Home
Posted By: wabigoon Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
The American civil war, 1860 to 1865. My great, great, grandfather was in the Union army. The family story is, he had an arm broken by a southern woman that slammed a barn door shut on his arm while he was leading a horse out. He died of typhoid fever, and never returned home. We have a Seith Thomas clock his wife bought with money he sent to her.

Any "Fire" members have ancestors that served on either side?
Two great great grandfathers enlisted for three years in the Union army. One became a sergeant. He took a bullet in the lung and had intermittent problems with it until he died in 1908. Their regiment was in every Confederate state but one, including occupation duty. However their enlistment was up in 1864 and they did not reinlist.

I've often wondered what would motivate Northern farm boys to enlist. Hey, if you didn't like Southerners, and the Southerners wanted to leave your country forever, what's there to complain about?
I'm named after a great or great great Uncle who fought in the Civil War. He was in a Pennsylvania unit from right on the Ohio-Pa border. I have his sidearm, an 1851 Colt Navy. By far my prized possession.
The Southern boys will be along directly to discuss the War of Northern Aggression, I'm sure.

P
Posted By: okie Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
NW Missouri one member was with Quantrill, another was with Bill Anderson and yet another was with Union regulars out of Iowa...
My great, great grandfather was in the CSA.

He has a CSA headstone in our family plot.
I have not been able to learn much about my ancestor, even with a different name spelling. The family histories have conflicting information on where he is buried even.
Posted By: okie Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The Southern boys will be along directly to discuss the War of Northern Aggression, I'm sure.

P

Great G G grandfather took the youngest children west months before the war started due to the robbery and aggression from Kansans that started well before the war began and yet the family was split by the one older son that married a girl from Iowa. The aggression was real and easily documented. It's just the way it was...
I think it was just a BIG misunderstanding.
Not hate. whistle

Being both sides of the family were from MS.i think it is a good bet i had folks in the war.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Either side? Nope. BOTH sides...... My great, great grampa has honorable discharges from the confederate navy AND the union army..
My great, great grandpappy was on the Union side with a Nebraska detachment (I think) and was with Sherman march through Georgia. I know that he sustained some sort of injury that provided a pension after the war. THat's all I know.
I had some forbears in the 93rd Pennsylvania .
on both sides.
however i chuckle about this
one of my guys was with sherman when he burned atlanta. One of my wives people was in atlanta when he burned it.
my guy took a bullet and some weeks later died.
he is buried in a federal cemetary near where mr clinton grew up.
when i found that out i wondered out i could have him exhumed and moved to a better spot.
One ancestor fought in the 1st Minnesota Infantry from beginning to end, he was wounded at Gettysburg but survived. We have three letters home that were written for him as he was illiterate.

Another joined the Union army right off the boat. He spent about a year in service before losing a leg. We don't know what unit he served in nor where. He received a pension of $15/month allegedly for being wounded but have not been able to verify if true or not. It seems kind of high for the times and I do not think the practice was very common. Maybe it was payoff for taking the place of a rich person and not a government pension as famity lore believes.

Another was a civilian volunteer during the Sioux Uprising. He was involved in the defense of New Ulm and a couple of other excursions. He was released prior to the end of hostilities.
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Either side? Nope. BOTH sides...... My great, great grampa has honorable discharges from the confederate navy AND the union army..

now there is a book in the details Huntsman!

had a great granddad with the union. lost a leg and an arm. lived until 1914 when he committed suicide. mom was a little girl then and it was her first funeral.
g gdad's 2 brother's were in Andersonville . One came out.
on my Dads granddad side had a second cousin that was the president of the Confederate states of America.
my dads granddad was in Camp Douglas.
seems my ancestors got the best accommodations .
one of the most humbling experiences of my life was a self guided tour of Gettysburg. i wept.
My wifes side. I don't have all the info at hand but a father and son from Indiana were rumored to have been imprisoned at Andersonville and survived.
Another story is a Missouri Hillgenburg was nursed by a Indiana Hillgenburg as a POW and survived the war. The north south split is because ol Daniel had something like 9 kids and over a couple generations they migrated to Indiana and Missouri. At some point the "g" was dropped mostly on the Missouri side and the family was known as Hillenburg.
Like a lot of family folklore it can be difficult to verify all that history.
Numerous ancestors fought on both sides of the Civil War and also many who fought in the American Revolution.

This Civil War portrait of my 3rd great grandfather on my mother's side, Pollard Jackson Brown, 3rd Indiana Cavalry Company F, hangs in our living room. It was passed down to me by my mother who inherited it from my grandfather. He was wounded at Gettysburg and also participated in many other notable battles. The horse "Old Bob" was given a military burial in Howard County, Indiana when he passed many years after the war. Most of my dad's family fought for the CSA but he had one great-grandfather who was in the 14th Battery Indiana Light Artillery, his daughter was my great grandmother and I remember her so I actually knew the daughter of a Civil War vet which is cool.

[Linked Image]

There's really no need to re-fight the war at this time, is there?
The American civil war, 1860 to 1865. My great, great, grandfather was in the Union army. The family story is, he had an arm broken by a southern woman that slammed a barn door shut on his arm while he was leading a horse out. He died of typhoid fever, and never returned home. We have a Seith Thomas clock his wife bought with money he sent to her.

Several ancestors on my maternal Grandmother's side from New England, or who had roots in New England, served the Union. Most note worthy were Salmon P. Chase and Grenville M. Dodge. Chase was a successful politician, having represented Ohio as both Governor and U.S. Senator before serving as Lincoln's first Secretary of the Treasury and later as the 6th Chief Justice of the SCOTUS. Dodge had a successful military career, rising to the rank of Major General, and later represented Iowa as a U.S. Congressman and served as the first chief engineer for the transcontinental railroad. Another Union soldier, Phineas Sanborn met a Confederate soldier, Milburne Oglethorpe, during the Atlanta Campaign and after the war they become brothers-in-law, as Sanborn married Oglethorpe's sister and Oglethorpe married Sanborn's sister. Both women shared the same first name, Dorothea, which I'm sure was a little bit confusing.
I had a couple several-greats uncles on the Union side. One was killed at 16, buried in some unknown place, and little other than his name is known. The other came home but would never tell anyone what he'd seen or done. His war history is a complete black box. He was just known as Uncle Robbie.

This is Robbie's enlistment pic. Today they take photos of all new recruits in uniform. Back then, traveling artists carried hundreds of these pre-printed bodies and they'd draw in the heads of the recruits like an assembly line. The quality of the bodies is terrible. Look at the distorted hands and other details. Also, his head is too small for the body.

[Linked Image]
Well, Barry, it has not stopped most folks as of yet. That was not the point of me asking about the old solders however.
Well, Barry, it has not stopped most folks as of yet. That was not the point of me asking about the old solders however.

smile
Posted By: viking Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17

It wasn't?

P
I don't specifically know of any, but, a few years ago, I ran across the Civil War database that has a list of combatants on both sides, as well as POW rolls. When I ran my last name through, which is very uncommon, I came up with 43 matches in the Confederate Army, none in the Union Army, and none in the POW rolls. So I guess that I had relatives on the Confederate side, and that they were fighting sumbitches that made it through the war, or fought to the death.............
Hawk, interesting, could you post a link for that site?
Do you remember the link, that would be interesting.
My Great-grandfather immigrated from Norway and served in the Wisconsin regiment as a private, Jon Lunde. For his service he was granted his citizenship and 160 acre land grant in Springdale Township, Dane County.
I believe this is the one I used. It also includes sailors.

Civil War Soldier/Sailor Database
Posted By: SU35 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
My Grandfathers Grandfather, My Mothers side

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=873790

SGT John Arthur Kiggins
Company D, 149th New York Volunteer Infantry.

My Grandfathers Grandfather, My Fathers side

http://www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/nwcoicav.htm

METCALF, ISAAC F. PVT - age 24 - 27 Oct 1863 - Ft Smith, AR
SECOND REGIMENT

ARKANSAS CAVALRY VOLUNTEERS

UNION ARMY

COMPANY I

260, you might be interested to know that General Dodge paid for Jim Bridger's grave stone in Independence MO.
Apparently Mr. Bridger was a guide for General Dodge on several expeditions and was highly thought of by the General.
Posted By: TF49 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
Had two great great grandfathers serve on the Union side. Both killed at Gettysburg. One was 24 years old and have not been able to find data on the second.
Posted By: battue Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
According to Dad's Mother, two who fought at Gettysburg. Names have gone away with her, but with digging could probably be retrieved. She often told the story about a relative having a letter they eventurally received after Gettysburg. News of what happened was little, but eventually, a letter from one of them arrived. Fairly short and to the point: "Still alive."
Posted By: VernAK Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/15/17
Great Great Grandad enlisted in Company D, 9th Minnesota in August 1862 when he was in his late 40s. The company had 4 officers and 109 enlisted troops.
Six killed in action
13 died in Andersonville
16 died of disease
15 discharged by disability
59 discharged at enlistment end

He had been a missionary to the Sioux Indians in LeSeuer County, MN and was involved in the Great Sioux Uprising of the same period.
We have some maps and letters written to his wife at the time of the war and several of her letters describing the Sioux Uprising
as neighbor homes burned.
My two Great Grandfathers on my Dads side.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Holy cow, I entered my last name. 98 for the Union and 6 for the Confederates.
Posted By: LBP Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Both GG Grandfathers, several great uncles, and cousins from several southern states all Confederates. Pretty easy to understand why Southern boys fought in the War of Northern Aggression. Yankees raised an army and invaded the south to keep people who wanted to leave from leaving. I love this quote by William Faulkner.

