Home
Sweet. Now if they would just add something that involves pummeling with blunt objects...

Mississippi considers firing squad as method of execution

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) - Mississippi lawmakers are advancing a proposal to add firing squad, electrocution and gas chamber as execution methods in case a court blocks the use of lethal injection drugs.

Republican Rep. Andy Gipson says House Bill 638 is a response to lawsuits by "liberal, left-wing radicals."

The bill passed the House amid opposition Wednesday, and moves to the Senate.

Lethal injection is Mississippi's only execution method. The state faces lawsuits claiming the drugs it plans to use would violate constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

Mississippi hasn't been able to acquire the execution drugs it once used, and it last carried out an execution in 2012.

The Death Penalty Information Center says of the 33 states with the death penalty, only Oklahoma and Utah have firing squad as an option.

From waff.com
I think hanging should be used. The rope and platform is a lot cheaper than those expensive drug cocktails.
I agree with the use of hanging. Mississippi still has a lot of oaks with strong limbs.
Why is it a vet can put a horse down with no evidence of suffering and educated people can not knock out a 200 lb criminal?
Why not use a "hot shot" of heroin?
How about a magnolia for hanging?

State tree and all....

spring blossoms would really give it some flair.
I have had some input to a different state's exploration of this approach.

The underlying problem is that they're trying to get around the pharmaceutical companies' block on sales of lethal injection drugs to state prison pharmacy inventories. So lawyers for both sides are preparing lawsuits either for or against the death penalty in several states. I've been asked some questions by some of those folks, and as a consequence I've done some medical research into the question.

In my opinion, execution by firing squad is the second-most-humane method in existence, after lethal injection. Five or six rifle bullets to the central chest/heart/mediastinum will effectively kill the recipient very quickly, with very little or no pain.

Death by hanging, electrocution, and poison gas can take a very long time in some cases. There are plenty of documented cases of failed executions involving all of these methods, and the prolonged agony of the condemned men and women cannot be dismissed lightly. Death by decapitation via guillotine is quick and certain, but the likelihood that the condemned suffers excruciating pain for several seconds before the brain shuts off from blood loss is high; and it's damn messy, much messier than shooting someone in the chest.

So if we're going to allow the State to kill criminals, firing squads are likely to become the standard method... unless the liberal executives who run the pharmaceutical companies back off from their intransigence.
That would stop some crime, maybe
Originally Posted by DocRocket

The underlying problem is that they're trying to get around the pharmaceutical companies' block on sales of lethal injection drugs to state prison pharmacy inventories. So lawyers for both sides are preparing lawsuits either for or against the death penalty in several states. I've been asked some questions by some of those folks, and as a consequence I've done some medical research into the question.

In my opinion, execution by firing squad is the second-most-humane method in existence, after lethal injection. Five or six rifle bullets to the central chest/heart/mediastinum will effectively kill the recipient very quickly, with very little or no pain.

Death by hanging, electrocution, and poison gas can take a very long time in some cases. There are plenty of documented cases of failed executions involving all of these methods, and the prolonged agony of the condemned men and women cannot be dismissed lightly. Death by decapitation via guillotine is quick and certain, but the likelihood that the condemned suffers excruciating pain for several seconds before the brain shuts off from blood loss is high; and it's damn messy, much messier than shooting someone in the chest.

So if we're going to allow the State to kill criminals, firing squads are likely to become the standard method... unless the liberal executives who run the pharmaceutical companies back off from their intransigence.

Personally, IDGAF about "humane". The victims of those condemned did not get a "humane" death.
Maybe they can borrow this from Nevada? grin

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11105507
It was an ordinary murder, by an ordinary man: his cousin died in a mining fire in 1911, and Andriza (or Andrija) Mircovich, feeling he got stiffed on the resulting inheritance, stabbed to death the probate attorney (a fellow South Slav named Gregorovich).

The execution, however, was extraordinary — and has never in history been repeated.

The march of science had lately made possible whole new methods of execution heretofore uncontemplated — like electricity and poison gas. At the same time, mechanical engineering had improved old standbys like beheading and hanging from slipshod, error-prone affairs to efficient operations worthy of an age of industry.

