Ed's one night, just a few of us still up. miles
- - - A little change - - a gun can only be used one time in a match except for the dangerous game - -. You can loan a rifle but then you cannot use it for that same match. It's not fair to the guys shooting a cold (unknown wind )shot when someone else can shoot a rifle and then the next guy can see exactly where it shot and make adjustments.

We do enjoy plenty of informal shooting and sharing of firearms and, yes, the competitive shoots are friendly and great fun. But we do try to compete on fair terms and Dennis is on the mark with this change. I would add that the shooter should go to the line/bench alone to do his/her setup and shot, with neither assistance nor interference (including wisecracks about my lousy eyesight when I'm trying to find stuff, and envious snarks about Darby's nice stuff.).
Oh, and one more rule for Darby, he has to use old, ugly, rusty guns this year!! grin
Originally Posted by CCCC
- - - A little change - - a gun can only be used one time in a match except for the dangerous game - -. You can loan a rifle but then you cannot use it for that same match. It's not fair to the guys shooting a cold (unknown wind )shot when someone else can shoot a rifle and then the next guy can see exactly where it shot and make adjustments.

We do enjoy plenty of informal shooting and sharing of firearms and, yes, the competitive shoots are friendly and great fun. But we do try to compete on fair terms and Dennis is on the mark with this change. I would add that the shooter should go to the line/bench alone to do his/her setup and shot, with neither assistance nor interference (including wisecracks about my lousy eyesight when I'm trying to find stuff, and envious snarks about Darby's nice stuff.).

This is true given my one experience. That said, it seemed pretty competitive for some.
In the past I have pulled a gun out and informally shot, but I don't participate in the saturday shoots as I'm as noncompetitive in my shooting, hunting, fishing as can be. Also I can't deal with being in large crowds especially noisy environments.

If I can stay busy with cooking or stuff I can deal with crowds, it drives my wife and daughter crazy, they go to parties, gatherings and shopping without me.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
I'm as noncompetitive in my shooting, hunting, fishing as can be. Also I can't deal with being in large crowds especially noisy environments.

it drives my wife and daughter crazy, they go to parties, gatherings and shopping without me.

Kent

Same here.
I am definitely looking forward to some more of Kent's fish.
Absolutely delicious!
Smallmouth should start biting soon...

Kent
Oh, and one more rule for Darby, he has to use old, ugly, rusty guns this year!! grin

Am thinking that Darby never has owned an old, ugly, rusty anything - so he may have to go find one. But, he has a brand new nice range over there and is probably out getting ready every day.
Been thinking about some shooting up here, but it's been well below freezing when the wind isn't blowing or snow isn't flying. May have to stop somewhere in the desert before the event.
We just will not be able to go - wish we could pull it off.
Ouch - Mark - sure have been looking forward to seeing you both. Will miss you.

Am thinking that Darby never has owned an old, ugly, rusty anything - so he may have to go find one. But, he has a brand new nice range over there and is probably out getting ready every day.
Been thinking about some shooting up here, but it's been well below freezing when the wind isn't blowing or snow isn't flying. May have to stop somewhere in the desert before the event.

I have an old remington 552 speedmaster with broken stock, screws from home depot and an old 4x15 scope that he can use

grin grin grin
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

It's looking better for me being able to drop in at least Kent.

So it sounds like a regular car can navigate the dirt road? I'm truckless for the next couple months most likely.

And what kind of equipment is needed to facilitate the shooting? Are there benches or do you need to bring your own? I have a pretty decent trap to throw birds if enough people would be interested in that, but wouldn't want to hump it if I wasn't sure it would be useful.

A car can make it, shooting stuff is brought by various folks and clay hand throwers are used. Just get there.

Kent
rufus, i haven't seen b.c. colorado posting on here for a while, but he has had no difficulty driving his car into the campsite and the same with others. But it's like anything else in arizona, dry conditions are one thing, rain and mud are another.
Family vehicles have made it just fine, if there is an issue we will have phone # to call and someone can run back the mile to Punkin center and do a park and ride.

Kent
Thanks, Rick, for making this a "sticky".

Sorry to hear about your ordeal with knee surgery.
I hope you have an excellent recovery.
Headed to the lake today to catch vittles... hopefully...

Kent
Headed to the lake today to catch vittles... hopefully...

Wish that I could help you. I can't firm up any plans until a Dr. visit on the 25th but still might make it. miles
I hope so Miles, I know its a damn long trip when hurting.

Kent
I know its a damn long trip when hurting.

Traveling does not seem to hurt. Problem is time between Dr. visits and picking up pain medicine. Can't get but a month at a time, and nothing early. No way around it according to the Doctor and Druggist. After the nerve burns I have cut back on some medicine and quit one all together. It hasn't helped my walking much, but it has the sleeping. I think a lot of the walking problem right now is muscular, from not using them before the fixes. I am trying to work on that, but slow if any progress. Of course it has just been a week and a half since the burn on the right side. miles
Miles - good to hear that the back issues and pain are lessening, even if slowly, and praying for the progress to continue. I'd like to learn from you about that "burn" treatment.

Sure do hope that you will be able to get out to Tonto Basin with the gang - we'll be needing some southern charm and curious intellect.
Miles, sure hope that you can make it. Just wouldn't seem right without you there.

Ben
I'd like to learn from you about that "burn" treatment.

Can't tell you a lot about it. It is a chemical burn of the sciatic nerve. They did several test injections to try to make sure they had the right place. Said it should get better after about a month a could last six months or more, before the nerve regenerated. I sometimes think they are milking the insurance, but you do what you can. miles
Have a couple guys at work going through that... test this area with different things to see if they are a candidate for the real procedure... back and forth and forth and back.

Kent
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We caought two limits for a start on fish fry Tonto style...

Kent
Nice, Kent. Looks like a gray day - was it chilly out there?
Yep, never warmed up as the wind got stronger, we quit at 2:00, my brother was cold.

Kent
I'm not wearing my hat cocked, the wind is trying to blow it off.

Kent
Well, the fish sure look good! But I won't get to show up this time. PET scan Tuesday and brain MRI Wednesday show several new brain cancers and now in my left lung so starting Monday, they will administer 14 charges of radiation, one per day, and when that is over get started on the drug that is slowly replacing chemo but I don't remember what it is nor do I have a schedule for it yet so all you guys and gals have a great time. I really will miss being there.
Ivan, you will be missed, you are truly a tough hombre amigo.