“It's all now you see. Yesterday won't be over until tomorrow and tomorrow began ten thousand years ago. For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863, the brigades are in position behind the rail fence, the guns are laid and ready in the woods and the furled flags are already loosened to break out and Pickett himself with his long oiled ringlets and his hat in one hand probably and his sword in the other looking up the hill waiting for Longstreet to give the word and it's all in the balance, it hasn't happened yet, it hasn't even begun yet, it not only hasn't begun yet but there is still time for it not to begin against that position and those circumstances which made more men than Garnett and Kemper and Armistead and Wilcox look grave yet it's going to begin, we all know that, we have come too far with too much at stake and that moment doesn't need even a fourteen-year-old boy to think This time. Maybe this time with all this much to lose than all this much to gain: Pennsylvania, Maryland, the world, the golden dome of Washington itself to crown with desperate and unbelievable victory the desperate gamble, the cast made two years ago; or to anyone who ever sailed a skiff under a quilt sail, the moment in 1492 when somebody thought This is it: the absolute edge of no return, to turn back now and make home or sail irrevocably on and either find land or plunge over the world's roaring rim.”
― William Faulkner, Intruder in the Dust
Posted By: Terryk Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
My people were killing each other in Europe during that time. So I don't have a dog in the fight.

Here is my favorite memorial of the South, and my favorite from the North at Gettysburg.
I will be down there for the anniversary later this month. I always ride the horses on the battlefield, and it is certainly an impressive view. All the men has big balls and did what they thought was right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
On my Dad's side of the family, my Great Grandfather, John Christopher (Jack), his brother Tom and a cousin all joined up right after Ft Sumter, and fought with the Army of Tennessee, Company D, Georgia 46th Infantry. They stayed the course, and all went back to farming in Georgia, after the war was over.
On Mom's side, 5 of 6 brothers joined the Confederates, with the Army of Northern Virginia. All of them survived as well. One worked his way up to Major of cavalry. All were brave men, and true, and laid their lives on the line for what they believed in.
None owned slaves. Just farm boys themselves. German settlers, that came to America in 1770 from the Palatinate, in search of a better life.
Both sides of my family fought in the Revolutionary war as well. I belong to the SCV and the SAR.
There are two tombstones in the family cemetery outside PD Missouri (now known as Mussel Fork) with CSA tombstones, from the Douglas County Cavalry (MO). That has me perplexed, because Douglas County is in a completely different part of the state.

Chariton County was a Confederate hotbed during the war, but neighboring Macon County was a Federal stronghold, and there were a LOT of clashes in Chariton County, some near PD. according to the local historical museum.

Those must have been "interesting" times.

Dad's side of the family was from extreme Northern Missouri, (Greene County), these guys were from Mom's side.
A dozen or more for the Confederacy on both sides of my family. No known Union folk.

[Linked Image]

It appears I lied......

After being told my whole life ggpa McCann fought on both sides, I dug out the discharges to take pics. Well, he has a US Navy and US Army discharge. The Wedow and McCann are my ggpa's on paternal side and the other 2 are maternal side.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Two great-great uncles. One went north and one south. Story goes that the one that left Grundy Virginia went to Kentucky in the spring because a river was flooded. The other left in the fall and went to Tennessee. Boys didn't have a dog in the fight, just looking for adventure.
I had several that were on the Southern side of the War. My Third Great Grandfather signed the ordinance of sucession of the state of Georgia. He ended his military service as a Lt Colonel at Cold Harbor with a wound that, along with his age, sent him home. Evidently, much to his regret.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Excellent point - I cannot understand why some people are still fighting it - seems that they would make good Middle Easterners.
None that I know of on my side but one of my wife's GG grandfathers served under Nathan Bedford Forrest, first as an artilleryman, and then in the cavalry at Shiloh, I believe. Her other GG Grandfather supposedly helped runaway slaves in the Underground Railroad.
My family was always pretty closemouthed about The War for Southern Independence, so I've had to dig pretty deep for information. A number of my paternal great-grandmothers family fought for the South, as that came from local history. My ancestors owned slaves, and I've seen the old census records that back that up. I am one of the few males of my age group in my family who has not joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and several of them are very avid re-enactors. I just have never had the time, and don't care for the socializing that goes along with that sort of thing.
Thank all you good folks that worked on this. To me, this is the "fire", at it's best.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
My family was always pretty closemouthed about The War for Southern Independence, so I've had to dig pretty deep for information. A number of my paternal great-grandmothers family fought for the South, as that came from local history. My ancestors owned slaves, and I've seen the old census records that back that up. I am one of the few males of my age group in my family who has not joined the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and several of them are very avid re-enactors. I just have never had the time, and don't care for the socializing that goes along with that sort of thing.

I tried reenacting and joined the 7th Tennessee co. A. But I was young and girls, alcohol, and drugs stole my attention and I gave it up.
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my cyber friend, I hope the week has been treating you and yours well.

While I don't have family on my side which was in the conflict, my late father-in-law's namesake - his grandfather - served in the Union Army in some capacity.

He's buried in a military cemetery in Minnesota, Fort Ridgely if memory serves? Though he was from Minnesota as far as we know, the only person I can find with his name served in the Wisconsin Artillery.

It may or as the case could be may not interest folks to know that roughly 40,000 Canucks served on both sides of the conflict. A few summers ago I read John Boyko's excellent "Blood and Daring" which highlighted both individual Canadian's participation in the war as well as how much we were involved nationally.

Anyway sir, thanks for the interesting reading that your thread and the respondents have provided. All the best to you all this summer.

Dwayne

PS;
Thanks for the link SU35 - this is indeed his grave site.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Originally Posted by 348srfun
I had several that were on the Southern side of the War. My Third Great Grandfather signed the ordinance of sucession of the state of Georgia. He ended his military service as a Lt Colonel at Cold Harbor with a wound that, along with his age, sent him home. Evidently, much to his regret.

Since 348srfun and I share the same ancestors, I thought I'd just use his post.
great-great-grandfather on my mother's side. 13th Regiment, Alabama Infantry. action didn't kill him. died of the flu or cholera or something at petersburg during the siege. he was a physician but enlisted as a private and was promoted to sergeant. can't figure that. could have spent the war sawing off gangrened limbs instead of in the ranks. as far as i know, no letters back home. i didn't know enough to ask my grandfather for any family lore.
on my dad's side, a ton of great-great uncles and cousins rode with stand watie. my great-great-grandfather on that side enlisted late on the csa side in the indian territory. he had taken the family to texas early in the war to avoid all the blood feud bloodshed taking place.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Me and my boy were just discussing our civil war ancestors over supper a few minutes ago hard core Virginians here for my family two of my gg granddads were in the 19th va inf under gen Garnett in pickets charge at Gettysburg somehow they made it out another was 65 and and got drafted to Petersburg during the siege I've seen the letters he wrote that said tears filled his eyes from what he'd seen he could write no more another gg grandad was on furlough when the damn Yankees came raiding and hid in the chimney another then on my dad side his great grandad was in the home guard for Lynchburg got his pic in uniform on my mantle

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My grandfathers' grandfather...Peter S. Mulhern buried at Alto, La. six miles from my homesite. Wounded at Chickamauga and later captured at the Battle of Franklin Tennessee. Signed a parole and came home! I go down and have a talk with him quite often. Pappy Pete is rather 'tight-lipped' these days....but I know he's listening!!

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr
Don't know much about him since my Grandmother told the story only once when I was young. Apparently one of her Uncles was a Major in a Confederate Cavalry unit from North Carolina. The story was that he got hit in the side of the head by a Yankee bullet which knocked him off his horse, but didn't penetrate the skull. He remounted and got back in the fight with only a big knot on his head to show for it. Apparently it was a stray round fired from far away but it got him some local fame as being bulletproof.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
11 that know of. All for the south but one. He was from Kentucky and his family owned a tobacco plantation and had 93 slaves.

