Home
Blantons burbon is mine, life's too short to drink cheap whisky

[Linked Image]
I can't top that.
Single barrel Jack Daniel's or Old Granddad BIB.

Most often just black label.
Basil Hayden
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Single barrel Jack Daniel's or Old Granddad BIB.

Most often just black label.

Old Grandad's not bad. I'm not a Jack Daniels fan but it's drinkable too....it just isn't Bourbon and I prefer Bourbon

I like Elija Craig when I can get it and Wild Turkey for a daily driver.
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked is my 2nd choice

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
How about this one!? This BS will be >5k-7k before it even makes it out of the VA ABC store's, which are regulated to sell at MSRP because they're state owned and controlled.

Pretty sure I'll never see a drop. BUT for you $$$$ drinkers!!.........BTW sold via lottery!!

Old Rip Van Winkle 25yr
Old Rip Van Winkle 25 Year Bourbon
MSRP--$1799.99
Product 020145
Size:
NEW!
This extra special, one-time bottling of Van Winkle bourbon is bottled at 100 proof and comes in a handmade glass decanter from Glencairn Crystal Studio. Each bottle is individually numbered and labeled and includes a silver stopper and certificate of authenticity, all tucked inside a wooden box made from the oak staves of the barrels that aged this unique bourbon. The barrels were distilled in the spring and fall of 1989 and stored on the lower levels of a metal-clad warehouse built in 1935 at the Van Winkle family distillery in Shively, KY.
In-Store Availability
This Product is not Currently Available in Stores Or Online.

[Linked Image]
I don't have one but try them all. Hell its not like infedelity to try something new.

Life's too short to drink one whiskey.
Mitchers
Jeffersons
Bowmans
Eagle Rare
Elijah Craig
Evan Williams
Bulleit
Buffalo Trace
BTAC
BTEC
Blantons
Weller
Elmer T

Last of the age stated/known good Kentucky Bourbons! Get them while you can because they are all headed to NAS!!! Some are already there!!

There are several others to include WT and FRC but again NAS is here. NOW!!

As you can tell I lean more toward the wheated bourbons.....
Double run White liquor coming off the worm around 140 proof that's been run real slow both times. Fill up a quart jar with that and a couple of them Jack Dianels smoking chips that people at Walmart think are for BBQING and let set in the window sill till it gets a good color. Then cut her back to around 100 proof and you got something.
Posted By: rnovi Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
Buffalo Trace and Makers 46.
The more expensive whiskies seem to taste the best, but I haven't tried the most expensive whiskies, and I'm sure I never will. Dammit.

The most expensive Bourbon I've ever tasted is Basil Hayden's, and it is easily my favorite Bourbon, so far. It's only 80 proof, but it is very, very flavorful and mellow, IMO. Just a great sipper. I wouldn't think of using it as a mixer, though, mainly because it's only 80 proof. Kind of a weakling. Wild Turkey 101 is my go-to cocktail Bourbon, and it's not bad as a sipper, either, if ya got some hair on your chest.

The most expensive Scotch Whisky I've ever tasted is Caol Ila 12, and it is easily my favorite Scotch Whisky. Makes a poor mixer, though, in my experience. Salt brine, peat and band-aids seem to clash with just about everything. Ardbeg 10 yr. old Scotch, on the other hand, is fantastic as a mixer (my opinion, again), ... but costs about twice as much as Wild Turkey 101. To be fair, though, I do greatly prefer it to Wild Turkey on most days, whether as a sipper or mixer.

And then, sometimes I just want a Manhattan or Old Fashioned made with a nice Rye Whiskey, and nothing else really hits the spot. Rye seems to put me in a party mood. Must be the spices, ... kind of festive, ya know? I don't tend to think of rye whiskey as a sipper, though.
Drypowder--are you runnin a thumper to pull it that high?
I've drank a bunch of expensive whiskeys. Most of them are not worth the extra money over good old Wild Turkey. Some of them taste slightly better, but really not enough to justify the extra expense. I used to drink a lot of Bulleit. I don't think it's really any better than Wild Turkey and is slightly more expensive. That said, Bulleit is really good too.

