Home
Kids playing- laughing, squealing, and high pitched screaming as only kids can.

Your newborns first cries.
Grand babies hands down
That solid "Thump!" when you make a perfect shot on a hunted animal.
It's benign.
Kids playing while I dozed on the couch before supper. If my wife had them be quiet and not bother me I would wake up immediately.

Here's a grandson playing his fiddle on a wild Pacific shore while being filmed by his brother's drone. He'd been playing for a year at that point. Jump to 2:14 for a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ROivfvyP6w

Good sounds (we can mention) beyond kids and grandkids sounds:

The close-by sigh of a whale spouting in a grey dawn when fishing for salmon on a calm sea.

Trout rising to a bug hatch

An broadhead arrow hitting meat

A cougar whistle as it approches a calling stand

Elk bugle, anywhere anytime

Moose grunt across a still lake
3 yo girl singing in a very clear voice in the toy aisle of Target. Very happy. Every morning we have the birds that wake around 3. 50/60 years or so ago, the Methodist church rang it's bell every Sunday, a sound different than you usually hear in a city Not my churcch.. I went to school with the preachers daughter, a friend dated her, said she was pretty hot. She was a pretty blonde.

Now the lack of sound on the rare ocassions I get someplace quite.

The lone piper at my friends wifes memorial. Played before, stood off and played quiety during the rosary, then played Amazing grace, then play another and walked out of ear shot. Way too bad she could not have been there to hear with us.

Like any american boy, I like the V8 lump, the Harley chugga, and any big single. Except not at night in front of my window.
Kids laughing, Ruffed Grouse drumming in the spring, Thhwauook of a broadhead in the boiler room, lap of water on a boats hull, Christmas music after the December 20th.
The sound of a fart in an empty stairwell.
The call of a Loon on a perfectly still morning with steam rising off the water at a MN lake cabin during sunrise.

The 'grunt grunt" sound of a big buck on the trail of the doe that just walked under your tree stand.

The "THWAACK" sound as your arrow penetrates just behind the front shoulder of said buck(s)

Your kid yelling "I got 'em!!!!!" on their first pheasant hunt over a dog you trained yourself. (See avatar)
Originally Posted by Okanagan

Here's a grandson playing his fiddle on a wild Pacific shore while being filmed by his brother's drone. He'd been playing for a year at that point. Jump to 2:14 for a sample.

WAY cool!
Originally Posted by jaguartx
It's benign.

Going through cancer treatment right now-sure wish I'd have heard that.
It's benign.

Kids playing while I dozed on the couch before supper. If my wife had them be quiet and not bother me I would wake up immediately.

The close-by sigh of a whale spouting in a grey dawn when fishing for salmon on a calm sea.

That boy's got a gift. Learning to play a fiddle is one thing I've always wanted to do, yet somehow never found the time to do.
I really, really like the sound of NO traffic, airports, or city sounds and lights.

Just the sound of wind blowing through the tall oaks, cattle lowing now and again, coyotes in the distance, and a big fish coming up to make a splash as it grabs a bite to eat on the water surface.

Peace and quiet has a sound all unto itself.
The sound of a freight train blowing it's horn as it crosses a nearby intersection.
The sound of a flock of teal screaming into the decoys as they dump air off their wings and fall from the sky.
The bawl of an excited beagle as it gets a nose full of rabbit scent.
The cry of a loon as it calls out to it's mate on a quiet morning.

That video is outstanding!

I know you are proud of him. As you should be!
The meadowlark's song that greats me every morning at first light

A loon's cry, echoing across a still lake

Silence, when the incessant winds finally die down

My wife's voice, when she awakens me on the sofa after a hard day's work..."Honey, your dinner's ready"

You sound like the kind of guy i need to get to know.

Arrow popping ribs. How do you spell crrraack and thwack at the same time.

When i thought of this thread i thought about the bulls bugle and i remembered a week long back pack into the mountains east of Valleceto Res in Co. 4 years and i had never killed a bull elk with a rifle. I had taken a 4x4 with a bow years before.

I was down in the dumps after climbing the ridge a mile from bivouac at the crack of dawn. I had found fresh sign on the ridge the afternoon before. I had retraced a few trails before daylight to get back there. As it was cracking day i walked into a tent camp with a couple horses staked outside. Tent was on the trail. It was the twilight zone all over again. I couldnt see how i had missed my trail. I said anybody home. A sleepy yeah came back. They had moved in during the night. I went on up the trail 400 yds. Nothing.
I couldnt see going on like this. I sat down and told the Lord i was at the end of my rope. I told Him i needed help. I got to thinking that the season before i had missed hunting and having 2 parts of my lung taken out at Harvards Mass General.
I had been hurting in that lung bad before this hunting trip and after being treated 6 months for a fungal lung infection. I got the results of the latest mri back on Friday afternoon, no tumor, and brother and i headed for Co that afternoon.
I would lay under the nylon tarp at night and hear the click sound come out of my rt lung every breath i took. Takes a while to fall asleep with that.