Grandpa Locklear (Heather is my third or fourth cousin) was sent home towards the end of the war to kill a deserter who was raising hell with the women folk. The story was that the colonel called him in and said, "Here is my horse. Take him and if you go home and kill that son of a bitch, you can keep the horse and you don't have to come back." So he did and he didn't go back.
Posted By: EdM Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Both of my parents were conceived in Italy and born a few months into "being" American's. So no.
Posted By: rbg63 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Great, Great Granfather- Confederacy

32nd Regiment, Texas Cavalry (Crump's Battalion, Mounted Volunteers)

Taken prisoner of War. On Union Prisoner register at Cincinnati,Ohio. Was paroled. Went home and reenlisted!
Several buried in Ivanhoe Va with CSA on the tombstones. Don't know any details about them.
The South here
Family book tells of an ancestor who was held at Andersonville, his folks went down there and paid parole to get him out. Dont understand how that worked. This thread has stayed very civil for a change, probably not for long.
Posted By: Muffin Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
GGgrnd-dad on Grandfathers side... fought with the North

[Linked Image]

I have his Colt pistol, AND the holster....
[Linked Image]

GGgrand-dad on grandmothers side fought with the South.. Early A. Allen

That is an awesome family heirloom.
Thanks again all, I would post the clock, and a tin type picture, but me, and photobucket are not getting along.
One gguncle was in the 20th New York Cavalry and was in Petersburg late in the war. He did not see a lot of action.

Another ancestor was in the Missouri Militia (Union). He had fought in the Mexican war in 1847 and was kicked out for something, we don't know what. He joined the Militia instead of a regular volunteer unit because they could not send the Militia troops out of the State. At least that is what the family history says. I have a photo of him taken after the war.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There are two tombstones in the family cemetery outside PD Missouri (now known as Mussel Fork) with CSA tombstones, from the Douglas County Cavalry (MO). That has me perplexed, because Douglas County is in a completely different part of the state.

Chariton County was a Confederate hotbed during the war, but neighboring Macon County was a Federal stronghold, and there were a LOT of clashes in Chariton County, some near PD. according to the local historical museum.

Dad's side of the family was from extreme Northern Missouri, (Greene County), these guys were from Mom's side.

Greene County Missouri is in the SW portion of the state with Springfield being the county seat.
On my Mother's side, all four of my Great Great Grandfathers, as young men, joined the Army of Northern Virginia on the same day at Halifax Courthouse, VA. All four survived four years fighting the Yanks or else I wouldn't be here.

On a less serious note, I think maybe that's why I am such a good shot with a rifle. smile
I found my last name in six Confederate states' and five Union states' battle units (hilhamhawks link) . We get around .

Other than immediate family, I've never met anyone else with my last name.

Also, my last name came back With no hits in the prisoners' log.
I have two great great Grandfathers who fought and served with the CSA. One lost a leg at Shiloh and the other lost an arm at Gettsyburg. Both moved to TX after the War and are buried in Family Plots. Both have CSA headstones.
Also several great great uncles fought for the CSA. Some made it home and some didn't.
Posted By: g5m Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Both sides.
One of the things I'm the proudest of is being from the South. The other is not being kin to anyone from the north.
There ain't no sweet tea in the North . Grin
Both sides. Two great grandfathers in the Confederate Army who lived through it, although one was badly wounded. One twice-great grandfather that I know of was a Federal and died of an unknown disease.
Posted By: 45_100 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
My great great grandfather was a drummer boy in the northern army and got his leg shot off and/or amputated. My fourth great uncle was a general in the southern army. Last name was Lee.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Little Dixie. Statue of General Price in Keyetsville. I lived in Salisbury as a child.
Originally Posted by okie
NW Missouri one member was with Quantrill, another was with Bill Anderson and yet another was with Union regulars out of Iowa...

My two kids at the grave of Captain Anderson, 1st Kansas (CSA). (Bloody Bill as the Union folk called him.)

[Linked Image]
Great grandfather Sgt. Benjamin B. Seale 40th Ala. Inf. Regt. His cousin, Pvt. L. B. Seale 21st Ala. Inf. Regt.

My Great grandmother Seale's two brothers (uncles to me) Capt. Archbald A. Currie 13th Miss. Inf. Regt. and Pvt. J. R. Currie 13th Miss. Inf. Regt.

Great grandfather Cpl. William Larkin Ala. Corps of Cadets. His two brothers 1st Lt. Abram Larkin 40th Ala. Inf. Regt., 1st Lt. John Robert Larkin 38th Ala. Inf. Regt.

Great great grandfather Pvt. Calvin Henderson 42nd Ala. Inf. Regt

Great great great grandfather Capt. Howard A.M. Henderson Commandant of POW Camp at Cahawba, Alabama.

A cousin from my mother's side Maj. Robert Donnell 22nd Ala. Inf. Regt.

Great grandmother Larkin's brother (uncle to me) Cpl. William Elliot and her uncle Lt. Col. E. S. Gulley 40th Ala. Inf. Regt.

My wife's great great grandfather was Pvt. George Wright 39th Georgia Inf., and great great grandfather Williams (cannot recall his first name off hand) who was with Forrest's Cavalry.

Sgt.B.B. Seale was discharged from the 21st Ala. Inf. in December 1861 due to typhoid fever. Rejoined the army in May 1862 in the 40th Ala. Inf. Was captured and paroled at Vicksburg. Then wounded and captured at Bentonville, NC. Released from POW camp David's Island, NY in June 1865.
Pvt. L.B. Seale was captured at Ft. Gaines, Ala. in 1864. POW at Ship Island, Miss. until May 1865.
Capt. A.A. Currie was wounded at the Battle of the Wilderness, Virginia. Captured at Sailor's Creek, Virginia April 1865. Held at POW Camp Johnson's Island, Ohio until June 1865.
Pvt. J.R. Currie was wounded at Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia 1864. Died two days later in hospital at Richmond, Virginia. Location of grave unknown. He was 17 yrs old.
Cpl. William Larkin's unit disbanded in April 1865.
1st Lt. Abram Larkin discharged in 1862 at Mobile due to combination of yellow fever and measles. Died shortly after the war due to this.
1st Lt. John R. Larkin captured at Missionary Ridge, Tenn. 1863. POW at Johnson's Island, Ohio, released in June 1865.
Pvt. Calvin Henderson captured near Atlanta, Ga. 1864. POW at Camp Chase, Ohio until released 1865.
Pvt. George Wright captured and paroled at Vicksburg.

No Yankee blood in my DNA.
I remember well some 45 years ago a fellow of northern birth seriously asked me why we southerners still made such a fuss over the war. His ancestors had arrived on this continent years after the war, so other than being raised in that section, he had no family connection to the war, either side. After a few quick moments of reflection, I replied "well...ya'll never lost a war".
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I remember well some 45 years ago a fellow of northern birth seriously asked me why we southerners still made such a fuss over the war. His ancestors had arrived on this continent years after the war, so other than being raised in that section, he had no family connection to the war, either side. After a few quick moments of reflection, I replied "well...ya'll never lost a war".

Maybe another answer might have been " You've never been occupied by the US Army"
Lots of Blair's in the war. 35 pages for the South, 65 for the North. They must have all killed each other. I don't think there are that many Blair's left.
My Virginia Roots go back to the first ones getting off the boat at Jamestowne.

To any knowledge of family history, none of my ancestors owned slaves.

Even tho I have family ancestors who were from ALL over Virginia, who fought in the Civil War,

NONE of them wore Blue....they ALL wore Grey....

they fought at pretty much all the battles in Virginia, and were at Antietam and Gettysburg...

they fought with Mosby's Rangers, served under Stonewall Jackson and Jeb Stuart.

I am a proud descendant of each one of them.. men who served their state and their families, defending their homes
from Union Invasion.

Lord knows the number of battlefields I have walked as a kid growing up.... and the number of places that still had ramparts
still standing in groves of trees when I was growing up in the 50s and 60s all over (then) rural Northern Virginia.

Guess to this day, you just can't explain "southern pride" to people who weren't southerners or descendants of southerners.

its something they'll never know, much less ever understand.

And a little song I love, that I am sure expressed the feelings of many of my ancestors from that time period who
took arms and defended their state of Virginia...

My great grandmother on my fathers side, who I never knew, had an uncle who was named Rueben Carroll. He road into the little community where he lived, and was asked by a man where he was going. Rueben said to join the army. The man said which one, and Rueben told him the South. The man pulled out a knife, said like Hell you are, and killed Rueben. Rueben's brothers then put a rope on the man and he was last seen being pulled out of town behind their horses. A local historian had the knife, and some old newspaper clippings about the story, but sadly they were lost after he died.
Originally Posted by DryPowder
One of the things I'm the proudest of is being from the South. The other is not being kin to anyone from the north.

Not a drop of yankee blood in me either, for which I thank the Lord daily. smile
A year before my Step Grandmother died, we were moving her out of her home, and she was moving in with one of my aunts.
Grandma never threw away anything... the entire family was there and going thru boxes upon boxes of things full of her lifetime and more of "Stuff"...

