Home
Ummm okay...

The controversial Super Bowl commercial for 84 Lumber about a migrant family crossing the border into the U.S. was not meant to be “pro-immigration” or a political statement at all, the company’s CEO Maggie Hardy Magerko tells PEOPLE.

Hardy Magerko, who took over ownership of her family’s $2.86 billion company in 1992, says she is a staunch supporter of President Donald Trump and believes that a border wall – which featured prominently in the TV spot – “is a need.”

“We need to keep America safe,” the 51-year-old executive tells PEOPLE. “America needs to be safe so you and I can have the liberty to talk… The wall, I think it represents, to me, security. I like security.”

Hardy Magerko says she personally helped develop the commercial and its striking imagery, but her personal beliefs don’t play into the commercial.

“This came from the heart and I didn’t do it for personal gain,” she says. “It’s not about me or my beliefs or the wall, it’s about individuals… treating people with dignity and respect.”

She adds: “My intent was to show, through the mother and daughter, that through struggles we will do anything we possibly can to make a better place for our children. If I thought the wall was negative, I wouldn’t have had the wall.”
Sounds like she got a bunch of emails. Now she thinks that somehow she just happened to have immigrants in her commercials but it had nothing to do with her political views? Tell her we ain't that stupid. The damage to her brand has already been done.
I actually believe her and thnk the reason for the ad was free press/marketing and several hundred+ jobs they need filled. In fact, I'm almost convinced Budweiser did the same. How many times have you heard the name Budweiser in the past few weeks? A TON!!

If the old adage that there's no such thing as bad press then both accomplished their goals!! This very well could be reverse selling.

As for 84 the employment URL is right on the same page as both ads. Also, read up on who her Dad who left her the company.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Sounds like she got a bunch of emails. Now she thinks that somehow she just happened to have immigrants in her commercials but it had nothing to do with her political views? Tell her we ain't that stupid. The damage to her brand has already been done.

^^^This^^^
Somthin ain't jivin Hardy.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Somthin ain't jivin Hardy.

Correct. Something ain't adding up.
Bullchit!
84 Lumber's boss bout ta get 86'd.
All aboard the FailBoat...

Travis
I sent them this: Superbowl. Commercial. You will never have my business. laugh

Sounds fishy and I don't give a damn. Illegal is illegal. Get them out and keep 'em out.
Originally Posted by byc
I actually believe her and thnk the reason for the ad was free press/marketing and several hundred+ jobs they need filled. In fact, I'm almost convinced Budweiser did the same. How many times have you heard the name Budweiser in the past few weeks? A TON!!

If the old adage that there's no such thing as bad press then both accomplished their goals!! This very well could be reverse selling.

As for 84 the employment URL is right on the same page as both ads. Also, read up on who her Dad who left her the company.

Or she could just be a lying bitch with a line of self serving crap.
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by byc

Or she could just be a lying bitch with a line of self serving crap.

You mean she's a typical CEO?

wink
Sometimes CEO should be spelled CYA...cover yo' azz.
I heard something on the radio driving in yesterday about the commercial saying it was intended to be pro-wall/pro-legal immigration. When I originally saw the commercial I couldn't really get what they were trying to say....I couldn't tell if it was pro/anti anything.
certainly wasn't presented to the public as being pro-wall before the backlash
screw her and her stupid company.
She needs to fire the Marketing Manager and hold a public flogging. That is the only way this is not going to bite her in the ass.
BullCHIT, that bitch is seeing her bonus and stock holdings tank, fu-k her.

a liberal can reverse course faster than any french tank.
Originally Posted by gunner500
BullCHIT, that bitch is seeing her bonus and stock holdings tank, fu-k her.

a liberal can reverse course faster than any french tank.

Yup, fuqk her.

"French tank" thats some funny schit bro! LMAO
You bet Mag, one forward and six reverses. grin
I disagree with all of ya!! You're just plain wrong.

BTW she is not just the CEO…she is the owner. And she ain't after YOUR business so boycott away.

Ketchup boys 'cos every one of you would fail at Marketing 101!!!
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I heard something on the radio driving in yesterday about the commercial saying it was intended to be pro-wall/pro-legal immigration. When I originally saw the commercial I couldn't really get what they were trying to say....I couldn't tell if it was pro/anti anything.

