Home
Posted By: wabigoon Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Do you feel colder than you did when you were younger?

If I'm not rained out, I need to run an open tractor on a drill, and I'm not looking forward to it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
A little bit, wifey hotter as she gets older
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Yes ,it bothers me a little more every year.
My feet, especially. I can't get away with just wearing a pair of sweatsocks in my hunting boots anymore. Bought 1200 gr. Thinsulate boots and have to wear poly socks and better quality wool socks these days when it gets cold.

My old 800 gr. boots are now my upland boots, and I can really only wear the light stuff in early fall.
Just the opposite. Of course I am carrying a lot more insulation now than then. miles
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by milespatton
Just the opposite. Of course I am carrying a lot more insulation now than then. miles

Same here. The extra insulation sure feels good in the winter, but the summers are a lot worse.
If your feet are cold merino wool socks are your friend. Merino wool is warm, itch free and will not be too warm when the temp is warmer. I have several pair of Smartwool brand and I'm very pleased with their ability to keep my feet comfortable.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Opposite here.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Mostly my feet get cold quickly. I always wear socks, even in the house. It also amazes me to see people wear shorts in freezing temperatures.

donsm70
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Your ability to control body temp decreases - in both directions. At age 70, I don't handle heat or cold as well.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Hands and feet.
Posted By: Alamosa Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
More sensitive to both cold and heat.
Posted By: poboy Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Poor circulation I reckon.
Posted By: barm Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
You may want to check your thyroid gland. My father has to take medication to regulate his. One of his symptoms was feeling cold everywhere.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
I can't tell if I'm actually getting colder as I get older or if it is just a side effect of being in an office full of menopausal women. Walking into an office where the AC has been on 60 all night will stand you nips up and shrink your peepee in short order.
Taking BP meds can do that. I use a lot of those Toasty Toes toe warmers, .About 30 parts from Costco at $14.Hand warmers ,40 pair for $14
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Good point, I take amlodipine, and lisinopril, blood pressure meds take blame for lot's of side effects.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
I noticed being colder at age 42, I am 47 now and the AC at work freezes me. since I got on BP meds I find I am not as cold - Kinda weird...
I'm 68 and don't take any meds at all. I feel the cold more, for sure. I haven't worn insulated hunting boots in years but I had to break down and buy some last year. I'm afraid that I'll have to buy a warmer sleeping bag, too.
Yes. I murder small pigs without remorse. Armadillos too.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Your ability to control body temp decreases - in both directions. At age 70, I don't handle heat or cold as well.

This^^^^
Posted By: KC Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17

Originally Posted by Alamosa
More sensitive to both cold and heat.

Yep. This is me too.

what Rocky said
Posted By: Seafire Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
When its cold, and damp is our problem...

seems that dampness just cuts right thru you regardless...

finding what I need to cover is my head when outside... that is where I am losing body heat from...

Oregon's a good place to catch pneumonia...
Posted By: victoro Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

If I'm not rained out, I need to run an open tractor on a drill, and I'm not looking forward to it.

At age 74 I can still tolerate heat or cold as good as I ever could but now I don't see any reason to tolerate it. I wear whatever is appropriate for the weather conditions.
Posted By: Techsan Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
I just turned 40, I notice I'm getting more sensitive to cold the past year or so. I also find myself bitching about the behavior of young folks and worrying about retirement.
Posted By: Simoneaud Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Techsan
I just turned 40, I notice I'm getting more sensitive to cold the past year or so. I also find myself bitching about the behavior of young folks and worrying about retirement.

I have all of this too, I find it funny that we are are dealing with this at only 40 years old.
Yup. Lopressor does not help.
Posted By: denton Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
As my physician explained it, as we get older the idle screw on our carburetor sets itself lower and lower.
Just don't stall. You'll get real cold then.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Wife and I are 59. I'm no different than ever. My wife went through a stage where she was either hot or freezing. Never comfortable. Now it seems as if she is more sensitive to cold.

