Home
Posted By: stxhunter the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
http://fox8.com/2017/06/04/3-injured-in-boat-explosion-after-gas-pumped-into-fishing-rod-holder/

OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. — Three people were injured after a boat exploded while parked at a dock along the North Carolina coast, according to WECT.

According to reports, the incident happened on Friday when two people fueling the boat accidentally put 28 gallons of gas into a fishing rod holder.

Jeff Williamson told WECT he noticed a sheen of gas on the water and told them about their mistake. He advised they call a tow company instead of cranking the boat because it might cause an explosion.

When the boaters disconnected the battery cables, a spark ignited the gasoline and caused the explosion.

David Martin Jr., 40, of Charlotte; passenger Jonathan Bickett, 35, of Charlotte; and Kendrick Schwarz, 24, of Brunswick County were injured. Martin and Bickett were airlifted to a local burn clinic where they were treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Crews had the boat fire out in less than 15 minutes. A nearby restaurant and fishing center had to be temporarily evacuated.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Thats a hell of a story to tell your grandkids..........Well maybe not.
Posted By: RufusG Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
accidentally put 28 gallons of gas into a fishing rod holder.

Sooner or later someone had to try it. Classic

Next time you start to complain about some idiotic warning sign......
Posted By: MadMooner Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I saw that a couple days ago. Crazy.

Apparently the tow captain advised them to unhook the battery. I'd of told him to GFH.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by RufusG

I bet it happens more often than you'd think. Probably not 28 gallons worth.....but still. Lol.
Posted By: mudhen Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Unbelievable! Words fail me. eek
Posted By: tzone Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I saw that and LMAO.
Here, hold my beer while I gas this boat!
Posted By: jaguartx Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I smell an alcohol connection.

Well, i guess that battery spark cleared the gas fumes out.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Here, hold my beer while I gas this boat!

Hey, what's that smell? Let's play with the battery cables and see if it goes away!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I can't imagine a rod holder looking like a gas cap.
However, when I was in high school in the 60's I worked for a farmer doing haying. That was before the bale wagon was invented so it was all by hand. I noticed 2 of the guys on the other side of the field messing with the old Ford tractor. Seems they ran out of gas and neither knew where the gas cap was (under a flip-up cover). They put it in the radiator. Apparently the radiator was way low and took most of 5 gal. They had to drain the radiator on the spot.
Posted By: 17varmint Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Has there been an alien abduction lately?
Posted By: persiandog Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
> a spark ignited the gasoline and caused the explosion

I don't get it , why explosion ? and how do you put 28 gallons of fluid in there ?

I googled it and couldn't find a fishing rod holder big enough for 28 gallons.

P.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by persiandog

I don't get it , why explosion ? and how do you put 28 gallons of fluid in there ?

P.

If the rod holder had no bottom, and was mounted either into the top of a storage bin or top edge of the hull, it would indeed hold many gallons of gas...

We aren't talking about a plastic pipe type rof holder, but rather a rod holder you put the rod handle into while fishing...
Posted By: NeBassman Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Probably a flush mount rod holder, some of those come with plastic caps.

http://www.discountramps.com/flush-mount-rod-holder/p/RH-FM-C/

http://www.ioffer.com/i/plastic-flush-mount-fishing-rod-holder-boat-kayak-rod-h-617363838
Posted By: Paul_M Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17

[Linked Image]via Imgflip Meme Generator
Posted By: Owl Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Stupid is as stupid does.

Posted By: Sitka deer Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
They were lucky they had so much gas... it was likely too rich to burn efficiently. A gallon properly vaporized would have left nothing but splinters...
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
It is certainly a good thing that water is not easily ignited or some people would be doing even stupider things........ imagine what a gallon of water might do in combustion? eek
Posted By: Mikewriter Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I've heard of this happening before over the years, as well as other types of accidents while fueling. I had to run one of my charter customers off the fuel dock once because he tried to light up a smokes as we were pumping gas (not into a rod holder!). Hurt his feelings. Told me unleaded gas "wouldn't burn". I told him I was worried about the explosion from the fumes.

Mike
Posted By: slm9s Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
When I was about ten, my grandpa told me to put 5 gallons of gas into his old tractor. I hopped up onto a front wheel, took off what looked like a gas cap and got about 2 gallons in before it was full. Turns out I had opened the forward "gas cap" which turned out to be connected to the radiator! He was not pleased... smile
Posted By: Crow hunter Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by jaguartx
I smell an alcohol connection.

That was the first thing I thought. I hope there was at least, I'd hate to think they were dumb enough to do that sober.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Originally Posted by RufusG

"I'm not saying to kill all the dumasses, just remove the warning labels and let nature take her course!"
Posted By: 6mm250 Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Weekend sailors from Charlotte.

Mike
Posted By: hanco Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Russian navy
Posted By: jorgeI Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
I thought this was a jeff/meatGazer/fartbeans thread..
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
Wow. About all you can say about something like that. You would think between 3 of them somebody would've remembered they didn't get kicked in the head by a horse that morning, and are actually a walking, talking, thinking adult.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17
These same folks vote, breed, and drive..........
Posted By: KC Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/06/17

Darwin Award winner.
sick
Posted By: Calvin Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
I am surprised more boats don't blow with the below deck fuel tanks. Gas scares the chit out of me compared to diesel.
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
Many years ago I worked for a friend at his marina. Absolutely unbelieveable the sights and sounds seen when combined with week-end warrior boaters, alcohol,ropes, trailers,screaming wives, dogs and slippery surfaces.

Now if'n youse really wanna have fun gather up yer bride, the kiddies, a camera, a picnic basket and head on over to the public boat ramp for the festivities there. Garunteed you get some vids to pass onto yer grandchilluns.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
Originally Posted by persiandog

P.

Their first clue something was amiss was the problem they had in find the gas cap after topping off.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I thought this was a jeff/meatGazer/fartbeans thread..

Winner, winner....
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
I forget the exact details of the defect, but when my father took delivery of his new 31' Bertram about 1980, the tanks weren't properly closed off. He pulled over to the gas dock to top off and noticed it seemed to be taking too much fuel. When he opened the hatch cover, as was his habit before starting the engines, along with running the blowers, he found the bilge awash in gas. The manufacturer had to come and get the boat so they could clean up the mess and fix the problem. He was a key turn away from Eternity, but for his diligence about his safety checks.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
At my old marina the dock boys would hand you the nozzle when you filled up. One guy put over 100 gallons of gasoline into his bilge thru a rod holder. The dock boy caught it before he fired up and they towed him to the lift. He payed for the gas and the draining of his bilge. Could have been a catastrophe. You cant fix stupid as they say..
Posted By: JOG Re: the dumbass runs deep. - 06/07/17
I worked a site where over the years a couple thousand gallons of waste oil and gasoline were disposed of in a single 55 gallon drum. The drum didn't have a bottom.
© 24hourcampfire