For just downright cheap whiskey, Old Crow used to be pretty good. I wouldn't feed Evan Williams to JellO.

The best whiskey I've ever had was McKendric. I think the same stuff is now re-branded Longhorn Creek. The only problem with Longhorn Creek is the expense. McKendric was around the same price as Wild Turkey. Longhorn Creek is not.

Henry McKenna is good.
For Rye Whiskey there is none better than Rendezvous Rye by High West. It is expensive.
If your ever in a trying mood,try Evan Williams 1783 Small Batch 86 proof.It is amazingly good,smooth whiskey and the price is good too.
Woodford Reserve, but like Glenmorangie 12 year scotch better than all whiskies/bourbons.
Bushmills
Lots of inexperience here.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Lots of inexperience here.

And that could be a healthy thing.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Woodford Reserve, but like Glenmorangie 12 year scotch better than all whiskies/bourbons.
People's tastes vary, but get some plain old Wild Turkey and do a head-to-head comparison with Woodford Reserve when you haven't had any other alcohol. If you want to spend Woodford Reserve money, do the same with Longhorn Creek.
Thanks for the tip, but I don't drink very much at all.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Thanks for the tip, but I don't drink very much at all.
I do.
CHEERS!
i was surprised by evens williams 1783, bought a bottle a couple days ago so i could use some to make a honey bourbon bacon cure. its pretty good.
Posted By: RAS Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
Last time I had any alcohol was New Years and that was some type of swill rum.

When I did drink years back, I liked Crown Royal. I found that the older I get, the more booze slows me down so I ended the sauce consumption pretty much altogether.

Answer: A quality cup of coffee in a deer blind is hard to beat.
How about this one!? This BS will be >5k-7k before it even makes it out of the VA ABC store's, which are regulated to sell at MSRP because they're state owned and controlled.

Pretty sure I'll never see a drop. BUT for you $$$$ drinkers!!.........BTW sold via lottery!!

Old Rip Van Winkle 25yr

I had a chance to have a small sip of Van Winkle a year or so ago. I much prefer George Dickel 8 year old. To me the 8 is better than the 10 or the 18 (I think), by a long shot. miles
Posted By: hanco Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
Wifey loves Blackjack, so we drink that. I know where my bread gets buttered if you know what I mean.
Scotch Whisky Please.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by milespatton

Old Rip Van Winkle 25yr

I had a chance to have a small sip of Van Winkle a year or so ago. I much prefer George Dickel 8 year old. To me the 8 is better than the 10 or the 18 (I think), by a long shot. miles

Dickel is good whiskey.
I have to say that there are a lot of decent whiskey brands out there. Bourbon is the brown liquor of choice here. Just got a bottle of small batch 4Roses, and it's not bad.
Posted By: KC Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/p/2393/glenlivet-12-year-old

[Linked Image]

I've tried the older versions. But I can't tell the difference between 12 years old, 15 years and 18 years. Except for the price. Maybe I'm just not a connoisseur.

KC
My retirement job is tour guiding at Buffalo Trace Distillery so I get the chance to try some very nice whiskey.
No, I don't get freebies, but the company wants us to know our line plus the competition.
My everyday bourbon is Eagle Rare 10 year old but prefer good old Buffalo Trace for cocktails.
My special favorites are Elmer T Lee and WL Weller 12 year old.

I find I really don't like bourbon much older than about 15 years old and I don't find Pappy Van Winkle particularly special, in particular the 23. I have had several lots of Pappy 20 that was very good but I have also had some that wasn't.

Of the competition, my absolute favorite is Russel Reserve Single Barrel. It is also relatively easy to find.

My least favorite competitor is Woodford Reserve.

I really recommend going to a good bar and trying Bourbon flights to know and understand bourbon and to find what you like.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i was surprised by evens williams 1783, bought a bottle a couple days ago so i could use some to make a honey bourbon bacon cure. its pretty good.

Got a bottle of this as a gift and found it was really really good!!! I drink a little bourbon daily, usually Makers, and the WIlliams was definitely a pleasant surprise!
This one is enjoyable too, but you can't get it in the store.

[Linked Image]
Cryin shame. No Ezra Brooks AGAIN. SOME JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSIN!!! AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE!!!

