Home
Posted By: IndyCA35 Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
Does anyone know what it was? I heard scoped AR15 but also "curved" clip. AK47?

Military ammo? The doctor at the press conference today said the bullet fragmented into more than 100 pieces. Another doctor said "military bullets do that." (?) Varmint bullet? The wound seems a lot worse than what you'd expect from a FMJ .223 bullet. Would the homeless perp know anything but to use the cheapest ammo possible?

He was obviously a lousy shot, fortunately for us. Otherwise the guards would not have been able to take him out with pistols.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
what i have been picking up it was a S.K.S. easy to modify for a a.k. mag.
the paratrooper version came with a 30 round mag.
If he got hit in the pelvis, one of the worst hits you can take, that bone could have fractured all over the place.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
I heard a host on a radio talk show say that it was some type of "A K Variant" and that the shooter was using cheap FMJ steel case 7.62x39 of Russian manufacture. But who knows for sure? That could have come from a media person who thinks every semi-auto rifle in the world is either an AK 47 or an AR-15.
it was an SKS.

The would was a "Transverse pelvic" wound, entering on the right side of the hip, and exiting out the left side, indicating to me FMJ ammo.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
I'm sure it was an SKS with a Tapco 20 round magazine. I'm pretty sure that some of the witness said he had problems with it to. Those duckfoot Tapcos are real easy to get in there just slightly wrong and then they won't feed. Under stress, you're just about guaranteed to do it.
Posted By: viking Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
Ah the irony, a commie using a commie rifle.
Posted By: JoeBob Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/16/17
Some idiot on Mark Levin claiming to be a former marine and retired NYPD was going on and on about the "SKS .60 caliber machine gun". It wasn't a slip of the tongue either. He said it over and over.
A reporter on Foxnews said "7.62 rifle" which would likely indicate an AK or SKS. The reporter also said "it could easily take down an elephant". Idiot reporters. LOL
It did...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 79S Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
I remember as young 18 yr old seeing flyers selling those sks for 69.99 in some cases even cheaper ah the glory days..
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
One report said it was a "hunting rifle", while another dubbed it, and I quote, a "large gauge rifle". I was thinking "Who the f*ck knew they made a high capacity, rapid fire 8 bore?"
I am pretty sure it was a SKS.
I heard from an on site witness who rendered medical aid that there was no exit wound.
But the poor guy was sideways to the shooter, the bullet went through both hips. That is a nasty wound, all the bones of the pelvis, plus the top of the thigh bones going up in there.
Plus big arteries, such as the femoral artery run through there. Guy is lucky to be alive.

"Some idiot on Mark Levin claiming to be a former marine and retired NYPD was going on and on about the "SKS .60 caliber machine gun". It wasn't a slip of the tongue either. He said it over and over."

I heard that guy tonight. Said he was a Marine sergeant and NYPD cop. He called it a "762 mm 60 caliber machine gun." Said it three times.
I am surprised that Levin didn't call him out on it.

The guy also had a 9mm pistol I suspect that his SKS jammed early on, and that the lengthy gun battle with the 2 cops was pistol vs pistol.
Tough duty to take on a SKS with a .40 Glock
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Military ammo? The doctor at the press conference today said the bullet fragmented into more than 100 pieces. Another doctor said "military bullets do that." (?) Varmint bullet? The wound seems a lot worse than what you'd expect from a FMJ .223 bullet. Would the homeless perp know anything but to use the cheapest ammo possible?

He was obviously a lousy shot, fortunately for us. Otherwise the guards would not have been able to take him out with pistols.

"would not have been able to take him out with pistols"

Why???
I was told today that Scalisi was a major push on the hearing protection act. Was that a coincidence? Maybe someone can shed some light on this. The guy that told me is involved in the Suppressor business and has been following things. Doesn't mean he's right though. But inquiring minds and all.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
On the initial reports they said it was a M4. Just goes to show, they always just say anything.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
When I was on site at the Umpqua Comm College shootings a few years ago, I saw first hand that the reporters were being told
what to say, that the shooter carried.... nothing based on fact whatsoever...

