Home
I've spent a few days perusing a new photo hosting website to replace "BotoPhucket" and registered at both Flickr and Imgur.

It turns out that Flickr is part of Yahoo (Boo!) and also that in order to do bulk uploads, you have to be a paying member of their Pro Level - which is exactly what I was trying to escape. It's only $30 a year, but that's still extortion in my view. You can store up to a terabyte of photos with them, which is almost half a million photos. But who wants to upload that many pics one at a time? Not I, Charley.

Imgur is free. You can do bulk uploads, and put them into albums. Albums can be public, Hidden, or Secret, in increasing order of security. The process is a bit confusing at first, but I managed. More importantly, the web address starts with "https" so it meets Rick's new guidelines. Here's a test post...

[Linked Image]

I want to thank Rick Bin for creating a way to store and post here. But I do visit more than this website and needed a secure way to post pictures to those other forums as well. I'm going with IMGUR. For now, anyway.
Good info. Thanks for that Rocky. I am sitting on the sidelines watching and deciding what to do after I read posts like yours.

Thanks Rocky. I losing motivation in dealing with PB even before the latest change. I will look into IMGUR.
Good info. I too will check out IMGUR.

You're fishing so that can't be the GSL. Willard bay?
I know its been run into the ground but I really question the timing of photobucket when there are a number of competing options to do various things.

I assume microsoft , amazon and google don't have the direct link option but they do allow you to store a vast number of photos.

Seems like photobucket would have addressed the casual user by putting limits on the number of times a photo could be shared/viewed thereby resulting in the heavy users who they are targeting to spend money while the light user would still be allowed to do the "hey look at my ....." usage that so many of have grown accustom to for free, or only a few dollars per year.

I would have paid $5 a year just because its so ingrained in my life.
"
That is indeed Willard Bay. Photo taken by the world famous Tube Dude, for whom I returned the favor...

[Linked Image]

That was as easy as scroll down to find the photo, click on it. Then click on the Large Thumbail sizing option, then on the BBCode box. Come back here and paste. Except for the sizing option, it's as easy as PB used to be.

I wanted to stay away from Yahoo as well, so signed up with IMGUR also.

Only downfall I see is a 250 pic max on the free side, so each one over the limit erases one from the beginning.

First pic success:

[Linked Image]
I uploaded eight albums from PB, and one of them had 249 photos in it. They are all still there on Imgur. So I'm not sure about that 250 limit.

I just looked at the FAQ section and found this: "There is an upload limit of 50 images per IP address per hour. There is no upload limit per account, so upload to your heart's desire!"

Even that may be incorrect, as I stated above. I uploaded all eight albums in about 15 minutes.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I uploaded eight albums from PB, and one of them had 249 photos in it. They are all still there on Imgur. So I'm not sure about that 250 limit.

I just looked at the FAQ section and found this: "There is an upload limit of 50 images per IP address per hour. There is no upload limit per account, so upload to your heart's desire!"

Even that may be incorrect, as I stated above. I uploaded all eight albums in about 15 minutes.

They likely only enforce the speed limit when traffic is heavy... otherwise they would look small and mean...
[Linked Image]

What seems to be the problem using Photobucket? It seems to be working for me

Rocky
There is something different about your pix and mine and aalf's

yours...http://i.imgur.com/elx5VqXl.jpg - no S

mine...http://i.imgur.com/vL5F98s.gif - no S

aalf's...https://i.imgur.com/gkKeR2Hl.jpg - his has the S

How did he do that?

[Linked Image]
I think I may have success:
[Linked Image]

Imgur worked, now to delete my PB account........
Now I'm really confused, I went back to IMGUR and looked at the links

[Linked Image]

and none of them has the S

Fess up aalf, how did you do that smile
Hmmmm. Everything on the Imgur site has the secure s - except when I click on one of my photos and then it disappears. Asd above. You posted at the same time I did.
Misleading to get ya to use the site???????
How about this, I just added the S to the link and......VIOLA
https://i.imgur.com/vL5F98s.gif

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Buckskin
[Linked Image]

sorry to post his sorry ass pic again, BUT the potential for a good ending was too good to pass up!
So does this one...

[Linked Image]
Rocky
I wished you would have used a different pix smile butt here it is again with the S

[Linked Image]
Postimage.org is a piece of cake

[Linked Image]
Steelhead

I also opened a POSTIMAGE account and uploaded some pix, but after reading the "terms" that said if I didn't upgrade to a paying account in 30 days it would change to a different account.

I will wait 30 days before spending a lot of time on it only to find it doesn't work
Finally got the PB site to download my photos to my computer, left the account open just to piss them off. Don't intend to ever go back.
Originally Posted by ClaysEtc
Steelhead

I also opened a POSTIMAGE account and uploaded some pix, but after reading the "terms" that said if I didn't upgrade to a paying account in 30 days it would change to a different account.

