Home
Posted By: m_stevenson Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
We've had an explosion of cottontail rabbits the past year or so.
Now that we don't have a dog around, the little insolent bastids don't even run from you.
They'll let you get 6ft. away before hopping a few times and going back to eating.

They're asking for a little 5mm Blue Streak action.

I'd normally not worry too much about them, but they got through my orchard fence and girdled some of my fruit trees.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
That 5mm's bad medicine on those damned lettuce munchers. Good little gun. I love mine!
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Same here, woodchucks too. Buggers are everywhere.
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
They've exploded around here too! Hardy ever saw one around here but now they're everywhere!
We've now got a lot more hawks around now feeding on them and the grey squirrels...
Posted By: poboy Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
elkhunternm has experience at exploding rabbits.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Our local variety is much smaller than those you have in the east. They really aren't worth hunting. In the last couple weeks, our cat has managed to smuggle 3 dead ones into the house.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Couple of weeks ago I watched one build her nest right in the middle of our back yard! We had to put our Shorthair down a few months ago, now the rabbits and squirrels have gotten brave. Well I've got some bad news for them, there's a new sheriff in town. You need one of these too Mark...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Vic_in_Va Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by poboy
elkhunternm has experience at exploding rabbits.

He uses a little peashooter.....
Posted By: KFWA Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
same here

they are everywhere. but I suspect by end of summer they will be thinned out quite well.

I don't mind them though, they can eat my grass as much as they want.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Lots of them around here, too. Little desert cottontails, though, they don't eat much and aren't much to eat.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
45/70 works on them too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RS308MX Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Wow. Instant rabbit stew!
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Couple of weeks ago I watched one build her nest right in the middle of our back yard! We had to put our Shorthair down a few months ago, now the rabbits and squirrels have gotten brave. Well I've got some bad news for them, there's a new sheriff in town. You need one of these too Mark...

[Linked Image]

That will do the job. The neighbors all want to borrow mine.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Our cat used to clean 'em out when they were little. Used to leave either a hind foot or the heart on the back step. He lived to be 20, slowed down, and a fox got him.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
We our first ever cottontail move in under my shed last summer, I didn't think it would survive the winter with the eagles, hawks, coyotes, etc. The little bugger did and we have a bunch more rabbits this summer. They don't bother much around here, at least a lot less than ground squirrels and deer.
Posted By: ShadeTree Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
They explode every spring around here. Fall and winter they move into the thick stuff and make me work to put them in the freezer. Eastern cottontails are good eating! grin
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17

[Linked Image]

Oh Damn! Don't do that t ome Al!
We are trying the dogless routine around here now that the daughter moved her dog to Milwaukee.
A lot of travel is in the forecst for the next few years, so a dog is out. And I keep repeating it...I will not get a dog, I will not get a dog....
A friend of mine has a 12 wk. Weimaraner pup that I dare not look at. I'll be really scarce around his place till she has a new home.
Posted By: victoro Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Why waste ammo? I've killed many cottontails using a wrist rocket and marbles.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by victoro

I don't own a wrist rocket.
The 5mm Sheridan was my first firearm.
Dad didn't believe in BB guns, so I got a Blue Streak for my 7th birthday.
Posted By: Badgerloader Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
I saw a cottontail explode when my brother shot it with his 8 X 57 Mauser.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Or this ........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jpb Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Oh Damn! Don't do that t ome Al!
We are trying the dogless routine around here now that the daughter moved her dog to Milwaukee.
A lot of travel is in the forecst for the next few years, so a dog is out. And I keep repeating it...I will not get a dog, I will not get a dog....
A friend of mine has a 12 wk. Weimaraner pup that I dare not look at. I'll be really scarce around his place till she has a new home.

I hear that Weimaraners especially like to ride in vehicles, so the extensive travel is not going to be a problem... Ha! :-)

You need to get that puppy! whistle

John (an enabler in Sweden)
Posted By: kellory Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Or this ........

[Linked Image]

Nice shot. I haven't used a blow gun in years. I do hunt with a slingshot, but I'm not killing local rabbits. Instead, I am trapping them, and releasing them on my hunting property.
We had a blizzard here back in '76 or '78 that killed off @90% of the local rabbits. We had no open seasons for 10 years, and still have far fewer rabbit than we used to.
Snow shoe hares are being reintroduced, and protected, and some folks are breeding thier own eating rabbits.
Posted By: J23 Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
I have noticed the same on my homestead, more rabbits than usual, they seem to be everywhere this year! I am hopeful for a productive season this winter.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
More rabbits than usual, still not enough of them to start eating them though.

Rabbit over fire makes a fine meal.
Posted By: Owl Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
I remember back in the 1970's when there was an explosion of rabbits in Mud Lake Idaho. We would go there on the weekends. If I recall, I think that I toasted 300+ in one day when I was a kid.

Was a lot of fun.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rabbit explosion - 06/13/17
Originally Posted by Owl
I remember back in the 1970's when there was an explosion of rabbits in Mud Lake Idaho. We would go there on the weekends. If I recall, I think that I toasted 300+ in one day when I was a kid.