The city of Chattanooga brought out a dumpster and told us when we filled it, they'd come and get it and bring another if we needed it.

You'd just want to throw out boxes after going thru millions of them.. and then of course there would be something 'important' or historical for the family.

I picked up one box and was heading to the dumpster when Grandma stopped me... inside of it was her grandfather's enlistment to the Confederate Army for Tennessee in 1861, and then his enlistment as a Captain in the Union Army in 1863 for changing sides, his discharge from the Union Army in 1865, his being awarded 160 Acres for serving in the Union Army in 1866, then 320 acres from the State of Tennessee for serving in the Union Army in 1868... and then another 160 acres from the US Govt for his service also in 1868. Those 640 acres happened to be the farm that she was born on in 1900 located in Livingston TN.

So of course, we were right back to going thru every box piece by piece once again.

Grandpa's side of the family always considered her side to be a bunch of Traitors due to her Grandpa changing sides in 1863.
Pretty much all of mine fought in that conflict.

First South Carolina Rifles, AKA: Orr's Rifles.
Posted By: RWE Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
My great grandfather served in two confederate units under 2 different names.

One watching the Carolina coast out of Fort fisher, and the other running supplies up the cape fear - presumably while bootlegging liquor.

So much for proper family history....
Originally Posted by Henryseale

Pvt. J.R. Currie was wounded at Battle of Cold Harbor, Virginia 1864. Died two days later in hospital at Richmond, Virginia. Location of grave unknown. He was 17 yrs old.

Henry, our historical paths have crossed. Early A Allen, my GGgrandfather...........

EARLY AUGUSTUS ALLEN (1830-1872) moved to Marion County, FL from Pike County, Ala., in the 1840s with his family. He married Janett Gillis in 1850. She died after giving birth to a daughter, Lucy Ann. He remarried in 1854, to Mary Morrison (1836-1916) in Ocala. They settled in Crystal River in 1855. War Department records showed that Early A. Allen, private, Company C, 9th Florida Infantry, Confederate States Army, enlisted June 21, 1862. The last record found showed him absent sick in a hospital at Richmond. He was discharged in October 1864. The 1870 Hernando County census shows him age 38, wife Mary age 32. Others in the household were Lucy A., 17; Florida, 15; John, 13; William, 9; Charles, 7; Walter, 3; illegible, 1. Early Allen died on July 14, 1872, at his home in Hernando County. According to great grandson Zack C. Waters, "He was shot in the chest at Cold Harbor. He lived three years but the wound never healed - so I always say he may have been the last Cold Harbor casualty. I think there were several of those Allen boys in Capt. Hope’s Co." A 2010 newspaper article reported that he died of malaria-related causes. Early’s father, John Earl Allen, was appointed the second postmaster of Crystal River in 1857.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Lots of Blair's in the war. 35 pages for the South, 65 for the North. They must have all killed each other. I don't think there are that many Blair's left.

I am the GGG-grandson of John Pike Morrison and Sibbiah Blair, daughter of William Blair, Jr. and Mary Joyce
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Another story about one of my grandpas is that he was wounded and came back from the war sick. He was sick for years and just never could get right. Until he accidentally ate some bread that was real moldy. And then he got better.
Both of my grandfather's grandfathers. We have a picture of both of them sitting together in their uniforms. They were Yankees from Indiana. One of them I know little about, but the other guy, we have his discharge record which tells us where he fought. He was in the PA unit that dug the tunnel under the confederate fort during the siege of Petersburg. He was wounded in the thigh, but lived.
My Great Great Grandfather Thomas Robertson
Birth: Dec. 7, 1842
Mississippi, USA
Death: Nov. 5, 1933
Louisiana, USA

He served in the Civil War units: Seven Stars Artillery and 24 Battalion Mississippi Cavalry.
My Great Great Grandfather was Michael Bulger.

He led the 47th of Alabama at Little Round Top.

Brigadier-General Michael J. Bulger was born in Columbia, S.C., February 13, 1806. He went to Montgomery, Ala., in 1823, and made that city his home for many years. While living there he was elected major of Alabama militia. In 1834 he was in the Creek nation and was elected colonel. In 1838 he moved to Tallapoosa county. Soon afterward he was elected brigadier-general, and held that position until 1861. In 1836 he was a delegate to a State convention, to nominate a candidate for vice-president, to run on the same ticket with Andrew Jackson. He was also a delegate to all Democratic State conventions from 1836 to 1861. In 1851 he was nominated by the Democrats to run against the secessionists and was elected. In 1855 he was nominated to the legislature but declined, and being again nominated unanimously he declined the position, but in 1857 he accepted the nomination and was elected. He was a delegate to the Charleston convention of 1860, and was a candidate for elector on the Douglas ticket. After the election of Lincoln he was an independent candidate against secession. As a member of the Alabama convention he voted against secession, and refused to sign the ordinance, which had been printed on parchment; but when it became necessary to raise an army to maintain the position taken by his State he accompanied and assisted Governor Shorter in organizing the cavalry. In the winter, when recruiting became a drag, he raised and organized a company, and went into camp at Loachapoka. With his assistance a regiment was raised. When it was organized he failed to be made colonel and went into service as a captain in the Forty-seventh infantry. After much campaigning it happened that, at the battle of Cedar Run, Captain Bulger was in command of the regiment, and during an attack on the flank he was wounded in the.arm, but he bound his arm tightly, laid it in his bosom, and continued to command his regiment. A little later he was shot in the leg and an artery severed, but the indomitable soldier stopped the bleeding by placing a corncob on each side which he bound with a suspender, given him by one of the soldiers, and then persisted in the fight until, about to faint from loss of blood he was compelled to desist. The casualties on the ground occupied by the Forty-seventh Alabama were General Winder killed, General Taliaferro wounded, Captain Menefee killed, Captains Bulger, Mcintosh and Campbell severely wounded. The privates killed, wounded and missing number 114. Captain Bulger was borne to the residence of Mr. Tinsley, where he was tenderly cared for. It appeared to the surgeons to be necessary to amputate his leg, but by stout and heroic objections he saved himself this mutilation. He returned to his home, on account of this wound, and while confined there on his bed was elected to the State senate to fill a vacancy. He served in that capacity through the session of 1862-63. After his recovery he returned to his regiment, with promotion to lieutenant-colonel. At the battle of Gettysburg he was in General Law's brigade in the charge on Little Round Top, and while commanding the regiment was shot through the chest with a minie ball, which lodged under the right shoulder-blade, where it has ever since remained. He was left on the field and reported dead, but was given good care by the Federals during his stay at Gettysburg; later he was removed to Baltimore, and thence sent to Johnson's island, where he spent the winter. The following spring he was exchanged, and returning to his command was commissioned colonel. It being necessary for him to have a surgical operation performed, he was sent home, and while still confined to his bed he was again elected to the State senate, where he served through the session and then returned to his command. His wound having not entirely healed, he was granted leave of absence, and while in Richmond at the office of General Withers, assistant secretary of war, that gentleman handed him a commission as brigadier-general. Colonel Bulger asked him to keep it until his return to the army, but before he could get home the Confederate armies were surrendered. After the war he remained at his home until 1880, when, in response to an earnest appeal of the people, he served again in the legislature. After rendering that service he gave his entire attention to his farm until 1895. At that date he retired from farming and made his home with his daughter at Jackson's Gap, Ala. Venerable, dignified, and crowned with many honors, he enjoys, in serene old age, the esteem of his people.
Confederate Military History
Originally Posted by viking
Holy cow, I entered my last name. 98 for the Union and 6 for the Confederates.

My Great Grandfather and his father were both James Williams. From the link furnished, there are 111 with that name on the Confederate side from Texas and Missouri. No way to know which, if any,of the records match up.

My Great Grandfather married a Native American woman and my Grandfather came from that union. That branch fought both sides during the conflict.😀
I haven't done any ancestry searches, but I do remember a Great Aunt doing one years ago and displaying her findings to all my dad's kin ... seems one of my dad's distant cousins married a Virginie Boy, name of Robert, last name Lee. So I do have a connection by marriage.
My GG grandfather was a Captain in the war of Northern Aggression here in VA.
He was also a officer in the U.S. Army and fought prior to the war of Northern Aggression.
His brother was same, same.
I have a copy of his handwritten letter to Virginia's governor asking[pleading] not to ask him to have his men take up arms against "their brethren to the south" as he felt surely that he would be unsuccessful in attempting to persuade them to do such.
I've live several places north of the Mason-Dixon in my younger years, but "Dixie Land is where I want to make my final stand".

I have kin on my father's side of the family that fought with the South Carolina Infantry during the War of Northern Aggression.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Dad's half of the family was still home in Marburg, making rope and swilling beer.