Take care, Willie
Originally Posted by Steelhead

[Linked Image]

Course it probably don't get anymore AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE AS THIS!!!! LMAO

Take care, Willie
Originally Posted by wdenike

[Linked Image]

Course it probably don't get anymore AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE AS THIS!!!! LMAO

Take care, Willie
I have lots of that.
Ain't nothing apple pie about it.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
In order of preference:

Scotch. A man can spend a lifetime sampling the various offerings. I prefer the highland single malts but won't turn away a speyside or Islay.

Irish. Much like scotch there are so many to try. My favorite everyday sipper is bushmills only because it's $10 cheaper than teeling.
Basil Hayden was my deer camps drink of choice at one time. This is a picture of the camps whiskey rack, empty's on the bottom. We have 8 men in camp.

[Linked Image]

Whisky drinkers all

[Linked Image]
Evan Williams

I can't tell scotch from diesel fuel. sick
Originally Posted by Walker
The more expensive whiskies seem to taste the best, but I haven't tried the most expensive whiskies, and I'm sure I never will. Dammit.

The most expensive Bourbon I've ever tasted is Basil Hayden's, and it is easily my favorite Bourbon, so far. It's only 80 proof, but it is very, very flavorful and mellow, IMO. Just a great sipper. I wouldn't think of using it as a mixer, though, mainly because it's only 80 proof. Kind of a weakling. Wild Turkey 101 is my go-to cocktail Bourbon, and it's not bad as a sipper, either, if ya got some hair on your chest.

The most expensive Scotch Whisky I've ever tasted is Caol Ila 12, and it is easily my favorite Scotch Whisky. Makes a poor mixer, though, in my experience. Salt brine, peat and band-aids seem to clash with just about everything. Ardbeg 10 yr. old Scotch, on the other hand, is fantastic as a mixer (my opinion, again), ... but costs about twice as much as Wild Turkey 101. To be fair, though, I do greatly prefer it to Wild Turkey on most days, whether as a sipper or mixer.

And then, sometimes I just want a Manhattan or Old Fashioned made with a nice Rye Whiskey, and nothing else really hits the spot. Rye seems to put me in a party mood. Must be the spices, ... kind of festive, ya know? I don't tend to think of rye whiskey as a sipper, though.

Philistine! Mixing is what inexpensive blends are for. grin
Posted By: JRaw Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
At the moment I have on the shelf Booker's, Four Roses, Woodford, Garrison, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, and Bulleit Rye, plus a handle of Beam under the bar. Booker's is smoooth but at 129 proof, holy cow. The most expensive I have now is the Garrison; before I opened it, I tried some at a friend's and was disappointed; I'll probably gift my bottle away. Four Roses is better than you think. All told, I prefer Bulleit.

And I suppose that a Mint Julep is in order today.
Bulleit has been my choice for awhile now

I did break weak and buy a six pack of Pendleton cause the price was so cheap

Will drink it but like this have some handy as thank you gifts or last minute bday gifts etc

Used to like basil Hayden but last bottle I had meh

Tried some Elijah craig cause of you guys and liked it but a lil on the spendy side for my budget
Posted By: djs Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
I drink Jack Daniels Black.

As for Blantons bourbon:
Could I afford it - yes.
Would I afford it - no

Could i afford a new Bugatti Chiron -- yes
Would I afford a new Bugatti Chiron - no

Same in each case; I'd rather save and invest the money.
Originally Posted by kkahmann

It's depends. You can run a thumper and single run or just double run it if time and money have no meaning.

The sad truth is that most people who can cook can take a 8 or 16 gallon keg with a little copper tubing and tri clover fittings and in a couple of months make better liquor than 90% of what's for sale in the stores.
Originally Posted by mathman
Philistine! Mixing is what inexpensive blends are for. grin

I know. blush

I've tried the smoky version of Famous Grouse, but didn't care for that at all. Figured on trying some Johnnie Walker Black Label one of these days. I'm only mixing it with Vermouth and bitters (no soda pop), so I don't feel like I'm totally wasting the good stuff. Still, it would be nice to find something a little cheaper!
Ain't nothing apple pie about it.