Kent
Ivan, hang in there Bud! We will surely miss you, and we're all praying for you. Hope to see you next year.
Ivan - I am sorry to learn this, but know that you are strong and of great faith. My prayers for you are ongoing and am disappointed because I was so much looking forward to seeing you again soon.
Ivan will be missed this year.
Originally Posted by krp
I'm not wearing my hat cocked, the wind is trying to blow it off.

Kent

I was thinking you went "Texian" ! smile
Ivan - a new round of prayers are beginning right NOW!
Best wishes.
Serious prayers of healing and comfort offered Sir.
I really do appreciate all the prayers and good thoughts from you fellers. Moral support means a great deal! Without it, I probably wouldn't last long.

I got started Monday on radiation so two more weeks of that and then it will be Keytruda for quite a while, I think. And as to yet no word on how long but it will have a huge effect on lung cancer and on the brain cancer as well. Jimmy Carter says he owes his life to that medicine so reckon I will give it a try.

I will try to keep y'all posted but don't be surprised if I get a little lax in responding. Please keep praying!

Ivan
Ivan,

I too will miss Tonto this year due to a 30th anniversary trip planned over a year ago. I will see you there next year though.
Wishing we could take the winter gathering to you in Billings. Lots of love and prayers for you Ivan. We're all offering prayers in your behalf.

Jeff
Originally Posted by EdM
Ivan,

I too will miss Tonto this year due to a 30th anniversary trip planned over a year ago. I will see you there next year though.

Good deal. I sure plan on being there.
Thanks, Jeff. Yeah, that would be great!

And thank you for your prayers and support.

Ivan
Ivan, wishing you the best.

I can't make it again this year, perhaps when I get to retire in a couple of years.

I have a HAM tag for javelina over near Baghdad starting the weekend of the get together, so if my health holds up and I think I can make the long drive, that's where my time will be spent. It's been a few years since I've made that hunt with my friends and I would love to get another "pig" with one of my handguns. And I'm hoping my brother might make it down there for a day trip or overnighter from FLagstaff area to meet the guys and see the territory. I'm hoping to goad him into getting a tag one year too.

y'all have fun and be safe.

Geno
Thanks, Geno! Make the trip if you can as it sure is worth it. Those guys are great and Kent's cooking will become addictive real soon!

Ivan
One of these days it's going to stop snowing, blowing and freezing up here, and I may be able to shoot at something. So, can we conjure better descriptions of the Tonto Basin shoots/distances?

Anything we need to bring to help with the camp. food and activities?
Just get here same as everyone else.

2 weeks away, end of next week lets try and get a head count for food purposes.

Kent
RSVP:
I am in (1), but I may eat as much as two!
DARBY rubbed off on ya I see... when ya see him come'n, double the groceries...

Kent
you'll see my ugly face there....I gotta get out of this cold damp wet never ending fog and overcast.....
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty
RSVP:

Ha! Milo, it's good to see that you are going. You taking a jug of that fine drinking potion again?
Originally Posted by Seafire
you'll see my ugly face there....I gotta get out of this cold damp wet never ending fog and overcast.....

Yah, git outta there, John, before it's too late. Don't conform!
RSVP:

Ha! Milo, it's good to see that you are going. You taking a jug of that fine drinking potion again?

Yes, Ivan.
We will toast you in your absence!
Possibly multiple times!

We can toast Ken in his absence, also!
RSVP:

Yes, Ivan.
We will toast you in your absence!
Possibly multiple times!

We can toast Ken in his absence, also!
Toast or Roast! grin laugh
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Ivan, wishing you the best.

I can't make it again this year, perhaps when I get to retire in a couple of years.

I have a HAM tag for javelina over near Baghdad starting the weekend of the get together, so if my health holds up and I think I can make the long drive, that's where my time will be spent. It's been a few years since I've made that hunt with my friends and I would love to get another "pig" with one of my handguns. And I'm hoping my brother might make it down there for a day trip or overnighter from FLagstaff area to meet the guys and see the territory. I'm hoping to goad him into getting a tag one year too.

y'all have fun and be safe.

Geno

and i am sure you will stay out of that bar in bagdad on the dirt road north out of town. Or juniors/pikes place going into town.
I have hunted that area many many times. Had pigs cross the road in front of me driving up from bagdad to the las vegas ranch.
I think I may get to make it, let you know for sure a little later. Y'all have moved the place since I as there before, so is this a place that you have to get a permit, or just show up, in case I am early. miles
Miles, good news - glad you are coming. Campsite is open ground so come as early as you want. I HOPE to get there by Thursday eve but need to clear a lot of rocks from the path between now and then.

Kent's map is good but just ask if you need clarification. If'n 'yer comin' across I40, definitely recommend coming down through Payson, then 87S and 188 into Punkin Center.
hello strangers

I see things are going on as usual. Glad to see you guys are still having the gatherings

I've missed a lot of them and most here wouldn't know me but i'm always wondering whats going on - though i hardly show up around here on 24hr anymore.

Anyway the reason i'm stalkin - sorry to say i can't make this one either - family gathering agin for me - danged people hate the snow so much they show up here each yr. what ya gonna do but make family plans .

I'd like to participate with an option of a new shoot -I 've recently acquired a cool target - plate steel which holds a clay pigeon - thing is real heavy duty - this is a loaner if someone can swing by or make arrangements I'm in n phx.

picture added -weighs about 80 lbs im guessin - its 18 x 32x 1/2 has slot in bac with a clay pigeon holder - It would make a great long range shoot. I'll even toss in dozen clay targets
I think of you guys often especially when i see or handle a rare ole shoot'n iron

hope you all have a great time - "if" i could at all make this it would be Saturday

our event includes some skydivin on thursday - friday so i have my doubts about saturday - no fear - its others whom wish to jump-

Gary - have that krp guy give an old freind a call if any interest

picture cropped to resize - edges cut by torch - just give it a little tilt up - lol

Attached picture new  target.jpg
Try and make it if you can Gary.

Kent
1 week away, any of the 'maybe' folks able to confirm?

Usually about 25 folks at this one and over 50 at the summer one, more families can make the summer event.

Get'n stuff ready.

Kent
It's looking pretty good for me, though I have no idea when I'll get out of work Friday so will likely just head out zero dark thirty on Saturday morning. Haven't decided whether to stay over or just head back Sat. night but should be there all that day.
Cool!

Kent
Speaking of bacon.

Dang (depending on who is reading this), I won't be able to make it this go 'round. Just got in from SC yesterday for a week, so won't have the time to make it to AZ.

And I was hoping to bring my own rifles to beat Dennis with this year.

Anyhoo, have fun and save the bacon. Speaking of which, if anyone has a good recipe for bacon, feel free to share. I have a slab of raw pork belly that I need to do something with.

