Home
We have our home and auto with AutoOwners and we are making a change. I work for a BH owned company so I'm taking a look at Geico. Anyone here have any good/bad experiences? And yes, I am aware of Buffets politics, as I said, I work for the guy.
Had em for 8 years until one day shopping around, I found I could get better coverage for half the price with allstate. Shop and compare is all you can do.
I've never had Geicko but I know many that have and they have NOTHING good to say about them. We've had PEMCO for 20 years and the once or twice we needed them we had zero issues. Fast, prompt and fair.

I called PEMCO to add another vehicle to our policy a couple months back and was flabbergasted that the phone was answered by a real person. The guy was friendly, white and English was his first language. He transferred me to the necessary department and that call too was answered by a real, live white guy. It took me about 2 minutes to add the vehicle and finish the phone call. After hanging up I told my wife that I couldn't believe how simple doing a simple thing was, for once.
Thanks, I will look into both of those.
I've had Geico for 20 years for auto. Never had made a claim, but I've sure sent them a good deal of money over the years.
I've got Geico and never had a problem. Car insurance only.

I took my old policy to Geico, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate and had them give me a quote. Each got to see the same declaration page from my old policy and each gave me a quote for the exact same coverage.

Geico was just under $700/6 mths
Progressive was $1,100+/6 mths
Allstate and State Farm were $1300+/6 mths

Shop around.

I would be cautious. GEICO is known in the industry for offering low liability limits and high deductibles to make them seem more competitive.
Gieco all the way been with them since I was a lowly e4, 17yrs ago easy.
They were the company i had when i started driving cars.
Back then it was called Government Employees Insurance Company.

Now days i just shop around for the best price after i check about other folks problems.

Hell i even got full coverage on my 63 Chevy PU.
Body shops in our area despise them, along with State Farm. They push really hard to use knock-off parts to repair cars, and fight every step of the way to save money on the repairs.
Not insured by them, but I do like their commercials.
Originally Posted by badger
Body shops in our area despise them, along with State Farm. They push really hard to use knock-off parts to repair cars, and fight every step of the way to save money on the repairs.

Yep in both cases, they tried that bul...t on me with a new car less than 3 mos old, wanted me to agree to used parts....I told them it had no used parts on it when I bought it new.....argued with them for a month on this matter till my lawyer buddy gave them a call with a lawsuit getting ready to be filed they paid up real quick then with genuine parts and no argument on the cost to repair.
Allstate beats them easily in my area.
Whatever you do, do NOT use Hartford......
Had them for a short bit. nothing to say really good or bad. Been with USAA since 99 and have had good experiences with them.

I had them for a long time and had to make one claim which they handled perfectly. I switched to progressive about a year and half ago because they gave me better rates. I've found you need to shop around for insurance, especially homeowners, every so many years to get the best deal. Loyalty is punished.
If you qualify, go with USAA.
Allstate gave me a combo auto/home deal , couldn't get the same deal with others.

P.
Originally Posted by OregonCoot
If you qualify, go with USAA.

That's what I hear. They have an excellent reputation and the few guys I know that have USAA swear by them.
Have them for autos. Had a total loss claim (rollover) and they paid us very well. We made money on that truck. I paid around 13k and they gave us around 18k. It was a Toyota though. For pricing, they searched in a 200 mile radius and used the dealers asking prices. I balked at the first offer and they immediately raised it a few more hundred. I think there are cheaper options though.
It's all a racket in my thinking, but a necessary evil.

Wife has Geico, no issues so far but no claims either, when she relocated once AAA tried to charge her way over what she had been paying so she made the switch to Geico.

I use an independent broker who had me switch from Progressive after a number of years with them, to Safeco. Had a deer run into the side of my truck, ran right off a road cut into the front fender. Didn't have one issue collecting with them, take it to the repair place, get it done, here's your check, thank you very much.

Good luck whoever you end up with. Hope you never have to use them.

Geno
Years ago I called them to check their rates. After all they said 15 minutes could save 15%. They quoted about 140% of what I was paying. So I never checked again.
Here in Idaho we saved $2000 a year on our 3 vehicles over previous premiums with Allstate.
It's been 3 years since we switched, $6000 saved with Geico!

Sounds crazy but it's the honest truth.
My wife has been with GEICO for about 40 years. We have been married 24 years now, and I switched to them from State Farm when tied the knot.
No problems, and a lot of good things to say about price, service and attitude.
It's funny how many consider PRICE the most important factor.
Originally Posted by 79S
Gieco all the way been with them since I was a lowly e4, 17yrs ago easy.

Times have changed. 50 years ago they wouldn't insure enlisted men. When I graduated college they offered to cover me. I told them they didn't want me then, I don't want them now.
When I was 24, with completely clean driving/accident records, I went to Farm Bureau. They were well recommended at the time. They turned me down. They wouldn't take any single person under 25, no matter what their record. I told them that it was their one chance for a good driver because if I left, I'd never be back. They would have made a lot of money off of me.
30 years with Geico, no problems. They have a good 100K extended warranty on new vehicles as well.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
My wife has been with GEICO for about 40 years. We have been married 24 years now, and I switched to them from State Farm when tied the knot.

I will second the service and attitude. That's getting hard to come by.
All I know is they spend a heck of a lot on commercials. Someone's paying for it.
They saved me around half of what I was paying to Allstate, and after several claims with deer strikes, excellent service...no complaints here.
I think people need to shop for insurance every 2 years to know how they are doing. They all start low and go up from there. Just my HO
Originally Posted by Oldman03
I've got Geico and never had a problem. Car insurance only.

I took my old policy to Geico, Progressive, State Farm and Allstate and had them give me a quote. Each got to see the same declaration page from my old policy and each gave me a quote for the exact same coverage.

Geico was just under $700/6 mths
Progressive was $1,100+/6 mths
Allstate and State Farm were $1300+/6 mths

Shop around.

This has been my long term experience and that includes some small claims. I once had an ACURA that got hit three times while it was parked in three different places. No problem.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
It's funny how many consider PRICE the most important factor.

^^^ This!
The few bucks you save with some company's will come back to bite you when you need to submit a claim.
As a repair shop owner I will not even deal with Allstate or Auto Owners insurance.
If you want a check cut fast without any hassles use Geico or Progressive. I can have a check cut within 24 hours after submitting my estimate. Hidden damage that wasn't found during the estimate, no problem, I send them a photo from my phone and they have a check in my hands the next day.
I have Geico.
I deal with lots of different insurance companies on a daily basis and know who pays claims in good faith and who does not. Although GEICO generally pays what they owe, their claims force has not kept up with their number of policies. Too much advertising and not enough claims hiring. Their service is among the worst in the business currently.

Price is not everything. You usually do get what you pay for, especially with auto insurance. Anyone who wants the skinny on which companies to go with just shoot me a pm.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

I agree with Sam.

Car and truck coverage with Geico, 11 years, so far, so good.
AMICA is the one I settled on after looking at all of them. Great prices but more importantly - great service! Had someone back into a rental carI was driving and they took care of everything and never raised my rates..
© 24hourcampfire