Home
I'm still doing scope research and there seems to be some confusion about the legality of illuminated reticle scopes in some western states. Granted the articles were a few years old that I was reading,but I wondered if any of our western state members knew the rules now.
legal in Ideeehooo!
Oregon:

"Use an artificial light for hunting any
wildlife, except raccoon, bobcat and opossum
provided the light is not cast from or
attached to a motor vehicle. This includes
laser sights or any other sights which
project a beam to the target. This does not
include battery operated sights which only
light the reticle."

Oregon Big Game Regs
Originally Posted by deerstalker
legal in Ideeehooo!
This is a fairly new regulation. Just a few years ago they were prohibited.
Ohio does not allow anything that PROJECTS light from the weapon, so no lasers. But reddots are fine. (No spotlighting either)
Originally Posted by kellory
Ohio does not allow anything that PROJECTS light from the weapon, so no lasers. But reddots are fine. (No spotlighting either)

It's my understanding that's the way it is here in Kansas too.

G23
Originally Posted by G23

G23

If Ohio calls it legal, I don't see how any other state wouldn't...or is it like with the chambers allowed, may be illuminated but only with a duplex or G4 reticle (additional reticles may be allowed pending further discussion). wink
Iowa as long as it does not project a light is GTG
No
Legal in Washington and Alaska
Legal in Colorado for rifle season
Originally Posted by G23

My understanding in Kentucky as well... It is the "projecting" aspect that is restricted...
I my warden says an illuminated reticle is fine, but nothign that projects light outside of the sight or weapon (except for varmint hunting on private land)
Unless recently changed, they are illegal for big game hunting in Wyoming.
Legal in NV but unnecessary. We can't hunt in the dark. laugh wink
This may be of interest to you sir.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/where-isnt-ill-ret-legal-65867/
© 24hourcampfire