However, Mom's side had several that served. We're still looking for the particulars on Lewis Davidson Williams. He was fresh from Wales and left his pregnant wife to join up in 1862. My great-great grandfather, Elmer Ellsworth WIlliams was born just after he left. We're pretty sure Lewis served at Shiloh in an Ohio Artillery regiment, and stayed in until 1865 and was mustered out in Alabama. One of his brothers did not come back from the war. He didn't die. He just decided not to come home.

We kind of hit a dead end on Lewis. There was a Lewis Williams that matches this description, but he died in camp prior to Shiloh. I'd kind of given up hope, until I was reading Leander Stillwell's Memoir. Stillwell served in a Illinois Regiment at Shiloh and was just right of the Hornet's Nest. When he was withdrawn, his company was put in defense of an artillery battery manned by Welshmen from Ohio. He describes them stripped to the waist and their snow-white skin showing in the April sun. One thing that distinguishes that side of the family is their nearly-unpigmented transparent skin. My grandfather Ellsworth, Lewis' grandchild, was nicknamed Whitey. As soon as I read Stillwell's account, I knew he was probably watching my great-great grandfather in action.

There are half a dozen other that served for the Union out of Ohio and Pennsylvania that we have less of a story on. One was a cavalry officer. He came home to a 2 year old son that he'd never seen. We are still in the process of tracking them all down.
Three served. -- My GGGG Grandfather of 2 of his sons, including my GGG Grandfather served in the 15th Missouri Cavalry.

They also served in Their County Home Guard - a militia that protected civilians from both the Union and The Confederate troops.
Posted By: 257wby Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
My GGGrandfather. James F Kennedy. Corporal, 34th Illinois infantry
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Excellent point - I cannot understand why some people are still fighting it - seems that they would make good Middle Easterners.

I am not still fighting it, but I am By God Southern with folks from both paternal and maternal that fought for the South and our states rights. I am tired of people that have no dog in the fight pulling down monuments and flags for no reason other than to be PC.
If you think this thread is nonsense why even open it and then voice an opinion.
Mothers side were plantation and slave owners back in Mississippi way before the Civil War... Father side was was from Michigan when then French/Canadian territory back before Independence... yea they've all fought!

Phil
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Mothers side were plantation and slave owners back in Mississippi way before the Civil War... Father side was was from Michigan when then French/Canadian territory back before Independence... yea they've all fought!

Phil

So, they supported the Constitution and 2A until you came along?
I have no dog in the fight, but I would personally defend the honor of the soldiers that fought for the South. Removing the statues and flags are simply insulting to everyone.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/16/17
Great Great Grandfather on the Miller side killed at the battle of Cornith, Great Grandfather on The Williams side served The 35th Texas Cav. Lived to be a old man
P

Sho nuff, mo fo.

Great, Great, was a Captain in the 1st Louisiana Calvary, the best outfitted unit in the whole Civil War. Outfitting was done by Planters along the Mississippi River who raised 50,000$ (actual money in those days) to outfit those good men with a full compliment of arms for those Gents (2 pistols, one carbine rifle, ammo and one bowie type knife as well as the finest horses and tack money could buy). They have the distinction of having fought in the most engagements of the Civil War, most captured enemy in the whole Civil War and most killed enemy in the whole Civil War. He came home after the war and outlived 2 wives, dying at the ripe old age of 81. An article on this was published in "The Westside Reader" some few years back.
GG grandfather was colonel company K 18th Mississippi infantry. Wounded at Battle of balls bluff and died shortly after.
My great great grandfather, Hiram P Bennet, served two terms as the first Colorado Territorial Representative to the US Congress during the Civil War.
A town just west of me was named for Ol' Hiram.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennett,_Colorado

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Pitt_Bennet
My Great granddad joined the 1st Kentucky Calvary for the Union at the very start of the war. He and the other volunteers supplied their own horses and firearms for about six months before they were issued anything by Uncle Sam. They were mainly known to chase Col John Hunt Morgan (Morgans Raiders) all over Kentucky and Tennessee and other states. He mustered out in 1865. They were formed in Casey and Landram County Kentucky. All of my Dads family , including my Dad, were from Casey County Kentucky.

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Space:1st_Kentucky_Cavalry:_The_Wild_Riders
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have no dog in the fight, but I would personally defend the honor of the soldiers that fought for the South. Removing the statues and flags are simply insulting to everyone.

I totally agree with you. The removal of Confederate memorials is disrespectful and shows how little backbone the politicians who allow it to happen have. Rather than do what is right, they do what is easy and politically correct, pandering to liberals and minorities.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Terryk

I totally agree with you. The removal of Confederate memorials is disrespectful and shows how little backbone the politicians who allow it to happen have. Rather than do what is right, they do what is easy and politically correct, pandering to liberals and minorities.

The men who actually fought the war were willing to forgive one another. Why can't today's entitled snowflakes do the same? The video of the 50th annivarsary of the Battle of Gettysburg with the aged Confederates swarming the stone wall and being hugged by their Union counterparts was one of the most touching things I have ever seen.

If for no other reason, we should keep the monuments as a reminder of the mistakes of the past. Those mistakes are so easy to repeat.
No remaining records that I am aware of. Not aware of any family oral history. All four of my grand parents died before I was born. Per the link above, I see that Bach's, Back's and Farrar's fought on both sides. Living in Kentucky, not be surprised to have a goodly number on both sides. Some interesting stories above of the one's who are knowledgeable of their family history. Appreciate you sharing...
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/17/17
My great great grandfather on my fathers side James P. Byrne was a sergeant in the 28th Louisiana Grays, Company C. He enlisted in May of 1862 and was killed on April 8 or 9th 1864 at the Battle of Mansfield near Shreveport. He was born in 1829 So he was 35 when he was killed. He had a 240 acre farm on the Boeuf Prairie on the Winnsboro road. My mothers family are from Tennessee and Alabama but I haven't looked into what they did during the war.

[Linked Image]
Great pic there 1911.

I told of mine a couple of years ago on a similar thread under another handle. If i told of it again steelhead would connect the dots and call me eyeball so i better pass on the confederate past. smile
I talked to my grandfather today about this thread. His mother's father was a Shelton and a Confederate soldier. I'm gonna look him up in the database.
The men who actually fought the war were willing to forgive one another. Why can't today's entitled snowflakes do the same?

A story about an old soldier that rode with Forrest, that lived near where I do, after the war. A man stopped by and wanted to water His horse, and Himself. The old Soldier man mention that He did no know this man and He replied that He has been a Union soldier stationed near here during the war, and was just riding through looking at the changes over the years. The old Rebel told the man, "I'll water the horse but you get your water out of that ditch over there." Supposedly true story. miles
This thread has been about as civil, as they come here on the "fire", I appreciate that, no intentions of starting the war all over again, just nice to hear all the family lore.

The old solders, and sailors were all brave men, serving as they saw fit. I salute them all.
Terryk has it. There is no reason on this earth to deprive the Ancestor's of either side of the Civil war their right to display or be proud of what their Ancestor's fought for. I had no relatives in the Civil War, but I have toured Confederate Cemeteries and Civil War Battlefields by the dozen's. I met the GG Grandaughter of Lewis Armistead as she was searching for the spot where he was shot at Gettysburg and helped her find it. I was overcome with emotion for her so I could not hang around. I have walked through several Cemeteries in Atlanta, Virginia and PA. To see the rows upon rows of white headstones with the names of the young boys who are buried far from their home's Most of whose families never knew where they lie. To deny these people the right to show their Flags and to visit monuments established to honor their brave men, border's on the Criminal.
Originally Posted by rondrews
Terryk has it. There is no reason on this earth to deprive the Ancestor's of either side of the Civil war their right to display or be proud of what their Ancestor's fought for. I had no relatives in the Civil War, but I have toured Confederate Cemeteries and Civil War Battlefields by the dozen's. I met the GG Grandaughter of Lewis Armistead as she was searching for the spot where he was shot at Gettysburg and helped her find it. I was overcome with emotion for her so I could not hang around. I have walked through several Cemeteries in Atlanta, Virginia and PA. To see the rows upon rows of white headstones with the names of the young boys who are buried far from their home's Most of whose families never knew where they lie. To deny these people the right to show their Flags and to visit monuments established to honor their brave men, border's on the Criminal.

Except ,the people who wish to deface the U.S.A of such historically significant items could be worse than criminal . They want to "erase" history. That seems bad to me.
Posted By: mrfudd Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/17/17
Direct ancestor Peter Young enlisted in the 16th NC Infantry in 1861. Was wounded in Pickett's Charge, captured, and died on July 8th. We have been unable to locate his burial site. All four of his brothers were also killed in the war.
Originally Posted by milespatton
The men who actually fought the war were willing to forgive one another. Why can't today's entitled snowflakes do the same?

