Home
Posted By: ingwe Succinct - 02/15/17
I like to be succinct when I say things. There's a reason the english language has so many words right? Might as well use them...

Example: Yesterday I tell someone The German Shepherd won the Herding Group at Westminster. Today I tell them the German Shepherd won Best in Show. " Yeah, you told me that yesterday..."

Example: I ate way too many fish as a poor college student. I still like fish with shells and claws but I won't eat a fish with fins. " What About Halibut?"

Example: I ate way too many beans as a kid, now the only legume of any kind I will eat is a peanut. " What about lima beans?"...

And on it goes......

Or is it just that I'm a curmudgeon?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
You know my answer.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Yes.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

A slow day in Poobsville . . .
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Yes.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Yep.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by ingwe
I like to be succinct when I say things. There's a reason the english language has so many words right? Might as well use them...

Example: Yesterday I tell someone The German Shepherd won the Herding Group at Westminster. Today I tell them the German Shepherd won Best in Show. " Yeah, you told me that yesterday..."

Example: I ate way too many fish as a poor college student. I still like fish with shells and claws but I won't eat a fish with fins. " What About Halibut?"

Example: I ate way too many beans as a kid, now the only legume of any kind I will eat is a peanut. " What about lima beans?"...

And on it goes......

I would ask why you keep talking to a moron, but then realized you were talking to yourself again.
Posted By: RWE Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Those folks you should be able to smack with a dildo.

Optionally, you can use a rubber dick.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
There's a reason the english language has so many words right? Might as well use them...

Well, the English language has many points of grammar & punctuation. Might as well use them.....

You failed to capitalize the proper noun, "English". And, you failed to place a comma after "words".

I value succinct, written and spoken. I value clarity just as much. Many people do not know how to ask questions nor answer them.

How is "Down the hall, to your left" the correct answer to "Do you have a bathroom?"

Posted By: 1minute Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Have go arounds with Cookie on that. Ask a yes/no question like do you want to...., and rather than a simple answer she starts off into some dissertation on the justification for her decision.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by RWE
Those folks you should be able to smack with a dildo.

Optionally, you can use a rubber dick.

What makes you think he doesn't?
Posted By: hatari Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

And on it goes......

You are cursed with being surrounded by intellectual inferiors. Move next door to Ben Stein. Should solve the problem. wink
In a small town gas station, a guy pulled up and asked rudely "do any of you know how to get to Xtown?"

The old attendant said, "left at the light, and keep gettin it."

The guy drove off.

I said to the attendant, "But that's not the way to Xtown."

He said, "Nope, but that's the fastest way out of town..."
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have go arounds with Cookie on that. Ask a yes/now question like do you want to...., and rather than a simple answer she starts off into some dissertation on the justification for her decision.

I don't know how many times I ask my wife "So that's a Yes/No?"

Posted By: Otter Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
When I ask a question requiring only a yes or no response (or any one word answer), and get the start of a long diatribe for a response, I will stop them and remind them "I only asked what time it was, not how to build a watch."
Posted By: 1minute Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
I don't know how many times I ask my wife "So that's a Yes/No?"

and then the fight starts.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

This ^^^. His nails are sanded and polished.
Posted By: hanco Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
That post is over my head!
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I value succinct, written and spoken. I value clarity just as much. Many people do not know how to ask questions nor answer them.

How is "Down the hall, to your left" the correct answer to "Do you have a bathroom?"

Reminds me of the time I was at a hotel in Ensenada, Mexico. We're having drinks when the waitress walks up. I ask in Spanish, "Donde esta el bano?" She replies "right around the corner", apparently not impressed with my Spanish. smile
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

And on it goes......

Simple & direct usually works. But sometimes it's worth it to ask the question a little differently. Was searching resumes online, trying to find a new engineer. Found one guy who appeared to be perfect, but his resume said "will not relocate" Otherwise he was perfect.

I emailed him, asking if his "will not relocate" was still valid, as otherwise he was a great fit. It turns out, he'd just the day before decided to accept relocation. He's been here 3 days, and he may be the best guy I've hired in a long time!

Posted By: jaguartx Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Reminds me of the time I was at a hotel in Ensenada, Mexico. We're having drinks when the waitress walks up. I ask in Spanish, "Donde esta el bano?" She replies "right around the corner", apparently not impressed with my Spanish. smile

They either get pissed because you dont know meskin or they get pissed because you thought they were too stupid to know English.