David
David- Sure wish you could make it. I need to speak to you about WY Pronghorn this year.

Kent, count me in. Let me know what I can do you help you.

Jeff
Originally Posted by Paladin
Speaking of bacon.

Dang (depending on who is reading this), I won't be able to make it this go 'round. Just got in from SC yesterday for a week, so won't have the time to make it to AZ.

And I was hoping to bring my own rifles to beat Dennis with this year.

Anyhoo, have fun and save the bacon. Speaking of which, if anyone has a good recipe for bacon, feel free to share. I have a slab of raw pork belly that I need to do something with.

David

David, PM Joe Darbyshire... He's been makin some good bacon for a few yers now.
Originally Posted by krp
1 week away, any of the 'maybe' folks able to confirm?

Usually about 25 folks at this one and over 50 at the summer one, more families can make the summer event.

Get'n stuff ready.

Kent

I have to bow out. Sorry; work drafted me for next Friday and possibly Sunday. Between the homeless and the Liberals we are getting busy.
Well Crap! I was hoping to meet Ranger Green and then, David.. I'm always disappointed when you can't make it...

We need more retirees in the crowd...or self employed etc..

Also bumming Ivan isn't going to be able to make it...

there will be folks there I am really happy to see, as always.... but the down side is you boys that won't be able to make it...

I look forward to this, much more than I ever would a high school or college reunion...
It is a shame that the folks that can't make it won't be able to defend themselves when their names come up in conversation as we're passin' the jug 'round the 'fire!

Ken, I'm talking about you (LOL).

Ken perks up when someone mentions jugs! (Ha).
Originally Posted by Paladin
Speaking of bacon.

And I was hoping to bring my own rifles to beat Dennis with this year. - - - -
David

Speaking of Dennis and shooting - is there any clear info on shoots/distances, etc.??
Hi Kent. Planning to be there by Friday daytime. If you need things, please let me now.
Hello,
I haven't been on the 'fire much because the constant redirects are such a pain. I am doubtful to be there for the Tonto camp. We were planning on it, but Stephen's basketball team has been killing it. They are in the State tournament starting this weekend, and so we have game this weekend and through next week as they progress.
If they make it through the championship game is the night of the 11th. Sorry folks, but we'll be in Quemado this summer!
Looks like we can make it this year!
Doug and his Grandson and I.
Plan on arriving Thursday PM.
I can't remember who asked last year but I will have some Soju this year!
OK, Paul asked me to put some stuff up about the shoots. The range in Tonto is more restrictive than Armijo so I will try to make the best guess at the ranges.

Prairie dog shoot: One shot, any sporting rifle with no sighters before hand. Anticipated distance is 150 yards. A rifle can only be used ONCE in this match. Closest to center wins.

Rimfire #1 shoot. 5 shots at an orange target spot (4") Must be a sporting rifle in 22 Long Rifle caliber. Any sights-no restrictions on shooting position. Anticipated range is 150 yards. Rifle can only be used ONCE in this match. Smallest group that has at least one round on the spot wins.

Rimfire #2 shoot. 5 shots at a pest type target (rat, crow etc) with an orange spot on it. Match must be shot from a field position- no bench rest. No scope allowed. Rifle can be used only ONCE in this match. Anticipated range is 35 yards. Smallest group with ALL shots on the pest and one in the orange win. If nobody meets this criteria, smallest group that has one round in Orange wins.

OK, Paul asked me to put some stuff up about the shoots. The range in Tonto is more restrictive than Armijo so I will try to make the best guess at the ranges.

Rimfire #1 shoot. 5 shots at an orange target spot (4") Must be a sporting rifle in 22 Long Rifle caliber. Any sights-no restrictions on shooting position. Rifle can only be used ONCE in this match. Smallest group that has at least one round on the spot wins.

Distance on this shoot? Greater than 100 yards ? 125 yards ? 150 yards ?
I am sitting in an RV park, in south central New Mexico, as we speak. Don't know what day, but unless something breaks, I will be there. miles

Miles, you doing a drive about? you are a day away and a week early... lol

Kent
Originally Posted by Owl

Rimfire #1 shoot. 5 shots at an orange target spot (4") Must be a sporting rifle in 22 Long Rifle caliber. Any sights-no restrictions on shooting position. Rifle can only be used ONCE in this match. Smallest group that has at least one round on the spot wins.

Distance on this shoot? Greater than 100 yards ? 125 yards ? 150 yards ?

So, no 17 HMR? Bummer. I will see what I can come up with for Michael to shoot.

And I will see if I can get my 63 to cycle, It is the only one I have with open sights in .22.
Miles, you doing a drive about? you are a day away and a week early... lol

Yep. Using the old roads instead of the interstate system. And looking at stuff. miles
Temps will be in the 70s and possibly get 80 on friday.

Kent
Originally Posted by DavePrice

Glad yer gonna make it, Dave. I'm gonna miss visiting with you. And everybody else.
Originally Posted by DavePrice

Glad yer gonna make it, Dave. I'm gonna miss visiting with you. And everybody else.

Thanks Ivan.
See you next time!
Hey Dennis - thanks for the info on shoots. Sounds very good. Is the no-scope pest shoot (.22Rimfire) at 25 yards, 50 yards, or ??
Hey Dennis - thanks for the info on shoots. Sounds very good. Is the no-scope pest shoot (.22Rimfire) at 25 yards, 50 yards, or ??

Rimfire #2 shoot. 5 shots at a pest type target (rat, crow etc) with an orange spot on it. Match must be shot from a field position- no bench rest. No scope allowed. Rifle can be used only ONCE in this match. Anticipated range is 35 yards. Smallest group with ALL shots on the pest and one in the orange win. If nobody meets this criteria, smallest group that has one round in Orange wins.
Miles, don't tell us that you're stayin' at that Happy Hooker RV park down near Ruidoso - been told there's only ugly fish in that pond.

Dennis - is it true that factory ammo cannot be used in your shoots?

RoninPhx - are you coming to the event?
Dennis - is it true that factory ammo cannot be used in your shoots?

Now I have to go get supplies and learn to reload for everything. Can I use the same case or can you only use the case once?

I think I scrounged up enough rifles so Michael and I can each shoot rather than using the same rifle more than once in each shoot.
Dennis - Is it OK to use "factory" ammo if it is made by a commercial reloader using once-fired brass? My powder got wet and am not sure we can get it dry enough to use through the measure before next weekend?
Well, She was not happy at the start. miles
You can use factory centerfire ammo but not factory rimfire ammo and since when are these my shoots?
Ouch, my rimfire reloader is broken, and also I'm confused. Who's running the shoots? Darby, maybe ???
You can use factory centerfire ammo but not factory rimfire ammo and since when are these my shoots?