A story about an old soldier that rode with Forrest, that lived near where I do, after the war. A man stopped by and wanted to water His horse, and Himself. The old Soldier man mention that He did no know this man and He replied that He has been a Union soldier stationed near here during the war, and was just riding through looking at the changes over the years. The old Rebel told the man, "I'll water the horse but you get your water out of that ditch over there." Supposedly true story. miles

I'd bet everything in my pocket that story is true.
Posted By: battue Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Maybe another answer might have been " You've never been occupied by the US Army"

At least, in the end, we let you have your weapons and land. You would have been really worked up if we put you on a reservation.

Now, taking all your best Quail Plantations? That may have been too much.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by 1911a1
My great great grandfather on my fathers side James P. Byrne was a sergeant in the 28th Louisiana Grays, Company C. He enlisted in May of 1862 and was killed on April 8 or 9th 1864 at the Battle of Mansfield near Shreveport. He was born in 1829 So he was 35 when he was killed. He had a 240 acre farm on the Boeuf Prairie on the Winnsboro road. My mothers family are from Tennessee and Alabama but I haven't looked into what they did during the war.

[Linked Image]

My grandpa Summerhill was in that unit.
Originally Posted by battue

At least, in the end, we let you have your weapons and land. You would have been really worked up if we put you on a reservation.

Now, taking all your best Quail Plantations? That may have been too much.

that chit is right out of dumphugistan. Geez
Posted By: battue Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/17/17
You continue to prove the reservation would have been the place for you.
Battue, mostly they took their weapons right off, the land they waited until they got home and go a crop started before it was taken for taxes.
Posted By: Tracks Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
My surviving Great Grandfather and his brothers were large land owners in area around Tyler Texas before the war, they lost all of it afterwards.
Posted By: battue Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
Battue, mostly they took their weapons right off, the land they waited until they got home and go a crop started before it was taken for taxes.

Websterparish: After reading the terms of surrender at Appomattox it appears you are correct re their weapons. At least there. The terms did allow them to take their horses and mules and they were supplied with food.
My main point, subtle, tho I'm sure you caught it, was the Indian Nations land was also occupied by the U.S. Army and the end result was they were moved to reservations. The Confederency lost the South-which we also occupied at one time-they lost North America.

The other point was regarding the Southern Tradition of Quail hunting. It is a crown jewel of the South. Many of the great plantations ended up in the hands of Northern money barons. One I am familiar with being Pineland Plantation owned by the Mellons.

The history of the South and the Confederacy is one that needs remembering, not hidden or ignored. In reference to the recent baseball thread; The best team did lose in the end. They were a formidable assembly of men who where crushed by overwhelming numbers. Lee's mistake was bringing the war above the M-D line.
During Reconstruction Yankee Barons came to Mississippi and bought up 50 million acres of timber for fifty cents per acre....loaded up all the lumber therefrom on flatcars and took it north which they at that time used to construct their factories!
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by 1911a1

[Linked Image]

My grandpa Summerhill was in that unit.

That's pretty neat!
My dad is from the Winnsboro La. area. A lot of my dads family are still in the Winnsboro Louisiana area or northern Louisiana
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Great pic there 1911.

I told of mine a couple of years ago on a similar thread under another handle. If i told of it again steelhead would connect the dots and call me eyeball so i better pass on the confederate past. smile

Thanks for the compliment. I need to look into my mothers side of the family. The only story I have on my mothers side was my Grandmother relaying a story from her grandmother about hiding food under the house from the soldiers.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
My ancestors in Bristol TN still had outdoor plumbing, kerosene lamps, and two plow horses last I was there in 1956. Who knows what the did in the civil war. My mother's high school debated if they should have freed the slaves, and the "No" position won.

I do have a revolver made in 1857 that I am restoring.

[Linked Image]
While I do think that the slaves should have been free, the way it was done has caused a lot of the current mess that we are in. They were given freedom, that a lot of them had never had, and did not know how to use it. It should have been incremented in some way to give them time to adjust. miles
A few years back I visited a friends place on the island of Cozumel. Talking with a local who was kind of a historian of the area, he told me the U.S.Navy landed a survey crew there in 1865 with the mind to putting the former slaves there. The Mexican government wouldn't allow it.
Where would we vacation then?......
grin
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
During Reconstruction Yankee Barons came to Mississippi and bought up 50 million acres of timber for fifty cents per acre....loaded up all the lumber therefrom on flatcars and took it north which they at that time used to construct their factories!

Recall reading somewhere that the great forest of the northeast had already been cut and sawn by 1860.

My great great grandfather served with the Ohio Milita. He's buried in my home town, Marlow,OK in his Union Uniform and hat. His grave stone acknowledges "GAR", Grand Army of the Republic.
Posted By: Gus Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/18/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

yes, a lot of the southland was cut-over and the proceeds shipped north to build the great northern cities.

it was a desperate time for locals after the civil war. the winner took all, and the countryside was plundered. we didn't treat iraq like that after we deposed the dictator over there.

no wonder the kkk or it's various arms or clones sprang up in rural areas to help restore order, maintain civility and help the local citizenry re-gain a start on life after the devastating defeat.

and here we are in 2017 and the South has Risen Again.
Stories are told that many of my early immigrant Irish ancestors on my Maternal Grandmothers side were soldiers in the War on both sides and several appearently part of the Fenian brotherhood. Only stories though as no one has any physical documentation.
While I do think that the slaves should have been free, the way it was done has caused a lot of the current mess that we are in. They were given freedom, that a lot of them had never had, and did not know how to use it. It should have been incremented in some way to give them time to adjust. miles

Slavery should have been allowed to die out naturally like it did everywhere else but it was never really about slavery to begin with. The feds created that myth to justify what they had done after the fact.
You continue to prove the reservation would have been the place for you.

and you prove once again that you are just another yankee azzwhole. laughing.
I'm a direct descendant of 6 Confederate soldiers. Three of them served under Reaford's granddad. One killed in Saltville, Va, one wounded in Petersburg, one captured at Missionary Ridge, TN. Three went all the way the through the war.
Posted By: battue Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/19/17
Laughing you say?????

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

You pick "dumphugistan" up from some 10YO? Surely an adult can do better. In your case perhaps not.

Watch out there may be a Yankee outside the door. Best go and check...

Look, look there is another!!!!

Originally Posted by Squirrelnut

Slavery should have been allowed to die out naturally like it did everywhere else but it was never really about slavery to begin with. The feds created that myth to justify what they had done after the fact.

I have never been a fan of old Abe Lincoln because of how he would not let the South leave the Union. But, had Lincoln not been shot, it is possible that two things might have happened........the slaves could have been sent back to Africa, and Reconstruction might not have been so harsh on the South.

Lincoln did not believe Negroes to be the equivalent of Whites, and thought they had no place in the US. He mentioned several times that it might be best to send the freed slaves back where they came from. He also would more than likely took a different approach to the proceedings that went on after the war ended. The Republicans in the House and Senate were the ones who wanted to punish the South, and it's possible that with Lincoln still in charge, it may have been different.
The terms did allow them to take their horses and mules and they were supplied with food.

My Great Grandpa Patton lived in Bradley County Arkansas when Arkansas entered the war. I don't know any more than that, and Bradley County was about three times the size that it currently is. When the 2nd Arkansas Infantry was formed in Helena, Arkansas, he enlisted a few days later, and was in for the duration of the war, mustering out in North Carolina. He walked back to Bradley County, to find that His family had moved back to Mississippi. He then walked back to Miss. to find them. How He came to be in Prairie County, Arkansas later, is not known, but there is a large presence of former rebel soldiers here, from all over. He bought the land that I currently live on in 1889. miles
Laughing you say?????

Originally Posted by Mannlicher

You pick "dumphugistan" up from some 10YO? Surely an adult can do better. In your case perhaps not.

Watch out there may be a Yankee outside the door. Best go and check...

Look, look there is another!!!!

still laughing at your fatuity. smile
Hey thanks,

Learned a new word today. Gotta give credit where credit is due.
The terms did allow them to take their horses and mules and they were supplied with food.

My Great Grandpa Patton lived in Bradley County Arkansas when Arkansas entered the war. I don't know any more than that, and Bradley County was about three times the size that it currently is. When the 2nd Arkansas Infantry was formed in Helena, Arkansas, he enlisted a few days later, and was in for the duration of the war, mustering out in North Carolina. He walked back to Bradley County, to find that His family had moved back to Mississippi. He then walked back to Miss. to find them. How He came to be in Prairie County, Arkansas later, is not known, but there is a large presence of former rebel soldiers here, from all over. He bought the land that I currently live on in 1889. miles

Miles,

It takes special people to make it thru those kinds of hard times. Many of us today may not make the cut.
Posted By: Gus Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/20/17

Miles,

It takes special people to make it thru those kinds of hard times. Many of us today may not make the cut.

your comment rings true. on the other hand, we are all descended from an extremely tough crowd. they were able to survive to breed, and thus carry forward their genetics. and here we all are.
Time capsule found inside Confederate Statue being removed.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=536159831&videoVersion=1.0

I hope there is a Confederate Flag inside. If so we need to push to have it flown over all the Confederate Capitals.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Terryk Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/21/17
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Time capsule found inside Confederate Statue being removed.

http://www.wftv.com/video?videoId=536159831&videoVersion=1.0

I hope there is a Confederate Flag inside. If so we need to push to have it flown over all the Confederate Capitals.

