Home
Posted By: hatari MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Well, my hometown team stinks right now. Braves starting pitching has been a wreck. They hit enough, but Tehran, RA Dickey, Bartolo, Folty, and Jaime suck. I didn't expect Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine, but I didn't expect AA pitching either.

Freddie Freeman is a beast

Sun Trust Park is a hitters park

Who scouted this Eric Thames guy for Milwaukee? He's bombing.

So is Bryce Harper, but he's a prick. Somebody on the fire (BYC?) Predicted Harper to bounce back and he has so far.

Syndergaard of the Mets is an egotistical fool. Dude averaged 97 mph on his fastball last year as a starter. What does he do in the offseason? Bulks up to add 17 lbs of muscle to do what, throw harder? Crap, at some point there just isn't anymore and you don't need it. Location and change speeds off of that and it will be No hitter after No hitter. The dumb ass tears his lat? You don't tear your lat pitching, it is not a major contributor. You tear your lat in the gym and it gives out on the mound. Idiot!

Speaking of the Mets, Matt Harvey must be back to a-hole ways. They suspended him 3 games without pay for "breaking team rules". He's had 2 surgeries int he past few years and his velo is down from 96 to 91 . Mets should be worried about that.

The Reds just smoked the Giants, but I figure SF will right the ship. Cubs look tough. Cards started slow, but annihilated the Braves this week (big deal)

I haven't seen much AL, so I hope someone can fill us in.
Posted By: hanco Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Astro boys doing pretty well, their starting pitching suspect also.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Rockies off to a good start!!
Posted By: Higginez Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
You forgot about wheelie poppin Madison Bumgarner performing death defying stunts.
Posted By: smarquez Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
L.A. Dodgers always produce amazing rookies from their farm system and have the most ROY in MLB. This year Cody Bellinger will be in the running. Pitching is real good but will likely struggle just to win the division.
Posted By: 4winds Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Originally Posted by hatari
Well, my hometown team stinks right now. Braves starting pitching has been a wreck. They hit enough, but Tehran, RA Dickey, Bartolo, Folty, and Jaime suck. I didn't expect Maddux, Smoltz and Glavine, but I didn't expect AA pitching either.

Freddie Freeman is a beast

Sun Trust Park is a hitters park

Who scouted this Eric Thames guy for Milwaukee? He's bombing.

So is Bryce Harper, but he's a prick. Somebody on the fire (BYC?) Predicted Harper to bounce back and he has so far.

Syndergaard of the Mets is an egotistical fool. Dude averaged 97 mph on his fastball last year as a starter. What does he do in the offseason? Bulks up to add 17 lbs of muscle to do what, throw harder? Crap, at some point there just isn't anymore and you don't need it. Location and change speeds off of that and it will be No hitter after No hitter. The dumb ass tears his lat? You don't tear your lat pitching, it is not a major contributor. You tear your lat in the gym and it gives out on the mound. Idiot!

Speaking of the Mets, Matt Harvey must be back to a-hole ways. They suspended him 3 games without pay for "breaking team rules". He's had 2 surgeries int he past few years and his velo is down from 96 to 91 . Mets should be worried about that.

The Reds just smoked the Giants, but I figure SF will right the ship. Cubs look tough. Cards started slow, but annihilated the Braves this week (big deal)

I haven't seen much AL, so I hope someone can fill us in.

Not much of a baseball follower but enjoyed the new SunTrust Park Stadium! No longer in the ghetto (why the hell does every city build their stadiums in the worst parts of the city?) with commercial development on one side and the highway on the other, and in Cobb county is uuuge! Parking was super and traffic flow was steady and easy, which is weird to say for anywhere near/in Atlanta. The park inside was wide open; even with a lot of people the crowd was pretty thin and moved well. Also, the first stadium I've been in where every seat seemed to be a decent view, though out of fairness I wasn't in the top deck. Overall an enjoyable experience!
Posted By: Tarkio Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Reds are kicking it. I can't wait to see what they do to screw this up.
Posted By: mohick Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
None can stink as bad as the K C Royal stink this year!! Took ytill May to even get 10 wins They suck worse than any team in M L B in every stat. except loses!! at this rate 30 years won't even be close to another world series attempt!!! SUCK SUCK SUCK!!!!
Umpires looking good.
Posted By: hatari Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Originally Posted by 4winds