I am having a hard time finding FACTORY SPRINGFIELD, RUGER or Iver/Johnson .22 ammo anyway. grin
See you guys there, out the door and on the way...

Thank God!
Drive safe, John.
John,
I arrived in the Tucson area yesterday. Sunny 70s today. I hope you brought your sunglasses and sunscreen..

The roads in California that I took (99, 58, etc) are in better shape this year than they were last year. Stay safe getting away from all that weather.

See you this weekend .
Hey, John. Don't forget your camera!
Well, looks like saturday is going to be cooler and possible rain, going from about 80 on friday to mid 60s. Lows in the 50s and high 40s.

Kent
If rain is a maybe - is anyone bringing a big tarp with poles/ropes - or one of those pop-up lids - or have a big awning on the camper?? Or.

Let's fess up if we need to get/bring something.
I don't own an easy-up.
I have a 10'x10' easy up I will bring, I might be able to get one more.
I arrived at camp late this afternoon (they send in the Marines first,right?) to find that Miles Patton beat me by a day or two. There is no one else within a mile of our camp right now.

The dirt road in is in excellent shape, better than last year, except for the rough last 200 yards, about the same as last year. Anybody showing up in a Corvette will have to park and walk in the last 200 yards.

Miles Patton was so glad to have some company that he heated up some excellent stew for our dinner while I got situated and settled in. We got acquainted over dinner and a cold beer.

Right now, at almost 10:00 pm the sky is clear under a full moon. The temperature is 60 degrees, the moonlight is almost bright enough to shoot by, and the coyotes are starting to make their presence known.

Safe travels everyone, the campsite is claimed for the Campfire group, and the welcoming committee is in place. I am looking forward to greeting some old friends and meeting some new ones.
I have a 12 x 24 canopy plus a pop up, same one we used at Quemado lake when we were in the parking lot.

Kent
Forecast has now lowered rain chance to max 50% from 8PM Sat through most of the day Sunday.
Doug, Gabe and I should be there early this afternoon.
Thanks for the reports guys - good stuff.

nifty250 - looks like you and Miles have everything ready in camp. Interesting that Miles served you that stew - it was made with coyote meat left over from last summer's gathering up this way. How are you feeling today?

That's bad news with the last 200 yards of road - will not be bringing my old Corvette as planned.

Is Darby there yet - can't seem to find him on his cell phone.
i have been otherwise directed to some extent, missed cccc's comment.
i plan to attend if for no other time at least saturday.
I have another adoptee golden retriever among other things.
very abused dog that have been dealing with this week.
the only thing that concerns me is not being there on friday and the addiction i have to krp's fish.
and to be honest onset of oldage itis.
i was thinking it was next week.
Michael and I will be up there Friday night sometime. I am going shopping tonight and tomorrow in case anybody forgot anything just let me know and I will try to pick it up for you. (bottled water, salt, pepper, blah blah blah) laugh

How many kids will be there besides Michael? Do I need to bring a 20ga youth shot gun for them? I plan on bringing a few like last year so you guys can shoot whatever is comfortable for you and my slinger.

I will check back periodically to see if anyone needs anything before I head out.
Steak and fish is saturday night, AZmex food friday night.

Kent
Heading out first thing tomorrow morning. I threw in a couple of shotguns and some shells, and I will contribute some cash to whomever brings the clay pigeons.
Cccc,

Miles said he ran out of the coyote meat for the stew, but he upgraded to raccoon, and he is saving some for you, Paul. Yum, yum.

Dave Price and his crew are here now and all set up.

Roadrunner, you could bring a lopping shear and a camp saw to help clear shooting lanes and around campsites, unless someone else has already said they are bringing some. Miles has been beating the thorn bushes back with his cane and hitting cactus spines with his arm on the backstroke. He says a little blood adds flavor to the stew.

We are fixing to have some more stew right now to go with the cold beer.

All is well while we await reinforcements.
I will bring a lopper and a saw, unless someone tells me not to bother...
You guys have fun!! Travel safe going and returning!
I'll be leaving 5-ish am Sat from the far west valley. Let me know if there's something needed last minute I could pick up tonite.

The map looks pretty clear. Does the dirt road have a number sign?
Dang, missing this for the second year.

You folks have a good time...
The road into camp is on the west side, exactly opposite the south exit road from Punkin Center. We think the road number is 409.

We just finished an excellent dinner, prepared by KRP (Kent) of antelope tacos. The meat was indirectly provided by Ken Howell, in that the antelope was taken by DARBY (Joe D. ) using Ken Howell's custom rifle in 220 Howell, with a 75 gr. bullet at about 3400 fps.

After dinner we enjoyed an Amarulla toast to Ken Howell and to Bigbuck215 (Ivan) and to some other Campfire friends that can't be with us this year.
Originally Posted by RufusG
I'll be leaving 5-ish am Sat from the far west valley. Let me know if there's something needed last minute I could pick up tonite.

The map looks pretty clear. Does the dirt road have a number sign?
'

its 409, if you are coming in from the beeline side, in punkin center start looking on your fight rd will be there just past a little ridge. believe it is marked.
Hey, thanks for the toast! I felt that way up here.
You Gentlemen Rock! I wish I could have made it, maybe for the antelope tacos alone. I sit here instead, between assignments.
Yesterday afternoon and this morning sunrise.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Looks like the start of a beautiful day.

Howdy, y'all.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Yum!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Yum!

Hey Bob, is Miles looking at one of Joe's rifles? If so, I'd chip in 2 bits if you will, just so he'd drop it... you know, get it a little dirty.

Also, if that is Dennis cooking... yall better watch out!

You fellows have a great time...

Did it warm you up any? Feeling kind of toasty up there? grin That was some good stuff.

Did it warm you up any? Feeling kind of toasty up there? grin That was some good stuff.

O yes Feeling VERY toasty. Even the outside temp has passed +40.

See yall next year!
I'm home and unpacked- for the most part. Was a great weekend; amazing weather- never had to put a jacket on, storm never materialized. NO wind on Friday for sighing in rifles. We ate well as usual. I grilled up an entire side of beef-it seems, on mesquite wood coals. Kent grilled up fresh caught smallmouths and we had Mexican food before that. We had biscuits & gravy, eggs, bacon, sausage, chilies, left over steak potatoes and a bottomless pot of coffee for breakfasts.

