Home
Saw our little male Black-Chinned hummie yesterday. He's been here a while, judging by the slowly dropping liquid in my feeder, but yesterday was the first I've laid eyes on him. Saw him again this morning, right back on his favorite surveillance perch in my yard.

I have three feeders and a small sack of nesting materials hung out in anticipation of a new brood this year. Can't wait!
Lucky!

Only time we see a hummingbird is when they are lost.

I have them all year long. I bring the feeders in overnight when it freezes.

P
I saw one last year, crossing my back yard like a bullet.
Still I have a feeder out and hope some show up. My fruit trees are starting to show flowers so maybe some will be attacted
If you have fruit trees and a feeder, they'll find you, Tracks.
Good for you! I'm still waiting. Hung my feeders out last Saturday, nothing yet. I usually don't see them until after the first week of May though. They sure are a welcome sight!
This is an older photo, but there's our little guy.

[Linked Image]
Nothing here yet. Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Mickey's little friends.
Fer goodness sakes, RR, you coulda said first hummer of the spring.
Our first one showed up yesterday, and hit the feeder mama put out 4-5 days ago.
I once titled a thread "My First Hummer" and got a lot of semi-humorous comments - from disappointed voyeurs. So I gave them the bird.
Glad yours have arrived. Mine have been here a few weeks and I do enjoy them. Keeping the ants out of the feeder is the only problem that I have. I don't mind mixing the sugar or anything else about it but the ants. Of course I have a big ant problem anyway. Every kind that you can think of from tiny ones to large black and large red ones. Even got fire ants. Not many yet but they are here. I try to keep them knocked back, but I can't wipe them out. miles
I was thinking about this the other day that it's time to put the feeders out. April is when they show up here. I love to watch the mid air dog fights.
We put our out at the camp in WV last weekend. No one showed up but I'll bet next weekend they're there.
Saw our first last week. As far as nesting materials, they have an endless supply here as my elkhounds shed.
The 'passing thru' birds came a few weeks ago. Our regulars have been fighting over the feeders for a couple weeks.
Funny thing, for us at least. Our birds here in Texas constantly fight and run one another off, seven acres and two feeders. There is never two at one of the feeders. When we are at our place in north Idaho with twelve acres and two feeders, they all seem to get along. Multiples at a given feeder. ???
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Fer goodness sakes, RR, you coulda said first hummer of the spring.

Remembering the first time I saw Micky's "1st Hummer" post.
I seen the first one yesterday morning. I put up two feeders and have 6-8 at the feeders this morning. Glad to see the little critters back.
Not to hijack the thread, but when I see a thread about hummers on here, I think of Mickey. 'Sure do miss his contributions around here. RIP Mr. Coleman.
You have ruby-throats, right Ed? They're a bit more tolerant of company than the birds we get in the West. I think ours have slimmer pickin's and therefore guard "their own" zealously.
Perky-Pet ant guard will keep ants off your feeders

Originally Posted by milespatton
Glad yours have arrived. Mine have been here a few weeks and I do enjoy them. Keeping the ants out of the feeder is the only problem that I have. I don't mind mixing the sugar or anything else about it but the ants. Of course I have a big ant problem anyway. Every kind that you can think of from tiny ones to large black and large red ones. Even got fire ants. Not many yet but they are here. I try to keep them knocked back, but I can't wipe them out. miles
Thanks, I will get some. miles
I'll bet it's another couple of weeks before they show up here in the high country. Grass is just barely greened up, daffodils are just blooming, and tulips will be about two weeks after the daffys. The blue birds and the purple martins are here though. Heck, we've had mixed snow and rain for the last two days.
© 24hourcampfire