Not much of a baseball follower but enjoyed the new SunTrust Park Stadium! No longer in the ghetto (why the hell does every city build their stadiums in the worst parts of the city?) with commercial development on one side and the highway on the other, and in Cobb county is uuuge! Parking was super and traffic flow was steady and easy, which is weird to say for anywhere near/in Atlanta. The park inside was wide open; even with a lot of people the crowd was pretty thin and moved well. Also, the first stadium I've been in where every seat seemed to be a decent view, though out of fairness I wasn't in the top deck. Overall an enjoyable experience!

I sat in the upper deck outside of the 3rd base line and the view was excellent! I wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone who is worried about grabbing a cheap $12 ticket that you can watch the game very well from there.
Posted By: pointer Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Aaron Judge is a monster of a man playing baseball!

Looks like this year will be the year of the K and the HR...
Rockies started strong. Holding my breath waiting for the shoe to drop.

Somebody needs to check Ryan Zimmerman's urine.
Posted By: fester Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
Originally Posted by hanco
Astro boys doing pretty well, their starting pitching suspect also.

Max Stassi and his brother Brock are from Yuba city. I watched them in high school and they dominated. Max is on the astros, Brock was signed by the Phillies this year. Great young men. I run into them every now and then during the off season.

Go Oakland A's! 👍🏻
Posted By: USMC2602 Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
My Royals are atrocious so far,
Posted By: deltakid Re: MLB observations so far - 05/08/17
But don't plan on watching themn if you are not in the ROOT TV MT area. MLB, FOX, and ESPN are too busy with the Yankees, Red Sox, and the Mets to show any other team ( even though they are 2 1/2 games up on Arizona)!
Got to go to the Sunday afternoon Cards-Braves game at Sun Trust. Nice park,but there needs to be improvement in moving people from their cars to the ballpark. For a first-timer, it was a little confusing. But then, I'm a country bumpkin when I get to the city. But they were nice enough to give me 14 innings of baseball for the price of 9!
Posted By: hatari Re: MLB observations so far - 05/09/17
Things at Sun Trust will clean up after they finish the ancillary construction. However, the Pedestrian Brdige takes you right into the plaza, so can't be too dofficult even for country folk. Just follow the herd!
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: MLB observations so far - 05/09/17
I have already given up on my Rangers this year. Last year they had the best record in the AL but all those one run victories felt a lot more like luck and the odd mandatory fluke of per centages - and a lot less a well oiled machine at the time. Playoffs showed I was right and yes I called it and NO I am not surprised this year. I think it will get better but Rangers ain't contenders - except for single season strike out record for any team.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: MLB observations so far - 05/09/17
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Umpires looking good.

You shoot a 270?
That's what we did! Great weather and a good crowd was on hand. Braves came within a gnat's eyelash of winning it, but Inciarte was ruled out on a close play at first that would have allowed the winning run to score. It appeared there was still some work to be done around the edges of the place. Looking forward to going again sometime.
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
Nats sure are fun to watch. Both O & D!

Wish Max could have gone the distance tonight. One out short of a complete 9 with 13 K's in only 92 pitches. Harper is a new man too....finally!! He growed up!!

All total definitely the genuine article BUT it's Washington and that city always serves up heart breakers across the board.

Great stuff.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
Rockies are kicken azz and taken names
Yup!!!

Good quality baseball this season!!

Also, these guys got BIG all of a sudden. Some of them look like NFL players.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
Nats are something. They are loaded with talent, top to bottom.

Although I (like most Rockies fans) keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, the Rox are playing some legit baseball right now. Know it is early but they seem to have built a roster that can pose problems throughout the line-up. Bud Black is pushing all the right buttons.
Originally Posted by pinotguy

Although I (like most Rockies fans) keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, the Rox are playing some legit baseball right now. Know it is early but they seem to have built a roster that can pose problems throughout the line-up. Bud Black is pushing all the right buttons.

It's amazing what good management can do for a team.
Posted By: pinotguy Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by pinotguy

It's amazing what good management can do for a team.