Yup!! There it is!!
A company that's been in business for 60 years, she inherits it and drives it into the ground in one night. Imagine that.
I never heard of it until this weekend. She just wants the flow of cheap labor.
Originally Posted by viking
I never heard of it until this weekend. She just wants the flow of cheap labor.

Yup and I bet she got it!!!
For some reason I keep picturing this seen from Anchorman, only its the 84Lumber boardroom after reviewing feedback on the commercial..

I don't believe for a second that the message wasn't exactly how most of us are reading it...it just backfired, bigly. I take it as a hopeful reading of the barometer that apparently enough disapproval was voiced to prompt their response.

Originally Posted by SandBilly
A company that's been in business for 60 years, she inherits it and drives it into the ground in one night. Imagine that.

Really!?

I find it hard to believe that this group thinks it has that much strength.

Care to point out any other companies that have failed as a result of the Fire or general population boycotts?

Let's see Starbucks, Heinz, Campbells, Budweiser….etc..Nope!!

Check the master Fire boycott list and then reflect back on your college micro and macro economics text books.
BYC, believe most are wondering, if you owned that company would let that commercial out? of course not.
Originally Posted by KFWA
certainly wasn't presented to the public as being pro-wall before the backlash

No, it wasn't, but I think that may have been marketing. It is a suprise twist, but that was clearly planned ahead.
The message I get, is "come through out doors and succeed, not through our windows like a house breaker." (Come legally, or not at all)
You're not comparing apples to apples. She may get cheap labor but that's not going to help her overall sales, and I have a hard time believing her customer base is the left.
BYC, believe most are wondering, if you owned that company would let that commercial out? of course not.

Depends on the result. I am there for our share holders. I realize my response disappoints many of you but it's true. You would have to be in this position to really understand.

Simply put these are different times BUT the same. A little C&C there!! grin

I wished I could tell you all what's going on in our company but that's a story for another day. For now the stock is way up and no boycotts.
Yes, it's true, I work on a farm in the dirt, thank God for that too.

Boardrooms are not for me.
Yes, it's true, I work on a farm in the dirt, thank God for that too.

Boardrooms are not for me.

Brother I am so ready for that!!!!! Soon. grin
So what specifically is so objectionable about the commercial that aired during the SuperBowl?
You'll get there in no time. smile
Her customer base is home builders not the DIY set. They open and close stores based on housing starts and aggressively market to the large builders.
I don't think the large home building corporations, that hire many illegals, will be boycotting 84 Lumber. They care about one thing, who gonna sell them the sticks and bricks for the lowest price.
Could be, hopefully they won't be able to hire those illegals before long..
Originally Posted by MadMooner
So what specifically is so objectionable about the commercial that aired during the SuperBowl?

Great question. Go to the 84 Lumber URL site and watch the full 6 minute version.

The only irony I saw is that the giant wall was there BUT the vetting was not. That could be interpreted either way!!

And again, note the jobs available URL is on the same home page.

The ad is neither dumb or genius, which makes it…………..
Originally Posted by byc

David, is you a lowyer perchance? Thet rain runnin down ma neck smells lak pizz. wink
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Yup!! There it is!!

Yeah, tell him not to be driving while under the influence, David.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by byc

David, is you a lowyer perchance? Thet rain runnin down ma neck smells lak pizz. wink

HA! No sir! Just an overly paid REDSKIN!!

Is you a Redskin perchance? Redkins ain't got no collared shirts, which wud 'splain yo' pizz consternation!! wink
wink
I think we all should boycott everything including air a water. I will not use that lumber store...

...even if we had any.
Originally Posted by Scott F
I think we all should boycott everything including air a water. I will not use that lumber store...

...even if we had any.

Nice to have you "a board" sir. And it aint no 84 board, either. grin
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Scott F

...even if we had any.

Nice to have you "a board" sir. And it aint no 84 board, either. grin

laugh laugh laugh Good one, you nailed it.
First, 84 lumber is a privately owned company. As such they don't answer to stockholders. Second they are based in rural Trump country, and if they responded any other way they wouldn't be able to drive down the road. Next, their resort, Nemacolin, hires a large percentage of immigrants, which I can say they make a concentrated effort to ensure are documented. Part of this resort is a first class sporting clay facility along with a shooting preserve which caters mostly to those who just want to shoot a Pheasant. The preserve used to be run by a great guy, who has since had health issues. Not sure what is going on with it presently.