We burned lots of powder; sitting at benches, rolling in the dirt and even shot standing up. We shot 22s, 17s, AR-15s and various hunting rifles. A little bit of handgun shooting went on- far less than when BColorado comes! A 90-year-old 22 proved to be quite the shooter- peep sights and all.

Sat around the campfire, mesquite stoked of course, and compared notes talked about past get-togethers and planned new ones. A few javelina hunters drove by but otherwise we were not bothered by anybody. The moon was so bright we didn't even need to get the lanterns out!

There was no Louisiana 'shine this year but a few beers were tipped back, I saw a bottle of Dickels somewhere and Milo brought a couple bottles of Amarulla. The Amarulla came complete with the cutest little red solo cups I have ever seen!

Nobody got snakebit, shot or chainsawed! Miles did burn his arm pretty good before we all got there. Hard to imagine a better weekend!

I took no photos so Seafire and Mudhen will have to fill in with some photos when they get home.

For some reason my dog is even tired!
For some reason my dog is even tired!

I don't think I saw her snoozing during daylight more than a couple minutes the whole time I was there. She definitely stayed on top of things.

The food was fantastic as noted. Many thanks to all responsible for the vittles. Now I need to fast for a couple days.
It was a wonderful gathering. Seemed to me that a great time was had by all in attendance.

Was nice to renew old friendships.

Looking forward to Armijo Springs this summer. Hoping that those not able to attend this weekend will be able to attend this summer. And those of you reading and are interested will come and attend for the first time.

Thanks to Kent and his lovely wife for keeping us well feed. Thanks to Dennis for organizing the shooting matches. And to all others that helped in gathering wood, picking up trash, setting up targets etc.

And thanks to all of you that had to travel many miles to be here. May you travel safely and return to your families without harm of delay.

Jeff
This event was simply first-rate - very good fun and fellowship, very good shooting, very good food and an excellent portion of the best of Campfire folks. Is this not why we gather?

We are making our way through AZ and back to the high country, and eager to meet again at Armijo Springs this summer.

Thanks to all who made the effort - and looking forward to some photos from the snappers.
Anybody hear from Myles? He was driving into a pretty nasty storm yesterday...
Originally Posted by mudhen
Anybody hear from Myles? He was driving into a pretty nasty storm yesterday...

I was wrong, he hadn't posted since the sixth, but was online this AM.
Rained pretty good this morning about 330. Thunder lightning and the whole works.
I am currently stopped just West of Oklahoma City, for the night. Will make it home tomorrow, if I have no trouble. It was snowing pretty good when I went across the divide on I-40 and there was snow all over the ground from there to East of Albuquerque. That don't look right but is what spell checker said. I spent last night in the RV park (lavaland) and about 3 inches on the ground. It was 32f this morning but by the time I gassed up and got ready about 34f. The roads were clear. They were looking at up to 6 inches of snow in the Eastern Plains of NM for tonight. I will report when I get home. miles
Drive safe
Got home about 3:00 pm today. From near the Texas-Oklahoma line, both yesterday and today all the way home it was rain and trucker spray. Long drive in that, but I am home. miles
Miles,

Glad to hear that you made it home safely. All that rain and road spray make for a LONG day.
After spending Sunday night and Monday night in Payson with my sister-in-law and family, I started toward California today, by way of Prescott.

At Dennis's urging, I dropped in on Dan Pedersen (Classic Barrel & Gunworks in Prescott). When I asked him to look at my Sedgley Springfield his face lit up. Then when I told him Dennis had urged me to bring it to him, his face lit up again.

Dennis, Dan says you are overdue to visit Prescott!

Dan has a particular interest in Sedgleys and has one of his own, that he acquired by luck. He shared the story. Briefly, he was offered a sporterized Springfield sight unseen at a price too good to pass up, for less than the value of the action alone. When it arrived in his hands it turned out to be a Sedgley. How's that for a stroke of luck?

Anyway, I had a very pleasant visit with Dan and left the rifle with him. He is going to refurbish it and improve it, while keeping the old-school look and classy style intact. When he is done and it has been re-blued, and with the new recoil pad and front sight with ramp, it will look like a nearly new, 80-year-old classic rifle.

Tonight I am in the KOA camp in Kingman, Arizona, and still about 800 miles from home. The weather is beautiful so far, but I will arrive in northern California just in time for the next series of rain storms.

I had a great four days at Tonto Basin with a fine bunch of guys that made the trip a special time for me. Miles, I am glad you made it home safe. Did you get that left turn signal on the trailer fixed? The old drivers hand signals aren't fun when it is raining and you have to stick your arm out the window.

I will get some pictures up in a few days after I get home.

Did you get that left turn signal on the trailer fixed?

Discovered that I had the park lights on, thinking I was seeing the running lights that are always on. With those off the brake and turn signals work fine. I just drove in the day time, and will figure it out while at home. Hope your trip is pleasant all the way. miles
Milo- glad you could meet Danny!
Once again we had a great time visiting with everyone, the food was great and the shooting fun. It was great to see everyone again and missed a few that weren't there. Michael had a blast even though he totally pulled his shot. laugh He was banging the gong with a Springfield .22 bolt action regularly and also with a T/C in .223. I really enjoy watching his face light up when he shoots. Bang,,,,,,,,,,Ping! grin

I didn't take any pictures, and I am terrible with names and faces, so if anyone is going to post pics, could you put names with them please.

Kent, Cheryl and Dennis kept the group fed with some wonderful food AGAIN. A lot of food and a few drinks sitting around the campfire was the perfect weekend and the weather was fantastic!

I hope everyone has safe travels home. Will check in to look at the pics when they are posted.
Well, I am finally back in DogPatch OR....

After visiting my aging mom, in Temecula CA, I didn't feel like dealing with CA Traffic, and LA traffic...

so I went up 15 and then took US 395 all the way back to Oregon. There was QUITE A BIT of snow up around Mammouth Lake...like 10 feet piled up in spots at 8000 feet off the side of the road.

Hit high winds in No Ca north of Susanville....only rain I hit was crossing between K Falls and the Rogue Valley.. and it was pretty heavy, even by Oregon Standards....

Today had to get things squared away after being gone 8 days... as soon as I get this computer squared away, I'll post the pics I took....

Ivan, really missed your presence...some of these events just wouldn't be the same without Miles, Dennis, Kent, Jeff....

and it wasn't quite as good ( no matter how great) when Brian or Ivan aren't there....and a host of other campfire friends...like KayWoodie and Randy ( Oldman 03)....

A lot of guys have gone from being Friends to being Family after 4 or 5 of these campfire get2gathers in AZ and NM....
Glad you made it home all safe and sound, John.