USJM?
Originally Posted by wdenike
Cryin shame. No Ezra Brooks AGAIN. SOME JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT THEIR MISSIN!!! AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE!!!

Take care, Willie
Ezra Brooks is okay. I downed a fifth of it a couple of months back.

I've never had any Irish Whiskey that was worth a damn.
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Originally Posted by kkahmann

It's depends. You can run a thumper and single run or just double run it if time and money have no meaning.

The sad truth is that most people who can cook can take a 8 or 16 gallon keg with a little copper tubing and tri clover fittings and in a couple of months make better liquor than 90% of what's for sale in the stores.

truth, i just taught a buddy and he;s making some really good stuff now,
Posted By: krupp Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/06/17
Free...
Double run White liquor coming off the worm around 140 proof that's been run real slow both times. Fill up a quart jar with that and a couple of them Jack Dianels smoking chips that people at Walmart think are for BBQING and let set in the window sill till it gets a good color. Then cut her back to around 100 proof and you got something.

mine usually ends up at 140 when i mix it together to temper it to 110.
Originally Posted by Longhunter_1
Blantons burbon is mine, life's too short to drink cheap whisky

[Linked Image]

Here it is being bottled:
[Linked Image]

Spent 5 days in Kentucky a few weeks ago. Buffalo Trace is worth a visit. I brought 3 bottles home and picked up a couple of Weller Antique 107 when I got home.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Octomore 6.1 is a great Scotch - if you can find it.
[Linked Image]
Guess I am a low-class drinker, I mostly drink Black Velvet but for special occasions my favorite is Redbreast Irish Whiskey but it is too pricey for a daily drink.

drover
Denny I bought a bottle of that Bourbon Cream for the holidays. Thought it was a lot better than Baileys!!
Originally Posted by byc
Denny I bought a bottle of that Bourbon Cream for the holidays. Thought it was a lot better than Baileys!!

That's what we thought too. We need to do a side-by-side, but I'm pretty sure of which will win.

mine usually ends up at 140 when i mix it together to temper it to 110.

Around 140 is where I would try to put in on the wood so that's just a average. Once I got a couple of runs on my mash I would swap over to brown sugar.
Originally Posted by djs
I drink Jack Daniels Black.

As for Blantons bourbon:
Could I afford it - yes.
Would I afford it - no

Could i afford a new Bugatti Chiron -- yes
Would I afford a new Bugatti Chiron - no

Same in each case; I'd rather save and invest the money.

laughing. The car runs around $3 million, so IF you can afford that, you should not worry about a piddling bit of pocket change for a bottle of hooch. Just saying.................................. smile
I like any whiskey that is NOT bourbon. Scotch, Canadian, Irish, moonshine, or rye.
What is the big deal about proof? 80 is enough. Even a smooth 70 would be fine. If you like 100 then just drink straight alcohol. I have drank some good stuff. Can't afford the really good stuff, but Old Grandad stays up there on my list. Too bad it's not well-known. been drinking it since around the 1950's. I'm still alive, so it must be OK.
Laphroaig.
My drink of choice lately!

[Linked Image]
Vodka.
Originally Posted by Remsen
Laphroaig.

Good idea. I just poured some cask strength.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I like any whiskey that is NOT bourbon. Scotch, Canadian, Irish, moonshine, or rye.

Rock, please say no! I've got some that may change your mind. If not, we'll go another route. smile
Originally Posted by Remsen
Laphroaig.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rondrews
What is the big deal about proof? 80 is enough. Even a smooth 70 would be fine. If you like 100 then just drink straight alcohol. I have drank some good stuff. Can't afford the really good stuff, but Old Grandad stays up there on my list. Too bad it's not well-known. been drinking it since around the 1950's. I'm still alive, so it must be OK.
Proof doesn't necessarily indicate quality, but usually did, especially before all these microbatch whiskeys came out. 100 proof is only half alcohol, so that's why somebody who likes 100 or above, doesn't drink pure alcohol. Whiskey tastes different than Everclear. Whiskey is a man's drink whereas Everclear mixed with some sort of pop is a chick's drink.
Posted By: 44mc Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/07/17
ol itd crow reserve was the best tell they quit makeing
Posted By: 44mc Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/07/17
old crow reserve was the best tell they quit makeing
[Linked Image]
Hate to pay your propane bill Rog. Electric is tits. cool
thats at my buddy's, he is using my still though,
New toy. It's the only pic I have ATM.

