Home
Posted By: Ringman For the Christians to ponder - 06/20/17
"The Fourth of the Ten Commandments instructed Moses and the Israelites to work for six days and rest for one. God explained the rationale: “For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day” (Exodus 20:11). If Creation Week lasted millions or billions of years, how could it possibly serve as the model for the work week described in the Ten Commandments?

Hebrew scholar Dr. Steven Boyd has conducted a statistical analysis of 522 Old Testament passages. He found that poetic and narrative passages could be categorized with a better than 99% accuracy based on the verb usage alone. Dr. Boyd’s analysis showed conclusively that Genesis 1 is narrative history, not poetry. This means the only way to interpret it properly is as history, looking for its straightforward, historical meaning.

The immediate context of each appearance of day in Genesis 1 conclusively establishes their length. Each day is marked by “evening and morning."
Posted By: Gus Re: For the Christians to ponder - 06/20/17
in my simple mind, i've always thought that the Urth spinning on it's axis at nearly about 24 hour rotation meant the sun coming up every morning, and going down every night, on average, as it varies through out the year based upon the orbit of the urth around der sun.

we're fixin' to experience the summer solstice once again. it happens every year. but you might be thinking about something else entirely?
15 pages. Minimum.

This is my total contribution to it... whistle
Who among you can comprehend His time?

I can't.
Yeah, this is exactly what people come to a "hunting and shooting" site to see.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Who among you can comprehend His time?

I can't.

It's very easy. Take God at His Word. God does not exist in time. He created and named time and described and defined it in Genesis 1. Time does not exist for God, but for man. And true to his nature man tries to get ahead of God and tell Him He doesn't know what He is doing in His description, "light day and darkness night", "evening and morning; one day". Another generation and man will tell God He made a mistake calling man "male and female".
The answer to this question is easy... The Bible says man will never know everything and not to be discouraged because he doesn't.
Posted By: Gus Re: For the Christians to ponder - 06/21/17
the rotation of the urth on it's axis goes a long way in explaining the morning sun rising, and the evening sun passing over the horizon.

but, what powers the rotation of the urth on a scheduled or "consistent" basis? the urth just keeps on rotating on it's axis as it revolves around the sun. the 24 hour and 1 year pattern.

does anyone besides me think it's all very strange?

I am studying this top generally at present and have been for some time. Very briefly, the Hebrew word "yom" means "day." In the context of almost all it's usages in the OT but particularly in the creation narrative, the context doubtless implies one light-dark, 24-hour period.

I won't go any further to avoid being embroiled in argument except to say 1) that I believe God created the universe and everything in it in six days and rested the seventh not that he needed to but as a model for us, thus I am a Young Earth Christian. 2). I know that there are believers who believe in a six day creation but believe there were eons or epochs preceding that creation period -- I disagree with that after studying the science and theology..

Neither science nor creation by a divine intelligence can be proven but after long study I believe the known facts -- the science we can confirm -- best fits the Biblical creation narrative in the most common understanding of the words..
Originally Posted by Snyper

No one came to see chitt from you. This however, is interesting for inquiring minds. We are all too familiar with your closed one, much to our chagrin
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
15 pages. Minimum.

This is my total contribution to it... whistle

Chicken. wink
My notion is that Time is part of His creation, and He's not subject to, or constrained by it.

He did what He did, and I don't worry about how.
I'll stay out of this one!

Geno
Posted By: 700LH Re: For the Christians to ponder - 06/21/17
Question: Doesn’t 2 Peter 3:8 indicate that the days of creation might not be literal, but thousands of years long?

Answer: 2 Peter 3:8–9 reads:

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

Mortal men trying to figure this out is about like trying to teach an ant advanced calculus
Originally Posted by Snyper

No, we all come to hear what an ass like you has to say.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Question: Doesn’t 2 Peter 3:8 indicate that the days of creation might not be literal, but thousands of years long?

‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’

Mortal men trying to figure this out is about like trying to teach an ant advanced calculus

Why would time matter at all to God? Why would he measure what is his in infinite supply? Most of all, why would I get all wrapped around the axle about something that quite frankly just does not matter at all? I believe, I have faith, and that's it. End of story.

No, but that is the verse "old agers" often allude to. But, it seems to mean that to an eternal God time is meaningless -- a dimension He created but is free of or not limited by. One analogy pertaining to this is life is like a parade moving down the street while God is above looking down, seeing the beginning and the end simultaneously -- pretty simplistic but it needs to be for the human mind to apprehend the concept.

Again, in Genesis "yom" is used in the context of a 24-hour time period or one light-darkness cycle.
I understand the natural curiosity on this, but what matter to God is what we are doing for him. We are called to serve.

Usually folks talk about context except this and other verses that are really easy to understand. The context here is about God's patients.
No human can comprehend a Self Existant Being, unbound by space or time.

The human who wrote Genesis didn't know anymore about God than what is available to each one of us today.

God is to be apprehended, not comprehended.
Posted By: CCCC Re: For the Christians to ponder - 06/21/17
Answer: 2 Peter 3:8–9 reads:‘But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.’ Mortal men trying to figure this out is about like trying to teach an ant advanced calculus

I am not a Bible expert and have avoided quoting Scripture to date, but my long-studied view is that Peter was not speaking of or questioning beliefs about specifically measured time - days/hours/seconds. I think that he was drawing out the vast differences and distinctions between what God is capable of doing/seeing/feeling as compared with human capabilities. Mortals do seem to have significant trouble trying to figure some of these things - include me.
The number of days that it took God to create all that is known, is totally irrelevant to my faith.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

The human who wrote Genesis didn't know anymore about God than what is available to each one of us today.

I understand Texas Grand juries are tough, but how did you get one to issue a warrant for God?
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
The number of days that it took God to create all that is known, is totally irrelevant to my faith.

But you are still a Young Earth Creationist, so the Biblical creation fable must have some relevance to you.
God is very, very, very good to me. I love Him a lot. I don't sweat the small stuff.

P
I belive whatever I want to belive of the bible.. seems legit that everybody can have its own interpretation.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I understand Texas Grand juries are tough, but how did you get one to issue a warrant for God?

The idea, if not the actual words, for my post came from C S Lewis, and he answered your question.

You "catch" God in the same way you catch a cold......... you allow Him to breathe on you.

Associating with people who have " caught" Him increases the likelihood you will be infected with Him...... just like with a cold.
Posted By: CCCC Re: For the Christians to ponder - 06/22/17
Maybe time to again to read some "Screwtape Letters"
© 24hourcampfire