[Linked Image]

Very interesting. I hope to see what is in the time capsule. Thanks for the link.
interesting thought on the thread....

on top of having ancestors who fought in the Civil War... seems like we have some of us who have relatives and campfire friends
who are still fighting the civil war.

as far as slavery, it still never dawns on most folks, especially liberals and what they teach in schools "up north"...

slaves were owned mainly by less than 3% of the entire population...

and anyone who had even one or two slaves at most, that total made up less than 5% of the entire population
in slave states...
There's a new statue being erected in New Orleans to replace Robert E. Lee's statue called Robert E. Leroy. Its a black guy standing on the pedestal with his pants hanging down over his butt. Some of you may want to google that as it's been on the net lately.
My maternal grandmother's uncle was in a PA volunteer reg't, killed at Gettysburg. Found his name on the Pennsylvania Memorial there at Gettysburg.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 06/21/17
Grandpappy somewhere in this group of CSA prisoners at Fisher's Hill.

[Linked Image]
Found this and thought I'd add. Tried doing reasearch to see if I could join the Sons of the Republic of Texas, but while my family has been in Texas for 6 generations, I'm one generation off (on all sides) from being here during the Republic. Apparently my direct father's side (my last name) fought for Arkansas in the Civil War then moved to Nocona, Texas right after the war. According to family records, my family owned 5,000+ acres between modern day Nocona, Tx and Montague, Tx but was slowly split up as the next three generations had 7+ male heirs. There is still a creek named "Ritchie Creek" found between the two cities. Found this record written by a historian in California.

"He served in the CSA as a private (named William T. Richey, sic) in Captain Perry Clayton's Company, 30-Day Volunteers. This company was raised in response to Colonel Borland's call of November 5, 1861, mustered into the Confederate service on November 9, 1861, for 30 days, and discharged on December 9, 1861, at Pitman's Ferry, Arkansas. This information obtained from Bryan R. Howerton, found at www.couchgenweb.com/civilwar/clayton.html. Also on this roster were Isaac W. Armstrong, First Lieutenant; Richard DeKalb Armstrong; Thomas J. Turner; and Robert G. Richey (sic).

Tommy Ritchie next enlisted as a private on 1 November 1862 at Evening Shade, Arkansas in Co. D of the 8th Arkansas Cavalry (listed as "W.T. Richey"). At the time of enlistment his age was 37 and states he had been born in Virginia. He was detailed as butcher in this company on 1 Jul 1863. He was paroled 5 Jun 1865 at Jacksonport, Arkansas. Also in the 8th Arkansas Cavalry were David Mastin Armstrong (future son-in-law); John G. Gibbins (future son-in-law to his brother Isaac Ritchie); David's father Richard Dickson and brother Isaac Huntley Armstrong; R.D. Armstrong Sr. and Jr.; Jeptha Daniel Armstrong; and Thomas Joseph Turner (future father-in-law to Tommy's future granddaughter Sarah Lee Armstrong)."
Posted By: Odessa Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18
My Great Great Grandfather, 2nd Lieutenant Thomas King, Co D, 44th Regiment, NC State Troops, CSA.

https://www.usarmyregistry.org/Registry/Plaque.aspx?honoreeID=28945
My Great Great Grandfather, on Mom's side, Adam Whisenhunt, Sergeant, Company K, 24th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry, Confederate; CSA

I also have 2 Great Great Grandfather on Dad's side that served in the CSA out of MS & AL, one of whom lost a leg at Shiloh. Don't know their rank or units.

I do know that they came to TX immediately after the Civil War.
Yes. They were in Pennsylvania units.
My GG Grandfather

[Linked Image]

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fmofa-0

His momma was Lucy Anne Gatewood. She had a great nephew named Charles B. Gatewood who made a name for himself too!
My ancestors were still in Europe then, just wanted to say I don't call it the Civil War, either. I call it the War Between the States. I doubt anyone of the day called it the Civil War, or a Civil War, until Lincoln named it as such in the Gettysburg address. But, I could be wrong. It was explained to me once, that a civil war is between two or more factions fighting for control of a single country. YMMV.
Great, great Grandfather, Dad's side, Massachusetts Yankee, .........
Posted By: KFWA Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18
I traced our genealogy back and found relatives on both side.

One of them died in a prison camp in Alabama. Another fought for the South at Shiloh.

I guess it depends on who you call relatives, I'm sure there are more but these were in direct line of my grandfathers surname in the family tree.
On my mothers side I had two gg granddads that were in the 19th va infantry under general Garnett in pickets charge both made it out alive another got drafted to the trenches Petersburg at the age of 60 and wrote a letter home saying his eyes were full of tears from the horror he'd seen
Posted By: hanco Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18
Great great grandfather from Tennessee. The South will rise again!!
Kinda Interesting is the record of my mother's ggrandfather, one John Franklin Guthrie (the younger).

Mustered along with his brother into McCoullogh's Frontier Battalion to patrol the old trails from ft. Washita down toward Ft. Clark. After almost two years of service it appears the unit had to be disbanded and reassigned due to the troops being in such poor physical health. ( Some form of sickness decimated the ranks). He was cashiered and send home unfit for service due to poor health. The remainder of the old unit ( the healthy ones) I believe was added to the rolls of the old 12th Tx. Cavalry. Parsons Brigade.
It was not a Civil War.
I had 3 gg uncles fight at Gettysburg. One was killed there and is buried a stone's throw from where Lincoln gave his address. The last time I was at Gettysburg, his photo was in a display at the museum. I found all their names on the PA monument.
Kinda glad GG Grandpaw Guthrie missed this debacle! laugh

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/btd01
Posted By: KFWA Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18
Went to Gettysburg for the first time last year. Only got to spend an hour or so there. It was my first trip to any civil war related site. I didn't expect to be taken aback by the immensity and gravity of it.

I plan on going back. Its a must see trip for any American.
Posted By: memtb Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18
My family had a small plantation (Woodly Place off of Irene Road) north of Baton Rouge, which lost pretty much everything (all of the stock and anything that could benefit the army) after the fall of Baton Rouge to the Union. Port Hudson ( the last Confederate fortification on the Mississippi) had “not” fallen, yet. My family has paperwork signed by a Union officer, stating that the Union would repay the family after the war.....if we (The Confederacy) won. Obviously......we didn’t receive any payments.

There was a curfew imposed by the Union, which an uncle choose to disregard....he was horseback, armed, and out after curfew hours. He ran into a Union Calvary patrol a mile or so from home. They were going to arrest him....he choose to fight! Somewhat outnumbered ( many to one)....he was wounded and died of gangrene several days later in the Baton Rouge jail. memtb
Memtb

Two really nice old plantations N of BR are Rosedown and Asphodel. Used to have a big CW reenactment at Asphodel back in the 70's.

Our place was nothing like those! There is a reactment every year at Port Hudson, now! We attended 8or10 years ago. It was pretty neat to see the way they lived “back in the day”!

We’re headed down in April, to visit family and friends, we’ll be camped in St. Francisville! memtb
Originally Posted by KFWA
Went to Gettysburg for the first time last year. Only got to spend an hour or so there. It was my first trip to any civil war related site. I didn't expect to be taken aback by the immensity and gravity of it.

I plan on going back. Its a must see trip for any American.

agreed. I first visited there about 6 years ago, got chills when I stood on the spot where the South penetrated the Union line briefly. to think of the thousands of casualties that occurred there in a few short days, is very sad.
Originally Posted by memtb
... My family has paperwork signed by a Union officer, stating that the Union would repay the family after the war.....if we (The Confederacy) won. Obviously......we didn’t receive any payments...

memtb

That is a cool artifact!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18

He must have felt very strongly about the issues involved with the war.

To "re-fight" it would imply that it ended at some point.
Posted By: barm Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/03/18

On my dad's side, his name was John and he served for the Union Army and lived in Bedford County, PA. After the war, he moved to Virginia and bought a farm. I always thought I was southern, but I guess I am the direct descendant of a carpetbagger laugh
My great grandfather Jacob Gregg, and his brother, Capt. William H Gregg my great uncle, served with distinction in CSA guerrilla band of Quantrills Raiders.That group had several men of later notoriety, Jesse and Frank James and the Younger brothers among them. Both survived and prospered after the war becoming Sheriffs of various counties in Mo and Texas.
I have a Confederate forge cap that reportedly belonged to a great uncle on my father's side. Supposedly he came home on leave, and forgot it. What little information I've been able to dig up indicates he was a standard bearer who was killed at the battle of Reseca, GA.

