Home
Posted By: SamOlson Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Ash tree we planted about 4 years ago.

I'm not a tree expert by any stretch but something doesn't like right.

Is it just not fully 'leafed out' or is there a problem?

[Linked Image]

Leaves on the right center look fine but the majority are curled.

Two trees both of which have the same curl.
That's normal,it is just new growth stem and leaves.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Glanced at the pic, and thought you'd gone into the marijuana business, Sam! laugh
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
No, just reaction to weather extremes as the leaf was growing.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Are you 'feeding' the lawn with anything? I agree that those leaves don't look right. Perhaps it is something unique to a particular species of ash though?
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Could be aphids or psyllids
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Looks like a reaction to cool weather.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Don't be concerned at this stage Sammo, if it's an ash, it's toast in the next couple years regardless.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Thanks for the replies.

The MJ is growing out back....grin

Klik, Trugreen was applied a 3-4 weeks ago?
(before the tree had any greenery)

And that's kinda what has me worried but at the same time you think you'd really have to uber-douche the lawn before it would get to the roots?

Hell if I know.

It did freeze here off and on the last week or two as well.

Kenneth, no ash bore yet!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Good afternoon Sam, a few questions, and a statement.

One thing about asking on the "fire", you may well get a correct answer, sorting the correct answer out from all the others may be a bit hard.

What type ash tree is it? I'm fond of the ash tress, and using ash wood.
What do the underside of the curled leaves look like?

http://aces.nmsu.edu/ces/yard/2006/061706.html
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Don't know what's in Trugreen, but some trees and woody plants can be pretty sensitive to stuff... and some have root systems which lie pretty close to the surface as well. Probably not much that can be done at this point if there's a chemical problem however other than wait and hope for the best.

I do recall that Dad had a hard time growing table grapes along the edge of the garden he used to grow. They usually didn't die off, but if you got a whiff a farm herbicide in the air, or if a lawn half a block away got sprayed, that pretty much took care of the grape crop for the year.
Posted By: Gus Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
i like ash too. it's good to warm a King's slippers by.

that set of leaves in the photo look a bit curled, wilted even. have to know more than a simple photo probably. any ditches been cut close by? any kind of broad leaved herbicide been used, even if the run-off covered the tree's roots?

got a sprinkler system for the yard, and do you have plenty of running water from the well or county? if so, doing a good irrigation couldn't hurt likely. down here water is needed now because of the drought.
Posted By: Bwana_1 Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Looks normal for a young ash, especially if you had cool wet spring weather...keep an eye on it.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Behind my house are some mature ash trees. I used to have 2 big ones in my back yard. I tied a wire between them and had a dog on a chain so he could have some space to run around.
Unknown to me at the time ash trees are very sensitive to the soil being disturbed on top of the roots. Of course the dog did some digging and made himself some holes to lie down in in the shade right around the base of the trees. Killed both trees within 2 years. One of my wife's older uncles told me that everybody knows you can't bother the dirt around an ash with out killing it.
Posted By: Gus Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
yep. and then there's the chemicals that might flow through the septic system out into the drain field. but all of that's speculation, because who knows what might leach through a drain field, and who knows how sensitive a give specimen tree might be to drain field leachate.

plenty of young trees in inventory at lowes and home depot if more trees are needed to be added in the local landscape.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Thanks for all the info and replies!

Company just showed up and I will get back to this later on.
Posted By: Cretch Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Around here we are having an epidemic of Emerald Ash borers. Once in a area they will devastate every Ash around. They have killed about 15 ash trees in my Son's yard alone. This might be what Kenneth is referring to.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Originally Posted by Cretch
Around here we are having an epidemic of Emerald Ash borers. Once in a area they will devastate every Ash around. They have killed about 15 ash trees in my Son's yard alone. This might be what Kenneth is referring to.

I'm not sure if there is a single Ash tree left in Michigan, at least in this area an ways.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Yes the Ash trees are also getting hammered here in Wisconsin, few if any Ash trees will likely survive this.
I'll be knocking down two in my backyard soon.

Regarding Sam's tree, most likely frost damage.
Posted By: muleshoe Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Ash trees are just about the cleanest and purtiest shade tree around. Loved ours until the borers got 'em. Too bad.

Those curled up leaves looks pretty normal Sam, just a stage they go thru.
Posted By: saddlering Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
Paul theres ash trees up here by Cadillac, but they will all be gone with in 4-5 years! dam wood cutters are cutting the live ones for fire wood, I cut the dead one myself!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/21/17
do you pee on it after a few beers?
Very sad, that tree has, at the least, ADD, and perhaps autism.
I suggest euthanasia if it is legal in your state.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
I'd take that summitch back. wink
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Very sad, that tree has, at the least, ADD, and perhaps autism.
I suggest euthanasia if it is legal in your state.

A lot of PTSD going around these days too.

Seems it's easier than working for a living.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Does anyone want to exterminate beavers on a mile of creek bottom?

Those [bleep] have chewed down(and wasted) more nice ash trees than I care to think about.
In my experience, a damaged dam, and a shotgun at the break of day is the best cure for bothersome beavers flooding a field and plugging irrigation systems.

Some of the neighbors prefer snares if one can find a regularly traveled path.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Does anyone want to exterminate beavers on a mile of creek bottom?

Those [bleep] have chewed down(and wasted) more nice ash trees than I care to think about.

If I could head your way sometime, I would be very interested in that. No matter how many you eliminate at once, if the creek bottom is good habitat, then they will come back again.
I'm surprised a booger-eating ,tattle-tale hasn't chimed in?
Posted By: las Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Plants are resilient.

8 years ago "someone" - not me- used Roundup on rock-wall weeds. I think the Lilac is gonna eventually look good again..... tho not as it once did. smile

On our way to Hawaii from Kotzebue at Thanksgiving time '16, we took a quick overnight "check home" detour to our Soldotna house. Opened the door and a blast of maybe 160 degree air hit us - the forced air furnace had been stuck on wide open for several days, apparently. (Dodged a fricken bullet there!).

There were uncarpeted parts of the floors both upstairs and downstairs too hot to walk on in bare feet. All but three of the numerous house plants survived, many killed back to soil, and several of these are just now sprouting out again above root level.

Give it time..
I had the same curled leaves on my patmore ash trees.
They had aphids,and several apps of pesticide cleaned them out,although The leaves are damaged. And will stay that way for the year.
Posted By: sbrmike Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
I work in a sawmill. 20 years ago we cut Ash once a year if not every two years and it would only be huge trees. Back then the ball bat factory next door to us bought all of our Ash sight unseen. About 10 years ago the ball bat plant switched to Hard Maple and we have been cutting Ash like crazy ever since. Everyone is cutting their Ash before the Emerald Ash Borers get them. They are devastating to the Ash and attack the young trees first. They claim they will not morph and attack another species when the Ash are gone. You are not allowed to transport firewood more than 30 miles in PA because of the Emerald Ash Borer.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Can take years for a transplanted tree to normalize, they can even look in pretty bad shape for the first few years. Usually the bigger the transplant the longer it will take... I would cut back lawn away from trunk a ways and not water right up against it.

Phil
Posted By: hanco Re: Tree guys....(question) - 05/22/17
Do live oaks grow up there??
© 24hourcampfire