Home
A legal catch and the crowd thinks it's not legal and it gets ugly:

http://www.news-journalonline.com/n...gray-causes-stir-in-daytona-beach-shores
With the tail still swinging around. Wish it woulda connected with one of the local idiots.
I seriously doubt a bunch of beach kids would know the difference between a stingray and a manta ray or have any idea which one is legal & which one isn't. They just wanted to be thugs.
Some states have rules about harassing hunters and fishermen that are legally engaged in the lawful pursuit of fish and game. I guess Flo-rida ain't one. Some little f'ck tries to play tug-a-war with my fish or game he'll be needing a dentist after his discharge from the hospital.
Berard, who wasn’t at the scene, said the fisherman successfully got the stingray to his automobile. But while he wasn’t sure of its intended use, Berard joked: “Maybe he made some stingray soup.”

I'd like to see how he got a 300 lb stingray in his car.
stingray is not bad eating, its been sold as scallops before. one that size i don't know but smaller ones are. my buddy holds the igfa record for southern stingray.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
stingray is not bad eating, its been sold as scallops before. one that size i don't know but smaller ones are. my buddy holds the igfa record for southern stingray.

I had a friend that fished at least 3 times a week
He told me if I ever caught a Ray to take a pipe and punch holes in it and cook it up like scallops.

The Ex before she was my Ex caught about a 30 lbs. Bat ray in La Harbor and we tried filleting it before the guy told me about the pipe thingy and it did not turn out to well.
It looks like we have successfully raised an entire generation of do nothings and know nothings.

If that had been my Catch and they did what they did.

I would have been going to jail.

I have a very short fuse for Stupidity and it is getting shorter as I get older.
Gotta admit, I was hoping one of the village idiots would take that tail up the wazoo. ;-{>8
Big rays are STRONG! I've caught a few between 100 - 200 pounds, and they will put a kink in your back! I've also cleaned and eaten them. The pipe thing is a myth, the meat is in sort of bundles. Skin the wings and then separate the bundles and cut them to the desired lengths. The skin is much too tough to "punch" pieces out before skinning.

One thing, the meat seemed very "rich", doesn't take much to fill you up, and too much can cause digestive problems - or did for me. Delicious, though.

Mike
Had Raie Au Beurre Noir one time in Brussels. I'm guessing what I had was actually a small skate? VERY tasty...
Originally Posted by Snyper
Berard, who wasn’t at the scene, said the fisherman successfully got the stingray to his automobile. But while he wasn’t sure of its intended use, Berard joked: “Maybe he made some stingray soup.”

C'mon debbie downer... think!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Some states have rules about harassing hunters and fishermen that are legally engaged in the lawful pursuit of fish and game. I guess Flo-rida ain't one. Some little f'ck tries to play tug-a-war with my fish or game he'll be needing a dentist after his discharge from the hospital.

First off, it's Floriduh.

Secondly, we have such statutory provisions as well.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...RL=0300-0399/0379/Sections/0379.105.html
It would be a better world if everyone would mind their own business.

[Linked Image][/quote]
Originally Posted by add
Originally Posted by Snyper

C'mon debbie downer... think!

[Linked Image]

Shooot, I've seen 3, 18 year olds and a keg of beer ride at the same time in the trunk of a 71 Chrysler Newport before...
Would have been great if he had driven a knife into the top of the head, they would have all passed out!
If he'd decked the one punk who came up behind him and grabbed the rope, the rest of those pussies would have probably backed off. His buddy still had his meat stick in his hand, too.

Saw one under a bridge in MX where I was netting bait a few years back that was a lot bigger than that one.

I've caught hundreds of rays, never intentionally fishing for them, and have never intentionally ate one. They were always bycatch and their appearance on the scene was usually a downer, since it meant a long hard fight and time lost fishing for the targeted species. Probably ate a lot of them masquerading as scallops when I worked in beach seafood restaurants in my yute.

As Roger also mentioned, I've heard many times that they are quite edible.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Would have been great if he had driven a knife into the top of the head, they would have all passed out!

+1

After that first kid tugging on the rope was skull-stabbed, the rest would have scattered toot sweet!
Beaches attract the scrum of the earth.it always reminds me of the movie Jaws...even here people are always mad about us dragging big sharks up on a crowded beach, because "people shouldn't know that stuffs out there".
But, but food comes from the grocery store....not the ocean.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If he'd decked the one punk who came up behind him and grabbed the rope, the rest of those pussies would have probably backed off. His buddy still had his meat stick in his hand, too.

Saw one under a bridge in MX where I was netting bait a few years back that was a lot bigger than that one.

I've caught hundreds of rays, never intentionally fishing for them, and have never intentionally ate one. They were always bycatch and their appearance on the scene was usually a downer, since it meant a long hard fight and time lost fishing for the targeted species. Probably ate a lot of them masquerading as scallops when I worked in beach seafood restaurants in my yute.

As Roger also mentioned, I've heard many times that they are quite edible.

Lived by Chesapeake Bay for 30 years, and caught many rays, mostly Cow Nose. They tasted like rotted fish. They may be better in pure salt water, as opposed to brackish. I think they deal with the lack of salt in the water, by retaining urea. That would defiantly affect the flavor of the flesh. I cannot tell you how many times somebody would walk by, as I was duck hunting from a shore blind, and give me their opinion of my activity. Apparently, duck hunting on Chesapeake Bay, isn't socially acceptable anymore. Lefties are azzholes.
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
... Shooot, I've seen 3, 18 year olds and a keg of beer ride at the same time in the trunk of a 71 Chrysler Newport before...

Ditto with a '69 Plymouth Fury...
cownose rays are a top choice shark bait here. they are plankton feeders which might be part of the bad taste,
cownose rays are a top choice shark bait here. they are plankton feeders which might be part of the bad taste,

Nope on the plankton. The feed primarily on shellfish, razor clams being their favorite. Oysters and crabs are also common food, for them. No plankton. They have a dental pavement of crushers, which are quite powerful.
Originally Posted by benchman

Nope on the plankton. The feed primarily on shellfish, razor clams being their favorite. Oysters and crabs are also common food, for them. No plankton. They have a dental pavement of crushers, which are quite powerful.
then these here are different than what you have only way to catch these down her is with nets or snagging them.
Yankees go home cry

Great shark bait!!
Originally Posted by benchman

then these here are different than what you have only way to catch these down her is with nets or snagging them.

Maybe. There are different colloquial names for animals, as well as different prey targeted in different areas. Can even catch them on live bait in the Chesapeake. Cut bait works well, too. Anyways, they taste like crap! If you really want to see the lefties out in force, check out the annual skate mash in Southern Md. They call them skates, but they are Cow Nose Rays. It's a couple day event of bowfishing the Cow Nose. Lotta dead rays/blood, etc. The antis even have drones out harassing the participants. A neat trick, is to include a kid or 2 on the boat. They are not legally allowed to photograph minors. Not that laws stop them...
Originally Posted by hanco

This has my vote for post of the week.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by hanco

This has my vote for post of the week.

X1
Hank
© 24hourcampfire