You cant win.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
I think it should be "Donde es el bano?" as it's location is not a temporary thing.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Probably the original subject of Ingwe's OP doesn't know a lot about dog shows and how they're organized.

Never follow up my wife's response to a question with, "Are you sure?"

And, by the way, a couple of years ago at Westminster, Best in Show was won by a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (what every Lab wants to be when they grow up, for those of you not familiar with the breed.) Coincidentally, my boy shares a lot of blood with that dog. Also coincidentally the dog is owned by a close friend of my high school girlfriend.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Women are definitely wired different. When my wife starts a long winded reply to a simple question, I often explain I need an answer, not a story.

Down the hall on the left in reply to do you have a bathroom doesn't bother me at all. Some things are implied and usually obvious.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by cra1948
Probably the original subject of Ingwe's OP doesn't know a lot about dog shows and how they're organized.

Never follow up my wife's response to a question with, "Are you sure?"

And, by the way, a couple of years ago at Westminster, Best in Show was won by a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (what every Lab wants to be when they grow up, for those of you not familiar with the breed.) Coincidentally, my boy shares a lot of blood with that dog. Also coincidentally the dog is owned by a close friend of my high school girlfriend.

That's some funny schidt, wrong but funny nonetheless.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

Amazing how many people learn to speak English, but fail to learn how to communicate.
Posted By: The_Yetti Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Women are definitely wired different. When my wife starts a long winded reply to a simple question, I often explain I need an answer, not a story.

Down the hall on the left in reply to do you have a bathroom doesn't bother me at all. Some things are implied and usually obvious.

good to hear it's not just my wife... Many times I'll weigh asking a question on whether or not knowing the answer is worth the explanation that will go with it.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
So you prefer to answer the explicit question, not the implied one.

"Do you know what time it is?"

"Yes."
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
I'd just tell you I don't care what you like or don't like to eat. grin
Posted By: Raeford Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

"Yes."

Or

May I ask you a question?

No

"Yes."

Had a boy call my daughter at home once.

He said, "hello, is <daughter> there?

I said, "Yes" and hung up the phone.

Wife and daughter gave me grief over that.

For all future calls, he said, "Hello, this is <boy>, may I please speak to <daughter>?

I win.
Posted By: kellory Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

he was more succinct than you were, for he answered your first question and your yet unasked one with the same response. (Since he would not have given you directions to a non-existant bathroom. It's existance is implied in the vector he gave you.)
Originally Posted by kellory

he was more succinct than you were, for he answered your first question and your yet unasked one with the same response. (Since he would not have given you directions to a non-existant bathroom. It's existance is implied in the vector he gave you.)

How'd that vector work out here?

Originally Posted by RWE
In a small town gas station, a guy pulled up and asked rudely "do any of you know how to get to Xtown?"

The guy drove off.

Posted By: MadMooner Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by RWE

Originally Posted by RWE

The guy drove off.

Sounds like a dick that gave bad directions. How would a change of phrase change anything.
Succinct has its place but can be overdone. (underdone?)

"Gun for sell. Good shape."
Posted By: rost495 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

Guilty here. But I"m so used to answering a question and the next one is generally, WHY?

I've gotten to the point I explain my answer in my answer. Most folks appreciate it.

But then I tend to hate it when mom delves off into the story of how milk comes about, rather than just ask me to pick up a gallon and drop it off on the way home if I could... And I really tend to not care for chit chat.... I don't care for you calling, asking how I am, hows the weather, your wife, did you get a deer etc... WTF do you want.

Maybe I am both the problem both ways. A blossoming curmudgeon....
Posted By: las Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
[quote=1minute]Have go arounds with Cookie on that. Ask a yes/no question like do you want to...., and rather than a simple answer she starts off into some dissertation on the justification for her decision. [/quote/]

Sounds like my wife.... smile

Not to mention how her friend agrees, when she agreed, where they were, what they were doing , and possibly what clothes they were wearing.

And she wonders why I don't consult her about every little thing.... smile
I can tell the people that have never had to spend a good majority of their time on a radio, or troubleshoot over a phone, or deal with casualty situations.

There is no time for 'well, there was.....' stories. Clear and concise.

Posted By: kellory Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by RWE

Originally Posted by RWE

The guy drove off.