[Linked Image]
Those are some pretty fancy still's you boys have there.
My old man's was a big pot and a cooling coil that lived in a an old gas tank.
He quit making it by the time I was about ten but I did sneak a sip from a jar in the fridge one time.
I didn't know what I was getting myself into but I guarantee you I did NOT go back for seconds. shocked

Early Times or occasionally Makers Mark.
[Linked Image]

It's hard to not like shine. I think I had for the first time when I was about 20 and have liked it ever since.
Free tops the list! wink
None
Col. E. H. Taylor small batch is mighty tasty and, at $35 a bottle here, is affordable, too. But, I like Blanton, Bookers, Basil Hayden, Bulleit, Woodford, Jim Beam, and several others, as well as highland, Islay, and Speyside scotches. Always have two bourbons and two scotches on hand to suit my tastebuds at the suitable time. One drink a day, unless my son is in. Then it's worth spending the extra bucks to restock.
None, gave up drinking back in 84' hell, quit smoking in 94'... but back then when in a formal setting and drinking it was usually dark rum over ice. sometimes light rum and water over ice. Never a mixed drink except for occasional Long Island Ice Tea's.

Phil

Lagavulin 16 or Laphroig are my favorites.

Booker's
I drank Jack Daniels for years, till hangovers drove me to Wild Turkey. Lately though, I've moved to Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey.
I'm a big fan of blended American or Canadian whiskies because they're smoother (to me) than bourbon or scotch. I really like Philadelphia or Seagram's 7 Crown whiskies.

Sherwood
How come you still guys aren't using a thumper?
They have refraction columns on them.
I prefer Irish Whiskey and specifically Glendalough Irish right now! Damn single Malt Scotch got really expensive!
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
They have refraction columns on them.

I see that, that takes the place of a worm. A thumper is a different animal.
A thumper double distills using heat from the vapor coming off the pot. Refraction columns distill the vapor multiple times as it rises, cools, and condenses and falls back down many times. Much purer distillate using a refraction column.
Originally Posted by Sherwood
I'm a big fan of blended American or Canadian whiskies because they're smoother (to me) than bourbon or scotch. I really like Philadelphia or Seagram's 7 Crown whiskies.

Sherwood

Sweet kid stuff. grin
Who has one like this? grin

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
How come you still guys aren't using [quote=WayneShaw]How come you still guys aren't using a thumper?

When your running your own there's no need for a thumper. You can make WAY more volume than you can drink.
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
New toy. It's the only pic I have ATM.

[Linked Image]

That's a good looking setup.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a 36 gallon Maple Syrup Keg yet.
Reflux column.

Could save a lotta height (and copper) by runnin a reflux coil or liebig condenser on those columns.

Could run higher proof a lot faster, too.

Would lose some of the mash flavor, though.

Depends what you're after.

The big distillers all run reflux, to varying degrees, makin more neutrals, because it's easier to control the flavor after distillation, than before.
I've got a damn nice reflex coil for 3 inch copper. Maybe I should put it in the for sale section. LOL
Posted By: byc Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/08/17
Maybe a dumb question but like beer are cooking small amounts of shine made for personal consumption legal yet?

I'd sure like to learn the art but sure don't need the law throwing me up on the 6PM local news. eek Least not until I retire.
Nope. Fed law trumps all.
I wish there was a personal exemption. Somewhere around 25 gallons a year. I would gladly pay the federal tax on 25 gallons for a limited personal use permit.
I've got a damn nice reflex coil for 3 inch copper. LOL

Maybe I'm losing something in your description, Sir.

What's a reflex coil ?

Pic ?

3 inch is all I use.
A reflux coil is copper tubing wrapped inside the column. You could do it on the outside too, but it wouldn't be as efficient.

Placed at the top of the column, water is circulated through just like the condenser on the output.

The water cools the top of the reflux column much more efficiently than using height alone.