I got to thinking how lucky i was to be able to be up there with my brother. We could get in thick aspens and see nothing but yellow above and below, the leaves covered the floor, with white trunks marred with black.

I told Him thanks for just letting me be sitting there on that ridge that morning and that i should just be happy with that after all the stress and misery of the year.

When i finished, I sat there a few minutes feeling better. Thats when I heard the bull bugle just a little further up the ridge from me.

Now that was a beautiful sound.

I told Him thanks and donned my stetson.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
It's benign.

God bless you gopher. Your in my prayers.
A Loon
I'm sure enjoying not seeing, and more particularly not hearing Hillary on TV day and night 7 days a week until 2020.

I think that would have been more than I can stand.
Trump won.

A whippoorwill.
The sound of a dry fart when your getting old and still havent gotten to the pot.
A bull elk bugling.
Hillary crying.
Best after kids and family noises, Elk Bugle.
Jaguartx: A bull Elk's bugle on September 18th (they "mean it" then!).
The first human I heard say "congratulations on your retirement".
Canada Geese calling as they are heading towards my field blind.
A 1969 Camaro Z28.
My grandson slamming on the brakes of his bicycle and the rear wheel squealing (and leaving a black mark!) on my cement driveway and parking pad.
The cry of the Loon.
A Wolf's howl.
My Dodge diesel trucks engine coming to life after a long day afield and afoot Hunting in below zero weather!
My wifes verbal OK for me to get my allowance from our bank the first of every month!
The squeal of one of my Abu-Garcia 5001 reels when fighting a 16 pound summer run Steelhead on the Cowlitz river.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
A big tall tree hitting the ground exactly where I want it to land. Whuuuummmmmp.
My wife up early , out in the kitchen making coffee and bisquits.

Solid clang of my 44-40 knocking down a 100 meter ram.

Radial engines passing overhead.

Phone ringing on Sunday morning, son calling to check in.
The sound of silence, my ear rings all the time.
J-75 going in to afterburner.
EMD 645 V20 in Run 8.
The voices of kids after they've heard the same.
Gobblers hammering at daybreak in a south GA river bottom

An 870 blowing it's head off soon after
I like the sound of heavy, long cables getting tight.

Get to hear that a lot sitting around a work over rig.
Kids playing- laughing, squealing, and high pitched screaming as only kids can.

Your newborns first cries.

Interesting. The neighbor has some of this going on across the road from us, about 1/3 of a mile or more away. Aggravates my wife and I to hear all the damn screaming out here in the "peaceful" country.

Never have had use for their screaming.

Probably somewhat related to never having kids, but then again maybe not, screaming and such just isn't normal. Quiet is what both of us really like mostly. And Natures sounds.(well yeah, not all of those are quiet, but generally are...)
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I really, really like the sound of NO traffic, airports, or city sounds and lights.

Just the sound of wind blowing through the tall oaks, cattle lowing now and again, coyotes in the distance, and a big fish coming up to make a splash as it grabs a bite to eat on the water surface.

Peace and quiet has a sound all unto itself.

Alaska has offered this to Carolyn and I a few times. Actually probably more than that, especially on fly outs.... just outstanding. Humans make to much racket IMHO.
If the air is clear and cold, I can hear a train once in a while.
Merlin V-12 coming over fast and low...

High performance v-twin bike accelerating hard or on the overrun (no, Harley's don't qualify as hi-po; think Ducati)...

Sound of nobody around....

Fender Strat clean through a Blackface amp on the neck pickup, especially around the 12th fret...

Fender Strat through a Blackface set at about 7-8 through a Tube Screamer...

Good acapella music~especially southern gospel...

High end acoustic guitars played by people who know how...

Miniguns from 5.56's through 30 mils (with proper distance or protection)...

Bighorns knockin' noggins in the early morning...
Rain on a tin roof

Ocean waves breaking on the beach

The wind through the pine tree's

A brook next to my tent

A loon calling across the lake

A bugling elk

The words, fish on
The sound of Loons on a wilderness lake at night! OR yotes replying to a call! Maybe the screeam of a good quality reel drag!
Little kids giggling in their sleep.
Can't believe no one mentioned the sounds a woman makes when she's, how shall I say, excited. You guys are slipping, or all shoot 270's

A whale spouting one of my favorite sounds on the water. A reel screaming when a fish takes off for a run is a pretty good one.

Speaking of sexy sounds, IMHO the pinnacle of mechanical cacophony

Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Hillary CHOKING
wink
Geese braking after side slipping to come down in a spread.