Agree on the good management part. Just have to keep the Monfort's out of the way and the Rox should be in the playoff mix. There is something about having a former pitcher as your skipper that can really have a calming effect on the rotation. With all of the young arms Colorado has, having Black in the dugout has had a big impact.
Charlie Blackman just homered for the Rocks!!!

3-0 over the Cardinals!!
Posted By: add Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
The worst team in all of baseball last year is, at this juncture, leading their division.
6-0 Rocks over Cards in the 8th!!!
Astros just keep adding to the best record in MLB. Go Stro's
Posted By: StarGazer Re: MLB observations so far - 05/27/17
My team, the New York Mets, have been terrible so far. They were a world's series team two years ago and a playoff team last year. They just can't seem to avoid these large losing streaks that good teams do avoid. I have faith but they need to get back into the race before too many teams get ahead of them. They aren't going to win the NL East with the Nationals playing as well as they are.
7-0 Rockies!!!!
9-0 Rockies!!!!!
Originally Posted by 338rcm
9-0 Rockies!!!!!

10-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Saw the reels on that game. Blackmon is killing it!!
Originally Posted by byc
Saw the reels on that game. Blackmon is killing it!!
Blackmon AKA Chuck Nazty is a Beast. Plus he looks like one too!!!
Strasburg with 15 K's in 106 pitches against the Padres. Koda Glover closes it out. This kid's good. Nats just about have their pitching figured out.

Bats and defense are also coming on.

Not really a negative stat on the books for the Nats.

Good outing Men!!
Got to watch the Great Kershaw stomp a hole in my Beloved Giants at AT&T two weeks ago. Giants can't hit a lick, their pitching is trying to carry the team. Damned Rockies look like they might be the real deal!!! Always have respected Buddy Black.
Posted By: hanco Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
Astros need to make a deal for starting pitching.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
The Yankees are playing good ball for the first time in several years. They're about the only thing I like about New York.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
9-0 Rockies!!!!!

10-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And then they get blanked the following night.

Sounds just like my Cards' MO.

We got a pretty good starting rotation, but the bullpen stinks.
Posted By: 338rcm Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
Originally Posted by muleshoe
9-0 Rockies!!!!!

10-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockies didnt look to hot last night
Posted By: muleshoe Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
Just so long as we beat them darned Cubs.
Posted By: hanco Re: MLB observations so far - 05/28/17
Dallas K came back, pitched well. Do you all think Beltran will be a hall of famer??
Posted By: Barkoff Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
Giant's suck, only Posey is playing up to par.
Anytime you have a great throwing catcher hitting .338, you can overlook 7 HRs
Don;t even get me started on Madison Bultaco.
Posted By: Wyogal Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
Originally Posted by muleshoe
9-0 Rockies!!!!!

10-0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockies didnt look to hot last night

Yeah, but they held it together today.

I want to get one of their cool green caps with the camoflage pattern visor. Would be my new deer hunting "granny" cap. smile
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Nats are headed your way. Batters up at 1PM your time tomorrow. Should be a great series as always!!
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by Barkoff

Nats are headed your way. Batters up at 1PM your time tomorrow. Should be a great series as always!!

Doubt it, Nats are a strong team this year, I will be counting on them to knock off the Dodgers this year.
NL West is stacked.

Rockies having an amazing season so far.

Dbacks have been playing really well although they dropped 2 in a row to the Brewers.

Dodgers always put together a great team, which they should with Kershaw and the highest salary cap of any team in the league.

Trout, like always is killing it.

Astros are great again.

Salvador Perez has been the only shining light for the Royals.
Posted By: mohick Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
Perez is starting to suck wind now too!! This year is showing upper management's decisions are biting them in the a$$ Fire sale coming in July!! Another 30 some years Royals might get in the playoff's again ???
Posted By: strosfann Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
The Astros need to give Peacock another start to see if his interim start was a fluke! They will get McHugh back around the All-star break as well. They have the luxury of a lot of quality players in the minors that will be blocked for some time from from making it to the show so if they need to deal for a starter they have the chips to do it with. They also have the extra draft picks from the Cardinals cheating scandal. I'm dealing pretty good that we'll have a strong set of 3 starters for the playoff run.
Posted By: SKane Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
It's been a fun season thus far.
The only teams currently in first place in their respective divisions that I'd expect to be there at the end are the Nats and Astros.
Posted By: hanco Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
I hope Dallas K's arm will hold up!!
And right off the bat Zimmerman bangs home the tater!! Guy is becoming one heck of a hitter.