Somewhere between those categories lies the firing squad. Firearms, of course, were new technology relative to the noose and a big ol’ axe, but we do find executions by shooting back to the 17th century at least.

Though the guns themselves had been updated, Nevada was forced by circumstances to do for firing squads what Dr. Guillotin had done for headsmen.

Nevada law at the time allowed inmates to choose between hanging and shooting. The state had all the accoutrement for the former, but it hadn’t ever conducted one of the latter. When Mircovich insisted on being shot, and prison officials couldn’t find people willing to pull the trigger, Nevada actually built a “shooting gallery of steel” — an entire contraption to automate the lethal fusillade.

The 1,000-pound gallery of steel, whose arrival caused the prison warden George Cowing to resign in horror,* consisted of a shed with three protruding mounted rifles, which would be individually sighted on the heart of the restrained prisoner and fired when guards cut a string to release a spring mechanism.

In a macabre Rube Goldberg parody, it was improved for the consciences of the guards by having three strings that would be simultaneously cut, only one of which actually triggered the gallery. A redundant layer of plausible deniability was added, since each of the three guards had aimed only one of the three rifles, by loading only two of the three guns with live ammunition.

[Linked Image]

Truthfully, if there's anybody near Carson City, Nevada with spare time some weekend, there's a group of us Savage collectors that would LOVE to see some pics of this if you can get them at the Nevada State Museum. Would love to know if the rifles still have the original Maxim silencers on them.
Now if they would just add something that involves pummeling with blunt objects...
Oh, that pesky 8th amendment!
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
I think hanging should be used. The rope and platform is a lot cheaper than those expensive drug cocktails.

ain't cheaper than a bullet
I always thought the guillotine was a pretty effective way to reach a suitable end.
Strictly mechanical, instantaneous, quick bleed out, and with a little duct tape the perp could still have the option of an open casket funeral...
Originally Posted by 1minute
Why is it a vet can put a horse down with no evidence of suffering and educated people can not knock out a 200 lb criminal?

good question
Originally Posted by RWE
How about a magnolia for hanging?

State tree and all....

spring blossoms would really give it some flair.

This^^^
As an added bonus to this method, one the greenie Obamapfaggs should rejoice over is the fact that everything is 'reusable', well except for the perp.
1,grant them a last meal
2,hook up a slow drip of whiskey
3,start their favorite movie
4,continue whiskey drip till they're dead

$100 ought to cover the expenses!

Doesn't seem very cruel
Why does the government make it so damned complicated to execute a criminal? Just put them in closed room and remove the oxygen.
Ol' Sparky had the fear of God put in those on death row. smile
nitrogen

just be sure you got the right man, it can't be taken back

Let's do this!

-Gary Gilmore
I think firing is romantic ,murder rare will go up.

P.
Originally Posted by kennyd
nitrogen

As opposed to which other capitol punishment method?

Does it kill 'em deaderer?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

You'll get the chair! That's an effective deterrent.
nitrogen

Actually nitrogen is better than something like carbon monoxide. You're already breathing 86% nitrogen mix now, bumping it up can be reversed until you get to the point of brain damage. Can't reverse electricity or bullets or a noose.
Nitrogen sounds painless, just pass out and die. If it is as good as it sounds, that would get past the legal issue concerning "cruel punishment" and would not need to be administered by a doctor.

I feel the same way...at least it MIGHT convince some to take different paths...

I'm about the other way... as cruel and inhumane as you can make it for the sick bastards that deserve it.

Or yet from teh good book, simply and eye for an eye. If they lethally injected their victim fine... if they strangled em or burned em to death fine....
Great! Flintlocks and PRB would work FANTASTIC!