My dad died 4 years ago at 89, mom just turned 87. Once in their 80's both of them froze year round. They pretty much stopped going outside during winter unless it was a warmer than normal day.
if you keep your house at 70plus you'll always freeze outside in winter.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
at 55 i don't feel much of a difference in temperature. i can still handle the cold.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If your feet are cold merino wool socks are your friend. Merino wool is warm, itch free and will not be too warm when the temp is warmer. I have several pair of Smartwool brand and I'm very pleased with their ability to keep my feet comfortable.
I've heard those mentioned on here several times. I want to get some.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
I am old. I have no issues with getting colder though.

I have my suspicions that being born and raised in Minnesota and living here my whole life but for four years gives me a different perspective of what cold is. Maybe next year I'll get cold if global warming doesn't cook me.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Many women are especially so cursed. frown
Posted By: Idared Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
At age 73 I don't feel much, if any, colder. Many folks who feel my hands do say they feel cold though. Temps up to about 95 degrees are great as far as I am concerned. Zero or sub zero is not quite as fun as it used to be although if there is no wind it is still tolerable.

I have inherited my mother's type II diabetes and my dad's heart problems but I honestly can't really say that the meds connected with them have made me less tolerant to heat or cold.

wabigoon
I feel your pain sitting on an open station tractor while seeding. It seemed like it was almost always chilly sitting on my M Farmall while seeding wheat or oats. I often threatened to use the tractor with the cab on it but thought it might look a mite silly seeding with such a big tractor with duals on it. blush
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I love the reactions I get when I refer to this as 'girl metabolism'.
Posted By: Owl Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Oldman03

Same here. The extra insulation sure feels good in the winter, but the summers are a lot worse.

Me too. And it get's more difficult to lose the weight....
Originally Posted by ironbender

Women don't have a thermostat. Period.

I come inside in winter and the heater is set on 375*... mad
That's for the cookies, Barry!

Damn sure bakes mine. smile
Are you talking dirty now, or do you mean cookies?
laugh

As some age they get colder and make less cookies. frown

I call it "misery", cause its misery when you get no cookie.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Well, this thread has taken a worng turn at Albuquerque.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I haven't yet. It's pretty apparent with my father. The last 5-6 years (he just turned 81) he's begun wearing long johns year around often even in summer heat and complains a lot about being cold. My guess is it's either circulation or his mitochondria are dying off since they're key to the cellular ATP cycle that runs the "boiler."

I suspect it'll catch all of us someday.

Um ... how old are you?
Sometimes I feel like I am just more aware of my own body and surroundings than when I was younger. "Young and dumb" could handle hot/cold because I didn't pay attention to it.

Now I dress more appropriately and pay attention to what my body is saying before I get into trouble.

Me too.
Posted By: Starman Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
Originally Posted by Seafire
When its cold, and damp is our problem...

moist cold draws heat from the body at a much faster rate than a cold dry environment.

Originally Posted by Seafire

finding what I need to cover is my head when outside... that is where I am losing body heat from...

Head and neck insulation is very effective , add a good quality well fitted scarf.
Posted By: Sharpsman Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/18/17
I damn nigh froze to death in 1980 elk hunting in Idaho and this old body just doesn't tolerate cold as when I was 40! Stayed in hospital in Idaho Falls in 1980 3 days and once someone has hypothermia maybe the tolerance level goes away!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/19/17
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
Originally Posted by Techsan

I have all of this too, I find it funny that we are are dealing with this at only 40 years old.
Yeah.. Wait'll yer 68.. laugh

AZ is gettin' more attractive EVERY winter..
Posted By: comerade Re: Colder as You Get Older? - 04/19/17
Definitely,I am far colder these days. I live in the Canadian Rockies and wear long Johns now until May every year now. I live on land and have chores and never leave the house without a felt hat and a silk neckerchief around my neck. I tend to wear light wool packs on my feet also. Once your cold your hooped,imo.I am 59 and pretty fit...Tony
My feet seem to get cold more often, now - but if I check them with my hands, they aren't cold. I think it's a sensitivity thing.
© 24hourcampfire