Someone posted they should check his urine. I'm beginning to agree.
Originally Posted by byc
And right off the bat Zimmerman bangs home the tater!! Guy is becoming one heck of a hitter.

Someone posted they should check his urine. I'm beginning to agree.

Didn't he just recently dip below .400?

Even psycho boy is having a good season, that's who needs the urine check.
HA! Psycho boy hit the weight room in the off season and piled on 20 pounds of muscle. Sure shows in his swing and connects.

He also decided to grow up and get married, which was a wake up call that he's paid to PLAY baseball. Not complain about it.

Now if he would just spend less time worrying about his hair on the field!!

BTW sure fun to watch Span play again. He's very much missed in DC. One of the really great guys playing the game.
Posted By: 2bears Re: MLB observations so far - 05/29/17
Not much Phight from the Phightn's!
WTH....Bochy has Strickland in there against the Bryce!?? Is he nuts?

buwaahahahahahahaaaaa....forget everything I just said!!

Although, Strickland might be even more psycho!! Roids!!
Sure looked intentional!!

Especially, the way Buster laid back. Almost like he knew it was coming!!
Posted By: GeoW Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Our Braves, minus John Schuerholz, will be in a long dry spell that we have seen before. 60s, 70s, 80s Braves are what I am seeing now. Actually I've not watched a game since the first game of last season. Just couldn't take no more like I used to could.

g
Posted By: Barkoff Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Originally Posted by byc
WTH....Bochy has Strickland in there against the Bryce!?? Is he nuts?

buwaahahahahahahaaaaa....forget everything I just said!!

Although, Strickland might be even more psycho!! Roids!!

Thing about Strickland is he throws real hard, but has hardly any movement on his fastball. Those boys in the show can hit hard, but not hard with good movement.

When they hit Strickland, it goes a long way. He'll never be more than an average set-up man.
Posted By: BayouRover Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Did anyone see the Astro-Twins game today in Minnesota?

The Astros were down 8-2 going into the 8th inning and they won the game 16-8. They scored 11 in the 8th and 3 in the ninth inning.
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Oh Strickland throws real hard alright. Just ask Harper who I really don't fault here.

Posted By: hatari Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Oh, that was a good one!

Harper sure knows how to win friends! He's a talent, but his hog dog attitude especially when he first came up has made him a marked man.

I recall 2013 he was hog dogging vs the Braves and Julio sent him a message

He's an awesome talent but sometimes is determined to make life difficult for himself.

Oh course, he should be used to it wink

Then there is pissing off yor teammates:

I should note I want him on my team, hot dog and all.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: MLB observations so far - 05/30/17
Originally Posted by deltakid
But don't plan on watching themn if you are not in the ROOT TV MT area. MLB, FOX, and ESPN are too busy with the Yankees, Red Sox, and the Mets to show any other team ( even though they are 2 1/2 games up on Arizona)!
I wish.
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
Buster Posey is a class act!

One of the good guys in MLB!
Posted By: rifletom Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
Well, the Dodgers aren't doing too bad. That is one heck of a very good bull pen.And, for now, they're in first!
Time will tell, of course.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
Originally Posted by byc
HA! Psycho boy hit the weight room in the off season and piled on 20 pounds of muscle. Sure shows in his swing and connects.

He also decided to grow up and get married, which was a wake up call that he's paid to PLAY baseball. Not complain about it.

Now if he would just spend less time worrying about his hair on the field!!

BTW sure fun to watch Span play again. He's very much missed in DC. One of the really great guys playing the game.

Wish he'd stop worrying about his hair, period. smile

Making it hard to maintain his man card.

Not so sure about his decision to get married. Lotta grifters out there. grin

I'd still take him on our team, though..
Posted By: MadMooner Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
Mariners any good?

I watch a few games a year at the ball park. And by watch, I mean drink beer, socialize, and eat, while a pack of third world children earn millions playing catch on a field in front of me.