So you gonna get some pictures posted now? Thanks.
What if the Campfire group had a Get-together/Shootin' match at Tonto Basin, and Darby was the only one that showed up?

This is what it would look like:

[Linked Image]
I made it home to Redding, CA yesterday afternoon, safe and sound. I left home two weeks ago in the rain, and I arrived back home in the rain. I had a great trip and it was nice to get out of the rainy weather and enjoy clear skies and sunshine in Arizona with a great group of guys (and one poor gal, sweet Cheryl) and two teen-age boys and three dogs. I will share some of the pictures of the event.

Miles Patton showed up on Monday, and this is what our camp area looked like:

[Linked Image]

Then I showed up Wednesday afternoon. The first arrivals on Thursday were David Price, Doug Wynn, and Doug's grandson, Gabe.

Miles had a big pot of excellent stew that fed the few of us for a couple of days until everyone else showed up. Here we are having some of that stew. Left to right: Miles Patton, Nifty-250, and Doug Wynn. Miles can attest to the fact that most of the plants in Arizona have thorns or stickers. He had to wack back some thorn bushes to maneuver his truck and trailer into a good camping spot, and the thorns got his arm pretty good. Look at the blood on his arm in the picture.

[Linked Image]

Those who arrived later knew they had found the right spot when they spotted this gaggle of gypsies clustered together in one spot.

[Linked Image]

This is what some of the crowd looked like early on Saturday morning, drinking coffee and waiting for breakfast.

[Linked Image]
As usual, Kent (KRP) did a fantastic job of seeing that we were well fed, along with lots of help from Cheryl and Dennis.

[Linked Image]

Left to right: RufusG, RoninPHX, and KRP.

[Linked Image]

And, of course, there was shooting. Here Michael J. (Roadrunner65, JR.) busts a cap on his first time shooting a cap-and-ball black powder revolver. Looking on is Gabe, Doug Wynn's grandson.

[Linked Image]
We set up four shooting tables in a line, pointed at assorted targets in clear spots downrange. Here is Joe J, (Roadrunner65) spotting for son Michael, getting sighted-in for the open-sight 22 rimfire match.

[Linked Image]

Between shooting and eating was some great conversation around the campfire. Here, left to right are, CCCC (Paul), Dennisaz (Dennis), RoninPHX (Ron), Miles Patton (in the hat), and Talus (Jeff P.).

Ron is a veritable encyclopedia of early Arizona history, as he personally witnessed much of it, or knew those that did!

[Linked Image]
An actual campfire shot with Mudhen (Ben), RoninPHX (Ron), and Miles Patton.

[Linked Image]

This is Dennis's beautiful dog, Ruby, a veteran of campfire get-togethers. As to breed, I am told she is a Blue Lacy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lacy,
Normally she was very active and on the move. This was a rare time when she took a rest break.

[Linked Image]

This is a view of the shooting range when everybody was in the chow line behind the photographer.

[Linked Image]

Seafire stopped at the Cabela's store in Reno on his way down from Grants Pass, Oregon, and picked up a new scope. Here is Seafire, in the green cap and the yellow scope box in his lap passing the scope around for all to check out.

Left to right, is Miles Patton, CCCC (Paul) admiring the interesting reticle (or trying to figure out which end to look through), OWL (Jeff H.) Seafire (John), and the backside of David Price. Show-and-Tell is a fun part of the get-together.

[Linked Image]

For some reason the dogs thought they should keep a close eye on DARBY (Joe D.).

[Linked Image]

Discussing the rules for the shooting matches are L-to-R, OWL (Jeff H.), CCCC (Paul), Dennisaz (Dennis) facing away, Mudhen (Ben), and Talus (Jeff P.).

[Linked Image]
Here is DARBY (Joe D.) getting some practice with one of his fancy rifles in advance of the long-range rimfire shoot.

The shooting table is produced by our own 'fire member, rjencks, (Bob Jencks, in Rhode Island) and info is available at ShootingTables.com.

PM Bob for ordering details, if interested. He also sells the leg brackets by themselves if you want to make your own table.

[Linked Image]

DARBY again, on the rjencks shooting table.

[Linked Image]

Before heading back to Oregon, Seafire (John C.) decided to install a new air filter and do a good under-the-hood inspection, including checking his valve cover gaskets, of course (LOL). Seafire and Miles Patton both braved snowy travel weather to attend the get-together, Seafire from Oregon and Miles had snow on I-40 in New Mexico on his way back to Arkansas. CCCC came down out of the snow in Quemado to attend, also.

[Linked Image]
Here, clanging the gong at 128 yards with their 22s are Nifty-250 (Milo) and Dennisinaz (Dennis) in the back.

[Linked Image]

The shooting matches were a lot of fun. The long-range 22 rimfire shoot was won by Talus (Jeff P.) shooting his CZ-452 Sporter.

The one-shot prairie dog shoot (146 yds) was won by Dennisinaz (Dennis) shooting a CZ-452 Varmint 22 LR, winning against the centerfire rifles.

The short-range open-sight 22 shoot was won by CCCC (Paul) shooting a Mossberg, I believe.

The evening meal was preceded by the saying of the Pledge of Allegiance, and then a Blessing for the meal. After the meal a not-so-serious award ceremony was held and then a serious toast was made to Ken Howell and others that could not be present with us that night. The group shared strong feelings of fellowship and all looked forward to future get-togethers with our Campfire friends.

On Sunday afternoon some rain clouds started moving in as everybody packed up to leave. I headed 40 miles up the mountains to spend a couple of days with some family in Payson.

When I got up Monday morning and stepped out of my small RV to walk the dog, this is the colorful dawn sky that welcomed me. Arizona has its own unique beauty in many forms.

[Linked Image]
Looks like a great time was had by all!
For some reason the dogs thought they should keep a close eye on DARBY (Joe D.).

[Linked Image]

Discussing the rules for the shooting matches are L-to-R, OWL (Jeff H.), CCCC (Paul), Dennisaz (Dennis) facing away, Mudhen (Ben), and Talus (Jeff P.).

[Linked Image]
The dogs are smart. grin

Great pics and from the looks of it a great time had by all!

Ken,

You and your troop were missed, but we did talk about you!
No wonder my eras were burnin'! laugh
Gosh, it looks like everyone had a great time. I want to be retired!
A great weekend with a great bunch of guys and gal. looks like the weather was exceptional !

Thanks for posting, Milo.
Forgive me guys, the computer here is dying. I have a replacement on the way. I'll try to get pics posted as soon as I have a computer that cooperates.

