Home
Posted By: 4ager The Trump effect - 01/20/17
A good friend's company was slating lay offs of 500+ in a very rural area. That was scheduled to hit in about a month.

Last night, the lay off was called off. Domestic orders have picked up enough since Nov., and with projections for even more coming.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
in the big picture 500 jobs don't seem like a lot but I bet it seems like 500,000 to those losing the jobs.

I will be nice to buy goods manufactured here in the states again.
Posted By: 4ager Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by 12344mag
in the big picture 500 jobs don't seem like a lot but I bet it seems like 500,000 to those losing the jobs.

In an area that small, 500 jobs is YUGE.

Consider that employer makes heavy trucks. Now what's the ripple effect?
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
500 jobs feeding 500 families, so likely affecting 1000's.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
I have heard it said that for every GM employee there are 9 supporting jobs created. I would think it would be a little higher in the heavy truck industry but I don't' know that as fact.

So in the least it would mean about 5000 jobs total, not bad on Trumps first 1/2 day!
Posted By: Raeford Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by 4ager

In an area that small, 500 jobs is YUGE.

Consider that employer makes heavy trucks. Now what's the ripple effect?

500 very good paying blue collar jobs!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Damn little you can buy made in usa even if you set out to.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Damn little you can buy made in usa even if you set out to.

Yew think....
Posted By: MagMarc Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
I have family that would have been on the chopping block, they are all very relieved today!!
Go Trump!
Originally Posted by MagMarc
I have family that would have been on the chopping block, they are all very relieved today!!
Go Trump!

We know exactly what would have happened in that area had the lay off gone forward. It might have just been 500 jobs directly, but indirectly it would have crushed thousands in an area that cannot afford another gut punch.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Watch the Democrats try and play their normal game of saying "see all of Obama's economic policies turned everything around and Trump inherited it..."
For every job there, there are 3 more support jobs at other places. I hope their order board fills back up and things take off!
For every job there, there are 3 more support jobs at other places. I hope their order board fills back up and things take off!

How many were layed off 2 months ago?
300?

This most recent announcement was basically going to shut down a whole shift wasn't it?
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
... In an area that small, 500 jobs is YUGE. ...

+1000 !
Originally Posted by Raeford

300?

This most recent announcement was basically going to shut down a whole shift wasn't it?

Yes, and yes.

Those 300 should be getting a call back soon, I hope.
Posted By: Seafire Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Go Trump!

We know exactly what would have happened in that area had the lay off gone forward. It might have just been 500 jobs directly, but indirectly it would have crushed thousands in an area that cannot afford another gut punch.

This^^^^^^^^^^

For every job lost like that, it effects at least 4 other local peoples jobs.... maybe more in a rural area...

So 500 people is effecting a total of 2500 people, themselves included....

Even in a small town of 10,000, that would pretty much most of the town's workers effected one way or another...

having worked for 2 years in a GM factory during college, I can tell you there are more than 9 peripheral jobs for each in plant employee.....

Wonder if under Trump, we'll actually find out how many people are really unemployed in this country......

and the jobs he's bringing back, aren't flipping burgers or making Tacos....unlike the Obama Administrations achievements of "new jobs"....

300?

Yes, and yes.

Hopefully their orders come back up and those folks get called back soon.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
I'd love a reason to own a coal scuttle

300?

Yes, and yes.

Hopefully their orders come back up and those folks get called back soon.

They HAVE announced some new contracts that they have received within the past 3-4 days.

Betting RAAP starts ramping up production as well.
Posted By: las Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Watch the Democrats try and play their normal game of saying "see all of Obama's economic policies turned everything around and Trump inherited it..."

Oh yeah! Madam has been mentioning up to 3 times in5 minutes how oboma inherited an economy in crises. Word for word pretty much. Surely this was not a talking point put out for legacy??? Not one word about abisimal growth rate or the doubling the debt in 8 years from what it took a half dozen other presidents and 40 years to "achieve".
Posted By: krp Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
500 jobs averaging 40,000 = 20,000,000... taxes at 10% = 2,000,000 vs 500 unemployment claims... add to that all the supporting businesses and jobs.

Capitalism, private sector and street economics, it's fairly obvious.

Kent
Posted By: las Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Damned smell Chex!! MSM not madam, tho they are whores.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'd love a reason to own a coal scuttle

strange you should mention that, i have been eyeballing a couple of companies the last couple days.
Posted By: ironbender Re: The Trump effect - 01/20/17
#WINNING!
Posted By: 4ager Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17

300?

Yes, and yes.

Those previously laid off workers are being called back.

Winning...
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
Those 500 jobs will feed a vast fleet of vendors!!
Posted By: 4ager Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

Over 800 now; 500+ not laid off, 300+ recalled from an earlier layoff.

In an area of well under 40,000 total residents.

Starting salary for those jobs is above the median HOUSEHOLD income in the region.

YUGE, is an understatement.
Posted By: funshooter Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

No one in Gooberment ever bring this up.

500 jobs can help support a hole lot more out side direct contact with the company they are employed by.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
YUGE, is an understatement.

When I talked about 9 supporting jobs created for every auto worker job created I didn't even think about the jobs that would be created when those 300 start spending their monies.

You bet it's huge, Bigly!

Posted By: MagMarc Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
The county this plant is located in went 70% for Trump. We were ready to start winning wink
Posted By: okie Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
A good friend's company was slating lay offs of 500+ in a very rural area. That was scheduled to hit in about a month.

Last night, the lay off was called off. Domestic orders have picked up enough since Nov., and with projections for even more coming.

It is a pretty big deal as 500 pay checks a week turn over a few times through out the community...lotsa ripples...
Posted By: okie Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
GM had a layoff in December of a few thousand and Ford shut down their F-150 line for about a week all due to the uncertainty leading up to Nov. 8th. Goodyear did a two week shutdown around the Christmas holiday at the Lawton facility as they were overstocked with OEM tires. I understand all of that is nearly back to normal. (about 10,000 affected in the short term) ...More Trump effect...
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: The Trump effect - 01/26/17
I have heard it said that for every GM employee there are 9 supporting jobs created. I would think it would be a little higher in the heavy truck industry but I don't' know that as fact.

So in the least it would mean about 5000 jobs total, not bad on Trumps first 1/2 day!

This is about right.

500 real jobs supporting an additional 4500 service sector jobs.
© 24hourcampfire