Didn't get to see the commercial, so I can't comment on its content, but from the sounds of the comments here, it may be a fair bet to say they wouldn't have gone there if they had it to do over.

Addition: may be up that way soon and it will be interesting to see the local reaction. Joe is a local celebraty.

Good for her
We had a substaintial order of 4x4s we use for signage in our commercial real estate office placed late last week with 84. We buy in bulk and have them delivered to our sign company. I was in the owners office yesterday when he was cancelling the order and closing our account with 84. He politely let them know why.
The full commercial didn't play during the superbowl because it is over 5 minutes long. I think they were trying to get people to go to their website and see the whole commercial.

At the end the mother and daughter get to the wall and are discouraged. But discover there is a door in the wall for LEGAL immigration.

It appears to be very bad public relations, but if the entire commercial is seen and the real meaning revealed I don't have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with LEGAL immigrants who want to come here, work and make this a better place. I have no problems with a wall to keep out ILLEGAL immigrants.

The whole commercial. If you don't care to see the journey the last minute is enough to get the intended message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28

Originally Posted by JMR40
The full commercial didn't play during the superbowl because it is over 5 minutes long. I think they were trying to get people to go to their website and see the whole commercial.

At the end the mother and daughter get to the wall and are discouraged. But discover there is a door in the wall for LEGAL immigration.

It appears to be very bad public relations, but if the entire commercial is seen and the real meaning revealed I don't have a problem with it. I've never had a problem with LEGAL immigrants who want to come here, work and make this a better place. I have no problems with a wall to keep out ILLEGAL immigrants.

The whole commercial. If you don't care to see the journey the last minute is enough to get the intended message.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPo2B-vjZ28

I'm just not convinced.

Perhaps if the owner of 84 Lumber would show us her campaign donations to defeat Hillary on any level, I would be.
The whole 84 Lumber video

The reality of what the video does not show is the thousands and thousands of Mexicans lined up in front of that big door in the wall, patiently waiting to be legally processed, and this illegal mother and daughter sneak to the front of the line and slip into the country ahead of all the decent people who have been in line, waiting for years. Yeah, the 84 Lumber owner is pro Trump alright . . . she showed the big beautiful wall with the big door swinging open, and not another person in sight! Just the way Trump explained it for the past two years. wink
I would have had my marketing dept work up an ad with several generations of parents and kids building a sheds or decks promoting passing on working with your hands creating something together with pride.
These companies wading into politics and divisive issues are making a big mistake in my humble opinion. Especially if its unsolicited. Smart marketing isnt alienating 50% of the public either way you side for no good reason. Besides if 84 Lumber is primarily a wholesale operation ,Superbowl ads arent necessarily money well spent. Im not infering that she is stupid but more so there was another motivation other than selling sticks. More of a ego trip for the owner and marketing folks.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I would have had my marketing dept work up an ad with several generations of parents and kids building a sheds or decks promoting passing on working with your hands creating something together with pride.
These companies wading into politics and divisive issues are making a big mistake in my humble opinion. Especially if its unsolicited. Smart marketing isnt alienating 50% of the public either way you side for no good reason. Besides if 84 Lumber is primarily a wholesale operation ,Superbowl ads arent necessarily money well spent. Im not infering that she is stupid but more so there was another motivation other than selling sticks. More of a ego trip for the owner and marketing folks.

Controversy equals lots of attention.

Can't say they didn't get that...
It was a stupid ad as most were. The super bowl is entertainment it sucks that its being used to advance a political agenda.
If your in hollywood attention is great. But if your sellin sticks and bricks I doubt this knd of attention is a good thing.
Watched it again and I can't say the ad is promoting one view or another. It's clear as mud...which might be the point.

I do like "The will to succeed is always welcome here" at the end. Just wish it was clearly promoting that as legal immigrants with a work ethic ready to put it to use and succeed are welcome.
Joe has a shooting tournament coming again in June for the 17th time. $40,0000 in prize money is up for grabs. The Hardy Classic. He will probably lose money on the event, or at best break even.
If they knew they wanted to communicate a message celebrating legal immigration, then they certainly could have come up with a commercial that clearly indicated that.

They didn't, because they didn't want to.

I don't support a lumber store that takes its limited commercial time and spends it on a political message. Sell me lumber, not your political stance.
Used to go to them when I got tired of crooked, knotty lumber and was willing to pay a little more.

Guess I'll just stick with the crooked chit in the future.
© 24hourcampfire