Their home office was essentially telling them what to report....

They were only on scene, just to use that as a background....

Taught me to learn to not believe a darn thing you hear on those type of reports...
it just occured to me where that "60 caliber" statement might be coming from.... but it would have to be a Navy guy not a Marine..

Naval guns are stated in diameter and "caliber" where Caliber is the barrel LENGTH divided by bore diameter. (or number of diameters long the barrel is)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber_(artillery)

so a .30 cal (rifle speak) with an 18" barrel would be a "60 caliber" in artillery speak. or maybe a .30/60 caliber or 7.62/60 caliber

I thought the SKS was longer than 18" tho....

we all know NO ONE in the media and almost no one in government has ANY knowledge of anything even mildly technical, such as guns...

Poole
Posted By: wldthg Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
"He called it a "762 mm 60 caliber machine gun."
Many a Viet Veteran refer to the great M-60 machine gun as a 60 cal. machine gun --- even some former guntruckers that cut their teeth on a M-60 call it a 60 cal. machine gun. Never ever called M-2 an M-2- that was just a 50 . They should had made it simple M-60 ( MG- 7.62 ) or MG- .308 -- M-2 ( MG- .50 )
M-79 ( Shotgun 40)---- Military also has jumped back and forth between .cal and m/m ----
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
. . .I heard that guy tonight. Said he was a Marine sergeant and NYPD cop. He called it a "762 mm 60 caliber machine gun." Said it three times.
I am surprised that Levin didn't call him out on it. . . .

Levin is a New York City boy, just like O'Reilly. Neither would know the difference between an SKS and a 105 recoiless rifle. O'Reilly is famous for referring to rifles shooting .223 ammo as "heavy artillery." grin

When I heard the retort of the rifle on that cell phone video, I said to myself, that did not sound like .223, but more like .30. SKS or MAK 90 sounds about right.

If there were actually some forty, fifty shots fired, it seemed the guy was insufficiently motivated to kill or was incompetent or had problems operating whatever cheap variant semi-auto he had or all three.. A serious gunny who knew his stuff could have killed and seriously wounded many more the security detail with handguns notwithstanding.

The chief of trauma announced the very serious wound was caused by secondary bullet fragments. I wonder if he misspoke and that the bullet was a FMJ and the secondary and very serious wounds were instead caused by flying bone fragments which are no less serious.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

If there were actually some forty, fifty shots fired, it seemed the guy was insufficiently motivated to kill or was incompetent or had problems operating whatever cheap variant semi-auto he had or all three.. A serious gunny who knew his stuff could have killed and seriously wounded many more the security detail with handguns notwithstanding.

Agreed. When I heard the congressman that got hit in the leg describe how he laid down on the field and had "bullets hitting all around him" I thought how lucky he was that the shooter probably A) never sighted in his gun, B) was a bad shot to begin with and C) was using a gun that shot minute of paper-plate. I bet most shooters could've done more damage with a Marlin 1895......
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/17/17
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

"would not have been able to take him out with pistols"

Why???

Some people believe it's impossible to effectively engage a target with a handgun much past 25 paces.
The 7.62 makes a distinctive sound when fired at you.
Once heard it will stay with you the rest of your life.

Even the bullets flying past will sound different.

Just glad he had problems with his firearm,whatever type is was.
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
A reporter on Foxnews said "7.62 rifle" which would likely indicate an AK or SKS. The reporter also said "it could easily take down an elephant". Idiot reporters. LOL

Yeah I heard a report saying it was a 30 caliber round, which I assume means AR10 or AK variant. BTW, there are some law enforcement Hornady rounds in 110 grain 30 cal that are designed for ~100% fragmentation and are designed for hostage taker/urban sniper type shooting. Maybe it was a similar round.
Posted By: kellory Re: Shooter's Weapon and Ammo - 06/18/17
http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/15/news/sks-rifle-gop-baseball-field-attack/index.html
© 24hourcampfire