Home
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/06/170622083020.htm

Frequent sexual activity can boost brain power in older adults

Researchers found that people who engaged in more regular sexual activity scored higher on tests that measured their verbal fluency and their ability to visually perceive objects and the spaces between them.

The study, published today in The Journals of Gerontology, Series B: Psychological and Social Sciences, involved 73 people aged between 50 and 83.

Participants filled in a questionnaire on how often, on average, they had engaged in sexual activity over the past 12 months -- whether that was never, monthly or weekly -- as well as answering questions about their general health and lifestyle.

The 28 men and 45 women also took part in a standardized test, which is typically used to measure different patterns of brain function in older adults, focusing on attention, memory, fluency, language and visuospatial ability.

This included verbal fluency tests in which participants had 60 seconds to name as many animals as possible, and then to say as many words beginning with F as they could -- tests which reflect higher cognitive abilities.

They also took part in tests to determine their visuospatial ability which included copying a complex design and drawing a clock face from memory.

It was these two sets of tests where participants who engaged in weekly sexual activity scored the most highly, with the verbal fluency tests showing the strongest effect.

The results suggested that frequency of sexual activity was not linked to attention, memory or language. In these tests, the participants performed just as well regardless of whether they reported weekly, monthly or no sexual activity.

This study expanded on previous research from 2016, which found that older adults who were sexually active scored higher on cognitive tests than those who were not sexually active.

But this time the research looked more specifically at the impact of the frequency of sexual activity (i.e. does it make a difference how often you engage in sexual activity) and also used a broader range of tests to investigate different areas of cognitive function.

The academics say further research could look at how biological elements, such as dopamine and oxytocin, could influence the relationship between sexual activity and brain function to give a fuller explanation of their findings.

Lead researcher Dr Hayley Wright, from Coventry University's Centre for Research in Psychology, Behaviour and Achievement, said:

"We can only speculate whether this is driven by social or physical elements -- but an area we would like to research further is the biological mechanisms that may influence this.

"Every time we do another piece of research we are getting a little bit closer to understanding why this association exists at all, what the underlying mechanisms are, and whether there is a 'cause and effect' relationship between sexual activity and cognitive function in older people.

"People don't like to think that older people have sex -- but we need to challenge this conception at a societal level and look at what impact sexual activity can have on those aged 50 and over, beyond the known effects on sexual health and general wellbeing."

Sex is good! Done right. Legally, morally-

Oh hell, its good all the time!

so I'm told.... it's the begging.... smile
I really thought this would get more traction. I'll give it a try over on the granny lovers forum.
Does watching Carls Jr TV ads count?
Originally Posted by kingston
I really thought this would get more traction. I'll give it a try over on the granny lovers forum.

Hey, the researcher said "a 'cause and effect' relationship between sexual activity and cognitive function in older people." Maybe your unrealistic expectations are the "effect" of too little "cause".
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Does watching Carls Jr TV ads count?

Foreplay.
Only one hand on the remote.
This explains why I am incredibly smart.
Hey, what do you think this is....a weekend?
Get back to work.

Slave

P.S. I was alot smarter when I was 20.
Hmm mm, Doc told me I had to knock off half my sex life...

So I asked which half? The thinking about it or the talking about it...
So smarter smooth talkers get laid more,,,,, man thats old news
How do you guys think I'm so "smart"? Hell, I have to keep up with the wife anyway!
Been feeling sorta speechless, uhhh conversationally slow lately. Makes sense now.
Need to show this to my bride . . . when she gets home from her 3 week vacation. She has always been sort of a one-track-mind kinda woman . . . all she ever thinks about is anything BUT sex wink .
More is better, that's great.
Guess old Ernest Borgnine's secret to long life had merit after all. hahahahahahahaha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_PeLNzxNQ
Guess I better go visit the basement and bump my IQ a coupla points more.

I already bees so smarts I dunno if'n that's possble tho.

Geno
Status reports?
Buddy told me once that right 'in the middle of it'......his wife pipes up and asked..."Did you pay the insurance?"

That's real concentration!

He told it it went downhill from then on!!
Does another person have to be in the room?
Originally Posted by Steve
Does another person have to be in the room?

Now there is the campfire I respect.
After reading the title, I was hoping you were going to say Meisha Tate was looking for a May/Dec romance.
Originally Posted by sawbuck
After reading the title, I was hoping you were going to say Meisha Tate was looking for a May/Dec romance.

These guys don't know who that is, and she's still with Bryan Caraway...but I like Meisha
[Linked Image]

She's no Arianny tho smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Just practicing pictures guys smile

Attached picture 3dfc79c66ba16fcb7e4474a938246730.jpg
Attached picture arianny-celeste-fitness-gurls-13.1404234904.jpg
Attached picture ac.jpg
I had an Uncle that said its "Just another chore"
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Been feeling sorta speechless, uhhh conversationally slow lately. Makes sense now.

Words escape me! Kno fuggin wonner!
Many studies find sex releases endorphins, decreases depression, reduces stress and lowers blood pressure. Its probably why our Creator gave us that capability 365 days a year. The greatest things in life are supposed to be free anyway. Too bad so many want to profit from it, or maybe not.

Here is just one more.

http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2012/08/can-sex-reduce-depression-and-increase-intell/
Someone tell my wife!
The one in the Fall is usually very good.....
I resent being called "older" BTW... laugh
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Someone tell my wife!

Ha! You think women dont know that men with no sex life have higher rates of prostate cancer and that prostate sx leaves men unable to perform?
Originally Posted by Dutch
The one in the Fall is usually very good.....

ROFLMFAO
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I resent being called "older" BTW... laugh

I'm relieved you knew this was for you.
I told mine 43 years ago, I need sex every 48 hours or I get headache's! She bought stock in Bayer !
© 24hourcampfire