Increases reflux, and therefore proof.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Fubarski
A reflux coil is copper tubing wrapped inside the column. You could do it on the outside too, but it wouldn't be as efficient.

Placed at the top of the column, water is circulated through just like the condenser on the output.

The water cools the top of the reflux column much more efficiently than using height alone.

[Linked Image]

Thank you for saving the trouble of explaining.

I was building a 3 inch Bokabob that was over 5 feet tall and had almost 3 feet of Chore Boys in the pipe to clean up my nasty heads and tails. The coil slide inside the top of the pipe. It's a 1 inch hard pipe with a flat wrapped coil around it over a foot long. I thought it was a work of art.

I quit running when all the Moonshine Shows started on TV and never used it.
[

[Linked Image]

It's called a reflux condenser . and is used to induce reflux such as in a fractionating column Thanks for the reply as I had a huge brain fart. Sold this one on one of the distilling websites awhile back. I'm now using Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing. Easier to work with and more surface area for greater efficiency .

[Linked Image]
[

[Linked Image]

It's called a reflux condenser . and is used to induce reflux such as in a fractionating column Thanks for the reply as I had a huge brain fart. Sold this one on one of the distilling websites awhile back. I'm now using Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing. Easier to work with and more surface area for greater efficiency .

[Linked Image]

Just imagine a 1 inch piece of copper in the middle of that, then the coil starts at the bottom comming back up to the top. The 1 inch elbow supports it at the top of the pipe. There's a bunch of surface area there.

How much did you get out of the coil if you don't mind me asking?
[ I'm now using Corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing. Easier to work with and more surface area for greater efficiency .

CSST

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's hard to not like shine. I think I had for the first time when I was about 20 and have liked it ever since.

Are you running a coil inside that freezer for your cooling water?
[

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just imagine a 1 inch piece of copper in the middle of that, then the coil starts at the bottom comming back up to the top. It's called a cold finger The 1 inch elbow supports it at the top of the pipe. There's a bunch of surface area there.

How much did you get out of the coil if you don't mind me asking?

40 bucks
[Linked Image]

Are you running a coil inside that freezer for your cooling water?
no , i just change the water out when it gets hot. the water running through the double wall on the condenser cools the vapor.

My next step was working on my Cooling water that's why I was asking about the freezer. A deep freezer full of antifreeze and a big coil of PEX tubing would be a Cadillac Setup for cooling water. I was going to run the water out of my condenser into a radiator with a DC fan, I had all the stuff but never got around to it before I quit. I just swapped water like you said. I finally tied two barrels together at the bottom pulling cold water out of one and dumping the warm water into the other one, that works pretty good. The aquarium pump kept up just fine.
no , i just change the water out when it gets hot. the water running through the double wall on the condenser cools the vapor.

Don't you have a garden hose? Or is that in the middle of nowhere?
[Linked Image]

If you did that without kinkin it, that *is* a work of art.
There is not one good reason why Americans should not be able to make their own liquor for personal consumption. There are a few bad ones , but no good ones.
I was kind of in the middle of everywhere. When you got a turkey burner going wide open in your garage the water hose through the the window and water running out the door is a bit much.
lol yes
[Linked Image]

Suger or Salt.

I'm guessing there's a smaller coil inside there also.
[Linked Image]

Suger or Salt.

I'm guessing there's a smaller coil inside there also.

No sugar or sand. Double wound over a mandrel very carefully. I have another for sale.
I'm a fan of the Evan Williams Single Barrels ... $25 -$30 well spent. Don't hate Bulliet, and kinda prefer the spicy character for mixing old fashioneds.

GE
Makers Mark and ice tonight. Out of Jack Daniels.
If whisky was a govt program, I would drink Highland Park, but since I pay, Evan Williams is amazing.
Old Grandad with a handful of peanuts dumped in and just a splash of Vlasic pickle juice.
WTH?

Thats like putting balsamic vinegar on your vanilla ice cream......heard that was good too.
Just kinda jerk'n yer chain guys.. Just how many times can you talk about whisky? How about which dental floss is best?
Hell, I am glad you straightened that out. I was about to go find some peanuts.
A GOOD Single Malt Scotch Whiskey, to bad I can't afford it often..
Just how many times can you talk about whisky? How about which dental floss is best?