The aroma of blackpowder would give all spectators a view back to 1776 and a 'natural high'!!
Who cares about cruel and inhumane. What about their victims?
Just shoot them, hang them, drop from air plane at 60,000 feet up, or electrocute them. Just be done no taking care of them for 60 years. There are lots of ways to kill people quickly and cheaply.
Being from Mississippi, I am pondering how to decide which method of execution should be used:

1. Let the prisoner decide which one to die by.

2. Let the state decide which one.

3. Let the victim's family decide which one.

or

4. Let the Wheel decide (as in Barter City on "Beyond Thunderdome". With this option, their could be a lottery where people choose and if they guessed right, a person could be chosen out of the winners group that would be able to either pull the trigger, flip the switch, pop the cyanide cylinder, or tie the hangman's knot.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Who cares about cruel and inhumane. What about their victims?
Just shoot them, hang them, drop from air plane at 60,000 feet up, or electrocute them. Just be done no taking care of them for 60 years. There are lots of ways to kill people quickly and cheaply.
drawn and quartered.
For a long time, I have thought just putting those who refuse to politely participate in civil society on an island someplace would be fitting. Drop them off and leave. Nothing more, nothing less. Patrol it so no one comes or goes and that would be the only on going expense involved.
Originally Posted by RickyD
For a long time, I have thought just putting those who refuse to politely participate in civil society on an island someplace would be fitting. Drop them off and leave. Nothing more, nothing less. Patrol it so no one comes or goes and that would be the only on going expense involved.

The British tried that. More than once.
Bring it on, "THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM" is far to worried about the rights of the felon! mad

They couldn't give a fu-k about the victims in entirely too many cases.
Originally Posted by Badgerloader
Why not use a "hot shot" of heroin?

Or forced listening to Dick Vitale call March Madness games..
Originally Posted by RickyD

Yeah that would work. Australia might be good. Oh, wait.... whistle
Originally Posted by Calhoun
nitrogen

Actually nitrogen is better than something like carbon monoxide. You're already breathing 86% nitrogen mix now, bumping it up can be reversed until you get to the point of brain damage. Can't reverse electricity or bullets or a noose.

The only reason I can think of to reverse it is to put the POS through the procedure again.
Originally Posted by ironbender
The only reason I can think of to reverse it is to put the POS through the procedure again.

There's a lot to be said for something that's immediate.

Been telling my wife for a couple of years that Nebraska just needs to go to firing squads since we can't get any of the meds that they approve for injections.
Gangnam style use a 20mm cannon.

Death by decapitation via guillotine is quick and certain, but the likelihood that the condemned suffers excruciating pain for several seconds before the brain shuts off from blood loss is high; and it's damn messy, much messier than shooting someone in the chest.

Thanks Doc!

A close friend of mine is a doc as well, though of all the medical things we've chatted about none are related to this...

Since you have researched this topic, i am confused about something.

Namely death by decapitation.

Can you help me understand how a person who is decapitated via guillotine would experience excruciating pain?

I can appreciate that having an appendage cut off would hurt (like a finger), but something as significant as completely severing the brain from the remainder of the nervous system seems pretty speedy.

When i've smashed something or seriously injured myself, i believe i've gone into shock and didn't really feel how badly i was hurt. Like cutting myself with a very sharp knife - i didn't really feel it right away.

Wouldn't decapitation be similar?

TIA
A big wood chipper with the exhaust directed into a sewer. Nearly instantaneous death if tossed in head first and no body to dispose of.
I have always felt if they would legalize public hangings on Saturday mornings I would get a mini-donut stand and take it into town...
Can you help me understand how a person who is decapitated via guillotine would experience excruciating pain?

I don't know how to answer that question, but I have read a story about Antoine Lavoisier, a frenchman and early pioneer in the field of chemistry in the late 1700s who was put to death by guillotine during the French Revolution. Ever the curious scientist, he arranged with a friend to count how many times he could blink his eyes after his head was severed. I don't know how well documented this is, but it's a good story.
If they would let me i would volunteer to pull the trigger and not lose a night of sleep.

Might even provide the ammo for the job.
Originally Posted by ecmn
I have always felt if they would legalize public hangings on Saturday mornings I would get a mini-donut stand and take it into town...

I got the beer trucks and porta-pissers! grin
Originally Posted by gunner500

I'll take the tissue concession.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
I always thought the guillotine was a pretty effective way to reach a suitable end.
Strictly mechanical, instantaneous, quick bleed out, and with a little duct tape the perp could still have the option of an open casket funeral...