Was a lot of fun.
It wasn't just Mud Lake. It was all across so. Idaho. A rancher I knew back then took a photo of the rabbits around a hay stack. He had it enlarged and started counting, putting a black dot on each one. He gave it up at around 3000 and he was a long way from finished. They'd eat through the bottom bales on a haystack until it fell over. Those were jack rabbits, though, not cottontails. They crashed the next winter and have never come back even remotely close to those numbers, at least not here.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Same here, woodchucks too. Buggers are everywhere.

I don't see many woodchucks at all these days in New England!

Your profile shows you in NY where I used to hunt chucks. I shot a lot of chucks around Millerton NY decades ago.

You sure there are chucks there?

Posted By: DMc Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by victoro

6'? Oh hell yeah! I was thinking one of those gun show blow guns...

DMc : )
Posted By: las Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Cottontails have roughly a 10 year cycle, snowshoes about 13. It can vary a couple years either way, depending on weather, predators, forage, how hard they crash, and maybe some other factors.

So wait a couple, protect your orchard and ornamental trees meanwhile, shoot the crap out of them, and you will be fine. smile

I always found interesting that a couple Canadian studies have shown that the number one predator on snowshoe hare babies under the age of 2 weeks is the little red pine squirrel.

One difference, (there are several) between hares and rabbits, is that rabbits keep their babies all in one nest, at first, while snowshoes stash their several babies singly in different locations. Dunno about Jacks. Those are hares also, right?
Posted By: deflave Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Slingshot.

The lost art....

Dave
Posted By: ironbender Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
No dog mark?
WTF?
smile
Posted By: LouisB Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
That Blue Streak and skillet/pot will solve your problem.
Posted By: poboy Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
I think elkhunternm explodes rabbits.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Originally Posted by las
Cottontails have roughly a 10 year cycle, snowshoes about 13. It can vary a couple years either way, depending on weather, predators, forage, how hard they crash, and maybe some other factors.

So wait a couple, protect your orchard and ornamental trees meanwhile, shoot the crap out of them, and you will be fine. smile

I always found interesting that a couple Canadian studies have shown that the number one predator on snowshoe hare babies under the age of 2 weeks is the little red pine squirrel.

One difference, (there are several) between hares and rabbits, is that rabbits keep their babies all in one nest, at first, while snowshoes stash their several babies singly in different locations. Dunno about Jacks. Those are hares also, right?
We have a lot of whitetail jack rabbits around here which are often mistaken for snowshoes. The mistake is so common that many people who've lived in the high desert all their lives don't even know there is a whitetailed jack. They think they're all snowshoes which don't live here at all. Whitetails live at higher elevations than blacktail jacks and turn white in the winter, which blacktails don't. Of course jacks are hares but I've never heard the term 'jack hare'.
Another difference between rabbits & hares is that hares have a 2 week longer gestation than rabbits so the young are born more fully developed. Rabbits are born naked and with their eyes closed while hares are born fully haired and with the eyes open. Hares are ready to leave the nest much sooner than rabbits. With some exceptions, rabbits nest in a burrow while hares just make a form, which is just a depression under a bush or something, to give birth.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
I shoot them with my bow. Its quiet
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
We had a bunch around here the last couple of years, and they kept getting into my high tunnel and eating the crops in there. I'd wait until it got dark, take a light and a shotgun, and go kill a couple. After about a dozen bit the dust, they quit getting in there.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
We were hiking in the hills north of Vernal, Ut. and spotted movement under some Junipers. I put my glasses on it and spotted the largest rabbit I have ever seen in the wild. I thought it might be a Snowshoe but when I looked it up it was a Whitetail Jack. I would bet they are better eating than Blacktails.

mike r
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17

[Linked Image]

Where's the like button on this thing?
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
The differences between rabbits and hares are interesting. Did not know that. It has been my observation there is an inverse relationship between predators and rabbits. Probably applies to other prey animals as well but I have mostly noticed it with rabbits. As the population of predators increases, the population of rabbits decreases and vice versa. They never to seem to reach equilibrium but always changing and balance out over the long run.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
The top pic is a whitetailed jack and the bottom is a snowshoe. Other than ear length and the black tips on the jack's ears, they look very much alike. Their ranges often overlap so it's not hard to mix them up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Use a 22cal but use shorts.
Posted By: 325Abn Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
We have 'em by the car load in my neighborhood as well. They are often squished by cars and wind up as food for the Magpies.

If one ventures into my backyard and one of my dogs isn't handy, my recurve does a fine job of sticking 'em to the turf using Red Feather Talon small game heads.
Posted By: trplem Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/20/17
Yeah, they blow up real good when you chuck the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch at 'em.
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/21/17
Originally Posted by ironbender
No dog mark?
WTF?
smile

Nahh, not right now 'bender. frown

There's going to be too much travel for a few years since I've recently retired.

Since this thread started, the Blue Streak has accounted for 4 of the fuzzy vandals.
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Rabbit explosion - 09/21/17
Boy, a good young beagle would be in 7th Heaven running all those bunnies. I sure miss hunting rabbits over a good beagle.
© 24hourcampfire