Sounds like a dick that gave bad directions. How would a change of phrase change anything.

Agreed. No assistance, just dick-tation.
Originally Posted by RWE

"Yes."

Had a boy call my daughter at home once.

He said, "hello, is <daughter> there?

I said, "Yes" and hung up the phone.

Wife and daughter gave me grief over that.

For all future calls, he said, "Hello, this is <boy>, may I please speak to <daughter>?

I win.

I did that with a previous wife and two hydrocephalic step children. They thought I was awful..but their demon spawn friends learned at least a little courtesy. Never could break them of eating with their hands instead of silverware....
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
If you're the kind of person that asks things like, "How would I go about building a nuclear reactor, if I was so inclined?", you probably shouldn't beitch when you don't get a two word answer.

Posted By: kingston Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
You know my answer.

Yes, you're a curmudgeon.

Originally Posted by 4ager

And on it goes......

I would ask why you keep talking to a moron, but then realized you were talking to yourself again.

I'd imagine it'd get mighty lonely, even in much more populated locales.

laugh

You just can't help yourself sometimes can you Sean?
Posted By: readonly Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Nothing succinct about the OP....only word that comes to mind with that post is obfuscation.
Posted By: 4ager Re: Succinct - 02/15/17

You just can't help yourself sometimes can you Sean?

Truth hurts?

wink

And, no, I can't. I call it a virtue. cool
Posted By: Dutch Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
People just hear what the want to hear, and answer the question not asked.

For example, order a small black coffee at Starbucks. I'll take five to one odds the answer will be 'do you want room for cream?".
Posted By: Muffin Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by Dutch
People just hear what the want to hear, and answer the question not asked.

For example, order a small black coffee at Starbucks. I'll take five to one odds the answer will be 'do you want room for cream?".

Having spent 6 years as a pilot and 24 years as an Air Traffic Controller I plead guilty. Words, all of them, have meaning. And the ones left out, were left out on purpose. If you speak them to me I will assume that you meant to use them.

Starbucks: What can I get started for you?

Me: You can start what ever you like, here's what I want you to finish!!!

They still think I am an @$$hole.... Actually I am, it's part of my charm......
Posted By: Muffin Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
It's not just Starbucks....

One slow day at the ARTCC...

FastJet: Hey Center(that's me) you got time for a question?

Me: Was that It?

FastJet: ha ha, can I have another?

Me: You just used it!

FastJet: Can I have two more?

Me: You have one left, go ahead!

A short while later someone keyed up and said 'What an @SShole'

Pilots think I am charming also.....
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Succinct - 02/15/17
Originally Posted by kid0917
I think it should be "Donde es el bano?" as it's location is not a temporary thing.

"Donde esta el baño" is correct in Spanish as it refers to a place.

"Donde es el baño: would translate more like where is the essense (being) of "el baño."

Es is a conjugate of "ser" or to be.
Estar is more complex as in this case its meaning is seen as to be here.

Originally Posted by 1minute
Have go arounds with Cookie on that. Ask a yes/no question like do you want to...., and rather than a simple answer she starts off into some dissertation on the justification for her decision.

Yep or like.....

Have you see X? Simple yes or no response needed.

You get: I don't have time to go looking for X.............................etc. smirk
Good, succinct description. So, as I understand it:

Q: "Dónde está el baño?"
A: "El baño no está aquí. Usted debe utilizar el patio trasero."

whereas:
Q: "Dónde es el baño?"
A: "En el aroma de la mierda."
Good, succinct description. So, as I understand it:

Q: "Dónde está el baño?"
A: "El baño no está aquí. Usted debe utilizar el patio trasero."

whereas:
Q: "Dónde es el baño?"
A: "En el aroma de la mierda."

In essense, yes. laugh

But should be la aroma.
Gracias. I wondered about that since nouns ending in "a" are normally feminine. I'll have to inform Google translate they screwed up. wink

Which, speaking of gender distinctions, makes me wonder why the Spanish word for sh*t is feminine...?
Gracias. I wondered about that since nouns ending in "a" are normally feminine. I'll have to inform Google translate they screwed up. wink

Which, speaking of gender distinctions, makes me wonder why the Spanish word for sh*t is feminine...?

Don't know but mierda is from French "merde" due to the French occupation of Mexico. But the more coarse words "cagada" or "quacha" probably from native words are also feminine. laugh
© 24hourcampfire