Home
Posted By: SBTCO Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
A neighbor had some mail stolen out of their mail box (attached to half a dozen other boxes, including ours). Sheriffs dept. said its been a problem for some time, most likely heroin/meth addicts hitting rural mail boxes across the county(Flathead Valley in MT). Dirt bags stealing cash, checks etc.

Looking at hiding a trail cam some where to catch the perps in the act but having never owned one would appreciate suggestions on models. Smaller the better since we are limited on options of where to hide the unit because of the lack of cover where the boxes are located.
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Bushnell Trophy Cam, or Browning Dark Ops.

Both are very small, usually on-sale on the web, and decent pictures.

Pick one with zero-glow, and catch them in the act.
Posted By: ribka Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Just get a good quality locking mail box or an in town rental.

Had the same issue and it got so bad just rented a box in town. I caught them doing it `arrested by local sheriffs and right back out again.

They'll just steal your camera

if caught they'll just get out and do it again
Posted By: old_willys Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Used trails cams at my SIL's to catch the SOB's stealing items from her porch and it worked.

There are many types of cams on the market just find one that fits your budget and you can afford to loose if the thief also takes the camera!

I found out if you can not hide it you need to mount out of reach, with the SIL it was mounted on a light pole that you needed a 12 ft ladder to reach. Thief saw it but could not reach it.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
have some fun with it.

Posted By: pal Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Just install the trail camera in a secure mailbox right next to all the others.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Originally Posted by 12344mag
have some fun with it.

LOL!

Knew a guy who lived in the city during a garbage strike. He got his moved by wrapping it in a box and leaving it in his parked and unlocked car.
A few years ago I was working in my carport when I observed a black woman walking her toddler down the road. At each mailbox the toddler would reach up, open the lid, grab the contents of the mailbox, and hand them to her, and on they'd walk to the next one. Right after the third one, I stepped out so she could see me. When she saw me, she immediately looked down at her toddler and shouted "WHAT HAVE YOU BEEN DOING??" Then slapped him, and on she went, but now at a quickened pace.

She wanted it to look like it was all him, not her, yet she didn't turn around, go back, and return the materials. She ignored me when I tried to get her attention, other than to pick up her pace some more.

I immediately called the police. They weren't the least bit interested, and recommended I call the US Postal Service. I told them I'm looking right at her, and if you come now you can catch her. Still no interest. I called the USPS and they took my information, but didn't seem interested either. By this time she was long gone.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Originally Posted by 12344mag
have some fun with it.

1/4 stick of dynamite would have been more entertaining. whistle
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Thats been a problem here since I moved here in 1995....

the town is just off of I 5, and we have plenty of transients.

We've used an in town mail service since I had been here for 30 days...

Sometimes I'd leave for one the road trips at 4 AM, and I'd drive down Hwy 99 and see them rifling thru mail boxes at that time. Stop and put your head lights on them and it didn't even phase them... in fact I think they appreciated the light so they could peruse the mail, and take what they needed....

Trail Cam wouldn't be my answer... a 45 would.
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
[Linked Image]

I would let the mailman know about it, of course...
Posted By: 1minute Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Good luck with your effort, as near all authorities will have little to no interest in helping one out.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
A few years ago I was working in my carport when I observed a black woman walking her toddler down the road. At each mailbox the toddler would reach up, open the lid, grab the contents of the mailbox, and hand them to her, and on they'd walk to the next one.

Tall toddler. Basketball player in the making. miles
Posted By: Hotload Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Originally Posted by ribka
Just get a good quality locking mail box or an in town rental.

Had the same issue and it got so bad just rented a box in town. I caught them doing it `arrested by local sheriffs and right back out again.

They'll just steal your camera

if caught they'll just get out and do it again

never ending problem mad
Originally Posted by milespatton
A few years ago I was working in my carport when I observed a black woman walking her toddler down the road. At each mailbox the toddler would reach up, open the lid, grab the contents of the mailbox, and hand them to her, and on they'd walk to the next one.

Tall toddler. Basketball player in the making. miles
He got up on his tippytoes.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
I have a PO box, had it since 1970. Important mail goes there. Dog crap comes to the house box.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Exploding!

I like it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
If you hurt someone, no telling what would happen. You might hurt there feelings.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
One of the reasons I haven't switched to mail-order pharmacy.
Posted By: mohick Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Why does any idiot ever put cash in a mail box?? Really don'r even know why there would be checks in them anymore!!!!
Posted By: T LEE Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
P O Box since the first week here, mailbox baseball, 1 inning and I did not replace it. We rented a box instead and it has been well worth it, 'sides we have had the same address for the past 43 years eve though we have changed homes 3 times.
Posted By: SBTCO Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/02/17
Thanks everybody for the suggestions. Will start with a trail cam(AH64guy I'll check out the Bushnell and Browning units) to try and catch the sob's just because, but most likely move on to a PO box. Snake in the box would be fun but only works during the warm months, just no rattlin' effect this time of year...
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/03/17
I was a rural mail carrier, and over the years dealt with several episodes of mail theft. The thieves used to target boxes on the days when the Social Security checks came out, but direct deposit has pretty much took care of that. It can be hard to catch them, as it's usually random acts. If you want to get USPS's attention on matters, just threaten to call in the news media and make it public....they don't like that, and will usually take some action.

Our daily newspaper is delivered early in the morning, and years ago, my Saturday paper was stolen for about 4 weeks in a row. We speculated someone was getting it for the weekend yard sales notices or the coupons. I called the newspaper office and was telling them about. When they told me there was nothing they could do, I told them I had two options.....first was to cancel my paper, second was to put a bomb in the box, and when the thief grabbed my paper, it would blow his hand off. That got their attention! They moved my box down in my driveway, and the thefts stopped.
Posted By: mohick Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/03/17
You put anything harmful in a mail box and you are in a lot worse trouble than the thief!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Seafire Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/03/17
Originally Posted by T LEE
P O Box since the first week here, mailbox baseball, 1 inning and I did not replace it. We rented a box instead and it has been well worth it, 'sides we have had the same address for the past 43 years eve though we have changed homes 3 times.

Kids were doing that around here a few years ago....

Our road takes a 90 degree turn beside my house... the guy across the street ( now deceased sadly) heard this was going on, and put a post the thickness of a railroad tie, on each side of his mail box.

Since this was taking place at night, guess the punks couldn't see the posts, until it was too late....

There was a broken end of a ball bat and glass on the ground next to his mail box one morning.... there were no more smashed mail boxes in the neighborhood after that...

I'm sure some punk broke more than the ball bat and glass from the car's window....cops checked the local ERs real early patient list supposedly...
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/03/17
Don't waste money on a trail camera.What would you do with the information? That isn't going to give you names or such.

Police or USPS are not going to help you

Bite the bullet and install a lockable mailbox,solve your problem and get on with life
Posted By: logger Re: Rural Mail Box Theft - 03/03/17
We put in a locking mail box right from the beginning and have been very satisfied with the result. We occasionally hear our rural neighbors complain about missing mail or bashed in mail boxes, but in 15 years we have been spared. For us, making a 32 mile round trip to the visit a PO box was something we just didn't want to do.
© 24hourcampfire