Duct tape is expensive, why not just use a wicker basket (with lid) for a casket.
How many cattle do we humanely kill in slaughter plants with a simple pneumatic pin to the brain?

Heck, you could do a couple of hundred before lunch..... for a few pennies in electricity.
I'm sure Mississippi will do a bang up job of getting rid of em.
In public, a steam roller feet first might act as a deterrent.
Originally Posted by tcb22
I'm sure Mississippi will do a bang up job of getting rid of em.

The county I live in was part of the traveling electric chair circuit. IIRC early 1900s.
kneel them down on the courthouse steps and put a bullet in their head.
Have a lottery drawing for handloaders to whack them with experimental handloads.
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'll take the tissue concession.

Hot dogs, peanuts, get your barf [for the unaccustomed] buckets here! laugh
Originally Posted by blanket
kneel them down on the courthouse steps and put a bullet in their head.

Yes, marble is easily hosed off, blood meal makes the flowers purty too. cool
Originally Posted by 1minute
The problem is that the drug companies who make veterinary drugs won't allow their use for executions. If they would, it would greatly simplify and reduce the costs of executions.
Originally Posted by 325Abn

Death by decapitation via guillotine is quick and certain, but the likelihood that the condemned suffers excruciating pain for several seconds before the brain shuts off from blood loss is high; and it's damn messy, much messier than shooting someone in the chest.

Thanks Doc!

A close friend of mine is a doc as well, though of all the medical things we've chatted about none are related to this...

I can appreciate that having an appendage cut off would hurt (like a finger), but something as significant as completely severing the brain from the remainder of the nervous system seems pretty speedy.

When i've smashed something or seriously injured myself, i believe i've gone into shock and didn't really feel how badly i was hurt. Like cutting myself with a very sharp knife - i didn't really feel it right away.

TIA

Well, I have to admit it's all speculation on my part, but at least it's informed speculation. grin

When the guillotine blade severs the head from the neck, it cuts through structures that are very rich in pain fibers at multiple levels: skin, soft tissue, and bone. All the nerves involved connect to the brain either through the high cervical spinal cord via the cervical plexus (1st, 2nd and 3rd cervical nerve roots, primarily) or through the hypoglossal nerve, which is a cranial nerve and connects directly with the brain.

As such, rapidly cutting off the head by guillotine at about the level of the 4th cervical vertebra will set off pain impulses from ALL of those nerves. Now, the blood supply to the brain is simultaneously severed, so the brain will only be able to "feel" those pain signals for about 7 seconds before consciousness fades due to hypoxia, followed within a few minutes by full-on brain death.

And of course, when the head falls off into the basket, it will be similar to the sensation of hitting one's head/face on the ground from a height of a meter or so... not really painful, but as stunning a blow as a good punch.

So. We know that the brain remains fully functional for about 7 seconds after decapitation, and we know that all the pain sensors in the head and neck will be firing from the trauma, so it's reasonable to assume that the victim will be very much aware of his imminent death and the pain of the decapitation for the rest of his (short) life.

So there unquestionably pain, and quite probably quite severe pain. The only problem is we don't know how that pain is experienced. As you point out, sometimes deep cuts are perceived as painless for a few moments after the injury, even though we know that physiologically the pain fibers are firing full power and speed immediately upon injury. Would that apply to decapitation? There is simply no way to know. But the story of the Frenchman who made eye contact with and blinked several times for his friends suggests quite strongly that the pain is real.

Then there's the problem of blood.

After reading accounts of the Reign of Terror, and descriptions of the gore involved on the busier execution dates, it is clearly apparent that decapitation is a really messy business. It wasn't uncommon for several wagonloads of straw to be saturated with blood on execution day, and blood flowed freely in the gutters, spattered the crowd, and soaked the guillotine and the scaffold so deeply that it was never dry and the stench of death hung over the place of execution for weeks after the executions of the Terror had ended.

