Home
Posted By: jpb Department of YUCK! - 07/19/17
Yuck! eek sick I'd hate to think that this story could be topped for "gross things found in food", but possibly on the 'Fire...

Family finds catheter in ice cream

[Linked Image]

A Canadian family who found an intravenous catheter in a tub of ice cream will need to undergo medical tests for the next six months.

Four people had already been eating the caramel pecan ice cream when one bit into a piece of the medical device.

The ice cream manufacture says it has requested a full investigation by Canada's food inspection agency.

Quebec health authorities told the family they must undergo blood tests for Hepatitis A, B, and C and for HIV.

They will have to be tested for the next six months.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency confirmed it is investigation the incident.

The family was celebrating the birth of a baby, and it was the new grandfather who bit down on the syringe. At first, he thought it was just a pecan.

"He put it in his mouth and found the tip of syringe," family member Carole-Anne Christofferson told Radio-Canada.

"He is the worst off, the most affected. He's not even able to speak about it."

The ice cream manufacturer, Laiterie de Coaticook, based in Trois-Rivières, Quebec, says the container tells them the exact date the ice cream was made and they are looking through surveillance footage.

"We have so many internal controls here and in food production in general that having something like that show up in a food item, it is not normal," a Coaticook spokesperson told the CBC.

/John
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Department of YUCK! - 07/19/17
John;
Top of the morning to you - well it's morning here in BC and we can actually see the other side of the valley so far! - anyway I hope all is well with you in Sweden sir.

I was going to say something like thanks for the interesting read, but perhaps thanks in this instance isn't really the exact sentiment I'm attempting to articulate.... wink

One wonders with all the checks and balances in food production how these instances arise, but they certainly seem to and with unsettling regularity anymore.

Anyway sir, we're off now for a day trip to somewhere - perhaps a quick jaunt into northern Washington and then back home. We're doing the "tourist in your own area" thing this round of vacation time, as the fires up north of us have limited the camping spots available and we're of the opinion that the folks who've been evacuated should have them before we do anyway.

All the best to you this summer sir and as always it's good to hear from you even when you're sharing stuff that makes me slightly uncomfortable! laugh

Dwayne
Posted By: jpb Re: Department of YUCK! - 07/19/17
Hi Dwayne

The article made me a bit uncomfortable too, but I'd hate to think of any of my friends or family back in Canada having such a surprise so I thought a little publicity might be in order!

However, maybe there was a bit of unconscious "Misery loves company" on my part? eek

All the best wishes for you and yours from Sweden,

John
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Department of YUCK! - 07/19/17
I hope they do not do that in the USA.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Department of YUCK! - 07/20/17
That's nasty.
© 24hourcampfire