Braves were fun when I was a kid in the early 90's. What ever happened to John Rocker?
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
I don't keep up with Baseball these days until the play offs start but the oldies country western radio station I listen to carries the Mariners games so I do know that the Mariners suck hard this year.
Fortunately.....I could care less about anything that comes out of WA.

Well.....cept for the Mooner......
Wish I had 10% of the talent he does.
Posted By: hatari Re: MLB observations so far - 05/31/17
No doubt. Assuming you don't have 10% of his arrogance, which is a good thing.
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 06/01/17
These Nats left coast games are killing me. Especially, the extended ones.

I need to be in bed by 10, which is the start time!!!! cry

Argh!!!!
Scherzer -- 79 strikes out of 100 pitches and goes the 9 inning distance!! Dang!

And the sweep!. Look out OAK and LA!!
Originally Posted by byc
These Nats left coast games are killing me. Especially, the extended ones.

I need to be in bed by 10, which is the start time!!!! cry

Argh!!!!

Start watching the Astro's then..... best record in baseball. All I've seen on the sports program's are the cub's.yankee's and red sox's highlights. That's until the fight..... smile Too funny, a 3 year old war resurrected.
HA! Might have to start doing that.

Nats - Astros in the big show would be a good series!!
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Mariners any good?

I watch a few games a year at the ball park. And by watch, I mean drink beer, socialize, and eat, while a pack of third world children earn millions playing catch on a field in front of me.

Braves were fun when I was a kid in the early 90's. What ever happened to John Rocker?

He changed his name to Strickland.
Originally Posted by byc
Scherzer -- 79 strikes out of 100 pitches and goes the 9 inning distance!! Dang!

And the sweep!. Look out OAK and LA!!

I knew when that guy was in Az he was going to be something special. He is a no nonsense "here's my best hit it if you can" pitcher. One of my favorites in the game today.
Scherzer is a classic drop and drive pitcher who reminds me a lot of how Tom Seaver used to pitch. Great follow-through.
Posted By: hanco Re: MLB observations so far - 06/02/17
Go Astros, I wish they would change the name back to Colt 45's
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 06/02/17
Yeah Scherzer is a first class no nonsense special pitcher. Could not believe Detroit let him go. Fister as well but he's moved on.

I love the way Max shakes off the unwanted sign and then okay's the next during his windup. All in the same motion. When he really gets going and stalks the mound he's unbeatable. Nats are lucky to have both Strasburg and Max!! AND both can hit.

Oakland this weekend and then onto the Dodgers, which will be the real test.

Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 06/03/17
Nats are just crushing it on this West coast swing. 19 hits in 8 games games and it ain't over yet. Plus the big taters just keep on coming!!!

Tonight....13-2 Nats top of the 8th. Strasburg with less than a full hand of hits and a bunch of K's.

Just keeps getting better!!!
Originally Posted by hanco
Go Astros, I wish they would change the name back to Colt 45's

Been a 'Stros fan since I was a kid in the late 60's. Just watched on TV Springer go deep against the Rangers.

As for your question about Beltran earlier about the HOF. I really hope not. And this is my opinion...I hate to see them start putting rent-a-players in there. His regular season stats are good, but not great. I just hate to see the HOF cheapened which it seems to be doing in some ways.

And if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, I'd like to ask you gentlemen a question and not trying to start a fight. Why is it that so many players during the PED era are getting shunned for the HOF vote, even if they have had no known connection to PED's and yet it seems that Pujols has never been mentioned and everyone is quite anxious to put him in the hall? And the dude is big! Just curious to the thoughts of others. What am I missing? Or has he been the face of baseball and no one wants to tarnish it?
I'm just glad to see the Twins being competitiveafter their horrific season last year. Middle relief for them is an adventure though.
Posted By: mohick Re: MLB observations so far - 06/03/17
Royals still suck, Mo. river sewage water!!!!! hahahhha
Posted By: byc Re: MLB observations so far - 06/04/17
Okay, so what's with the drums, horns, cowbells, tick tocks etc in OAK that go well into opposing batters at the plate?

Don't watch many American League games so never really noticed it before. Is this part of money ball?

Nats - Dodgers play big boy baseball this week. I know there are no tribal drums there!! smile
© 24hourcampfire