I haven't forgotten, but I can't improve on the ones Milo has already shown.. just show you more of folks having a good time.
Off topic, but I just wanted to let the rest of the gang know that there is evidently some real bad flooding down Milo's way in Redding Ca....

one of my wife's friends sent her a video from her smart phone where she and her husband were heading back to Oregon and on I 5 down that way between Redding and Red Bluff Ca, that I 5 was flooded heavily in both directions....

she said she was surprised the CHP left the highway open.. traffic was only able to go about 10 to 15 mph....

hope Milo and his family and home are high and dry and no damage to his property....

we got heavy rain up here, but not like Milo got down in Redding...180 miles south of here...

Looks like ya all had a great time............ grin
Yes, I made it home to Redding Thursday afternoon. I avoided the flooding on I-5 60 to 100 miles or so south of here by diverting to the east on Rt 99 through Chico. That put me closer to Oroville and the dam problems, and I did pass through the evacuation warning area, but I avoided the flooded areas further downstream that were caused by the high dam release flows.

Highway 99 was clear all the way with no slowdowns and lighter traffic than normal. I did see many flooded orchards, fields, and parks along the way, and it was just lightly raining off and on as I got through the area.

The rain started harder and steadier as I reached home, and continued all night. Our house is on higher ground and we are doing fine.

There are several roads closed around Redding in low areas, and along and near the Sacramento River because of flooding. Even the Sheriff's office is closed to the public because water is up to their front door. The staff is still working, coming and going through a back door. Our Sheriff Tom Bosenko is a great guy and a friend. He is a big 2nd Amendment supporter, so I hope his office doesn't get flooded. He has a nice display of antique handguns mounted on the wall behind his desk.

We got a break from the weather yesterday with some nice sunshine. It is cloudy today with the next big storm coming in tonight and continuing through Tuesday. By then our area will have exceeded DOUBLE of our normal expected annual rainfall for the season which runs from August to August, since we get almost no rain from May through September.

An old man once told me, "Almost all droughts end in a flood". I believe he was right.
Just glad to hear you made it and are safe.
Thanks for the positive report, Milo - glad you are home safe - and dry, so far.
Good to know that you made it home safe and sound.
Glad to hear you made 'er safe and sound!
amazing pictures. Looking at so many old friends there, kinda made me sad that I can't make these outings. Glad y'all has so much fun.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
amazing pictures. Looking at so many old friends there, kinda made me sad that I can't make these outings. Glad y'all has so much fun.

Fun is the right term. Some more good photos should be coming, once the shutterbugs get them online. It would be great for all if you could swing out here and join the festivities.
Originally Posted by mudhen
Do you want me to bring some green chile breakfast burritos?

Mudhen, (Ben), I didn't get to thank you personally for those great burritos. They were delicious.

I got lucky, because when things were breaking up Kent had a few burritos left over that he passed out, and I got one.

The next day when I enjoyed it, I was warmly reminded of the nice time we had together.

Thank you, and your helper that put those together.
Milo, you're more than welcome, but they were all my wife's doing. I was just the delivery boy. I did tell her that she and her burritos received many compliments, so maybe we'll get some more next year.
Okay, after a long time this evening wrestling my ailing computer.. and dealing with some servers slowing down...I managed to get the pics I took available to show.. seems everyone always likes and wants pictures...

First one.. Interstate 5, North Bound looking over at the southbound side up near Redding where Milo lives...

[Linked Image]

Milo taking names after kicking some ass... Paul ( CCCC) hiding his face, trying to avoid the inevitable..

[Linked Image]

Ron and Miles getting their Butch Cassidy and the SunDance Kid photo taken by Dennis...

[Linked Image]

Paul ( CCCC) showing Jeff H ( Owl) the finer arts of cursive hand writing.. just before he shot that Bull Elk coming down the Mountain side Lost...

[Linked Image]

Jeff ( Talus) and Darby trying to convince Mudhen ( Ben) that they are Arizona State Troopers and that he was speeding down the camp's dirt road, doing 8 mph in a 6 mph speed saftey zone...

[Linked Image]

Michael ( RoadRunner 65 Jr) hanging low profile in the chair besides dad, hiding out to avoid doing the dishes duty after lunch time...

[Linked Image]

One of the rifles I gave away to one of the needy campfire members that were there....

[Linked Image]

Dennis showing pictures he drew of his pet raccoon to Ron, Miles and Jeff H:

[Linked Image]

Joe, Miles and Ron discussing Dennis's Artwork, while Joe Darby is showing a visitor in the background how to make his favorite paper airplane design....

[Linked Image]

SAme image as above, but enlarged since I left out Milo's left shoulder... and important part to get the full effect of the situational awareness...

[Linked Image]

Milo getting ready to sneeze on Dennis's artwork... as Jeff H observes, just in case it is damaged for the insurance claim Dennis would have made...

[Linked Image]

Talus standing by that rifle I gave away ( one of many) getting ready to use his spotting scope on that Lady up the hill taking a shower in her Motor Home, but left the window open... She was really Hot HOt HOT!!!!

[Linked Image]

Same thing that caught Jeff's attention is catching Mudhen's ( Ben) as he is getting his bearings to look thru the other spotting scope set up...

[Linked Image]

Jeff P ( Talus) admiring the image provided by the open window in the Motor Home on the hill.... I missed it, I was busy checking out my valve cover gaskets to see if they were leaking... having a spare set with me like I always take on trips.. just in case... you never know, ya know...

[Linked Image]

Dennis recording it for the 5 o'clock news in Phoenix on Monday night, on the Playboy Channel...

[Linked Image]

Ben taking it in, but he admitted to me in private, his wife is much much more attractive... but he being the nice guy he is, didn't want to hurt the other guys feelings...Ben's a prince of a man...much like Joe Darbyshire...

[Linked Image]

Jeff just loving it.. she was drying off now...and smiling at him...

[Linked Image]

Since the other guys were hogging the spotting scope, Owl ( Jeff H.) had to use his scope off of his 22 to check her out...
She was waving at Jeff, but Dennis said she was waving at him... YOU be the judge...both are kinda studly guys..

[Linked Image]

Dennis evidently liking the view and that smile and wave she's giving him... instead of reporting it on the Playboy News Channel, he's thinking "maybe this should go into my private news archive....Hmmmmmm"

[Linked Image]

Paul: "What the hell are you guys looking at???? When are we going to start the shoot? I've been sitting here 30 minutes while you guys have been gawking at something up the hill there!"

[Linked Image]

Jeff H ( Owl): " just give me another minute Paul..."