Roast, I was the oldest of six. Four were girls. Their high pitched screams of joy when Dad came home from being gone a few days on drilling rigs, higher pitched than any sound i can otherwise think of is the happiest sound i know.

Hold ears.

lots of great sounds, one of my faves is hearing birds and the pond spillway draining into the creek below and not another damn sound to be heard. Rain on a metal roof is good stuff too.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Hillary CHOKING
wink

lmao
Rain on a canvas tent.

Yep, wind whistling through pines.

Campfire popping and crackling.

Bacon sizzling on coleman stove.

Coleman lantern lighting the camp.
Putt putt putt. Putt putt putt putt.
An A-10 gun run in the middle of a fight has to be one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard although the sound of a AC130 firing is pretty awesome too ( it was at night so lots of visual effects).

Beyond cool!

You must be very proud of both boys.
For your listening enjoyment. This raises the hair n the back of my neck.....

https://youtu.be/5SoZiTxdQyw
The sound that a V-12 Detroit makes at full throttle and a V-8 of any make doing the 1/4 mile.

There are others but i do like them.
well, i do like to hear my Johnson Outboard fire up every spring.

Once in deer season i topped over a high ridge north of Trout Creek Montana. It was snowing with no wind. I sat down and after a big realized i could hear nothing. I stayed there a good while watching an opening. I think that after a while i could possibly hear only maybe my heartbeat. I like to hear that quiet again.
I think that after a while i could possibly hear only maybe my heartbeat. I like to hear that quiet again.

Yes, the sound of silence.

You sound like the kind of guy i need to get to know.

Arrow popping ribs. How do you spell crrraack and thwack at the same time.

When i thought of this thread i thought about the bulls bugle and i remembered a week long back pack into the mountains east of Valleceto Res in Co. 4 years and i had never killed a bull elk with a rifle. I had taken a 4x4 with a bow years before.

I was down in the dumps after climbing the ridge a mile from bivouac at the crack of dawn. I had found fresh sign on the ridge the afternoon before. I had retraced a few trails before daylight to get back there. As it was cracking day i walked into a tent camp with a couple horses staked outside. Tent was on the trail. It was the twilight zone all over again. I couldnt see how i had missed my trail. I said anybody home. A sleepy yeah came back. They had moved in during the night. I went on up the trail 400 yds. Nothing.
I couldnt see going on like this. I sat down and told the Lord i was at the end of my rope. I told Him i needed help. I got to thinking that the season before i had missed hunting and having 2 parts of my lung taken out at Harvards Mass General.
I had been hurting in that lung bad before this hunting trip and after being treated 6 months for a fungal lung infection. I got the results of the latest mri back on Friday afternoon, no tumor, and brother and i headed for Co that afternoon.
I would lay under the nylon tarp at night and hear the click sound come out of my rt lung every breath i took. Takes a while to fall asleep with that.

I got to thinking how lucky i was to be able to be up there with my brother. We could get in thick aspens and see nothing but yellow above and below, the leaves covered the floor, with white trunks marred with black.

I told Him thanks for just letting me be sitting there on that ridge that morning and that i should just be happy with that after all the stress and misery of the year.

When i finished, I sat there a few minutes feeling better. Thats when I heard the bull bugle just a little further up the ridge from me.

Now that was a beautiful sound.

I told Him thanks and donned my stetson.

jaguatrtx that is a great story, and a bit gutsy to tell here. I really enjoyed it.

And thanks to all for the good words about grandson's fiddling on the sea stacks. He's a lot better musician now.
Hes very impressive. Thanks.
"The Muslim call to prayer is one of the prettiest sounds on Earth." - Barack Obama
Originally Posted by GhettoSportsman
The sound of Loons on a wilderness lake at night!

~ ~ ~ http://www.boundarywatersblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/loonphotoIMG_2298.jpg ~ ~ ~
Horse bells out in the meadow near camp during the night.
A topwater plug getting smashed by a gator trout and burnin' some drag. Same fish being slapped into a white hot iron skillet. Kids snoring.

Good Times!
A whisper . . .
The muted (pop) of the top button followed by the ziiiiiip of the hot girl's zipper, then the shuuuushhh as the tight pants slip off...

I loved college.

P
First turkey gobble of spring.
Thud of an arrow blowing through a deer's chest.
The first notes of UFO's "Dr Dr" (which means 'Maiden is getting ready !)
Hard rain falling, preferably with some thunder/lightning. Even better in a tent.

Coyotes getting excited at about 2am, again, preferably in a tent.
Gas turbine and rotors...
A crackling fire......
A perfect pocket-ball in tenpin...
A person that says thank you...
Animals howling...

