Home
Posted By: lvmiker HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
I have always been a fan of activities that stretch the known limits of human intellect and athleticism. At age 70 I can recall many great events from spacewalks to the ascent of Everest w/out oxygen. As a mountain person I see routes that I was proud to have climbed now being skiied!

Recently a world class mountain runner, skier and climber named Killian Jornet climbed from Mt. Everest base camp to the summit. He did so in 26 hours w/out ropes or oxygen. 11,249 vertical feet to the top of the world solo. I find this both amazing and inspiring.

What human achievements that occurred in your lifetime are most memorable?

mike r
Posted By: WillARights Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
...Americans rose up, off their couches and away from primetime TV, responding to the greatest threat to their freedom in 30-40? Years, and killed Hillarys Chance of sticking a dagger between their shoulder blades, and America's, in Nov.

Amazing.

(but I do respect the Everest achievement. Outstanding).
Posted By: jnyork Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
Originally Posted by WillARights
...Americans rose up, off their couches and away from primetime TV, responding to the greatest threat to their freedom in 30-40? Years, and killed Hillarys Chance of sticking a dagger between their shoulder blades, and America's, in Nov.

Amazing.

(but I do respect the Everest achievement. Outstanding).

Well said.
Posted By: hanco Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
That's amazing. Lot of dead bodies up there that can't be brought down. Tons of trash too.
Posted By: ironbender Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
Apparently that feller has a lot of first fastest climbs.
Posted By: Deflagrate Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/26/17
Man on the Moon.
Posted By: 325Abn Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/27/17
Reinhold Messner and Peter Habeler ascending Mt. Everest without supplemental oxygen.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/27/17
The ability of Mrs mag to put up with me....... grin
Posted By: nighthawk Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/27/17
"...one small step for Mankind." Considering all the obstacles that were overcome by group effort in a short amount of time and the vision and imagination and boldness of it all I can't think of anything since that's topped it. An absolute shame we didn't run with it, though we're sauntering along. Better than nothing I guess. Today the amazingness of humans is that we're reverting to indiscriminate slaughter of innocents for no rational purpose.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/27/17
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Man on the Moon.

Yes, and,BHO put a man in the ladies bathroom.
Posted By: KC Re: HUMANS CAN BE AMAZING - 05/27/17
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Recently a world class mountain runner, skier and climber named Killian Jornet climbed from Mt. Everest base camp to the summit. He did so in 26 hours w/out ropes or oxygen. 11,249 vertical feet to the top of the world solo. I find this both amazing and inspiring.

Mike:

I don't intend to belittle Killian Jornet's achievement. Anyone who successfully climbs any of the 8,000 meter peaks, with or without oxygen, has accomplished a major athletic achievement and triumph of the will. However, Jornet is not the first or even the best. Between 1970 and 1986, Reinhold Messner climbed all 14 of the 8,000 meter peaks, solo, without oxygen. Reinhold Messner

Several other climbers have climbed 8,000m peaks solo, without oxygen, including Everest.

Low oxygen content in the air at high altitude is only one of the obstacles challenging climbers on the highest mountains in the world. The primitive living conditions in the remote wilderness, extreme cold, hurricane winds, and technical climbing difficulty all contribute to a high death toll. AND now there are so many people attempting to climb Chomolungma that there are traffic jambs between base camp and the summit that can delay climbers for several hours in the "Death Zone."

KC
© 24hourcampfire