[Linked Image]

Meanwhile...........
Milo, Miles, Ron and "the Guest", are trying to figure out why Joe Darby's paper airplane didn't fly, but crashed and burned... with NO Survivors....

[Linked Image]

Tony ( Rufus G) trying to figure how why he made the trip out from Phoenix..... thinking "boy are these guys a bunch of perverts.... and what the heck is with that Seafire guy, spending time checking out his valve cover gaskets... its the weekend for Christ sake... and the weather is beautiful!"

[Linked Image]

Ever wonder who the real guy is that "Won the West"? Well, here's your chance to see him in pictures... with the gun that "won the west".... the 220 Howell....the first gun He built when he owned Sako, before selling it to the Finnish Government... I present you with the real life Image of a Legend: Joe Darbyshire, of Show Low ( or is it NO Go? ) Arizona....

[Linked Image]

For $50, Joe will always give you his autograph.. if you supply the paper and pen.... for really good looking HOT babes, $40.... If they are nude, $39.95....

Paul on the shooting line ( finally!), getting ready to shoot the gun given to him by Ben Franklin himself...this is the one he made right after he did the lightning, key and kite thing...
Paul scored the first hit on the target in our 1000 yd 22 Rimfire shoot...with this rifle...

[Linked Image]

Note how jealous of that rifle that Ben ( Mudhen) is in the background...

This first minute of Paul's 10 minute search for the target, thru his 60 power scope....

[Linked Image]

Joe's ( Road Runner 65) Red Ford Road Runner in the back ground...

[Linked Image]

Joe Darby showing his delight after he hit the 1000 yd gong with his 220 Howell, with his first shot...the tell tale sound of the bullet's wack on metal could be heard around the canyon..... and his shot had NOTHING AT ALL to do with that Jeep up there that someone put a hole thru the fender and his engine block...

[Linked Image]

Action shot replay of Darby, after he hit the Jeep/ I mean GONG for the second time with his second shot......

[Linked Image]

Paul in his 10th minute looking for the target in the 60 power Barska Scope.. finally getting ready to chamber a round and let her have it....

[Linked Image]

Paul's 5th minute after chambering a round, looking for that darn elusive target, thru the sites of his 60 power Barska Scope...Ben ( Mudhen ) getting impatient in the back ground...
Reading his mind, from afar.... " Lets get on with it for Christ Sakes Paul!!!!"

[Linked Image]

Paul reviewing his breathing technique before pulling the trigger... Minute 17 on the line for that ONE shot... but PERFECT SHOT.....
[Linked Image]

Dennis's Dog Ruby, busy thinking... Gee Paul, are YOU EVER going to take that shot? Ever????

[Linked Image]

Ben finally gets the bench for his shot, after waiting for Paul's Perfect Shot " heard 'round the world" for 22 minutes... whistle

[Linked Image]

Ben getting ready to let it fly.... you can see Darby in the background trying to con Michael out of his 22 LR...

[Linked Image]

Ben " well you gave Paul 22 minutes, can't I take 2???"... Michael's dad Joe, intercepting Darby trying to low ball Michael...in the back ground....

[Linked Image]

Joe Telling his son Michael " no son, that is a 223 cartridge and the rifle is a 22 Long Rifle....".. Michael " but Uncle Darby told me that either would work, they are both 22 calibers...

[Linked Image]

Michael "taking the shot" and Jeff P ( Talus) observing thru the spotting scope and wishing " oh to be young again with good eye sight...."

[Linked Image]

Michael with dad's Rem ADL in 223, Leupold on top.. scoring a direct hit on that target out there...

[Linked Image]

Spying on Paul and Dennis with my 2000 power Zoom Lense I was given by Big Stick.....

[Linked Image]

Road Runner getting ready to shoot, while Jeff ( Talus) is checking out that Motor Home on the hill, just in case there is another "floor show" going on....

[Linked Image]

Yup there is another floor show going on up the hill and Road Runner Joe getting ready to shoot, while Jeff enjoys the show...

[Linked Image]

Instant Replay:

[Linked Image]

Miles telling another Arkansas " three guys walk into a bar" joke....inquiring minds want to know the outcome...

[Linked Image]

Well its 243 Winchester AM... so I'm going to call it a night...

will post some more pics tomorrow or tomorrow night....

Guten Abend!
Love the commentary Sir, LMAO!
Yeah, good job , John! You should have been a sportscaster or maybe you are!
John, Thanks for posting, and the narrative. What a hoot !
I believed every word until you quoted Ruby. I know what she was really thinking- "I shouldn't have eaten all those steaks Seafire gave me last night..."
Crap! Busted!!!
Seafire - thanks for the photos and clever script. Much appreciated - adds a nice bit of afterglow.

But, your timing count was WAY off on that one sequence.

Must remark about Darby's very fine .220 Howell for which he has given a ton of effort working tricky brass and getting to a good load. Rifle is built on a Nesika action with custom fluted barrel and a top quality trigger. Am thinking that scope is NC Star.

Ruby called last evening to say she had licked up a puddle of oil from under your SUV at camp, and it made her tummy sour. Did your valve cover gaskets leak on the way home?

Paul,

Darby's Scope is a Weaver... it was given to him...

But I know he does have a batch NcStar scopes.... but Joe is very clever.... gets some decals made that say Leupold, Swarofsky etc... and tells folks the scope were custom made for him...
]
Yeah, I tried to keep Ruby out of the oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets, but something in them appealed to her.. maybe Kent was dumping his chicken grease on it thinking no one would notice, which they didn't.. except for Ruby...

The valve cover gaskets didn't leak too bad on the way home, since I changed them... I'll do that again in mid March.. once a month ya know.. thanks for asking....

Give Maddy a hug from me and the rest of the boys...

cheers & best regards
With that High Speed propeller on the front of your rig you could have crossed any flooded wash. Really enjoyed our time together. Thanks for helping Gaberiel and Michael get involved in hand gun shooting. Hope to see you soon.
Dug Win (Common spelling)
She was over 18. Just sayin'.

And that is a NICE rifle!

Thanks for the pics buddy!

Maybe the fall of '17......

you guys wanna drive to Podunk Utah ?
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Maybe the fall of '17......

you guys wanna drive to Podunk Utah ?

Heck Yeah! What's the weather like that time of year?
Tracy,

It is a great trip. You go and I will as well towing a trailer for us to snooze in.

[Linked Image]
You are the Man!
For those of you in AZ. I've got a safari rifle shoot coming up saturday, posted on another page of this forum.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11913911#Post11913911

Poole
© 24hourcampfire