If we have to tell you, you wouldn't understand. Whisky is more American than apple pie.
Old Grandad with a handful of peanuts dumped in and just a splash of Vlasic pickle juice.

Only had Old Grandad one time. It was the night of July 24, 1969, and I had just been let loose from the Army and boarded a plane at Seattle Washington. The Stewardess came by and ask if we want a drink. I asked Her what had the most Alcohol in it, and She replied Old Grandad. As I recall it was 105 proof, but it has been a long time. I was thinking that I would just get 2 drinks and it was a long way to St. Louis, where I would change planes. Now I had lucked out and flying Military standby, I got first class. The only time I ever flew first class, and the last time I was on an airplane. Any way I had my 2 drinks and the wine with supper, and after dinner brandies all the way. I was pretty buzzed by the time I got to St. Louis, but the bar was open for my hour layover. Need I say more. miles
I really like Old Grandad, but the store in town does not carry it.

The liquor store in Havre is closed on Mondays, the only day that I want to buy whiskey.
Well Jim, next time I pass through Havre, I WILL buy you a glass of Ole Grandpa..

W. Bill
Posted By: hanco Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/09/17
Whatever someone else has.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Just kinda jerk'n yer chain guys.. Just how many times can you talk about whisky? How about which dental floss is best?

POH
Bird Dog Chocolate whiskey with Coke.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I really like Old Grandad, but the store in town does not carry it.

The liquor store in Havre is closed on Mondays, the only day that I want to buy whiskey.

grin

that is so funny, it is almost Bristo-esque, and I mean that in a good way!

Sycamore
Originally Posted by Remington6MM

I bet that makes them quit bitching about the ice! grin

Sycamore
Some good ones I've had lately:

Springbank 10
Lagavulin 8
Lagavulin Distiller's Edition
Laphroaig 18

The Lagavulin DE is possibly my favorite of all time, I need to shorten the time I go between bottles.
For Rye Whiskey there is none better than Rendezvous Rye by High West. It is expensive.

Agreed, Rendezvous Rye is killer. Unique and excellent.
Bourbon: Woodford Reserve
Whisky: Talisker 18
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Bourbon: Woodford Reserve
Whisky: Talisker 18

Woodford Reserve...the Rolex of bourbons. Much better is available. smirk
You find me a better bourbon than Woddford for 19.95/bottle and I'll buy it. Yes there are better ones out there, at two or three times the price. Same for Rolex, but that's ok, I understand.....
You find me a better bourbon than Woddford for 19.95/bottle and I'll buy it. Yes there are better ones out there, at two or three times the price. Same for Rolex, but that's ok, I understand.....
It's all about experience. There are a lot of better bourbons out there. I was just kidding about the Rolex, but if you remember me in your will when you kick the bucket, I'd prefer the Zenith.

But seriously, the average guy knows about a Rolex and has never heard of Patek and some others. If you only care about status and recognition by average folk, then Rolex truly is the "Cadillac" of watches.

In bourbons, if you'll read my posts above I laid out that I think for everyday drinking, you can't beat regular Wild Turkey. I won't dispute that you get Woodford Reserve for $20, but the bottle I bought was much higher. I don't think much of Buffalo Trace, but I'd take it over Woodford Reserve. Bulleit is much better too.

Without having priced Woodford around here for several years, I'd have guessed it was in the same league with Longhorn Creek, expense wise. Longhorn Creek, though not a true bourbon, is much better.

Sorry for the blurry pics from several years back.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If I thought Rolex was a bad watch, my wife wouldn't have two of them.
Pateks are beautiful watches but they just are not as hardy as Rolex. As to bourbon, I fully realize there are better ones out there than Woodford, but not for 20 bucks which is what I pay here on the Base.
Nearing the bottom of my Woodford. Been a long journey as a sipper. Not likely to revisit as I'll probably ruin some perfectly good Coke with it.