Lots of folks have never understood.....IT AIN'T OVER YET!!
I have a copy of the diary kept by a relative of my Mom's uncle's wife. He was a "joiner, artificer, and Blacksmith" who joined Battery "C" of Busteed's Chicago Light Artillery in September of 1861 and was assigned to Company "G" of the 1st New York Light Artillery in November of that year.

July 2, 1863 " took up the march at 5 AM-halted just south of Getsburg - then we was attached to the 3RD Corps -thare has not been much fighting so far - the Art. is getting into position in the heights - the Battery left a 3 o'clock this afternoon for the front - 5 o'clock the ball has opened prety brisk - all the baggage and battery wagons are moving to the rear - the Battery came out at 7 o'clock - 5 men wounded 3 of them very badly - 7 horses kiled - thare was the whole of the regular Battery K o the 4th. taken whare we was (Peach Orchard) - they releaved our Battery.

July 3: the fight has just comenced - the first gun was fired at 5 minutes of 4 o'clock - the canonading is very hevy -9 o'clock the Battery has gone to the front - the firing on our left-just now 1 o'clock the heaviest cononadering that was every known - Malvern Hill is left fare in the shade - 2 o'clock the canonadoing is not quite so hevy - the fighting is very sevear on our left - the infantry is engaged - tonight our Artilery is coming back after being releaved - most of it is badly used up. "A" of the 4th. is used up - only go B? 8? 13? guns left - Pettists (Pickets) lost all their men."
Yep but all my kin fought for the north. Many from New Hampshire and Massachusetts. One of my kin, Matthew Thornton, signed the Declaration of Independence and his signature is the last signature on the document. As I am from Irish (and German) ancestry many of them fought for a measly paycheck and some stale food. The German part of my family also fought for the north and I believe they fought for the same reason that my Irish kin did, to eat. We assign a lot of political ideology to the reason for fighting for the north and south but the reality is that many just needed a job so they could support their families and serving their new home was an honorable and expected show of loyalty to this new nation. The Irish were treated poorly in their new home so going into the military was probably several steps up in treatment than what they were used to.
I would imagine that the ones who fought for those reasons, as well as for adventure or just to satisfy their lust to fight, far out-numbered those who fought for some ideal.
Many “northerners” had no choice....they were “drafted”! At least that is what I understand! memtb
There are two tombstones in our family cemetery with CSA engraved on them, from the Douglas County Cavalry. Douglas County is a heckuva long ways from Chariton County, where the cemetery is, so I don't have any idea how they buried there. Both of them died in late '65, WAY after the war was over, so I wonder if they were murdered by locals on their way home, or just by the murdering bastards of Macon County, which abuts Chariton, and was of Union bent (Chariton County was predominantly disposed to the South).

Since northern Missouri was so split, there's no telling what happened to them. They might not even be kinfolk, but it's our family's cemetery, with the same surnames, so it's a mystery. Next time I'm out that way, I'll see if I can look into it.
I found a copy of the discharge papers of my relative on line. I believe he was my great-grandfather's great-uncle. They shared the same name. He served in Co D Woods Reg MO Cav CSA. His discharge papers showed his rank as Pvt but the muster rolls showed his rank as Sgt. He was captured at Mound City Kans. on 10/25/64 and was paroled from Alton Military Prison for exchange on 6/7/65. It is fascinating what you can find on the internet.
Here is my great grandfathers brother second from the left LT Atanacio Vidaurri...on either side are 2 Capts Benavides (brothers) and far right is Capt Leyndecker all from the 33rd Calv Laredo texas my home town.

Lucio

Attached picture a vidaurri.jpg
Originally Posted by shortround3
Here is my great grandfathers brother second from the left LT Atanacio Vidaurri...on either side are 2 Capts Benavides (brothers) and far right is Capt Leyndecker all from the 33rd Calv Laredo texas my home town.

Lucio

Santos Benavides was quite the soldier in south Texas back in those days!!! A great man!

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbe47

Btw that is an awesome photograph!!!
Posted By: SU35 Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/04/18
My grandfathers grandfather.

John Kiggins

http://mohmuseum.org/medal_of_honor/kiggins-john/
i know i have some from the war of northern aggression and some from the revolutionary war. i'm just started digging into all this.
My great uncle was in the 1st. Minnesota. He fought at Battles of First Bull Run, Antietam and Gettysburg. He received a Metal of Honor after Gettysburg .
After surviving the Civil War he came home but decided farming wasn't for him so he joined up with the 7th Cavalry as a saddler.
He survive the Battle of Little Big Horn and received another Metal of Honor.
He died from pneumonia in the Black Hills at age 76.
Frank Baldwin?

P
Posted By: las Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/04/18
You mean ours?

Nope. My grandparents both sides were immigrants. Legal. We had to buy our way in.... smile
Had many in the CSA, 1st SC regulars, heavy artillery, protecting Charleston, SC Calvary and several in GA calvary on my Mom's side.GA folks were from Social Circle and Covington, GA.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ancestors In The Civil War? - 03/04/18
While all your kin were annihilating each other, my Kraut ancestors were happily making rope back in Marburg. Good old Great Grandpa Georg had a sinecure from the government. He was the appointed church bell pull rope maker for the district. With that sort of stilted societal pigeon-holing, you can see why his youngest son emigrated here.

On Mom's side, there were three civil war veterans. Two were officers that served in Pennsylvania regiments. One was in the cavalry. We're still in the process of tracking them down. The one we know most about is Lewis Davidson Williams. He'd only recently arrived in America from Wales, where he'd been a harness maker. When Elmer Ellsworth was assassinated in May of '61. Lewis left his wife, 8 months pregnant, and enlisted. He probably went in at Camp Dennison, outside Cincinnati. We're still tracking down his story, but it would appear he was an Ohio Artilleryman. If so, he would have arrived by boat at Pittsburg Landing in April of 1862 and been in on Shiloh.

We do know for sure that upon leaving. His wife, Letitia, asked him what to name the child when it was born. He said, "If it's a boy, name him Elmer Ellsworth!" He came home after the end of hosilities in 1865 and met little Elmer for the first time. Elmer was my great grandfather. Ellsworth is my middle name.

We have hit a bit of a snag in getting his whole story. The only Lewis Davidson Williams on any roll died at camp in February 1862. I was beginning to despair, until I found this in Leander Stillwell's memoir.

There was a battery of light artillery on this line, about a quarter of a mile to our right, on a slight elevation of the ground. It was right flush up with the infantry line of battle, and oh, how those artillery men handled their guns! It seemed to me that there was the roar of a cannon from that battery about every other second. When ramming cartridge, I sometimes glanced in that direction. The men were big fellows, stripped to the waist, their white skins flashing in the sunlight, and they were working like I have seen men doing when fighting a big fire in the woods. I fairly gloated over the fire of that battery. "Give it to them, my sons of thunder!" I would say to myself; "Knock the ever-lastin' stuffin' out of 'em!" And, as I ascertained after the battle, they did do frightful execution.

Stillwell was in an Illinois voluteer infantry unit and had been on the flank of the salient at the Hornets Nest. He had been withdrawn from that position and been moved to a couple other when in the late forenoon, he'd been placed to defend an artillery battery. It drew my attention, because it describes white skins flashing in the sunlight. My mothers father, Ellsworth, was nicknamed "Whitey." Men of his bloodline had nearly translucent white skin and platinum blond hair. When I read judge Stillwell's description, I could not help but think of Lewis Davidson Williams. In April, he would have been as white as a sheet.
My great-great- great grandfather on my Dad’s side fought for the South, was captured at Shiloh, and was released in a prisoner exchange, according to a book about my family. He survived the war and died from a snakebite in 1879, not quite 38 years old.

On my Mom’s side we are related to Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard. My grandmother was born in 1896 and told us her Mother knew him. He also fought for the South.
My GG Grandfather and 4 of his brothers, Co. G, I'st Tennessee Cavalry.
Mine all were in the confederate army
GGG Grandfather Samuel Pickens Harris 10th SCVI Co.K survived
His son my GG Grandfather John Harris 2nd SC Rifles Co.C Killed at battle of Ft. Harrison Va. Sept 30 1864
GG Grandfather John T. McCullough 3rd GVI Wounded and captured at Gettysburg died of typhoid fever July 27 1863 at the Letterman Hospital
GG Grandfather David Dell Lunsford 29th NCVI Captured held at Ft.Delaware prison till the end of war.
My grandmother (born 1900) had a great uncle who was killed at Gettysburg while serving with a regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers. We found his name on the Pennsylvania Memorial on the battlefield after she mentioned it in passing one day.
Great, great grandfather John M. Whitaker 12th KY volunteers Union
Originally Posted by wayne24263
My GG Grandfather and 4 of his brothers, Co. G, I'st Tennessee Cavalry.

I mean no offense by asking this: was that the 1st Tennessee Cavalry Regt. C.S. Army or 1st Tennessee Cavalry Regt. U.S. Army?
© 24hourcampfire