Home
Posted By: Ringman National Anthem - 01/20/17
Jackie did one of the best renditions ever. And she turned out to be a really pretty woman.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Yep, Jackie is a sweetheart. I saw an interview with her recently. She's a very modest and beautiful young lady.

Her brother ain't a bad looking dame either....
Posted By: 1minute Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Jackie Evancho

A talent that I hope stays with her as she matures.

If not for the added warble of the high note near the end, it would have been a great performance.

When done well, it sends shivers up the spine. When singers have to do their personal interpretations with needs to show off their pipes, it leaves me angry.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by 1minute

. .If not for the added warble of the high note near the end, it would have been a great performance.

When done well, it sends shivers up the spine. When singers have to do their personal interpretations with needs to show off their pipes, it leaves me angry.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I couldn't agree with this more! ! !^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
warbling and wailing isn't singing. it's just warbling and wailing.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
I was underwhelmed by her voice. Thin and warbly. That being said, she didn't screw it up.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
I thought she was a bit off key in paces, but perhaps that's just my hearing. In her defense, it may also have been the cold weather. My wife and I looked at each other right after and we noth said, "Not that good."
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
When they played it before Obama's goodbye speech, he had his hand over his heart. We all know that that isn't his usual practice. He was preening in front of the world's cameras.
Posted By: mathman Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
OK, it's not just me being underwhelmed.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
The Anthem sung on Thursday for the entertainment, sung by the Air Force guy made me want to stand and salute.
That's the way is should be done!
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by mathman

At least nobody took a knee....
Posted By: benchman Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by mathman
She has a nice voice, but I saw it as lacking any passion. The military soloists do it better. Good, mature voices, letting 'er rip!
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by TBREW401
The Anthem sung on Thursday for the entertainment, sung by the Air Force guy made me want to stand and salute.
That's the way is should be done!

^^^^^^^
THIS

I wanted him to sing all the versus'
Posted By: sbhooper Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
I would say that the nerves got a lot of her voice. She is off the charts and I think just waivered a bit under the pressure.
Posted By: AnsonRogers Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
I don't like the warbling either but it is rare to hear the Anthem without it. This performance by Alisan Porter at the Ryder Cup last year is, in my opinion, exceptional. Take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjzBlD2NUQM
Posted By: CCCC Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
The lady did an acceptable rendition at a good tempo, without distracting theatrics and backed by as good a band as there is anywhere. It was worthy of the occasion and far better than what we hear from a lot of sport events, etc., even with the one phrasing lapse near the end.

That said, and acknowledging that many folks like and enjoy her singing, the voice is relatively thin and without a lot of richness in tone quality - and not well-supported by diaphragmatic musculature. Not a negative thing at all - simply not one of the great voices.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
I like this style here, meself

Posted By: RS308MX Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
The chick sounded good to me!
Posted By: Ringman Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I think some here were negative toward her because I posted something positive about her.
Posted By: Muffin Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Had the pleasure of singing with this little group. This was a 2008 Braves Baseball game....

https://youtu.be/ZjtX4SdkVLg

Not the best recording, too much background noise...

PS: they don't even comp you a ticket, we had buy if we wanted to stay and see the game..............
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
She was OK. Not who I would have picked, though. I'm sure she was very nervous.
Posted By: kingston Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
This is how it's done!
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I like this style here, meself

Me too. Perfectly executed rendition.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by 1minute

. .If not for the added warble of the high note near the end, it would have been a great performance.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ I couldn't agree with this more! ! !^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
warbling and wailing isn't singing. it's just warbling and wailing.

Y E S !!!

I'm sick and tired of these "artists" trying to "own" it! Sing it straight. That's the way it is supposed to be done. Anything else is disrespectful to our nation and the Anthem.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Some of you guys would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

;-{>8 I'm celebratin.
Posted By: Muffin Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Some of you guys would complain if you were hung with a new rope.

;-{>8 I'm celebratin.

I'm hung like a hawser, does that count?
Posted By: krp Re: National Anthem - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by RS308MX

I think some here were negative toward her because I posted something positive about her.

I liked her fine, I don't like gaudy renditions, she was straightforward and enjoyable to listen to.

Kent
© 24hourcampfire