A spouse saying "I love you".
It is hard to beat the sound of a turkey gobble on a cool spring morning.
Although I haven't read the entire thread, I'm sure the roar of a bull elk bugle or the gobble of a spring tom have been mentioned. Just about every morning in the early spring, the make cardinals in our neighborhood sing their song. I really enjoy that.......
Cow bell in the pasture at dusk. Two chain saws cutting at the same time. V Detroit, open twins, at a distance. My two young daughters, when they are having a normal, quiet conversation (instead of conspiring or fighting)
There are so many nice sounds, one I like is, when customs says, 'Have a good trip".
Cycling a commercial Mauser action.

A lot of my favorites have already been taken. Loons are great. An elk bugling at 0200 less than 300 yards from your bedroom window, because he's pissed off at an approaching thunderstorm set me on edge. My window is less than 60 miles from downtown Cincinnati.

Some that have not been mentioned:

1) The unmistakeably sound of a 250 lb whitetail buck trundling through drive leaves on The Opener.

2) Bucks fighting. It sounds like two drunks throwing up while doing a Morris Dance with hatracks.

3) Turkey's gobbling at close range are electric, especially when they turn their heads directly towards you and give that final "I'm comin' honey!" gobble.

4) However, for shear 220 volt excitement, I once had 8 jakes come in on me and for the longest time, I could not figure out what it was. It sounded like a half-ton bull bellowing, or perhaps a piece of heavy equipment starting up. They were gobbling, but it was bad gobbling and out of sync. When it came my way, I was scared.

5) The topper of the toppers is getting a surprise spit and drum from a love-lorn gob in full strut just behind your left shoulder. Few people besides turkey hunters ever hear one, and my first reaction was that The National Guard had their helicopters up mighty early. My season started this way this year. I had a tag filled within the first 20 minutes of legal hunting.

Here is a sample:

You need good speakers to hear it. In reality It is infra-sound that you feel more than hear, much like CH-47's or UH-1's do long before you see them. If you hear one with your shotgun in hand, it means God has ordained you are going to get a chance to shoot and it's up to you whether you close the deal.

Honorable mentions:

Screech Owls on a limb just off your treestand an hour before first light.

Turkeys roosting on your stand, and deciding to hold there until you are up the ladder and climbing in.

The sound a buzzard makes on a low pass over your head while you're taking a nap-- just checking to see if you're still breathing.

The sound a gazillion migrating birds make when they pass over you in a black wave. It sounds like distant surf.

An unexpected waterfall that does not show on the map.

A whitetail doe sticking her head in the bedroom window and snorting at you at sun-up.
The sound of a river rushing by in the stillness of the night, and raindrops on a caravan roof.
We were on a winter moose up on the little delta river. It was Jan time frame and it was a cold dropping down to -40 at night. Anyhow one night it was clear the moon was out and the wolves were going full bore just a howling. I'm have blessed to hear things majority of people will never get to hear..
I found blood.
Meadowlarks
Gambel's quail
Coyotes

All with my hearing aids on, of course.
It's been a while but baying hounds is pretty high on my list.

And for some strange reason I like hearing the occasional tinkling of the bell on one of the guy across the rivers goats.
Reminds me of the stories I've read about the lonely Basque sheep headers love of the sound of the bell whether.

A couple dozen Hummers buzzing my feeders and the Quail calling and Turkeys gobbling around my place in the spring.
The soft moan in your ear when you know she is having hers.
Guess I should have also listed beautiful, touching, poignant.

Puppies swarming a laughing child.
Bobwhite Quail
Your car starting when you really need it.
"I Do."
Any of your kids calling you Daddy.
I love the sounds you hear on a deer stand. Turkeys flying down from the roost am, turkeys flying up to the roost pm, a owls hoot,a deers snort, a chipmunk digging thru the leaves ( OMG that must be a deer the size of a Clydesdale coming over the hill) , a surprised squirrel that notices the new stump that wasn't there last night and starts fussing. A coyotes call close by. One of the best is the sound of the idiot on a 4 wheeler receeding in the distance. It could only be improved by the sharp slap of a tree branch hitting the idiot in the face.
To me nothing beats the sound of happy children. I don't care whose children they are. A pleasant sound that I never get tired of hearing is the thunk that a large bore rifle round makes when dropped into the chamber of a double. A sound that I'll never forget that sent some kind of chill up my spine was a bob cat scream. At least I hope it was a bobcat scream.

Very sweet, indeed.
Without a doubt the sound of my wife and children laughing. My children's first cry which I was present to hear for all 3. The sound of my moms voice, mom has been gone a little over a year and what I wouldn't give to hear her call my name one more time. Even my full name in her angry voice would be music to my ears. The star spangled banner always brings a tear thinking about how many made the ultimate sacrifice for freedom.
I enjoy the sounds of a whip-or- will
[video:yahoo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEFxi_fOe_A[/video]
© 24hourcampfire