Still looking for a daily driver. Folks around here make smoother spirits out in the shed.
Bourbon: Basil Hayden
Whisky: I don't drink enough to make an informed opinion.
Vodka: Chopin

In bourbons, if you'll read my posts above I laid out that I think for everyday drinking, you can't beat regular Wild Turkey. I won't dispute that you get Woodford Reserve for $20, but the bottle I bought was much higher. I don't think much of Buffalo Trace, but I'd take it over Woodford Reserve. Bulleit is much better too.

Without having priced Woodford around here for several years, I'd have guessed it was in the same league with Longhorn Creek, expense wise. Longhorn Creek, though not a true bourbon, is much better.

Everyone's palate is different though. I think Woodford is quite a bit better than Bulleit which I found pretty unimpressive. Price Woodford, Bulleit and Wild Turkey the same and Woodford is gonna be the clear winner for most people.

Admittedly it's been awhile since I've had Wild Turkey but I'm skeptical about a bourbon at 80 proof... or do you mean the 101?
Jefferson's Small Batch
Originally Posted by huntinaz

Everyone's palate is different though. I think Woodford is quite a bit better than Bulleit which I found pretty unimpressive. Price Woodford, Bulleit and Wild Turkey the same and Woodford is gonna be the clear winner for most people.

Admittedly it's been awhile since I've had Wild Turkey but I'm skeptical about a bourbon at 80 proof... or do you mean the 101?
Personally I don't like Woodford at any price. I drink the 101 and wasn't even aware WT came in 80 proof.
Originally Posted by Raeford
Jefferson's Small Batch

[Linked Image]
Posted By: byc Re: What's your choice in whisky - 05/10/17
do da' gun make it taste better??

Maybe good for shots?? laugh
General comment: It's all whisk(e)y. Bourbon is whiskey, Scotch is whisky, et cetera. I've noticed some in the thread making an erroneous distinction.
Another bottle of WT 101 or Rare Breed has been on my radar for awhile but lately when I'm at the getting place and notice it, only the 80 proof is available or I want something else more. Noah's Mill is probably at the top of my list of bourbons to try at the moment.
Glenmorangie! Great highland for when the weather is warmer!
Jamo
The difference between Woodford and Woodford Double Oaked, the D O'ed cost more plus it's better bourbon

"Life is too short to drink cheap whisky"

Originally Posted by huntinaz

Personally I don't like Woodford at any price. I drink the 101 and wasn't even aware WT came in 80 proof.

Thread bump instead of starting another.

After this conversation I headed to a local getting place and picked up a couple bottles of bourbon since my cabinet has been void of bourbon for a month or so and I was curious. I first bought a bottle of Jefferson;s small batch because I've never had it and when I got back to the truck noticed it is like 41.5%. Damn. Went back in and grabbed a bottle of Wild Turkey 101...

Disclaimer: bourbon is at least 3rd on my preferred distilled spirit list. Much prefer scotch and generally prefer rye to bourbon.

After a couple days of WT 101 my thoughts are as follows:

Pretty robust whiskey, classic corn and vanilla sweetness with some rye spiciness and a hefty dose of oak. The finish is pretty long but consists mostly of bitter oak. At 101 proof this one is pretty hot, it does benefit from a little water added. Overall I agree this is pretty good value for a $20 bourbon. It is certainly robust which I do admire, but it's not overly balanced or complex. The oak is just a tad overpowering for my taste. For a robust bourbon I do prefer Knob Creek at ~$25 or Booker's although Booker's is 3 times as expensive and probably not 3 times as good. Need to try that one again.

This may, however, become a fairly frequent bottle in my cabinet. It has the attributes of a great cocktail whiskey with lots of oak, rich corn and good spice-- just not the balance for an everyday sipper. Sure enough, I think WT 101 makes a killer Old Fashioned. The sugar, bitters, dilution and chill balance it out while retaining great flavor. I could drink this everyday but most often it would be in a cocktail. Most of my bourbon seems to end up in cocktails as I prefer other types of whiskies as mentioned but this one is particularly good mixed.

I'll open the bottle of Jefferson's soon. The 41.5% ABV kind of pissed me off which I suppose is unfair. I generally prefer my bourbon closer to 45%, perhaps this will change my mind. Thanks for the recommendation EthanEdwards on the WT 101, money well spent.
© 24hourcampfire