I will wait 30 days before spending a lot of time on it only to find it doesn't work

I see absolutely nothing about having to pay
I was going to sign up for Flikr, but it kept getting me in a Yahoo sign-in loop and then it asked for a phone number, which wasn't going to happen. I am going to let things shake out a while before worrying about photo uploads. For now, I am just posting YouTube stuff.

Yes, Imgur is free. But you need to realize that anything you post to it belongs to THEM in perpetuity, even if you later delete it:

"With regard to any file or content you upload to the public portions of our site, you grant Imgur a non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable worldwide license (with sublicense and assignment rights) to use, to display online and in any present or future media, to create derivative works of, to allow downloads of, and/or distribute any such file or content. To the extent that you delete any such file or content from the public portions of our site, the license you grant to Imgur pursuant to the preceding sentence will automatically terminate, but will not be revoked with respect to any file or content Imgur has already copied and sublicensed or designated for sublicense. Also, of course, anything you post to a public portion of our site may be used by the public pursuant to the following paragraph even after you delete it."

What's more, they REALLY don't want you posting Imgur pics to ANY other site:

"Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it."

Same here.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Postimage.org is a piece of cake

[Linked Image]

How did you make your album private? If I'm logged in to postimage.org my account is wide open...
Use direct link
Use direct link

Direct link just posts the link, then you have to click the link to see pic, any other ideas?
Ok I got direct link between [img] and [/img], thanks.

[Linked Image]
Not if you put [img] in front of the link and [/img] at the end of the link
When is The campfire planning on blocking the posting of pictures from websites that use the http format instead of https? I have asked my picture hosting site (Picture Trail) if they plan on making the conversion to https and explained the situation, but as of yet I have not received a reply.
The only problem I see with Imgur is that any "Free" model is doomed to failure long term.

Data storage costs money. Bandwidth costs money.

So how does Imgur make money? At some point, they have to or they cease to be a going concern.

I don't fault PBucket for trying to make a buck...but I sure do fault them for how they did it. I terminated my account with them and haven't decided where I will yet. Do I think it makes a difference to them? No. No matter how I calculate it, PB makes more money without me (saves bandwidth, etc.). Even if just 10% of their base decides to renew, then they make that much more money.
As yet, I haven't received a bill from photobucket, yet it still works for posting pictures. Is the Campfire getting ready to ban photobucket hosted images or something?
[Linked Image]

This is quite obviously photoshopped. I mean really. Obama in work boots. crazy
A bit from the PB folks.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/06/photobucket-complaints-over-charging/
Originally Posted by rnovi
The only problem I see with Imgur is that any "Free" model is doomed to failure long term.

So how does Imgur make money? At some point, they have to or they cease to be a going concern.

I don't fault PBucket for trying to make a buck...but I sure do fault them for how they did it. I terminated my account with them and haven't decided where I will yet. Do I think it makes a difference to them? No. No matter how I calculate it, PB makes more money without me (saves bandwidth, etc.). Even if just 10% of their base decides to renew, then they make that much more money.

You think photobucket does not get paid for all the ads on their site???

I haven't deleted my PB account yet and have a wait and see attitude. Even if I delete my account with them, no harm, no foul. I had great, free use out of PB for years and bear them no ill will. I think trying to charge the amount they are attempting to is stupid, but what do I know? I also don't like the way they did things, but that's up to them.

I've had a Flikr account for years also. I'd use it here when PB periodically [bleep]. Flikr was never as user-friendly as PB IMO. It became increasingly so to the point that I can't even seem to post pics from my account there anymore. I've asked about it on here before but nobody ever replies.

I appreciate Rick hosting pics but the problem I see is that you have to downsize the pics to a tiny size.

I'm currently using Imgur and it seems okay.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I haven't deleted my PB account yet and have a wait and see attitude. Even if I delete my account with them, no harm, no foul. I had great, free use out of PB for years and bear them no ill will. I think trying to charge the amount they are attempting to is stupid, but what do I know? I also don't like the way they did things, but that's up to them.

I've had a Flikr account for years also. I'd use it here when PB periodically [bleep]. Flikr was never as user-friendly as PB IMO. It became increasingly so to the point that I can't even seem to post pics from my account there anymore. I've asked about it on here before but nobody ever replies.

I appreciate Rick hosting pics but the problem I see is that you have to downsize the pics to a tiny size.

Does no one read anymore. Rick raised the size to 8meg
I registered on Imgur and used the "Direct Link" which uses a prefix of http instead of https, but from the post preview appears to work.

Here's the real test

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Does no one read anymore. Rick raised the size to 8meg
I've used the Campfire since Rick started hosting and every time whether it be for avatar or a pic on the forums, it specifies that my pic is too big and needs to be sized down to the size of the avatars or so. ...unless you're talking about some change he's made literally, in the last couple of days.
© 24hourcampfire