Think about it: about 1/3 of the output of the heart goes to the head, and we circulate about 5 litres per minute at rest, and up to 15-20 LPM with exertion. I guesstimate a cardiac output of 8-10 LPM for a condemned man, with continuing cardiac activity for 1-3 minutes post-decapitation, which means the dying corpse will spew out something like a gallon of blood, all over the guillotine and the the floor and so forth.

Just another thought to brighten your day. Ain't I just a ray of f u c king sunshine?

Thanks Doc!

TIA

Well, I have to admit it's all speculation on my part, but at least it's informed speculation. grin

When the guillotine blade severs the head from the neck, it cuts through structures that are very rich in pain fibers at multiple levels: skin, soft tissue, and bone. All the nerves involved connect to the brain either through the high cervical spinal cord via the cervical plexus (1st, 2nd and 3rd cervical nerve roots, primarily) or through the hypoglossal nerve, which is a cranial nerve and connects directly with the brain.

As such, rapidly cutting off the head by guillotine at about the level of the 4th cervical vertebra will set off pain impulses from ALL of those nerves. Now, the blood supply to the brain is simultaneously severed, so the brain will only be able to "feel" those pain signals for about 7 seconds before consciousness fades due to hypoxia, followed within a few minutes by full-on brain death.

And of course, when the head falls off into the basket, it will be similar to the sensation of hitting one's head/face on the ground from a height of a meter or so... not really painful, but as stunning a blow as a good punch.

So. We know that the brain remains fully functional for about 7 seconds after decapitation, and we know that all the pain sensors in the head and neck will be firing from the trauma, so it's reasonable to assume that the victim will be very much aware of his imminent death and the pain of the decapitation for the rest of his (short) life.

So there unquestionably pain, and quite probably quite severe pain. The only problem is we don't know how that pain is experienced. As you point out, sometimes deep cuts are perceived as painless for a few moments after the injury, even though we know that physiologically the pain fibers are firing full power and speed immediately upon injury. Would that apply to decapitation? There is simply no way to know. But the story of the Frenchman who made eye contact with and blinked several times for his friends suggests quite strongly that the pain is real.

After reading accounts of the Reign of Terror, and descriptions of the gore involved on the busier execution dates, it is clearly apparent that decapitation is a really messy business. It wasn't uncommon for several wagonloads of straw to be saturated with blood on execution day, and blood flowed freely in the gutters, spattered the crowd, and soaked the guillotine and the scaffold so deeply that it was never dry and the stench of death hung over the place of execution for weeks after the executions of the Terror had ended.

Think about it: about 1/3 of the output of the heart goes to the head, and we circulate about 5 litres per minute at rest, and up to 15-20 LPM with exertion. I guesstimate a cardiac output of 8-10 LPM for a condemned man, with continuing cardiac activity for 1-3 minutes post-decapitation, which means the dying corpse will spew out something like a gallon of blood, all over the guillotine and the the floor and so forth.

Just another thought to brighten your day. Ain't I just a ray of f u c king sunshine?

Still don't care. The victims did not get a humane death.
You're damn right 4, this GD mental masturbation over the treatment of the condemned is pure VAGINAL!
No one on the left seems to care how an innocent unborn baby experiences pain when they are aborted but worry endlessly about trash that deserves to die.
Originally Posted by MagMarc
No one on the left seems to care how an innocent unborn baby experiences pain when they are aborted but worry endlessly about trash that deserves to die.

Correct, if a child in school needs a note from home and a Dr. to take an aspirin, but needs nothing to have an abortion we got problems Marc.

That's because the left and people like Snyper will lie endlessly about an unborn baby and claim that it is neither human nor a person.

Correct, if a child in school needs a note from home and a Dr. to take an aspirin, but needs nothing to have an abortion we got problems Marc.

Very true. It's a sad state of affairs but I hope and pray it gets better. Hoping Trump gets a couple of more SC Justices in soon.

I'm all in favor of firing squads, quick, cheap, and easy.

Thanks Doc!

TIA

so if we have 2 gallon drip pan we are good to go
Originally Posted by blanket
so if we have 2 gallon drip pan we are good to go

Martha Stewart approved. laugh

[Linked Image]screen cap
© 24hourcampfire